Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I don't like how either Marvel or DC are doing it. I hate how both have outlined their superhero films clear till 2020, for two big reasons. One, things could go wrong between now and then that alters everything about that line-up-actors change, a movie fails to meet public expectations, filmmakers depart-and two, it ruins the surprise of what is to come for us fans. I'd like to get teased about figures like Black Panther, Miss Marvel and Dr. Strange in the films themselves instead of having their solo adventures uncovered in a few unsatisfying seconds at some press junket.

I get what you're saying. I don't find a problem with them scheduling, internally, their upcoming line up, they kind of have to, it's their public release of their line up that I have a problem with. It's in that sense that I think that Marvel is doing better because we didn't see their line up schedule only one film in, we saw it ten films in, after they'd already proven success with adapting properties that were largely unknown. I don't like that they did it, I think it's a big mistake as their line up has already been shaken up by the Marvel/Sony partnership over Spider-Man, which has pushed a few films back further.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Dark costume? It's just like the one from the comics, as is the gritty tone. I thought you'd be through the roof with this.
    Oh, Batfleck's cool. Supe & WW look like like they just swam through mud.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I don't like how either Marvel or DC are doing it. I hate how both have outlined their superhero films clear till 2020, for two big reasons. One, things could go wrong between now and then that alters everything about that line-up-actors change, a movie fails to meet public expectations, filmmakers depart-and two, it ruins the surprise of what is to come for us fans. I'd like to get teased about figures like Black Panther, Miss Marvel and Dr. Strange in the films themselves instead of having their solo adventures uncovered in a few unsatisfying seconds at some press junket.

I get what you're saying. I don't find a problem with them scheduling, internally, their upcoming line up, they kind of have to, it's their public release of their line up that I have a problem with. It's in that sense that I think that Marvel is doing better because we didn't see their line up schedule only one film in, we saw it ten films in, after they'd already proven success with adapting properties that were largely unknown. I don't like that they did it, I think it's a big mistake as their line up has already been shaken up by the Marvel/Sony partnership over Spider-Man, which has pushed a few films back further.

Of course, we also have to consider the leaks that can happen of these line-ups. The sad state of this technological world of ours is that sooner or later, everything is leaked. The way I see it, even if Marvel wanted to keep their line-up of future films heavily under wraps, someone would've uncovered their secrets and released it regardless. It's depressingly inevitable these days.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Here's a great piece of concept art that shows off what the bat armor will look like that Batman uses to face off with Superman:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Batsuit-Batman-May-Use-Fight-Superman-Looks-Incredible-71201.html

Again, very Frank Miller, and very good.
    That armored batsuit means business! And I love the regular one too! You know, I frequent therpf.com (Replica Prop Forum) now and then, and believe it or not, there is a surprisingly high number of people who HATE the suit! Can't please everyone apparently, but I think this new batsuit makes all the old movie versions look bad; this looks like Batman leapt off the comic book page and into real life!
    edited May 2015 Posts: 28,694
    Exactly, @Master_Dahark. I love that we're finally getting a suit true to the comics, and The Dark Knight Returns is the ultimate source material for such a vision of the character. I can't wait to see Ben fighting in it. He looks absolutely beastly in it and is the first onscreen Batman I am generally terrified by.
    Here's a link with more concept art from the film:

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/new-batman-v-superman-dawn-justice-promo-art/

And some cool promotional posters that seem to confirm that their battle with take place on Batman's home turf:

CD3m0EvWoAAgOeF-1.jpg

CD3mwl4W0AA_leq-1-1.png

CD3m-8gWMAAW8qy-1-1.png
    Is that an Iron Man suit? I'm getting confused. Those comic book heroes are all so alike :-??
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Is that an Iron Man suit? I'm getting confused. Those comic book heroes are all so alike :-??

I can't tell if you're joking or not, but I personally don't think they could be more different.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    LOL, that thought had crossed my mind...
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I saw the picture earlier and I have to say...they all suck. Such uninspired looks, completely absent of personality or any kind of a special something. I wouldn't be able to identify any of these characters from one another because they don't have looks that feel familiar or remotely close to their personalities. Honestly, I've seen cosplay that puts each of these to absolute shame. I wasn't excited for this film, but now I care even less.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Somehow, the only one that looks awesome is Will Smith, how did that happen?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

The Bruce Willis-style baldness? ;)

It could very well be.

I love how DC is going ahead with what Sony didn't do with their once-solitary Spider-Man franchise and releasing a team-up movie about bad guys that we haven't met yet. It wouldn't have worked with the Sinister Six, and it won't work with Suicide Squad (hey... both SS...).

Guardians of the Galaxy worked well because it had such a small team, what with only five of them.

There are nine Squad members here, and the film has to set them all up, then team them up. Assuming we're looking at a two hour movie, we see one whole hour of that film dealing with introducing the characters. Considering I bet this'll be a ninety minute movie, that means we're looking at a half an hour introducing ten people (nine members of the Squad plus Amanda Waller) and their respective side characters.

Oh, and let's not forget that they also have to set up why they're teaming up.

I just don't see this movie working. Not one bit.
    Guardians of the Galaxy worked well because it had such a small team, what with only five of them.

Easy, the same way they did it with the Dirty Dozen. Because that's what Suicide Squad is : "The Dirty Dozen" with super-villains. And let me remind you that in the aforementioned movie, they were fourteen characters who needed introduction (the twelve convicts, the Colonel and his Sargent). So, it could work. Even if it's not the Squad I've read about (the one written by John Ostrander in the 80s-90s).
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    CEH0cMSUUAA_sJD.jpg
    This will shock you, @Gerard, but I wasn't that big a fan of Dirty Dozen.

