Never Say Never Again..."Yes, But My Martini's Still Dry"

Comments

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited March 2015 Posts: 5,080
    I still don't understand why people dismiss the clown scene. I suppose they just don't get it...

Easily the most tense scene in the series.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    James Bond isn't the first Spy to dress as a clown for the sake of a mission. ;)
    2a006a851d89b28e869420d9eba79661.jpg
    I still don't understand why people dismiss the clown scene. I suppose they just don't get it...

And a recall to beginning of the movie where a 00 dressed as a clown paid with his life to inform his superiors. A clown started it and a clown saved the day.

It's definitely one of them. Don't know if I'd give it the #1 spot (and I know I certainly wouldn't say "easily"). There are many suspenseful moments throughout the series.

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    SaintMark wrote: »
    patb wrote: »
    I know there are many many SC fans out there but surely, but if he respected the legacy of Bond and his own work, he would not have made the film. If money overrides respect for the finished product, this is what you get. The 99p Value Burger of the james bond menu.

I think that you find that respect goes both ways, and EON could have shown more respect for SC, in that sense I understand NSNA as it turned out to be the payday for Connery 007 that EON failed to award him.

So fuck you very much with your respect for the legacy argument. Rarely do I read something so misplaced an argument. Especially as NSNA is not as bad as some people would make you believe. It is way better than some installments in the EON produced 007 movies.

Here here. Totally agree.
  • RC7RC7
    I know there are many many SC fans out there but surely, but if he respected the legacy of Bond and his own work, he would not have made the film. If money overrides respect for the finished product, this is what you get. The 99p Value Burger of the james bond menu.

I think that you find that respect goes both ways, and EON could have shown more respect for SC, in that sense I understand NSNA as it turned out to be the payday for Connery 007 that EON failed to award him.

So fuck you very much with your respect for the legacy argument. Rarely do I read something so misplaced an argument. Especially as NSNA is not as bad as some people would make you believe. It is way better than some installments in the EON produced 007 movies.

Bollocks. He was paid a small fortune for DAF and gave it all to the Scottish Educational Trust. He was already an incredibly wealthy man thanks to Bond. NSNA was Connery being a 'see you next Tuesday'. Still, Cubby had the last laugh.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Let's keep a lid on the language shall we Chaps .thankyou
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    The production values, cinematography, and John Barry score alone push Octopussy far past NSNA. Not to mention the huge disparity in "Bond girl quality." Basinger isn't horrible, but Maud Adams is one of the series' finest leading ladies in my opinion. Kamal Khan is a better villain. Down the line OP is just the better film. NSNA has a nice car chase but otherwise OP destroys in terms of action sequences as well. Also features what is perhaps Moore's best performance (in my opinion). The latter just doesn't have that EON polish (that I believe I've brought up elsewhere). It's not real bad, but it just feels somewhat B-rate whenever I watch it.

And the infamous Tarzan scene takes up approximately 5 seconds of the film, if that. That video game is a good 10 minutes.
    ^^THIS^^
    =D>
    RC7 wrote: »

Bollocks. He was paid a small fortune for DAF and gave it all to the Scottish Educational Trust. He was already an incredibly wealthy man thanks to Bond. NSNA was Connery being a 'see you next Tuesday'. Still, Cubby had the last laugh.

a load of Haggis, after OHMSS and the departure of Lazenby the producers of EON were basically with their backs against the wall as where to go next with their successful franchise. For the first time Connery was able to dictate terms and what did the crazy Scotsman, he donated his salary to a good cause which shows his contempt for EON and their cash. I believe he was mostly interested in the movie deal which was attached to the big payday.

With NSNA he finally got paid was he was worth and it paid for the golf-memberships and golf-balls in the latter day of his career.

I do find his British secret agent in The Rock a nice farewell to the brilliant start of his career. It will always have something of a Bond taste to me.
    I do find his British secret agent in The Rock a nice farewell to the brilliant start of his career. It will always have something of a Bond taste to me.
    Me too.
    (Sorry for using a Brosnan line there...)
    :))
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Me too.
    (Sorry for using a Brosnan line there...)
    :))

No probem Wade or is you Purvis??? :D
  • RC7RC7
    edited March 2015 Posts: 10,512
    RC7 wrote: »

a load of Haggis, after OHMSS and the departure of Lazenby the producers of EON were basically with their backs against the wall as where to go next with their successful franchise. For the first time Connery was able to dictate terms and what did the crazy Scotsman, he donated his salary to a good cause which shows his contempt for EON and their cash. I believe he was mostly interested in the movie deal which was attached to the big payday.

With NSNA he finally got paid was he was worth and it paid for the golf-memberships and golf-balls in the latter day of his career.

