Star Trek (1966 - present)

Comments

• Spock was not just a character on a TV Show, but one of the greatest and most iconic. A part of many people childhood has passed away.

"Spock is definitely one of my best friends. When I put on those ears, it's not like just another day. When I become Spock, that day becomes something special." — Leonard Nimoy
    I've just watched wrath of khan in tribute to Mr Nimoy. I was in bits by the end. Thanks for the memories Mr Nimoy.
    Yes, I imagine that last scene is even more emotional.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    We just started a Trek movie marathon in memory of Leonard Nimoy, and here are our findings so far:
    Star Trek: The Motion Picture- A true sci-fi masterpiece. A bit lacking in humor, but awesome.
    Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan- Exciting and well directed, added colour & humor was great, but a little simplistic in the end.
    Star Trek III: The Search For Spock- Nimoy understood what makes these characters work so well together, but the solution to David's character was too conveniently expedient.

To be continued...
    I know there are many other actors and good characters in Star Trek, but for me, Spock was Star Trek. Even in the junkier episodes and films, Nimoy's Spock was always a character you could rely on to strengthen a scene. His direction (particularly of The Voyage Home) should also not be understated.

RIP, Mr. Nimoy.
    SJK91 wrote: »
    His direction (particularly of The Voyage Home) should also not be understated.
    It was his best work.
    RIP, Mr. Nimoy.
    His passing is beyond the loss of an individual, it's the loss of a humanitarian & an artist. :((
    Whilst looking for reaction to LM's death,. I found an interesting interview with Meyer and his comments concerning the reboot. In the original series, LM invented the "pinch" as he did not think that physical violence fitted in with Spock's character. When Meyer saw Spock "beating someone up" during the reboot, he realised that they had not understood the basics of Spock (and therefore the basics of Star Trek). He went on to say that you can put different vintages into a wine bottle but you dont change the shape of the bottle. His polite way of saying the the reboot was rubbish.
    patb wrote: »
    Whilst looking for reaction to LM's death,. I found an interesting interview with Meyer and his comments concerning the reboot. In the original series, LM invented the "pinch" as he did not think that physical violence fitted in with Spock's character. When Meyer saw Spock "beating someone up" during the reboot, he realised that they had not understood the basics of Spock (and therefore the basics of Star Trek). He went on to say that you can put different vintages into a wine bottle but you dont change the shape of the bottle. His polite way of saying the the reboot was rubbish.

:)) Yes.
    Seeing the old TV icons we grew up with passing on.
    Bones, Scotty and now Spock are gone.

Of the Castaways, only Ginger and MaryAnn are still living..

Dad Brady, The Patridge Family manager, Characters from Bewitched....Colombo...
  • edited March 2015 Posts: 1,310
    Long time Star Trek film producer Harve Bennett has died. He was part of the team that made the Trek movies relevant beginning with Wrath of Khan, and continuing on with Search for Spock and Voyage Home. He was also part of Final Frontier, but I must give him props for Parts II-IV.

Very strange, this happening so close to Nimoy's passing. RIP.
    Nooooooo! Together with Meyer, he really understood what made Star Trek work, some wonderful interviews with him on the extended DVDs,

“Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning. ”
    Long time Star Trek film producer Harve Bennett has died. He was part of the team that made the Trek movies relevant beginning with Wrath of Khan, and continuing on with Search for Spock and Voyage Home. He was also part of Final Frontier, but I must give him props for Parts II-IV.

Very strange, this happening so close to Nimoy's passing. RIP.
    God is getting the cast & crew up there to make a movie I guess... RIP Harve.
    Continuing our Leonard Nimoy retrospective, Star Trek IV, the whale one. I can never decide which is my favourite, 1, 4 or 6, but having *JUST* seen it, I'll say 4.
    For now.
    Nimoy contributed heavily to the story here, as he did for 6. It was awesome, again.
    This film was like pizza with everything on it! The most completely satisfying of all the original cast movies. But then, like the Bond movies, there's a Trek movie for every mood. :D
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    6 is better. I don't care if there be whales here, 4 is too goofy.
    6 is better. I don't care if there be whales here, 4 is too goofy.
    I will no doubt agree once we get to that one.

:))
    So we finished our marathon, and here is the decision of our court:

We find STTMP the best as a stand alone science fiction film,
    STIV the best for an overall entertaining Trek adventure, and
    STVI the best as a tense & tight Trek thriller with a moral.

II is great, but just not AS great IOO.

III was impressive as a liaison between II & IV, and is way better than it has any right being.

V had nice moments & felt most like a TV episode (The Apple or Way To Eden).
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I would say that IV is probably the most accessible film if that makes sense. Like, if you were to start someone cold on the Star Trek films, that one would likely be my first pick. While there is a bit of reference to III at the beginning, I don't really think that would cause any confusion to a brand new viewer. It balances "general audience adventure" and "Star Trek" quite well, which might be more than you can say about the JJ Treks (though I do like those to an extent, as well.) I'm not going to say Voyage Home is the best Trek film, but it is one I constantly come back to.
    edited March 2015 Posts: 17,691
    I'm not going to say Voyage Home is the best Trek film, but it is one I constantly come back to.
    It has such a great ending that leaves a big ole grin on your face...
    >:D<
    chrisisall wrote: »

We find STTMP the best as a stand alone science fiction film,
    STVI the best as a tense & tight Trek thriller with a moral.

II is great, but just not AS great IOO.

III was impressive as a liaison between II & IV, and is way better than it has any right being.

V had nice moments & felt most like a TV episode (The Apple or Way To Eden).

I'm arriving after the war was waged here but I totally agree with the outcome. Your winning trio is my winning trio for the very same reason. I'd say that in terms of a movie being completely successful VI come to mind despite its low budget!

I love when ST goes hard science. STTMP should be my favorite but it really lacks in terms of characterization.
    shamelord wrote: »
    I'd say that in terms of a movie being completely successful VI come to mind despite its low budget!
    Yeah, I guess the original cast went out on the best of notes!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Coming soon from CBS and Paramount it's... THE GORNS! =))
    My8TEdnl.jpg
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Murdock wrote: »
    My8TEdnl.jpg

"I'm trying to read the paper, Emily, what the hell do you have to build that stupid volcano in the living room for?"

"But, daaaaaaaaaaaaad, Jeffery gets to Skype with his friends out here!"
    My8TEdnl.jpg

That is brilliant! :))
    My8TEdnl.jpg
    Silly silly American man.

SO, I just had a religious experience! Today I received Star Trek: The Motion Picture on Blu Ray, and watched it. OMFG was it awesome. Without the Director's Edition additions/edits it still rocked BIG TIME, and it looked as good as 2001 or Blade Runner.
    BTW, these are my top four, along with Serenity. BUT, Serenity is mostly CGI, so visually it really can't compete....
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Interesting use of the Bossk action figures as the children. Plus, i love the mini leg lamp.
    pachazo wrote: »
    Interesting use of the Bossk action figures as the children. Plus, i love the mini leg lamp.

I always thought Bossk was Star Wars equivalent to the Gorn. I couldn't resist. ;) And thank you. The lamp was a Christmas ornament.
    I always thought Bossk was Star Wars equivalent to the Gorn.

Family Guy episode "Something, Something, Something Dark Side"

Stewie as Darth Vader: "Lizard guy who I think I saw fight Captain Kirk."
    My8TEdnl.jpg

The rock and roll show of this is "THE OSGORNS!!!" =))
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    The rock and roll show of this is "THE OSGORNS!!!" =))
    Don't give me any ideas. ;)
    :))