It could very well be.

I love how DC is going ahead with what Sony didn't do with their once-solitary Spider-Man franchise and releasing a team-up movie about bad guys that we haven't met yet. It wouldn't have worked with the Sinister Six, and it won't work with Suicide Squad (hey... both SS...).

There are nine Squad members here, and the film has to set them all up, then team them up. Assuming we're looking at a two hour movie, we see one whole hour of that film dealing with introducing the characters. Considering I bet this'll be a ninety minute movie, that means we're looking at a half an hour introducing ten people (nine members of the Squad plus Amanda Waller) and their respective side characters.

I just don't see this movie working. Not one bit.

I agree, it's going to be a mess. And I think Sony are still going through with the Sinister Six film, even with the Marvel deal finalized. What a world.
    As far as this DC Cinematic Universe goes, I've seen Superman Begins Man of Steel, I'll watch Batman V. Superman, I might watch the Justice League movies just so that I can say "Ha. Marvel did this better years ago.", but I won't invest as much time and money into this as I have the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
    I wouldn´t say that cast pic is in any way rousing interest, but I think it´s too early to say wether the film is going to work or not. My first though was too that nine characters is way too much. Like in The Hobbit films, some of the dwarfs really had no purpose, the time simply wasn´t there to let them do things (come to think of it, the time would have been there, but that´s another matter).
    But there are ways to make it work. Introduction of characters doesn´t have to take long. Any good Western, let alone any Michael Mann crime film, introduces characters by just showing them onscreen. Because they express their thing. Because they are good actors with a good director. You see one glance of their face, and you know their history.
    Another possibility is, as was mentioned in the Dirty Dozen example, to focus on just a few characters, and have the rest as extensions.

I must admit though, if they pursue any of those ideas, they do a decent job hiding that on the above foto.
    My first though was too that nine characters is way too much. Like in The Hobbit films, some of the dwarfs really had no purpose, the time simply wasn´t there to let them do things.

And the Hobbit was a purposeful duology expanded into a trilogy. If there wasn't time there, what time will there be in Suicide Squad?
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited May 2015 Posts: 1,257
    I'm scratching my head over these costumes. Aside from Katana's mask, they don't look very comic book accurate. That's especially disappointing considering how accurate Batman's costume is.

Despite the early 2000's Gwen Stefani thing that Harley Quinn has going on, Margot Robbie still makes it look good.

0vFQJM4.jpg
    My first though was too that nine characters is way too much.

I wouldn't be surprised if a few of the lesser known characters get killed off (Slipknot and El Diablo, I'm looking at you).
    edited May 2015 Posts: 28,694
    Does Harley's shirt really say "Daddy's Lil Monster?" Christ almighty, just slay me now. The worst part about it is that this hunk of steaming trash is actually tied in to the DCCU that Snyder and co. have begun.
    Ric Flag looked better in Smallville.

Deadshot looks like Death stroke from Arrow! Deadshot in Arrow looks better also. Agree the whole thing looks trashy, though maybe it will make more sense in context of the film and they will clean up a bit pre Suicide mission. Though the fact they are holding weapons undermines that theory :-q
    Harley Quinn looks exactly like she does in the current comics.

Croc looks good

Deadshot looks also well like Deadshot to me

Like I said I may give Squad a shot. My one hope is joker and Quinn don't show up in Affleck's solo batman Deadshot and Killer Croc on the other hand
    Does Harley's shirt really say "Daddy's Lil Monster?" Christ almighty, just slay me now. The worst part about it is that this hunk of steaming trash is actually tied in to the DCCU that Snyder and co. have begun.

I'd put money on this film turning out much better than Man Of Steel and the new film. The actors (with the exception of Jai Courtney) are better and David Ayer is, in my opinion, infinitely more talented than Zack Snyder. Ayer wrote Training Day and wrote and directed End Of Watch and Fury. He's great at characterisation and creating exciting, intense, gritty, atmospheric thrillers and action films. Yeah Sabotage was pretty shit imo but Skip "Die Hard 5" Woods was one of the credited writers so I think we can blame him for that one rather than Ayer.

Zack Snyder on the other hand is the man behind Sucker Punch, 300 and Man Of Steel. I thought the Dawn Of The Dead remake was alright but I'm not a fan of his at all. Suicide Squad has Will Smith, a very talented charismatic actor, in what I'm assuming is the lead. Batman vs Superman has Henry Cavill returning and he's very boring imo (although Man Of Steel's script probably did him no favours) and seems like a fairly limited actor. Ben Affleck is the other lead and he looks pretty badass as Batman but I don't think he's anywhere near as talented an actor as Margot Robbie or Will Smith. Plus, Jesse Eisenberg vs Jared Leto. Not even a contest really is it.

So I wouldn't write this off as shit and complain about how it's connected to the universe Snyder is making because I think this film has the potential to be better than anything Snyder has done.
    Better than Man of Steel? That's funny. While that was quite a smart film with reverberating themes, this movie looks to lack anything even the slightest bit thought-provoking. This so-called talented cast doesn't have me excited either.
    http://batman-news.com/2015/05/15/killer-croc-full-body-suicide-squad/

I like the look of Killer Croc and I honestly hope he makes an appearance in Affleck's solo Batman film Honestly an opening scene like Hush would be great.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited May 2015 Posts: 40,473
    I think a lot of 'Suicide Squad' looks a little too cosplay to me. Then again, most of what we've seen is BTS, so I'm sure it'll look much more professional and touched up come the film's release.