He did do it for the two picture deal. Regard salary, If I remember correctly he got paid (inflation adjusted across the board) a similar figure by eon - around £16m by the time he'd got to YOLT, think NSNA was slightly less, so I've never really understood the idea he was underpaid for his services. Moore always joked about haggling with Cubby and trying to squeeze more cash out of him, but he never got cantankerous and bitter in the way Sean did in the end. It was good to hear about his phonecall with Cubby during the EON doc.
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 4,600
    "So fuck you very much with your respect for the legacy argument. Rarely do I read something so misplaced an argument. Especially as NSNA is not as bad as some people would make you believe. It is way better than some installments in the EON produced 007 movies."
    Its an opinion, nothing more, nothing less. No need to throw the toys out of the pram and use such language. Can you imagine what this forum would be like if we all reacted like that to something that we read that we though was "misplaced" ?
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Indeed, such language is uncalled for and I agree wholeheartedly with @RC7 concearning the phone call. It seems Sean and Cubby were able to put their differences aside in the end, it's a pity so many here aren't capable of the same.

I find NSNA a not-very-good remake of Thunderball, and I will choose the latter always over the first. I don't compare it to Octopussy as that is a completely different film. Does NSNA belong to the series? well, solely on the fact that Mc Clory made it just to spite EON and, other then Conners, never was able during his life to give up the fight that had made so many victims, amongst whom Ian Fleming himself, I think it just doesn't deserve to be mentioned that often.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Loved the rock. how in the name of Zeus' butthole did you get out of your cell?
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    @SaintMark's original post has been quoted so many times I can't be bothered to go through editing it all, so I ask you all not to descend into the use of fruity adjectives on these boards - we try to keep the place as family friendly as possible.

If an individual uses unacceptable language please flag it, but don't quote it.
    NicNac wrote: »
    we try to keep the place as family friendly as possible.
    When Dench used the F-bomb in SF I was frankly annoyed. This site & the franchise I have enjoyed for so long need a slightly higher standard IMO.
    But, I may just be being a dinosaur here...
    ;))
    NicNac wrote: »
    we try to keep the place as family friendly as possible.
    When Dench used the F-bomb in SF I was frankly annoyed. This site & the franchise I have enjoyed for so long need a slightly higher standard IMO.
    But, I may just be being a dinosaur here...
    ;))

Really this site is about the fandom of a guy who kills people for a living and you get annoyed by the F-word [F-bomb is a bit much here]?

It is like the movie rating brains splattering around and guns violence gets you a 12 to 15 rating as soon as one boob is shown were up to 18. Hypocritical is the word.

The fact that the 007 franchise has always held itself back from overly use of cursing is commendable as they show it is not needed to make a movie cool, QT would even agree with this I guess. But when they do it not really a big deal. I cannot even remember it and should probably go back and see it but I consider it one of the things in SF that never really bothered me unlike a lot of things that did.
    It is like the movie rating brains splattering around and guns violence gets you a 12 to 15 rating as soon as one boob is shown were up to 18. Hypocritical is the word.
    The thinking is (and I don't necessarily agree with it) that the violence is simulated; the nudity is actual.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    The thinking is (and I don't necessarily agree with it) that the violence is simulated; the nudity is actual.

Well, that's the way we like it and to be honest, seems to be the most humane. I mean it would be far less fun if it was the other way 'round wouldn't it?

Well, that's the way we like it and to be honest, seems to be the most humane. I mean it would be far less fun if it was the other way 'round wouldn't it?
    They should get death row volunteers to be actually killed as bad guys- it'd give the movies an unprecedented edge. >:)
    I agree. Having the F-word in a Bond film is a bit weird.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Fatima Blush, Largo and Blofeld are all portrayed effectively in NSNA. Good villans.

It still remains a hypocritical way of approaching violence and nudity.

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I think it is unfairly treated.

Back in circa 1990/1991 when I discovered all the Bond movies as a teenager I didn't even realise that NSNA wasn't an official Bond movie. Sure I was irritated by the different opening of the movie, but that's about it. I like it very much then. Especially Brandauer impressed me a lot and of course Fatima Blush...well "family friendly forum" is all I can say.

Later, after 1995 when I got to know the story of the franchise and I knew the story of NSNA I still liked it.

Not having the normal opening for a Bond movie isn't even a topic anymore after what they have done since 2006.

The real crime committed is the score and the Bond theme. That I will never understand, that could have been so much better.

I said it elsewhere.
    The supporting cast is absolutely stunning and I like M, Q and Blofeld very much.

And Connery looked 10 times better than in DAF and acted better as well.
    "Welcome gentlemen to the eternal battle for the domination of the Galactica, err, I mean World." :))
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I don't think it's all that good. It's just a bland remake of Thunderball without the style and class. While it was nice to see Connery invested in the character again it doesn't make the film much better. The film on a whole looks cheap and the music is just awful. It's just average. Maybe if it had a Gunbarrel and Bondian music it would be better in my eyes. At least EON did lift a great gadget from the film and use it to greater effect later in GoldenEye.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    It has all the style of a TV movie of the week, the soundtrack is something
    you'd hear playing in a lift. Barbara Carrera is a villain from a Pantomime
    In my opinion, it's just a really poor attempt.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 4,600
    The only good part was Barbara Carrera, who is a severely underrated Bond girl.

100% agree, she would have been perfect within the RM series, stunning, deadly and camp

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I get the fact that they didn't have rights to the Bond theme or the gunbarrel.. but ugh even in 83 that was a crappy score.

Ok go jazz ..Bond likes jazz but ... #-o