Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• edited March 2015 Posts: 11,425
    I agree. I don't quite understand the hate. He seems a decent fit to me. I can imagine him doing something pretty decent. He can write a decent melody and there's a sort of melancholy to his voice that I think suits the Craig era well.

My dream is a composer who does the score and collaborates on the title song, as Barry did brilliantly, and Arnold did with mixed results. Newman seems unwilling or unable to do that, so the next best thing is getting a decent singer songwriter to do it, and I think Sam Smith is a fair choice at this moment in time. Adele was a good and solid choice. I don't think her song is as good as some claim, but it's a decent effort. If Sam Smith gave us something as good as that I'd be happy.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 163
    I still can't see how Sam Smith's style of singing or songwriting could go anywhere near a Bond film.
    Most of the best Bond songs were not written by the performing artists alone, so I don't think Sam Smith On his own is going to give us a classic song. Just as I don't think Adele have us a classic either. That is not Adele's fault. Had her song and melody been worked into the score properly, it could have attained classic status. As it is it's a good standalone song with little or no resonance throughout the rest of the movie. Promises much but sadly, due to Newman, delivers little. The best and truly classic songs were different. They were either written by Barry and Don Black, or collaborations between Barry and the artist. Arnold did two decent collaborations - Surrender and YKMN. Those two are the two best Bond songs since Barry IMO.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I know it's all about using the right artist to give the film maximum exposure so Smith is a likely bet and I know the rumour has been around for ages.

Maybe he might do something OK, Adele was more than adequate on the titles but the song doesn't actually stand up outside of that as anything that memorable.

Cornell has had the best song of the Craig era without a doubt and SP would have been better with something with a harder edge, you can't tell me Sam Smith will deliver anything with grit to it? We are talking tortured soul like ballad I think if it's him, a male version of what Adele did I'm suspecting, in other words nothing ground breaking.

• edited March 2015 Posts: 125
    I'd like an instrumental theme as it was done in "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" and also in "From Russia with love".

Thomas Newman can compose an instrumental, classical, elegant piece with the Bond style and that accompanying the opening credits.
  • I really don't think Sam Smith is well suited to Bond at all. As I said earlier, I think Sia would be a much better choice if they wanted to go for someone who is very popular right now.
  • It so happens that I know something (not everything) about this. It's still up for grabs & the deadline is either the end of this week or at latest the end of March. There's a classic act (not mentioned in this thread) that nearly had it and this act will very probably be given the closing credits song, This act still wants the full title song but the feeling is (unfortunately, IMO) it WILL be Adele or Sam Smith or a similar commercial type - not another major (or cool, at any rate) act. Anyway, no decision has been made yet - Mendes was pro, but BB & MGW have the final say - nonetheless the earlier stuff on this thread about Bowie was completely untrue.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Hmmm, has the classic act been associated with the franchise in the past?
  • No. But I didn't mean to be all pain-in-the-arse-ishly coy. The point is that the Adele / Smith option is still v much on and that no other wildcards (unlikely or left-field options as per the thread above, like Noel G, Portishead etc etc) are in play, I'm sorry to say. So far as I know (!) In fact, it was quite uncool of me to post (ooh, my inside info!) except I do know no decision has been made yet.
    Well, out of those two, I'll settle for Adele. I'd still like to see something like Muse, Florence & the Machine, or Bowie, though.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    @ BombeSuprise Thanks!
  • RC7RC7
    No. But I didn't mean to be all pain-in-the-arse-ishly coy. The point is that the Adele / Smith option is still v much on and that no other wildcards (unlikely or left-field options as per the thread above, like Noel G, Portishead etc etc) are in play, I'm sorry to say. So far as I know (!) In fact, it was quite uncool of me to post (ooh, my inside info!) except I do know no decision has been made yet.

So Mendes and Whishaw were bluffing at the press conference?
  • It seems to me like they don't have any mind blowing song yet, otherwise a decision would've been made already.
    Classic act? Would love to know who that is.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 159
    According to William Hill:

2/5 Sam Smith, 7/1 Adele, 8/1 Ed Sheeran, 10/1 Lana del Rey, 10/1 Lorde, 25/1 Noel Gallagher, 33/1 Coldplay. 33/1 Ellie Goulding,40/1 One Direction, 50/1 Tom Jones.

Edit: Sorry, didn't see the link from the previous page.
    It so happens that I know something (not everything) about this. It's still up for grabs & the deadline is either the end of this week or at latest the end of March.
    I hope you understand my skepticism, as you pointed out - we've already had one poster claiming to have inside knowledge (Bowie). If true, it would be interesting to have a song over the closing credits again.
  • JCRendle wrote: »
    It so happens that I know something (not everything) about this. It's still up for grabs & the deadline is either the end of this week or at latest the end of March.
    I hope you understand my skepticism, as you pointed out - we've already had one poster claiming to have inside knowledge (Bowie). If true, it would be interesting to have a song over the closing credits again.

It's been hard enough for them to come up with one good song in the past, let alone two. So I doubt it.

