The James Bond Wardrobe/Style Thread

1272830323357

Comments

  • Posts: 260
    JCRendle wrote: »
    doghouse wrote: »
    JCRendle wrote: »
    doghouse wrote: »
    999 wrote: »
    Figured I'd just call it as it is.
    Other than the fact that that probably isn't how it is.
    It's differing opinions, it's not a "fact" that it isn't as as much as it isn't "calling it as it is" - @999 and @doghouse - please respect that not everyone agrees with you, but it doesn't mean that one opinion is right and another opinion is wrong.
    I don't really see how disagreeing with someone who says that critique of the suits not fitting only comes from old fat people is in anyway incorrect. In "fact", I know it's not correct.
    There was more to his opinion than that. The latter part is his opinion...
    999 wrote: »
    Bond is classy, but needs to look like he could beat you to a pulp. I think the Tom Ford look of SP and SF suits Craig best. Love it. Dresses should show off a women's figure in a classy tasteful way... suits are the equivalent for men.

    I will say I do prefer the SP colours so far as opposed to the SF ones. The "washed out" comment was a good description.

    Great styling IMO.

    This is the debate, not the "overweight" part that you're picking out.

    I didn't realize you got to tell me which part of his comment I could debate.
  • Posts: 1,552
    doghouse wrote: »
    JCRendle wrote: »
    doghouse wrote: »
    JCRendle wrote: »
    doghouse wrote: »
    999 wrote: »
    Figured I'd just call it as it is.
    Other than the fact that that probably isn't how it is.
    It's differing opinions, it's not a "fact" that it isn't as as much as it isn't "calling it as it is" - @999 and @doghouse - please respect that not everyone agrees with you, but it doesn't mean that one opinion is right and another opinion is wrong.
    I don't really see how disagreeing with someone who says that critique of the suits not fitting only comes from old fat people is in anyway incorrect. In "fact", I know it's not correct.
    There was more to his opinion than that. The latter part is his opinion...
    999 wrote: »
    Bond is classy, but needs to look like he could beat you to a pulp. I think the Tom Ford look of SP and SF suits Craig best. Love it. Dresses should show off a women's figure in a classy tasteful way... suits are the equivalent for men.

    I will say I do prefer the SP colours so far as opposed to the SF ones. The "washed out" comment was a good description.

    Great styling IMO.

    This is the debate, not the "overweight" part that you're picking out.

    I didn't realize you got to tell me which part of his comment I could debate.
    I apologise if that's what you took from that. I just dislike people stating their opinions as fact as a blanket way of dismissing someone. I also mentioned @999 in this too.
  • Posts: 260
    JCRendle wrote: »
    doghouse wrote: »
    JCRendle wrote: »
    doghouse wrote: »
    JCRendle wrote: »
    doghouse wrote: »
    999 wrote: »
    Figured I'd just call it as it is.
    Other than the fact that that probably isn't how it is.
    It's differing opinions, it's not a "fact" that it isn't as as much as it isn't "calling it as it is" - @999 and @doghouse - please respect that not everyone agrees with you, but it doesn't mean that one opinion is right and another opinion is wrong.
    I don't really see how disagreeing with someone who says that critique of the suits not fitting only comes from old fat people is in anyway incorrect. In "fact", I know it's not correct.
    There was more to his opinion than that. The latter part is his opinion...
    999 wrote: »
    Bond is classy, but needs to look like he could beat you to a pulp. I think the Tom Ford look of SP and SF suits Craig best. Love it. Dresses should show off a women's figure in a classy tasteful way... suits are the equivalent for men.

    I will say I do prefer the SP colours so far as opposed to the SF ones. The "washed out" comment was a good description.

    Great styling IMO.

    This is the debate, not the "overweight" part that you're picking out.

    I didn't realize you got to tell me which part of his comment I could debate.
    I apologise if that's what you took from that. I just dislike people stating their opinions as fact as a blanket way of dismissing someone. I also mentioned @999 in this too.

