Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    What happened to all of the Robert Pattinson rumors?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    TripAces wrote: »
    That would be the twilight of the Bond franchise. :P
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Those died along with Twilight I presume. :))
  • Haha I just read that article and it's so ridiculous! Robert Pattinson as Bond is unbelievable but Kristen Stewart as Bond Girl?? Haha I'd kill myself.

Finding a new Bond is really hard because the actor has to fit a special scheme... Difficult also because Bond has a lot of fans who want to "protect" their hero.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited April 2015 Posts: 11,139
    It's times like these where EON should renegotiate Craig's contract to have him at least do 6 in total.
    The thing with Elba is that he is perfect looking for the role. I'm not the biggest fan of the actor, mainly because every film I've seen of his has been pretty woeful, but just looking at the guy, he looks like James Bond to me. I understand people have an issue with his attitude, I can't understand that, as he's constantly plagued with Bond questions daily, he has to answer them somehow and in the most part he comes across as cordial and pleasant.

I don't really rate him as an actor, but not unlike say Brosnan (who is far from a good actor), they both look the part. I really don't care that he's black, to me it makes no difference. Bond is a character like Hamlet or any of those other great Shakesherepian roles and it all comes down to the actors interpretation, Bond films never profess to take place in any established reality. If they did we should be more concerned that he can change his face and never age, but we aren't, so why should his skin colour matter?

Elba's casting would be revolutionary, and I genuinely believe that if the rumours are true and Craig wants to leave after SP, Elba is the perfect actor to pick up the mantle and continue down the road Craig has already begun down.

He'll have to shave his little goatee off first.

idris-elba-in-mandela-long-walk-to-freedom-movie-2.jpg
    mandela-long-walk-to-freedom-idris-elba.jpg
    Idris-Elba-010.jpg
    ABC_Elba_Harris_MandelaMovie_LE_131127_16x9_992.jpg
    idris-elba-gq-magazine-october-2013-fall-style-02.jpg
    Idris+Elba+Mandela+NY+Premiere+3.jpg
    I don't think he has the right look for Bond, at all, racial considerations aside. He's too buff, looks too brutish. But nevertheless he's too old to succeed to Craig and in itself his arrogant attitude disqualifies him. I haven't seen someone self promoting so much since what's his name from the Fantastic 4 movies. And this is a real disappointment to me as I admired his work as an actor.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    Dear EON, I hope you disregard this thread when the time comes.

I'm sure they're enjoying it for the comedy value alone! Not singling out anyone here, but I do see a distinct lack of imagination in some of these picks, along the lines of "This person has played a blockbuster action hero, therefore he should play another blockbuster action hero!".

Here's a quick cut-out-and-keep guide to who is and isn't viable for the next Bond.

Has your candidate played a superhero or other big action lead? If yes - he's not playing Bond.
    Is he an established 'name' actor who can command 7 figure paydays? If yes - he's not playing Bond.
    Is he American? If yes - he's not playing Bond.
    Is it Idris Elba? If yes - he's not playing Bond.

If the answer to all of the above is no, then post his name here and we'll all criticize it and tell you why he isn't suitable :)

This rules Dominic Cooper out rumour he is going to be AMC comics Preacher.
    I wish eveyone would forget about this Idris Elda as Bond rubbish. It's boring now. Aint gonna happen for obvious reasons. Tom Hardy next up please or Jason Isaacs as an ageing Bond for a period flick set during the cold war. After all the Russians are the bad guys again so why not have an 80's era flilm ala Living Daylights?
    I think the future Bond actor is most likely a complete unknown right now.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Elba is perfect for Dr. Kananga/ Mr Big as per Flemings novel but not for Bond. Owen may have been borderline ok. Christian Bale would have been fantastic.
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Not online Bond fans, just people who want a black person playing an icon role. That easy. Its not HIS fans, its people who vote for black. They would go for Mickey Mouse, if that was black.