• edited March 2015 Posts: 11,425
    Bowie would have been amazing... in the 70s, or even 80s. Not sure sure he has it in him now to pen the kind of tune that is required. That said, it would be cool just for the hell of it.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Anyone who had doubts about Del Rey,

I've never really listened to Lana Del Rey but after watching that video I can see, or rather hear, her for the title sequence. Heck, the song she was singing was almost good enough for a Bond film, just leave out that weird thing she did at 2:32... yikes!

I still rather have Adele over her but I don't know if I want Adele again so soon, maybe Bond 25. I would like to see Michael Buble do it at least once.

As for Sam Smith, I like him as a singer but I just can't hear him in a Bond movie. His style just doesn't fit the films.

Back to back Adele? Not for me. Time for another horns and grinding guitar title song.
    Need something that jumpstarts the film like an electric shock, announcing this is an all-out action Bond film. Cast a wider net than who's popular at the moment. Years ago Guns and Roses did Welcome to the Jungle for a Dirty Harry film. What a jolt that was. While the search in on, find a lyricist who can tell a story.

edited March 2015 Posts: 1,812
    I understand what you mean with giving the audience a jolt but I would hope it's nothing like Welcome to the Jungle, just doesn't fit a Bond film. It should be something more like You Know My Name, damn good song.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Having watched the above video of Lana Del Rey, I still think that, like Adele, she sounds depressing. Caro Emerald is the sultry and classy way to go.

Or something will a little more swing:
    Having watched the above video of Lana Del Rey, I still think that, like Adele, she sounds depressing. Caro Emerald is the sultry and classy way to go.

Damn, I think I'm in love! Adele or Lana Del Rey would be great but Caro Emerald has my vote. I Belong To You would even be a good Bond song.

• SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    I think Justin Timberlake could be a very good fit for the role
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited March 2015 Posts: 13,894

Damn, I think I'm in love! Adele or Lana Del Rey would be great but Caro Emerald has my vote. I Belong To You would even be a good Bond song.

I'm happy to have made another 'Caro Convert'. :D There is a facebook club (is that what they're called? I don't use it, so I don't know the proper name) devoted to putting Caro's name forward as the singer for the next Bond title track.

Here's another example:

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    The classic act alluded to above has to be the Stones, no? Or Eurythmics/Depeche Mode perhaps?
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 163
    deleted
    It so happens that I know something (not everything) about this. It's still up for grabs & the deadline is either the end of this week or at latest the end of March. There's a classic act (not mentioned in this thread) that nearly had it and this act will very probably be given the closing credits song, This act still wants the full title song but the feeling is (unfortunately, IMO) it WILL be Adele or Sam Smith or a similar commercial type - not another major (or cool, at any rate) act. Anyway, no decision has been made yet - Mendes was pro, but BB & MGW have the final say - nonetheless the earlier stuff on this thread about Bowie was completely untrue.

I know you can't say but what does classic mean? because Muse is not classic. By classic we are talking U2, Depeche Mode or Radiohead as an example.

I know Craig is a big RH fan and interviewed Thom York some years back. That being said I believe all 3 acts have been mentioned by someone else or myself in this thread somewhere. Surely not the Rolling Stones although that is certainly classic.

Some band established later than those acts I would look at as a classic act, for gods sake not Coldplay because that certainly isn't classic.

I'm thinking though EON will be looking for the same impact that Adele caused with SF so her returning with her first new song in 3 years or flavour of the moment Sam Smith are more likely but the idea of someone going over the credits like in the Dalton and Brosnan era is a nice idea especially if it's an established act, maybe make it the B side of the 7" release.

Having 2 songs to promote the film would be even better, especially if the other is a well established classic act. Pity about Bowie, The Next Day show he's still got it!
    Spectre is going to have killer competition. MI5 looks to have a similar plot with similar locations. Then there is Uncle, Bridge of Spy's and still other spy films opening weeks and days before. Newman is for me a weak composer. I hope EON doesn't blow it by adding a whiny, one hit (plagiarized at that) wonder for the title song. Smith will in no way help this film. I fear he'll be a terribly weak choice. CR had by far the best title song of the Craig's films. Smith is incabable of delivering a similar gritty type of song and performance.
    I'm 42 and alongside film music is my main interest and I considerably invest in it, not free downloads I actually spend serious money on music still so I'd very much like this to be a great artist and not just a hugely popular flavour of the moment act.

Though that being said I don't think I'm the market EON is looking to appeal to if it was then Radiohead, U2 or Depeche Mode would where I'd be going but Babs and Mikey want the worldwide impact and established acts like those aren't likely to get the youngsters wet like Sam Smith or the return of Adele and that is the market they are looking to target. Plus the press is likely to be underwhelmed if it isn't something like Smith as they have no concern for acts unless they are in the charts.

Agreed Cornell undoubtedly with the assistance of Arnold delivered the best title song of the Craig era. Adele 's SF was substantial but I don't imagine I'll be craving to hear it in 20 years time outside of watching the film unlike the classics. I like White's effort but I'm a JW fan although it's the worst thing he's ever released.