The James Bond Wardrobe/Style Thread

Comments

thanks @Sark. :) . Interesting @Timmer, I didn't know that. Guess Fleming was a Canada fan. Maybe in Bond 25 we can have a visit.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited March 2015 Posts: 11,139
    11018364_593651370671333_1748257681_n.jpg

26F6EA4600000578-3010223-image-m-43_1427247601093.jpg

26F6EA7C00000578-3010223-image-m-48_1427248039373.jpg

26F6A22300000578-3010223-image-m-10_1427242994235.jpg
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    ^^ Maybe delete that 2nd photo. It might be kind of spoilery for a Wardrobe/Style thread
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Indeed it is. It was posted in the Production thread too.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited March 2015 Posts: 11,139
    Ok...will do.

...done.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I know it's been said many times before, but the colour is better. Suits him better than SF.

I'm personally not happy with the rest based on what I'm looking at (still way too form-fitting), including the shirt collar. It could look better on screen I suppose.
    The main things I see here are that it actually fits in the shoulder/chest area, the biggest issue is the skirt is too short, and too narrow causing the quarters to open a lot. The trouser rise is low too which exacerbates that. I think the trousers actually have enough length though, they just tend to ride up in the action sequence which is normal.

He needs either a different tie knot, or preferably a heavier tie. That little four in hand knot look ridiculous on him.
    doghouse wrote: »
    the biggest issue is the skirt is too short, and too narrow
    The cry of mothers to their daughters everywhere
    ;) :))
    lol
    Anyone know who the lady in the panama style hat in the last picture is?
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 4,622
    I think he looks real good in the blue suit.
    Fits well enough. He does look like Bond, dressed well, and on mission.
    As for the tie knot, no comment, other than Bond must never have a Windsor.
    Fleming attributed the worst character flaws to those who sported such garish knotting.
    @999 I think Fleming had natural English affinity for Canada, with us being of the British Commonwealth, and partners in the British war effort, not to mention Fleming's association with the great allied spymaster, Sir William Stephenson, the quiet Canadian, of A Man Called Intrepid fame.
    Fleming came to know Toronto, through his wartime experience at the secret commando camp, Camp X, in Oshawa.
    She certainly warrants closer inspection.
  • doghouse wrote: »
    they just tend to ride up in the action sequence

Is that what you crazy kids call it these days?
    I deleted my response re lady in hat, as I am not so sure she is extra anymore due to other photos of her elsewhere.
    I am amazed at the level of detail that the gentleman behind suitsofjamesbond.com is able to extract from photos that are often taken from a distance or not the best quality. I look forward to all his commentary on the outfits in SPECTRE going forward.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Sark wrote: »
    Anyone know who the lady in the panama style hat in the last picture is?

Think her name is Claire Matthews shes a hair stylist.
    It is difficult to find new ways to describe ill fitting suits.
    Frankly, if my tailor proposed a fit like this I'd have him flayed to within an inch of his life with an elephant's foreskin.
    It is all really quite depressing. Clearly, some ne'er-do-well or perhaps even DC himself thinks it makes him look 'ripped' when in fact, it just makes him look like Gary Barlow's older brother.
    Anybody with a molecule of sartorial sense will see that this is wrong.
    Beyond the suit, his collar shape is completely inappropriate for his face and yes, of course, the tie and knot are incorrect. Somebody should get him a Charvet seven fold silk or a knitted tie and show how a decent sized four in hand knot should look.
    I also think that you have to be careful with accessories. Sunglasses should rarely be worn with a suit and I'm not a huge fan of pocket squares. It's like wearing a Panama hat with sunglasses — unless you are reading a book in a hammock or at Wimbledon, one should give way for the other.
    If you look at all the great sartorial aces : Delon, Peck, Grant, McQueen et all, they are from the less is more school.
    All in all, this is not progressing well. I just hope 'M' will keep his sartorial end up!
    So bored of your 50 ' s fashion sense Craig looks amazing end of.
    Villiers53 wrote: »
    Jany Temime and Tom Ford would probably laugh at that foolish statement, just like anyone else with a little bit of common sense.
    Beyond the suit, his collar shape is completely inappropriate for his face and yes, of course, the tie and knot are incorrect.
    Fashion, style and tailoring are not exact sciences.
    This thread is pretty frustrating for anyone with a sense of proportion and nuance. He shouldn't be some frozen caricature nor does he look amazing. It's somewhere in between and it's difficult to discuss debate the pros and cons when everyone is taking such binary views.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    It is difficult to find new ways to describe ill fitting suits.
    Frankly, if my tailor proposed a fit like this I'd have him flayed to within an inch of his life with an elephant's foreskin.
    It is all really quite depressing. Clearly, some ne'er-do-well or perhaps even DC himself thinks it makes him look 'ripped' when in fact, it just makes him look like Gary Barlow's older brother.
    Beyond the suit, his collar shape is completely inappropriate for his face and yes, of course, the tie and knot are incorrect. Somebody should get him a Charvet seven fold silk or a knitted tie and show how a decent sized four in hand knot should look.
    I also think that you have to be careful with accessories. Sunglasses should rarely be worn with a suit and I'm not a huge fan of pocket squares. It's like wearing a Panama hat with sunglasses — unless you are reading a book in a hammock or at Wimbledon, one should give way for the other.
    If you look at all the great sartorial aces : Delon, Peck, Grant, McQueen et all, they are from the less is more school.
    All in all, this is not progressing well. I just hope 'M' will keep his sartorial end up!

I agree with you regarding the fit - it's bad. Too short and too tight. One size too small.

hQWBLNZ.jpg

However, I completely disagree about the sunglasses and pocket squares. I think he's only wearing sunglasses between the takes, but there's nothing wrong with wearing them with the suit in sunny weather. Pocket squares are a great accessory.

from-russia-with-love-bonds-istanbul-suits-pt-L-BHxxZm.jpeg

1963_FromRussiaWithLove_Film_024.jpg

from-russia-with-love-bonds-istanbul-suits-pt-L-_xs7DK.jpeg

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Bond should ALWAYS have pocket squares. Classic English styling.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited March 2015 Posts: 7,518
    No sunglasses? I'll just keep posting this photo:

xc2f7b.jpg
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Sunglasses are totally fine for 007 when appropriate yes.

xc2f7b.jpg

Please don't.
    He looks awful. Suit again way too small with awful lapels and that haircut looks like it was done with a lawn mower!

However, I completely disagree about the sunglasses and pocket squares. I think he's only wearing sunglasses between the takes, but there's nothing wrong with wearing them with the suit in sunny weather. Pocket squares are a great accessory.

Connery looks amazing.
    Fabulous suit and yes, for the Ferry scene, the sunglasses were more than appropriate.
    What a contrast — those guys got it so right!
    :) :)
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

xc2f7b.jpg

Please don't.
    He looks awful. Suit again way too small with awful lapels and that haircut looks like it was done with a lawn mower!

Are we looking at the same photo? Do I have to post it again? Because I will :)

You're completely detached from reality.

Connery looks amazing.
    Fabulous suit and yes, for the Ferry scene, the sunglasses were more than appropriate.
    What a contrast — those guys got it so right!

Did you fall off your dinosaur and hit your head???

The TF Midnight Blue tux has awful lapels??

OMG how can anyone take what you say seriously wakey wakey 2015 is calling.
    Vesper Lynd: All right... by the cut of your suit, you went to Oxford or wherever. Naturally you think human beings dress like that. But you wear it with such disdain, my guess is you didn't come from money, and your school friends never let you forget it. Which means that you were at that school by the grace of someone else's charity: hence that chip on your shoulder.