Never Say Never Again..."Yes, But My Martini's Still Dry"

Comments

I love NSNA.It may be an inferior remake but its damn good fun and Connery is great as usual despite his age.I prefer this to any of Craigs Bond films.
    That doesn't really have anything to do with his performance, but I didn't mind the wink.

Well... Yes, it doesn't :P But you got the picture

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    As a Bond fan that owns CR '67, should I get the only Bond film I don't have? I remember being horribly offended. Sean was too old in my opinion. The question I have is should I get it for the sake of being a completist?
    It's cheap and it has Connery. What more do you need. Sure, it's a remake and doesn't come close to the original. In my current Bond-a-thon I watched every Bond film from Dr. No to LTK (yes, even CR - 67) but skipped NSNA because a much better version of the Thunderball story was still in my close memory and I didn't want to take a break to watch the same story again so soon.

But it has it's merits. Not the worst movie in the world.
    I prefer it over DAF being the last 007 by Connery, he looked much more amused and not so bored as he looked in DAF [too often]. The cast added to this vehicle is pretty good and indeed the NSNA with the Barry soundtrack has a whole different mood and is much more on par with the official movies.
    EON should do themselves a favour and release that version.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    NSNA is better than Octopussy. It doen't have the music or Gunbarrel, but it has an adapted Fleming story and Connery.
    Forgot to add, it is totally inferior to TB though.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    suavejmf wrote: »
    NSNA is better than Octopussy. It doen't have the music or Gunbarrel, but it has an adapted Fleming story and Connery.

In what way do you feel NSNA is better than OP?
    My love of OP is well known, but I do enjoy NSNA. Certainly more than DAF.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Benny wrote: »
    NSNA is a better song than ATH... and.... that's all I can come up with.

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

I don't think he's allowed to say that Benny. Go after him, and I'll cut him off at the pass. ;)
    I know there are many many SC fans out there but surely, but if he respected the legacy of Bond and his own work, he would not have made the film. If money overrides respect for the finished product, this is what you get. The 99p Value Burger of the james bond menu.

Bond doesn't dress up as a clown, swing like tarzan and look at his watch whilst trying to hide and dressed as a Gorilla. Next point, NSA has Connery and a Fleming story.

These are the reasons I prefer NSNA to OP.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    It also has frank Sinatras toupee:)
    Ha ha. But SC wore a toupee in all the 007 films.
  • RC7RC7
    Clown and Gorilla suits? You seem to be forgetting Bond joined the Village People in NSNA.

NSNA-JB0014SCdungarees.jpg
    He borrowed this as he was naked (straight from the sea). Good comeback though....
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Ah, that's a much better reason than the reason Roger dressed as a clown (you know, preventing a nuclear weapon exploding).

Times must have changed, because you can't even say the word 'bomb' today without everything shutting down in a 5 mile radius. Certainly shouting it at a general would get the show immediately stopped nowadays.
    Why would you look at your watch while trying to evade capture and defuse the bomb though? Why shout like tarzan
  • RC7RC7
    Frankly I think NSNA is a laughable piece of tripe, which I abhor given the fact the court cases that ensured it's existence effectively killed Fleming. So on the one hand you have McClory trying to stick it to Ian and on other you have Sean trying to stick it to Cubby. This is besides the fact its a poor, poor, poor imitation of a legendary film and lacks any of the requisite class a Bond production should have. I know some people like it, though.
    Fair points. But I still beleive it to be an average Bond film. Inferior to the perfect TB, but better than the 'too light in tone' OP.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    OP too light? It's pretty dark to me. Especially 009's Murder. That chase through the woods is terrifying.
    Murdock wrote: »
    OP too light? It's pretty dark to me. Especially 009's Murder. That chase through the woods is terrifying.

That scene is a plus point yes as is Vijays death etc. However, the film (like MR & AVTAK) is generally lighter in tone. Hence, why the producers improved the franchise by going back to a darker Fleming tone with TLD.

• edited March 2015 Posts: 11,189
    If Brosnan had said lines like "yes, my martini's still dry" I suspect he'd be lynched.
    That's a great line! I't a shame he didn't have better lines like this.....instead of "Saved by the Bell."
    I found it kind of cheesy when I first heard it, but yes it is better than "saved by the bell"
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 1,595
    Fair points. But I still beleive it to be an average Bond film. Inferior to the perfect TB, but better than the 'too light in tone' OP.

Bond dressing up as a clown to defuse a nuclear bomb isn't half as absurd as Bond playing Largo in a confusing video game whilst both contestants make faces that blur the lines between orgasm and constipation.

Always nice to see a Thunderball fan but I'm with @RC7 on this.
    What about the Tarzan scene?

Plus points of NSNA are - Fatima Blush, Max Von S as Blofeld, Flemings story generally in tact, Largo (decent Villan - though not a patch on Adolpho Celli), decent pre-title sequence, decent title song.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    What about the Tarzan scene?

Plus points of NSNA araae - Fatima Blush, Max Von S as Blofeld, Flemings story generally in tact, Largo (decent Villan - though not a patch on Adolfli), decent pre-title sequence, decent title song.

What about the denim dungarees.
    Plus points of OP - A classic pts, a decent title track, the use of Fleming via the Sothebys auction, the back gammon scene, the circus story OO9 and later Bond discovering the smuggling plot. The knife throwing twins, Kamal, Gobinda and Orlov. A credible Bond heroine. Superior action scenes...a better climax.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 1,595
    The production values, cinematography, and John Barry score alone push Octopussy far past NSNA. Not to mention the huge disparity in "Bond girl quality." Basinger isn't horrible, but Maud Adams is one of the series' finest leading ladies in my opinion. Kamal Khan is a better villain. Down the line OP is just the better film. NSNA has a nice car chase but otherwise OP destroys in terms of action sequences as well. Also features what is perhaps Moore's best performance (in my opinion). The latter just doesn't have that EON polish (that I believe I've brought up elsewhere). It's not real bad, but it just feels somewhat B-rate whenever I watch it.

And the infamous Tarzan scene takes up approximately 5 seconds of the film, if that. That video game is a good 10 minutes.
    patb wrote: »
    I know there are many many SC fans out there but surely, but if he respected the legacy of Bond and his own work, he would not have made the film. If money overrides respect for the finished product, this is what you get. The 99p Value Burger of the james bond menu.

I think that you find that respect goes both ways, and EON could have shown more respect for SC, in that sense I understand NSNA as it turned out to be the payday for Connery 007 that EON failed to award him.

So fuck you very much with your respect for the legacy argument. Rarely do I read something so misplaced an argument. Especially as NSNA is not as bad as some people would make you believe. It is way better than some installments in the EON produced 007 movies.