    My entire point, for almost the entire duration of this thread, is to keep the discussion on track by focusing on separating what is factual and what is opinion. Our new found male models assertion is blatantly ridiculous and detracts from any reasoned discussion. But frankly, I have pretty much given up. Hardly anyone seems to know what they don't know, and anything from confusing opinion with fact to blatant misrepresentation is making it not really worth it.

    If anyone wants to know why his suits don't fit and examples of tight cut clothing that does fit, they can just scroll back up the thread to all the examples.

    It's about 90% the guy is a sockpuppet anyway, so I don't even know why I bother.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Posts: 1,756
    I like the tight fitting suits.

    Guys? ...

    e9yj9s.jpg
    102t2s0.jpg
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 4,619
    Guys, I just realised something... This thread is the cesspool of the internet.
    p0GROIJ3KBU5S.jpg
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 1,068
    don't panic, don't panic...

    DC%20big%20issue_1.jpg
  • Posts: 4,619
    =)) =)) =))
  • Posts: 1,552
    @andmcit :)) =D> =))
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Posts: 1,756
    Guys, I just realised something... This thread is the cesspool of the internet.
    p0GROIJ3KBU5S.jpg

    I feel honoured.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Posts: 1,138
    I have no idea why people think "but needs to look like he could beat you to a pulp." "

    I think exactly the opposite is true. Bond shouldn't look like an MMA fighter or bouncer stuffed into a suit, he should look like a businessman (which is usually his cover, right?) who surprises people with his fighting skills. Like Colin Firth in Kingsmen (his style was a little too old-fashioned, but his clothes fit great. Besides, as someone said, the tight suits don't necessarily "show off his physique", sometimes they make it look like he had an enormous breakfast.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts: 7,321
    Sark wrote: »
    I have no idea why people think "but needs to look like he could beat you to a pulp." "

    I think exactly the opposite is true. Bond shouldn't look like an MMA fighter or bouncer stuffed into a suit, he should look like a businessman (which is usually his cover, right?) who surprises people with his fighting skills. Like Colin Firth in Kingsmen (his style was a little too old-fashioned, but his clothes fit great. Besides, as someone said, the tight suits don't necessarily "show off his physique", sometimes they make it look like he had an enormous breakfast.

    Exactly. Element of surprise.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Posts: 1,138
    Guys, I just realised something... This thread is the cesspool of the internet.
    p0GROIJ3KBU5S.jpg
    Except for our new male model friend and some posters calling other posters by the name of Bond villains this thread has been pretty cordial.
  • Posts: 802
    Getting back to the issue at hand, the 'SPECTRE' wardrobe, one of the things that strikes me about Craig's tenure as Bond is the lack of consistency and individuality in his style across his first three movies.
    Harping back to Connery and his Bond launch, the way the makers established a definitive, distinct, louche look has to be a screen master class in style and I don't buy that you can't replicate that with the right guidance.
    Terence Young and Anthony Sinclair created a template that was based on an elegant, man about town who eschewed 'street fashion' in favour of a discreet classicism that wooed women and impressed men. It was strongly based on Fleming's original interpretation albeit, Ian himself gave few details in the books and described more of a 'look' for Bond as opposed to giving brand specifics.
    That said, there was no question that Bond was a man who liked quality and the understated and whom had very specific likes and dislikes and Young put flesh on Fleming's bones.
    It's also worthy of note that Young and Sinclair created this image in an era of extremely strong 'street fashion' and the modernist revolution. In fact, back then, the equivilant to putting Bond in a bum freezer, skin tight suit would have been to dress him in a collarless Beatle's outfit and a pair of Cuban heels.
    They ignored 'street fashion' completely because they new that Bond would have to move with equal aplomb from the top board rooms of the world to the dangerous streets of the most exotic location. It's my hypothesis that nothing has changed in this regard particularly as eon have thankfully deemed to return to a more Flemingesque 007 with the Casino Royale reboot.
    The challenge in styling Bond remains exactly the same and the Craig look has yet to master this.
    Personally, I thing that the current team just don't get it and it's why Craig's Bond is becoming more and more a vehicle for product placement than a man of distinctive, individual style.
    Ironically, the makers of 'Layer Cake' gave Craig the right look for that movie but there again, I think Mathew Vaughn understands these things.
    As for those that suggest that those tight fitting, ugly suits make Danny look more dangerous and deadly perhaps their next recommendation could be tattoos or maybe 'Irma la not so douce' will rock up and suggest he sports lederhosen!