Exactly. If we suggested Jude Law for Shaft or Blade that would be stupid! However, if you say no to a black Bond you automatically become a racist. I am in no way racist but I state the obvious fact from Femings book that bond is a white character, just as axel foley is a black character.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Elba is perfect for Dr. Kananga/ Mr Big as per Flemings novel but not for Bond. Owen may have been borderline ok. Christian Bale would have been fantastic.

I thought Elba would have made a great Buonaparte Ignace Gallia. I actually wanted him to be cast as such. When Ejiofor was rumored as the villain of Bond 24 I advocated for Elba instead if the villain was meant to be black. Because it was obvious to me that Elba was both the best actor and the more menacing of the two. But because of his attitude I don't want him to get any role in a Bond movie.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited April 2015 Posts: 4,554
    I know I'll take a lot of crap for this, but there are a lot worse options than Pattinson. I am not saying he'd be my choice or in my Top 5, but I think I could live with it. I guess what I'm saying is, that if Barb and Michael put him through a screen test, and he's the choice, I'll go with it and trust it.
    Ludovico wrote: »

I think you are dead right. If Craig does B25 which is likely, a new Bond won't be announced until that film is out, so it could be 4-7 years. Studios are gearing their big action films at younger and younger audiences and EON will be all but forced to go young. That means the next Bond is likely now in his 20s and still developing as an actor. Like Craig, EON will want an actor that has proven his acting chops on film, not a major name, and will be cheap. The new Bond may, or may not be black, but he surely won't be Elba. That's why Pascal's leaked email was so illogical. He'll be 15 years too old for the part when the new Bond is filmed.
    smitty wrote: »

I think you are dead right. If Craig does B25 which is likely, a new Bond won't be announced until that film is out, so it could be 4-7 years. Studios are gearing their big action films at younger and younger audiences and EON will be all but forced to go young. That means the next Bond is likely now in his 20s and still developing as an actor. Like Craig, EON will want an actor that has proven his acting chops on film, not a major name, and will be cheap. The new Bond may, or may not be black, but he surely won't be Elba. That's why Pascal's leaked email was so illogical. He'll be 15 years too old for the part when the new Bond is filmed.

Elba is already too old even if the role was available. I seriously doubt we'll have a Bond cast in his 40s anymore. Both Moore and Brosnan looked younger and were from a time when movies were released in much shorter delays. So my bet is for an early to mid 30s actor when cast as Bond. Which means I'll be looking a lot at British actors in their 20s on tv and stage now.
    I know I'll take a lot of crap for this, but there are a lot worse options than Pattinson. I am not saying he'd be my choice or in my Top 5, but I think I could live with it. I guess what I'm saying is, that if Barb and Michael put him through a screen test, and he's the choice, I'll go with it and trust it.

My problem with Pattinson is that he has the acting talent of a plank of wood.

I thought Elba would have made a great Buonaparte Ignace Gallia. I actually wanted him to be cast as such. When Ejiofor was rumored as the villain of Bond 24 I advocated for Elba instead if the villain was meant to be black. Because it was obvious to me that Elba was both the best actor and the more menacing of the two. But because of his attitude I don't want him to get any role in a Bond movie.

I agree. I would add that Elba is a good actor and quite cool. But he is totally unsuitable for the role of James Bond. As a villain/ fellow agent I'd still want him despite his press rants though.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    The fact that so many of you keep going on about Elba in any capacity is just hyping things up in his favour. All the arguments of why he shouldn't or couldn't be Bond is the same thing over and over. The less said about him being Bond the better, otherwise expect to here more and more about him potentially being linked to the role or how he should be. You guys are giving him free press!
    doubleoego wrote: »
    The fact that so many of you keep going on about Elba in any capacity is just hyping things up in his favour. All the arguments of why he shouldn't or couldn't be Bond is the same thing over and over. The less said about him being Bond the better, otherwise expect to here more and more about him potentially being linked to the role or how he should be. You guys are giving him free press!

