Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Whatever they come up with, it will have to be really really good to top the song that I heard. And I'm afraid any of these Sam Smiths can't.
    I was going through a friend's iTunes library and found this song dubbed "007SP". As soon as I played it I realized what it was, even though my friend had no idea as she is not a Bond fan. She said a good friend of hers who is a musician sent it to her. It sounded dark and sinister and modern. It had this mysterious synth or I don't know what it was that sounded as if Blofeld was an instrument. It still had strings and horns, but sounded very different than the stereotypical Bond songs. The lyrics were dark as well and spoke about death.

A few weeks later I go to my friend's birthday and she introduces me to the guy. I think he wasn't even 21. So I complimented him on the song and we started talking about it. He is a Bond fan and started writing the song as soon as the film was announced. He said he was inspired by the Aston Martin DB10 for the sound and only later in the process read the script (which took me another few weeks after that to find). He didn't know whether he was actually going to finish it as he was busy working on his album and getting signed. Plus he didn't think he'd have a shot at landing the job. He said he'd rather keep it and re-write the lyrics for another project. I hope it will eventually see the light of day. It would've been perfect for Spectre though.

Any chance to listen to/buy this song online?
  • Walecs wrote: »
    Whatever they come up with, it will have to be really really good to top the song that I heard. And I'm afraid any of these Sam Smiths can't.
    I was going through a friend's iTunes library and found this song dubbed "007SP". As soon as I played it I realized what it was, even though my friend had no idea as she is not a Bond fan. She said a good friend of hers who is a musician sent it to her. It sounded dark and sinister and modern. It had this mysterious synth or I don't know what it was that sounded as if Blofeld was an instrument. It still had strings and horns, but sounded very different than the stereotypical Bond songs. The lyrics were dark as well and spoke about death.

A few weeks later I go to my friend's birthday and she introduces me to the guy. I think he wasn't even 21. So I complimented him on the song and we started talking about it. He is a Bond fan and started writing the song as soon as the film was announced. He said he was inspired by the Aston Martin DB10 for the sound and only later in the process read the script (which took me another few weeks after that to find). He didn't know whether he was actually going to finish it as he was busy working on his album and getting signed. Plus he didn't think he'd have a shot at landing the job. He said he'd rather keep it and re-write the lyrics for another project. I hope it will eventually see the light of day. It would've been perfect for Spectre though.

Any chance to listen to/buy this song online?

I myself would love to have it. But what I heard was a demo. A well crafted demo, but still unfinished. He said he will eventually release it in some form if he ever finishes it. The guy's name is Ralf Rotier. In case he ever gets big you heard it from me first :))
    Yes, You Know My Name is the best post-Barry title track IMO. It bears listening to on its own, which most of the others don't. I think Adele and Jack White's are on about the same level for me. Adele's is more polished, but I think White's is more memorable in a strange way. Not much in it for me between those two. Surrender was also a great song - the best thing to have come out of the entire Brosnan era IMO, and a tragedy it was relegated to the end credits.

What's all this talk of the Stones, Eurythmics and Depeche Mode? Hilarious. Have any of them written a decent tune in the past two decades? Without Barry to inject the necessary genius, all of these acts would be awful. And Thomas Newman is not about to step into the breach to write a classic title song - because he doesn't have the ability to do it. They'd be better off asking his cousin, Randy. He did the job for Toy Story!
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I'm 42 and alongside film music is my main interest and I considerably invest in it, not free downloads I actually spend serious money on music still so I'd very much like this to be a great artist and not just a hugely popular flavour of the moment act.

Though that being said I don't think I'm the market EON is looking to appeal to if it was then Radiohead, U2 or Depeche Mode would where I'd be going but Babs and Mikey want the worldwide impact and established acts like those aren't likely to get the youngsters wet like Sam Smith or the return of Adele and that is the market they are looking to target. Plus the press is likely to be underwhelmed if it isn't something like Smith as they have no concern for acts unless they are in the charts.

