Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• CigaretteLeiterCigaretteLeiter United States
    scouse007 wrote: »
    As it's supposed to be Sam Smith who sings the song expect a ballad type song. However, you don't really need the title of the film in the song. OP, CR and QS didn't.

Unless it's something like this.

Fight, life’s a fight
    And I will win
    Yes, I am gonna win

And I’ll light the fuse
    It will make you loose
    And I will leave my mark on your soul
    Like a Spectre (Goldfinger type trumpet)

However I prefare this.

Out of the shadows steps the man
    The man who strikes fear in other mens hearts
    He's the man all men want to be
    He's the man the women all want to be seen with
    (Musical Dnnnnnn)
    He strikes like a Spectre (Goldfinger type trumpet) grabbing your heart.

IIRC, isn't that first bit Survival by Muse? ;;)
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    TripAces wrote: »
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Oooohhh no. All for a british act, but not Coldplay.....the lead singers voice/ voice is fine for indie/ pop, but too weak for Bond.

Then I can only imagine what you think of the aHa theme for TLD. :)

I actually think the TLD theme song (and score overall) is excellent. But in terms of Coldplay I just don't don't Chris Martin is a very good singer personally.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    It took us until the beginning of October to find out that Adele was singing Skyfall. I do hope we won't have to wait that long for SPECTRE.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    TripAces wrote: »
    Oooohhh no. All for a british act, but not Coldplay.....the lead singers voice/ voice is fine for indie/ pop, but too weak for Bond.

Then I can only imagine what you think of the aHa theme for TLD. :)

I actually think the TLD theme song (and score ove,rall) is excellent. But in terms of Coldplay I just don't don't Chris Martin is a very good singer personally.

Chris Martin is a dreadful singer, whereas Bono even in his 50's still has a powerful set of lungs, Martin has a weedy voice his vocal on the U2 rip off Fix You is atrocious.

I certainly hope Cold Patrol or Snow Play get nowhere near a Bond theme, especially for SPECTRE which deserves something very special and the idea of Adele doing this again doesn't fill me with much confidence. This needs a sinister sound, Depeche Mode, U2 or Radiohead would kill this but Adele and Sam Smith I'm not convinced.

• edited March 2015 Posts: 832
    I would very much like to see Lana Del Rey for the theme song. Her style in this one especially I feel would work perfectly with SPECTRE. Like this song is basically a bond theme.
  • Sam Smith is about as bad as Madonna. I hope they'll announce Adele as the returning title song singer soon.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited March 2015 Posts: 2,138
    ComingSoon.net put question to Barbara and Michael in an interview yesterday

Q: Any idea yet who will be providing the theme song for “Spectre”?

Broccoli: We’re still figuring that out. That’s one of the last pieces in the puzzle. But it’s one of the fun things we look forward to… We’ve had a lot of interest from a lot of exciting people. It’s a long list and we’re working our way through it.

Looks like we will be made to wait.

Full interview here http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/features/424095-cs-interview-spectre-producers-barbara-broccoli-and-michael-g-wilson
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    So Whishaw lied when he said he already knew the performer?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Or she's fudging a bit now. If the performer has been selected, they may not reveal that information; it's easier just to say 'we're working on it'.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Could it be Christoph Waltz? I sure as hell hope it isn t Brosnan.
    Walecs wrote: »
    So Whishaw lied when he said he already knew the performer?
    If MGW and BB are being honest about not having a title artist, then Whishaw may have heard something and believed it to be set in stone. He didn't necessarily lie, no.
  • RC7RC7
    talos7 wrote: »
    Or she's fudging a bit now. If the performer has been selected, they may not reveal that information; it's easier just to say 'we're working on it'.

This is the impression I got.
    Most important of any artist that will do the themesong, the song should be incorporated with the soundtrack by Thomas Newman.

And let it be a sinister sounding or an intimate song.
    Let us not completely rule out an instrumental, either. I know Barry is dead, but still.
    Muddyw wrote: »
    Most important of any artist that will do the themesong, the song should be incorporated with the soundtrack by Thomas Newman.

And let it be a sinister sounding or an intimate song.

Exactly. I am worried that Babs describes it as the last bit of the puzzle.
    More often than not, it is the last bit of the puzzle. Along with the main titles.
  • Maybe things have just changed since Whishaw said he knew who it was.
    So maybe Ben does not know what "know" means?
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 11,425
    More often than not, it is the last bit of the puzzle. Along with the main titles.

I want the title song to come before the score in terms of timeline. That way they can incorporate it into the score.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    In Babs we trust. I love her. She's a great custodian of Cubbys empire. I trust her to deliver the goods.
    Getafix wrote: »

I want the title song to come before the score in terms of timeline. That way they can incorporate it into the score.

The score is also, naturally, one of the last bits of the puzzle. We shall see how it works out this time. If it is a strong and fitting theme, having it incorporated into the score has worked wonders many times before, so agree on that. But it is not a must, necessarily.
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    I honestly think, if he was still alive, Johnny Cash would be a great choice for the SP theme. Just replace the lyric John with James in God's Gonna Cut You Down and you've got a perfect SP theme.
    I honestly think, if he was still alive, Johnny Cash would be a great choice for the SP theme. Just replace the lyric John with James in God's Gonna Cut You Down and you've got a perfect SP theme.

Johnny Cash's version of Thunderball...

At least the main song should have a moody cello. Like in the teaser. I hope it will be a small song on the likes of Nobody Does It Better and For Your Eyes Only.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    The problem with Sam Smith is that he doesn't even have a single song that sounds Bondian, whereas Adele already did.
    Just because he hasn't yet (I haven't heard his work), with the right composer/songwriter he may have vocal skills we're not away of and he hasn't tapped yet - if he is the title artist, I say give him a chance. He can't be do any worse than the techo DAD.
    ..Deep (Male?) voice in the Antic's&Style of From Russia with love..perhaps as a nod to today and tomorrow and every day thereafter-as eternity prescribes...?!
    ..as the past is running up behind (Bond)..and almost passes him enroute..
    ..In the Service of Nothing to Talk (about)..I Will remain..!
    Sincerely Yours.
    The problem with Sam Smith is that he doesn't even have a single song that sounds Bondian, whereas Adele already did.

I think the concept of what is the Bondian sound has coped with lots of variety of the years. With the right song I'm sure Sam Smith would do a decent job. But it does sound like it's still quite up in the air.

I liked the old way of doing things more, with the composer of the score having more of a role in the title song. Whenever they split the title song from the main composer you end up with a sub-par Bond score IMO.

Is there any suggestion that Newman might be involved in the title song this time?