Never Say Never Again..."Yes, But My Martini's Still Dry"

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    I get the fact that they didn't have rights to the Bond theme or the gunbarrel.. but ugh even in 83 that was a crappy score.

Ok go jazz ..Bond likes jazz but ... #-o
    I actually like the SONG quite a bit, but he score itself... kinda reminds me of the 60's Batman TV series.
    :))
    Well, riddle me THIS! =))
  • peterpeter Toronto
    was NSNA good? Yes and No. Awful budget and execution, but... as I matured (only with age), I think they made an honest attempt to say: if there was an aged spy by the code name of 007, what would he be doing today?

They played on his love of (bad?) jazz music, women, boozing, not conforming, rebellion, even in mid-age.

It was the execution that failed, not the concept. In fact, stripping away the dated and bad music, is NSNA, at its core, capturing more of Fleming's Bond than any other film since OHMSS?
    Nice to see some love for NSNA here. My high ranking of the film really comes from nostalgia as opposed to quality. I remember the day my folks took me to see it in October of 1983. I loved the Laser watch, motorcylce chase, fight with Lippe and Sean back older and wiser.The reviews were largely positive- especially Siskel and Ebert. Connery was back after 12 years and it was an event. No internet back then for fans to nitpick that Connery's toupee was grayish and dry as opposed to the slick pomade look of his Dr No do. No Bond forums to whine on that it didn't open with the gunbarrel like I do whenever a new Daniel Craig movie comes out what seems like every 12 years . Most audiences then didn't seem to mind that this was an unofficial Bond film.
    Funny how many of the later EON films have some NSNA influence. GoldenEye with the laser watch, a replacement M, and Onatopp. TND has a motorcycle chase set piece. SF with the theme of Bond being a bit older.
    Of course, NSNA is very dated 1983 in it's styles, and Michel Legrand easy listening AM score. Although it wasn't made by a team well practiced in producing Bond every 2 years, and was a one shot deal, I still rank it higher than some of the EONs. Most of the Brosnans and certainly QoS.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Nice to see some love for NSNA here. My high ranking of the film really comes from nostalgia as opposed to quality. I remember the day my folks took me to see it in October of 1983. I loved the Laser watch, motorcylce chase, fight with Lippe and Sean back older and wiser.The reviews were largely positive- especially Siskel and Ebert. Connery was back after 12 years and it was an event. No internet back then for fans to nitpick that Connery's toupee was grayish and dry as opposed to the slick pomade look of his Dr No do. No Bond forums to whine on that it didn't open with the gunbarrel like I do whenever a new Daniel Craig movie comes out what seems like every 12 years . Most audiences then didn't seem to mind that this was an unofficial Bond film.
    Funny how many of the later EON films have some NSNA influence. GoldenEye with the laser watch, a replacement M, and Onatopp. TND has a motorcycle chase set piece. SF with the theme of Bond being a bit older.
    Of course, NSNA is very dated 1983 in it's styles, and Michel Legrand easy listening AM score. Although it wasn't made by a team well practiced in producing Bond every 2 years, and was a one shot deal, I still rank it higher than some of the EONs. Most of the Brosnans and certainly QoS.

Very well said, bravo. I agree 100% except for the small part I indicated :P

I never really tried to rank it within the 24 official movies, but it surely wouldn't be No 24. It is a mile better than DAF, that's for sure.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 6,432
    Think the years have not been kind to NSNA. Don't currently own a copy, OP was far superior. I do own CR 67 on bluray. NSNA need not exist to me, it does not offer much IMO.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I have written extensively as to why I enjoy and admire NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN. Solid Bond film, a good counterbalance to what EON was doing at the time.

...cuckoo.....
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited March 2016 Posts: 4,399
    i see the last time i visited this movie was way back in 2011...

and i see i was far too kind to it lol.

there are only 3 positives i take away from this movie..