Agreed Cornell undoubtedly with the assistance of Arnold delivered the best title song of the Craig era. Adele 's SF was substantial but I don't imagine I'll be craving to hear it in 20 years time outside of watching the film unlike the classics. I like White's effort but I'm a JW fan although it's the worst thing he's ever released.

From your lips to G-d's (EON's) ears. :)

Also agree about Arnold no doubt helping Cornell. Arnold was skilled at integrating the soundtrack and the title song, something Newman does not appear to be. Newman may be a competent composer but I just feel he is very ill suited to doing a Bond film and he didn't seem to help much with Adele's title song which was, for me, decent, but not great. I just think Smith is hugely overrated and when I heard a recent interview with him, he just made me roll my eyes. Granted he is a very young kid, I just fear him getting this gig, as we will then have to listen to him tie himself to Bond, endlessly promoting himself at what I think will be the expense of the film. Hope I'm wrong on all this.

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Getafix wrote: »
    Yes, You Know My Name is the best post-Barry title track IMO. It bears listening to on its own, which most of the others don't. I think Adele and Jack White's are on about the same level for me. Adele's is more polished, but I think White's is more memorable in a strange way. Not much in it for me between those two. Surrender was also a great song - the best thing to have come out of the entire Brosnan era IMO, and a tragedy it was relegated to the end credits.

What's all this talk of the Stones, Eurythmics and Depeche Mode? Hilarious. Have any of them written a decent tune in the past two decades? Without Barry to inject the necessary genius, all of these acts would be awful. And Thomas Newman is not about to step into the breach to write a classic title song - because he doesn't have the ability to do it. They'd be better off asking his cousin, Randy. He did the job for Toy Story!

Clearly you are not aware of how much great music Depeche Mode have written in the last 20 years, their latest album while not up with their greats still has some impressive moments and in the last 2 decades they've produced plenty of great songs. Barrel of Gun is undoubtedly one of those never great Bond themes.

DM wouldn't need Barry to produce something great they can do that kind of thing on their own thanks. Defending flavour of the moment Sam Smith but slagging off one of Britain's greatest bands of the last thirty years, I'd stick to slagging off Skyfall that's where your talents lie.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 11,425
    I was aware that DM were one of those 80s bands that refused to die, but have to admit I haven't actually heard any of their new songs since about 1987. Happy to listen to any recommendations. I see Barrel of a Gun was released in 1997, so not exactly recent material.

My defence of Sam Smith is more from a pragmatic perspective - like Adele, he'd be a canny marketing move. I don't personally hold out much hope of a classic song from anyone until EON starts insisting on the artist collaborating with the score composer, which I don't see happening while Newman is on board.

Not having heard DM for years, it's a bit unfair of me to dismiss them out of hand, but right now, based on what I can see, Sam Smith seems a smarter commercial move.

Just listened to Barrel of a Gun. Not bad but don't really see it as a Bond track or particularly understand why you think they're any more qualified than Sam Smith to do the title track.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2015 Posts: 23,883
    What's all this talk of the Stones, Eurythmics and Depeche Mode?

I just brought this up as a guess given there was talk by someone in the know that there might be a 'classic' act performing either the end titles or potentially the main title track as well. I don't have an opinion on it either way really.

Personally I too think Cornell's YKMN is far and away the best title track since Barry's days. I have a feeling it will be Sam Smith as well (just because EON got a lot of mileage out of Adele last time and they probably will want a similar effect this time, and Smith is hot at the moment - although I personally don't care for him at all).

I'd like a classic act to do it, but it's unlikely given the need to get marketing traction via airplay.

Someone mentioned Timberlake above, which I think would be tragic - I can't stand that self-aggrandizing smirky punk, although I reluctantly admit he's talented.