  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Posts: 23,883
    Villiers53 wrote: »
    Getting back to the issue at hand, the 'SPECTRE' wardrobe, one of the things that strikes me about Craig's tenure as Bond is the lack of consistency and individuality in his style across his first three movies.
    Harping back to Connery and his Bond launch, the way the makers established a definitive, distinct, louche look has to be a screen master class in style and I don't buy that you can't replicate that with the right guidance.
    Terence Young and Anthony Sinclair created a template that was based on an elegant, man about town who eschewed 'street fashion' in favour of a discreet classicism that wooed women and impressed men. It was strongly based on Fleming's original interpretation albeit, Ian himself gave few details in the books and described more of a 'look' for Bond as opposed to giving brand specifics.
    That said, there was no question that Bond was a man who liked quality and the understated and whom had very specific likes and dislikes and Young put flesh on Fleming's bones.
    It's also worthy of note that Young and Sinclair created this image in an era of extremely strong 'street fashion' and the modernist revolution. In fact, back then, the equivilant to putting Bond in a bum freezer, skin tight suit would have been to dress him in a collarless Beatle's outfit and a pair of Cuban heels.
    They ignored 'street fashion' completely because they new that Bond would have to move with equal aplomb from the top board rooms of the world to the dangerous streets of the most exotic location. It's my hypothesis that nothing has changed in this regard particularly as eon have thankfully deemed to return to a more Flemingesque 007 with the Casino Royale reboot.
    The challenge in styling Bond remains exactly the same and the Craig look has yet to master this.
    Personally, I thing that the current team just don't get it and it's why Craig's Bond is becoming more and more a vehicle for product placement than a man of distinctive, individual style.
    Ironically, the makers of 'Layer Cake' gave Craig the right look for that movie but there again, I think Mathew Vaughn understands these things.
    As for those that suggest that those tight fitting, ugly suits make Danny look more dangerous and deadly perhaps their next recommendation could be tattoos or maybe 'Irma la not so douce' will rock up and suggest he sports lederhosen!

    All very good points. I concur.
  • Posts: 1,068
    It's taken 30 pages but this sums things up for me very nicely @Villiers53
  • RC7RC7
    Posts: 10,512
    999 wrote: »
    Ahhh the old "its too tight comment" .... With all respect, usually used by someone without an impressive figure and jealous of someone with a figure to show off. I spend alot of time working out and its usually my paper weight, or over weight friends who razz me about wearing suits "too tight".

    I'm with you, man. Hate it when I'm busting out of my mankini and people start having a pop. Life sucks unless I'm in the gym acting like a bell end.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Posts: 5,131
    999 wrote: »
    Ahhh the old "its too tight comment" .... With all respect, usually used by someone without an impressive figure and jealous of someone with a figure to show off. I spend alot of time working out and its usually my paper weight, or over weight friends who razz me about wearing suits "too tight".

    Bond is classy, but needs to look like he could beat you to a pulp. I think the Tom Ford look of SP and SF suits Craig best. Love it. Dresses should show off a women's figure in a classy tasteful way... suits are the equivalent for men.

    I will say I do prefer the SP colours so far as opposed to the SF ones. The "washed out" comment was a good description.

    Great styling IMO.

    Good points. I agree.
  • Posts: 260
    RC7 wrote: »
    999 wrote: »
    Ahhh the old "its too tight comment" .... With all respect, usually used by someone without an impressive figure and jealous of someone with a figure to show off. I spend alot of time working out and its usually my paper weight, or over weight friends who razz me about wearing suits "too tight".

    I'm with you, man. Hate it when I'm busting out of my mankini and people start having a pop. Life sucks unless I'm in the gym acting like a bell end.

    lol.
  • Posts: 12,436
    andmcit wrote: »
    don't panic, don't panic...