1. the title theme
    2. the opening "war games" training
    3. Klaus Maria Brandauer as Largo

the rest of the movie feels like a cheap made-for-tv regurgitation of Thunderball (which it is, lets not kid ourselves) - every aspect of NSNA was done much better back in 1964 under the stewardship of Terrence Young, Cubby and Harry... this is just a disaster from almost start to finish and served no other point than to stroke Kevin McClory's massive ego.... what sucked in 1983 still sucks today, and it's a film that i would put below even the worst film in the official EON cannon.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    NSNA is the only Bond film I got bored watching. Apart from watching it on release, I've
    never watched it all the way through. I always end up skipping whole sections. I really
    think it's very poor.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Watched it once, have never watched it again. Awful.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Not a massive fan. Some parts are ok. Bernie Casey as Felix was decent casting. Barbara Carrera as Fatima Blush quite superb, the right mix of hot and sexy Bond girl combined with a maniacal twist. Connery looked in decent shape for the role and Brandauer as Largo was passable. Edward Fox as M? No thanks, great actor but not a fan of his performance here.

I think that it has dated pretty badly and the title track I really don't like, I'm sorry. I have to agree that this has the feel of a tv movie, which doesn't fit right for Bond.

Appreciate the effort but it isn't great.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Tidied the title up a little.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Yeah I could never get into it. The motorcycle chase is the only thing that seemed Bond-like to me.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Connery alone makes the movie enjoyable, the whole movie is built around him returning and making fun of his age.
    The production quality may not match the usual Bond standard, although DAF was worse.

The ensemble cast is one of the best in the franchise. Yes! Had the production quality hit the level of OP or FYEO, NSNA would be very, very high in rankings.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    The best part of the film is Bond's training exercise where he is "killed"
    I believe the budget was on par or close to Octopussy. The production team weren't apart from Sean, well versed and practiced in making a new Bond film on a regular basis. NSNA is missing that special touch that Ken Adam, Peter Lamont, etc had that makes it a BOND film....something I'm actually feeling is becoming a problem with the newer films.
    Still, there are elements I compare to the actual series that hold up well. For instance, of all the made-up titles this one sounds more Fleming like to me than, say, Die Another Day.
    The special features and audio commentary are pretty well done for this film. Kershner talks in great detail about the constant legal battles around the film. Not that this is an excuse for some of the films problems, but I can't imagine it helped things much. I think the soundtrack was hampered by lack of budget. The main track was a nice song, but improperly placed over the opening sequence. It's hard to maintain any since of suspense and action with that song blaring during Bond's attack.

I have always had a soft spot for NSNA. It's not a top tier Bond film by any stretch, but it has its charms. The film breaks down when it makes clunky attempts to compete technology-wise (the laughable XT-7B). Some more successful moments I thought were Bond's fight with Lippe at Shrublands, smuggling of forbidden food and drink into Shrublands, and his dance with Domino. Carrera commanded attention in every scene and portrayed a whimsical, but sinister villain.

As for the bluray edition, the film does look very nice, but it has not been given the same treatment the official films received. It appears to be pretty well straight from the original film. You will see plenty of grain and marks on the film, but all in all a nice picture quality and nice audio as well.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited March 2016 Posts: 4,399
    talos7 wrote: »
    The best part of the film is Bond's training exercise where he is "killed"

yep - which is sad, because it's the first 5 minutes of the movie, after that the film continually tries to one up itself in the awfulness category.... just when you thought it couldn't get any worse - just wait another 5-10 minutes, and you'll sink to a whole new level of stupid... and this cycle repeats itself over the course of the whole movie.
    A decent Bond-movie, I liked Legrands music because it was different, and it did better having no gun-barrel than the recent movies, It is one of the Bond-movies I re-watch regularly.
    It's terrible. It's so bad that I taped over my recording from an ITV broadcast never mind owning it on home video.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    This is an old-hat thread, I know, but having just seen this yesterday (for the 3rd time overall) I actually have a fondness for it...

I prefer it over DAF. Yes you read right.

Connery looks like he's actually having some fun in NSNA and he's remarkably athletic for his age here - as opposed to Roger (only 3 years between them), whom I do appreciate but his dour lack of physicality really does harm his films imo, especially when he was asked to, er, 'run'...
    I've always enjoyed NSNA and rate it higher than a few of the official Connery films.
    I think it's a pretty good spy flick, in which the pace is perhaps not ultra-fast, but in which the characters get the chance to evolve. I loved Klaus Maria Brandauer as Largo. IMO a very underrated villain....and mainly underrated because he was playing in "that unofficial film".