I'd like U2 to do it - they'd give us something edgy, like Cornell did.
    As much as I too don't like Timberlake, I'd be happy with anyone at this point other than Smith. I'd also love to see a classic act get this gig, but when they announced Newman again, I just lost all hope for a good musical outcome on the score and the title track. Hope I'm dead wrong.
    edited March 2015 Posts: 4,043
    U2 would knock it out the park, Bono and The Edge wrote GE which is easily the best of the Brosnan themes and Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me was definitely a Bond theme in spirit, pity the film it accompanied was nowhere near the quality.

Their new album shows they've still got it but they aren't going to cause the big media storm that Sam Smith or the return of Adele would bring on. I think it will be either of those two to be honest.

Although if another artist is possibly doing the end title theme at least we might have one decent tune associated with the film.

Look I'm not saying a Sam Smith lead theme is going to be terrible but his voice doesn't actually lend itself to something as sinister as SPECTRE and a harder edged approach would serve the film better. Adele's tortured ballad suited Skyfall's tone and story but that kind of thing is not what is likely to be one of the most full throttle Bond films of recent times needs.

Both the theme and score I feel are likely to be the most disappointing thing about SPECTRE but you can't everything and if it comes down to having a Barry quality score and theme but with a film similar to the quality of DAF, MR , OP or VTAK I'm happy to deal with underwhelming music if SPECTRE is as good as it looks.
    Totally agree. I'll take a good film too with a lesser score and title track, but I just hate to see the missed opportunity for something great, which Smith is just incapable of delivering. His voice is just all wrong for the style of film Spectre seems to want to be.
    Yes, I think GE was probably the best of the Brosnan songs - not much competition though really.

Surrender is perhaps better?
    Surrender being a full collaboration with the composer like YNMN is probably the best of that era but like you say not much competition when you got the likes of "I'm in a puddle on the floor" to top.
    I think Surrender is better than GE but technically it's not the title song. A shame EON didn't put it first.

Slightly off topic but I do think that for the fact Arnold was willing and able to help compose decent title songs and integrate them into the score that he was better than Newman.

Do you think Newman is even aware that integrating the title track melody into the score is the bedrock of most of the classic Bond scores?
    Lord help us! Don't mind either of them in the proper context, but together...? I hate these novelty duets.
    I think Surrender is better than GE but technically it's not the title song. A shame EON didn't put it first.

Slightly off topic but I do think that for the fact Arnold was willing and able to help compose decent title songs and integrate them into the score that he was better than Newman.

Do you think Newman is even aware that integrating the title track melody into the score is the bedrock of most of the classic Bond scores?

I imagine he does but I'm not sure it's his fault that they haven't done it since CR, I think the singer probably insists on who they collaborate with, the likes of Adele would no doubt wanted Epworth and no one else but who knows the politics behind this?

I think if Arnold had collaborated with Jack White we would have definitely had something better though than his and Keys version of AWTD. I don't hate the track at all I just think it could have been much better but White had to deliver it quite quickly considering Amy Winehouse was set to do it till late in the day, I think some people forget this, whereas Adele had much more time to craft her theme.
    Fair points. Has Newman even composed a song though? Is it within his repertoire? If he hasn't then that should have ruled him out from Bond IMO.
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    It's a rumor that came out back in January.
    it was discussed but remains just a rumor at the moment

It's a rumor that came out back in January.
    it was discussed but remains just a rumor at the moment

Hopefully it stays that way!

As Kristatos would say: "A very sick joke"
  • MansfieldMansfield Where the hell have you been?
    I would like to echo the sentiment for U2, who would be my desired choice to write and perform the title song for SPECTRE. Bono wrote an outstanding song for Goldeneye and the group has significant worldwide appeal. U2 as a whole has just the type of sound that would set the right tone for the film.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited March 2015 Posts: 4,554
    Fair points. Has Newman even composed a song though? Is it within his repertoire? If he hasn't then that should have ruled him out from Bond IMO.

Yes. He co-wrote "Down to Earth" with Peter Gabriel for the film Wall-E.