    DC%20big%20issue_1.jpg

    That is funny! :))
  • Posts: 260
    Carhartt cap ftw.
  • 999999
    Posts: 6
    holy.. some people are a little sensitive. Chill. I guess the problem with strictly text convo is you don't get to judge the character of the person. I said that in my head sounding like joking with a friend, not hitting someone in the face. Chill people. Although I am very confident about my opinion of stlyle. Key word I guess is opinion, not fact as someone pointed out.

    Anyway, Villiers makes a good point about the lack of consistency with Craig's styling. Certainly need to pick a style and stick with it... this is very close to SF so that's good. But contrasted to CR quite a bit, although I guess that was almost 10 years ago and trends change for everyone, Bond included.

    Thanks to the welcome to the forum from several of you.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts: 7,321
    999 wrote: »
    holy.. some people are a little sensitive. Chill. I guess the problem with strictly text convo is you don't get to judge the character of the person. I said that in my head sounding like joking with a friend, not hitting someone in the face. Chill people. Although I am very confident about my opinion of stlyle. Key word I guess is opinion, not fact as someone pointed out.

    Anyway, Villiers makes a good point about the lack of consistency with Craig's styling. Certainly need to pick a style and stick with it... this is very close to SF so that's good. But contrasted to CR quite a bit, although I guess that was almost 10 years ago and trends change for everyone, Bond included.

    Thanks to the welcome to the forum from several of you.

    Off topic, but I can't believe next year will be the 10th Anniversary of Casino Royale!
    I would never have pegged this thread to be one of the more controversial topics on the forum, but the back and forth, I think, is great for people like me who know very little about the topic but are interested in learning.
  • Posts: 260
    I am curious that people see this thread as overly controversial. Seems like a typical discussion thread from my perspective.
  • 999999
    Posts: 6
    no kidding @NickTwentyTwo ! Also, that's interesting.. you live in a very fashionable city. I live in Saskatchewan, I stick out like a sore thumb. Wanna trade? ( including weather )
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts: 7,321
    999 wrote: »
    no kidding @NickTwentyTwo ! Also, that's interesting.. you live in a very fashionable city. I live in Saskatchewan, I stick out like a sore thumb. Wanna trade? ( including weather )

    Nnnnnnnnope!
  • 999999
    Posts: 6
    hahah I wouldn't either. Vancouver is gorgeous, Bond should make a stop there sometime.

    Back on topic, after watching the Mission Impossible Rogue Nation trailer ( which looks awesome I might add ) I think it's safe to say we've got a battle going on for Bond vs Ethan Hunt in terms of style. While different than Bonds looks, I do mostly like the looks Cruise is pulling off. For fans of a more relaxed suit, in some scenes it looks like his suits may be looser fitting than Craigs. It also may be the appearance created by someone shorter and broader, not sure yet. He's also casual more often then Bond. We'll have to see what Bond brings to the table for more casual wear. Good start with the teaser poster for sure.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Posts: 10,584
    What's with all the Canadians? ;)
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts: 7,321
    GQ did an article on the top 10 best looks from the MI:RN trailer, which was pretty entertaining. There was an enormous bow tie on Cruise at one point.
  • Posts: 4,622
    999 wrote: »
    hahah I wouldn't either. Vancouver is gorgeous, Bond should make a stop there sometime.
    Bond did make it to Vancouver in John Gardner's novel series. Spends a good amount of time there in Brokenclaw.
    Fleming also has Bond on mission in Ottawa in FYEO, and in Toronto battling Spectre agents in TSWLM, and looking very dapper, throughout, I'm sure.

  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Posts: 1,138
    holy.. some people are a little sensitive. Chill. I guess the problem with strictly text convo is you don't get to judge the character of the person. I said that in my head sounding like joking with a friend, not hitting someone in the face.

    Just like in real life, it's a good idea to make sure you're actually friends before using the British style put down humor between friends. And since this is a strictly text convo I'm typing this as genuine advice going forward without meaning to sound condescending ;)
Sign In or Register to comment.