That also goes for Fatima Blush, played by Barbara Carrera. Many Bond fans tend to forget that she's the only actor/actress in a Bond film that got full acting recognition for her role during the Golden Globes of 1984. She actually got nominated. And like Javier Bardem in "Skyfall", Barbara was shortlisted for a 'Best Supporting Actress Oscar" in 1984.

And regarding Carrera's role. Come onnn. She was amazing. It's basically the blueprint for Xenia Onatopp in "GoldenEye". One of the highlights of the film. BUT....forgotten, because her role was in an "unofficial film". I think it's unfair.

Now as you can see in my ranking I absolutely found "Octopussy" better than "NSNA". But I do think there are at least 7 to 8 official Bond films that were more lacklustre.....especially solely judged as a film.

This is my opinion off course. But in any case...."NSNA" deserves a bit more praise.
    I agree. Brandauer and Carrera are both terrific and have great chemistry opposite Connery.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited January 2017 Posts: 6,786
    I think it's a pretty good spy flick, in which the pace is perhaps not ultra-fast, but in which the characters get the chance to evolve. I loved Klaus Maria Brandauer as Largo. IMO a very underrated villain....and mainly underrated because he was playing in "that unofficial film".

That also goes for Fatima Blush, played by Barbara Carrera. Many Bond fans tend to forget that she's the only actor/actress in a Bond film that got full acting recognition for her role during the Golden Globes of 1984. She actually got nominated. And like Javier Bardem in "Skyfall", Barbara was shortlisted for a 'Best Supporting Actress Oscar" in 1984.

And regarding Carrera's role. Come onnn. She was amazing. It's basically the blueprint for Xenia Onatopp in "GoldenEye". One of the highlights of the film. BUT....forgotten, because her role was in an "unofficial film". I think it's unfair.

Now as you can see in my ranking I absolutely found "Octopussy" better than "NSNA". But I do think there are at least 7 to 8 official Bond films that were more lacklustre.....especially solely judged as a film.

This is my opinion off course. But in any case...."NSNA" deserves a bit more praise.

George Lazenby got nominated for a Golden Globe for OHMSS. Rightfully so in my opinion.

Anyway on topic, NSNA is a middle-of-the-road entry for me. I kind of like how it has a distinctive 80's style, something one can definitely say about AVTAK and LTK too (films I really like).

I enjoy both Brandauer and Carrera as the main villains. Absolutely loved Bernie Casey too. I even like Edward Fox as M. The aged Bond idea here works quite well with Connery's age and I even think it's better and more self-consciously done than in SF.

What I don't like about the film is the lack of memorable set pieces. It more or less reminds me of FYEO, one of my least favourite entries, in that it doesn't do much wrong but it is not particularly unforgettable at times.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    I like it a lot. No we didn't need a remake of Thunderball, but this has a good witty script, some excellent performances and the action is grounded and well edited.

I own the BD and the picture quality is pretty darn good!
    NSNA is a perfectly fine Bond film.Connery is having a blast and is in far better shape than he was in DAF.Its better than some official Bonds i could mention.
    I love NSNA and am very glad it exists.For one, it was the only new Connery Bond in my lifetime, so that alone makes it pretty special for me. It was an event going to see it with my folks as a kid, and each time I watch it I can't help but relive that time.
    Also Barbara Carrera is great as is Klaus Maria Brandauer. Great characters and casting in this film.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I like the fact it takes some risks with the character. They're not pretending that he is younger than he is; a secret agent with more days behind than in front.
    He himself is not exactly with the times, as his Bentley, and the jazzy soundtrack suggests.
    Not close to one of my favourites, but one to be admired when I want to see a film tackle the last days of Bond in the Service, when his health, choices and character disposition aren't exactly admired any more. A true living, breathing relic. He is an old dog, but sometimes the old ways prove to be the best.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    peter wrote: »
    I like the fact it takes some risks with the character. They're not pretending that he is younger than he is; a secret agent with more days behind than in front.
    He himself is not exactly with the times, as his Bentley, and the jazzy soundtrack suggests.
    Not close to one of my favourites, but one to be admired when I want to see a film tackle the last days of Bond in the Service, when his health, choices and character disposition aren't exactly admired any more. A true living, breathing relic. He is an old dog, but sometimes the old ways prove to be the best.

Well said @peter

A really good summing up of the film. NSNA certainly deserves more credit than the usual "It's rubbish and not official Bond" tripe I always read.