I don't think so. Our influence in social medias is rather limited and peripheral to say the least. He burned his chances, if he ever had any, by being so darn arrogant and self promoting. So we are reacting to this, as a backlash he himself created.
    I don't think Elba has been self promoting, it's not like he's trying to start a twitter campaign to get him the part or anything. He just talks about how he'd like to play the role when he's asked about it in interviews. And because he's a famous successful actor, he gets interviewed a lot, and because him becoming Bond is something that many have suggested (including high profile people such as the former head of Sony and the current Moneypenny Naomi Harris) and that has gained a lot of media attention, he gets asked about it a lot in interviews (which, again, he has a lot of due to his success as an actor). It's not his fault.

I don't think he's gonna get the role but then this thread isn't just about who should play Bond in the future. It's also about actors who could have/should have played Bond in the past and I think Elba fits that category. He would've been an amazing Bond imo.

At the moment my favorite choice is Jack O'Connell (assuming it's gonna be a few more years before the next Bond takes over, which will give him time to age a bit). He's an amazing charismatic actor that'd be great for Bond imo.

Oh, and I thought of another name for the could have/should have played Bond category (again, before people state the obvious and say he'll be too old, could have, in the past). Jack Davenport.

I know a lot of people will say Colin Firth after Kingsman but, as badass and amazing as he was in that movie (really made me see him in a whole new light), I still don't think he was right for Bond. I think Bond should have a sort of ruggedness about him that he just doesn't have. He went to Eton and everything sure but he got expelled and never really fit in there, he's a "Scottish peasant" at heart, not a public schoolboy, and I'm not sure Firth conveys that. Moore didn't have it either but he got away with it because he was so entertaining, not sure anyone else could.
    edited April 2015 Posts: 2,138
    The Elba things done we all seem to be posting the same thing. He will be too old, regardless of race or creed. It was clear ploy at the time to negotiate down Craig's contract by Sony floating names it's all industry BS politics. Some others don't seem to grasp the point of this topic. It's to name promising young actors who around the time Dan hangs up his holster would be the right age, look and most importantly talented enough to come in. We are likely looking at 4 years from now but it is fun to speculate. Fassbender would also be too old. I reckon EON will want an actor young enough to do a decade 5 films over 10 years. Someone around 32-35 at the time of taking on the mantle so it's likely someone at present aged 28-31. British or Irish and likely someone coming through TV drama or theatre.

The likes of Jonathan Bailey
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0047332/
    And in line with Flemings vision too.
    And in line with Flemings vision too.

I'm not so sure that is important in EON'S decision making process after all Fleming did not want Connery because he was too athletic and DC is a polar opposite of Flemings drawing and description.

Some others don't seem to grasp the point of this topic. It's to name promising young actors who around the time Dan hangs up his holster would be the right age, look and most importantly talented enough to come in

And also to name actors who could have played the role in the past.
    Aaron Taylor Johnson is probably one too keep an eye on still only 25 certainly got the pysical aspect since he hit the gym for Godzilla, British was exceptional as a young John Lennon in Nowhere Boy.
    edited April 2015 Posts: 2,138
    Aaron Taylor Johnson is probably one too keep an eye on still only 25 certainly got the pysical aspect since he hit the gym for Godzilla, British was exceptional as a young John Lennon in Nowhere Boy.

Love the tweedy suit he wore in GQ shoot

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/08/15/article-0-1B503ECA000005DC-581_640x879.jpg
    edited April 2015 Posts: 5,131
    The first four bond films were very faithful to the novels so I don't agree with that. DC is like Flemings bond in his character......the only real difference is the hair color. CR also followed Flemings core story. It wouldn't matter in Elba turned 38 on the eve of recasting he is wrong wrong wrong based on flemings character and the legacy of the last 23 films. I would be happy with an unknown actor in keeping with tradition.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2015 Posts: 15,690
    Aaron Taylor is a no go IMO. Plays in 2 superhero franchises (Kick-Ass and the Marvel Universe)
    I've heard him suggested before but I'm not sold. He was good in Kick Ass but he was one of the problems with the new Godzilla film imo. Completely lacking in charisma, really bored me.