The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Sorry to have asked @MajorDSmythe, I haven't seen the 2013 film yet. So I wasn't sure.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited March 2015 Posts: 13,894
    They are a bit of a mess. I had to work it out myself, before posting. Despite a massive plot hole, I didn't dislike Texas Chainsaw 3D. I liked the concept at the centre of the film. It's a pity that we won't see that taken further.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    So this mean the new prequel will see a return of the characters of the original 1974 film? Played by new actors, obviously.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I guess so. It would be a nice touch if they cast Gunnar Hansen as one of the family members.
    I'm gonna watch the Hellraiser films for the first time this weekend. Looking forward to it, but it looks like the most recent films will be a bit of a chore to watch! :-O
    I'm gonna watch the Hellraiser films for the first time this weekend. Looking forward to it, but it looks like the most recent films will be a bit of a chore to watch! :-O

The first one is a classic! Enjoy!!! 8-X
    Thanks @RogueAgent! :D
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Keep us posted on your thoughts! I love the first four (the third being my favorite), and everything else after that is an absolute chore.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Keep us posted on your thoughts! I love the first four (the third being my favorite), and everything else after that is an absolute chore.

Yes, do keep us updated. I still have not seen the last one, Revelations, but everything, and I DO mean everything, I have heard about it has been severely universally negative. Like @Creasy47, I think the first 4 are the best, but Bloodline is my favourite.

Has anyone heard the lastet about Leatherface...?

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3335733/meet-mother-leatherface-exclusive/

Great casting, can't say that I was expecting it.
    edited March 2015 Posts: 15,691
    Oh dear guys, I forgot the new Formula 1 season started this weekend, so this will take up a big part of my weekend, so I'll have to start my marathon later. :(( But i'll keep you posted as things progresses. And yes @MajorDSmyne, I watched the trailer for Revelations to see if it was that bad, and it did seem quite, if not very awful. But ok, i sat through Superman 4 and Batman & Robin. b-(
    To be fair to Superman 4 and Batman & Robin, someone, somewhere, actually wanted to make those films. Nobody wanted to make Hellraiser: Revelations, it was only made because Dimension Films were at risk of losing the rights to the series.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I love the prospect of reading your thoughts, @DaltonCraig007! Please keep us posted. :)

My ranking:

1) Hellraiser
    2) Hellbound

3) Bloodline
    4) Hell On Earth

*a thousand years*

5) Hellseeker
    6) Deader
    7) Inferno

*one death of the universe and one Big Bang later*

8) Revelations (see @MajorDSmythe's spot-on comments)

guilty pleasure: Hellworld (yeah, I really dig this one, despite its countless flaws)
    Happy Friday the 13th!

Perhaps I'll celebrate by watching a little Jason. Or maybe since I've never seen any, maybe today's s good day to finally watch Hellraiser
    The Babadook received such a limited release in my city. Despite the great reviews and I never saw it.
    I now understand it will be on DVD around mid April.
    Any takers?

Ok can some one explain what is supposed to be scary here it just seems like a bad found footage film cheaply done and annoying.

Am I missing something here?
    @OHMSS69, loved 'The Babadook.' Creeped me out the whole time, and it had some truly impressive acting in it. Scared the pants off of me a few times, too.
    I have not seen it myself, but I have heard some good things about The Babadook. IIRC, it drew quite a bit of attention at the 2014 FrightFest. It came out on DVD here last month, so I will have to pick a copy up.
    Ooooh I didn't know it was out to buy! I had to pay to watch it on Amazon, ha ha

I'd be happy to have it in my collection. Along with the book itself!!
    I figure this sort of fits here.

Those 'Funko Pop Vinyls' are really popular now- I recently picked up Michael Myers & Jason, but decided they were too cute. They both got complete repaints!
    Here are the originals:

41QYmzCycwL.jpg41HDP83LnjL.jpg

jasonmichael_zpsdw8zt0zc.jpg

All credit goes to my girlfriend, lol
    I've seen these over on Lair Of The Octopus. They do look rather sweet., though not your ones, @Master_Dahark. All jokes aside, those repaints look so much better than the figures off the peg.
    Wow, those repaints definitely look more spot on, kudos to your girlfriend, @Master_Dahark! I really like the muddying of Jason's coat.
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3337540/friday-13th-nabs-hannibal-writer/

I'm starting to think that this new Friday will be like Duke Nukem: Forever. It will be pushed back again, and again, and again, and again, until it becomes a joke. Just think, we could have had a sequel to the reboot in 2012, and another this year.
    @MajorDSmythe, those were my thoughts when I spotted that article last night. After numerous delays, the film will finally gear up, and we'll be left with something horrible. I wish they would've barreled on after the reboot was released and given us a new film ASAP that took place in the winter. That was a big missed opportunity there.
    The winter setting could should still be used. Such a setting would allow for some very inventive kills, it would be too good to pass up.
    @MajorDSmythe, it makes too much sense. They really haven't utilized it before, and like you said, it would make for some inventive kills and scenes. Imagine one of the victims running through the woods, finding a nice hiding spot, until he or she realizes that it's pointless because of their foot prints, so they have to improvise.
    One of the more recent Wrong Turn movies had a snowy setting.

I really like snow for horror films. I like the isolation by the elements, the threat of an impossible-to-survive cold, the reflection of moonlight in the snow, ... Part of what makes The Thing work so well, along with The Abominable Snowman and even the heavily criticized Whiteout, is the frosty setting.

It would make perfect sense for a F13 film to make Jason go frigid. By the way, in one of the F13 comics, Jason does indeed go snowy. And I thought it worked. ;-)
    There's a certain emptiness attributed with snowy settings in horror movies. It's almost always the thought that you're trapped in a blistering storm, an unbelievable amount of miles from civilization. Some great examples of that are the two films you listed, 'The Thing' and 'Whiteout.' Especially the finales, when it's an all-or-nothing scenario.
    Talking of horror films in snowy settings, has anyone seen Dead Snow? It's supposed to be a horror comedy, but I didn't think it was all that good at either, Evil Dead 2 it was not.
    @MajorDSmythe, I saw the first one a long while back, I don't really remember what my thoughts were on it. Then again, I haven't always been the biggest horror-comedy fan.
    I was seriously disappointed watching Dead Snow. I loved the concept, figured it would be like Outpost with perhaps a little bit of comedy, yet all I got were insultingly bad jokes, extremely poor acting and nothing scary nor particularly gory (in the good way). It could have been good; it should have been good. It ended up being anything but.