I was aware that DM were one of those 80s bands that refused to die, but have to admit I haven't actually heard any of their new songs since about 1987. Happy to listen to any recommendations. I see Barrel of a Gun was released in 1997, so not exactly recent material.

My defence of Sam Smith is more from a pragmatic perspective - like Adele, he'd be a canny marketing move. I don't personally hold out much hope of a classic song from anyone until EON starts insisting on the artist collaborating with the score composer, which I don't see happening while Newman is on board.

Not having heard DM for years, it's a bit unfair of me to dismiss them out of hand, but right now, based on what I can see, Sam Smith seems a smarter commercial move.

Just listened to Barrel of a Gun. Not bad but don't really see it as a Bond track or particularly understand why you think they're any more qualified than Sam Smith to do the title track.

Interesting that this came up, because I have always thought that song sounded like a Bond song.

If I had a choice for SP, it would be Coldplay. A British group has not done the theme since Duran Duran. Whats up with that? I think Coldplay could bring something to the table. "Charlie Brown" has the sound of a Bond title song:

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Oooohhh no. All for a british act, but not Coldplay.....the lead singers voice/ voice is fine for indie/ pop, but too weak for Bond.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Yes, I think GE was probably the best of the Brosnan songs - not much competition though really.

Surrender is perhaps better?

KD Lang & David Arnold's 'Surrender' is the best 007-song from the post Moore era, bar none. Last time I watched TND I played it on the iPod whilst muting the TV during the title sequence... just makes far more sense for the whole movie and soundtrack.

Closely followed by 'You know my name'.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Oooohhh no. All for a british act, but not Coldplay.....the lead singers voice/ voice is fine for indie/ pop, but too weak for Bond.

Then I can only imagine what you think of the aHa theme for TLD. :)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    TripAces wrote: »
    suavejmf wrote: »

Then I can only imagine what you think of the aHa theme for TLD. :)

A bit off topic, but a-Ha are reunited.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Slightly off topic but I think You Know my Name is better than "Goldfinger"

*grabs popcorn*

I never saw the appeal for Bassy. Anyone agree?

Anyone?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Last time I watched GF I found the title song and pretty much the entire soundtrack to be subpar, especially since it comes for the guy who composed the OHMSS, DAF, AVTAK and TLD soundtracks. GF is my least favorite Bassey effort for the series, and I would rank several non-Barry songs as better, most notably YKMN and Surrender.
    I don't rate Bassey's rendition of GF but I can't fault Barry's score, I would say only TB, YOLT & OHMSS are better. There is an argument for MR maybe but despite not rating the most overrated film of the series I still think the music is some of the best of the series.

Yes I do enjoy YKMN as a song more but Barry's instrumentals no chance, I'm not a fan of Tom Jones TB title track but the instrumental is sublime.

Bassey is much better served with DAF, no I hate the film but that alongside YOLT is probably the best title songs of the series. OHMSS doesn't count as it's an instrumental but that would be my all time favourite theme though.

I'll second Coldplay getting nowhere near Bond, Chris Martin has such a weedy voice. Bono or Gahan would be amazing, they both have powerful soulful voices well suited to a Bond theme but not some subpar U2/Radiohead tribute act like CP.

Radiohead thought would be incredible but that I'm afraid would be only in my dreams.
    I like Bassey. She defines the Bond sound imho.

GF is far from my favourite track, but it is iconic. I actually prefer DAF & the disco end credits for MR from her.

I also am not a big fan of the GF score either. I think Barry was still getting his feet wet. By TB he'd found his sound and just knocked it out of the park. I may be in the minority here, but I actually also really like Tom Jones's TB track. He really belts it out.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I actually think Goldeneye is one of the best Bond themes, personally. Probably my most listened to theme. Having said that, I can't stand U2 and would not want them to perform the SPECTRE track. If they want to write another song and have a different singer perform it, I would be okay with that.

My $0.02 :)