Tilda Swinton as Irma Bunt

Comments

• RC7RC7
    I just don't see, at this stage, that bringing back Blofeld was solely done for the purpose of ticket sales. Yes, there's a familiarity with the character, but so far, as seen with Le Chiffre, Moneypenny, Bond and Q, it's not just copy-paste work.

I understand your worries, but I also think it's way too early to say this will influence the overall quality of the film. For me, at this stage, and I can only speak for myself now, I feel quite uplifted about this film SPECTRE.

I'm not including Blofeld in the discussion, as I said earlier he is by nature a recurring villain and as long as they do him justice I'll be happy and I'm very much looking forward to SP. I just don't want them to open the floodgates.

• RC7 wrote: »
    I just don't see, at this stage, that bringing back Blofeld was solely done for the purpose of ticket sales. Yes, there's a familiarity with the character, but so far, as seen with Le Chiffre, Moneypenny, Bond and Q, it's not just copy-paste work.

I understand your worries, but I also think it's way too early to say this will influence the overall quality of the film. For me, at this stage, and I can only speak for myself now, I feel quite uplifted about this film SPECTRE.

I'm not including Blofeld in the discussion, as I said earlier he is by nature a recurring villain and as long as they do him justice I'll be happy and I'm very much looking forward to SP. I just don't want them to open the floodgates.

As long as the characters are really re-inventions of the original name and not just copies, I am happy. Sorry if my English is not always that good, but from my understanding a re-invention can be a great idea.

You only use the name, but actually make the character from a creative point of view very different and appealing in a new, unique kind of way. I think that's what's happening here.

Also, what I would like to discuss with you about (if you care not to refer to me as a queen ;-) ), is if you have actually have some great original ideas for a new villain. I am interested.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited February 2015 Posts: 16,328
    Re-invention can also be a bad idea. (Look at the Robocop reboot. YUCK!)

As I previously mentioned earlier.
    Khan from Star Trek into Darkness.
  • Murdock wrote: »

You're naming some very good examples of bad re-inventions here ;-). Very good @Murdock, thanks. The problem I had with ST-ID, was that I never believed Khan. Cumberbatch was a complete casting mismatch. And the references ("Khaaaaaan!!") were screaming laziness. But then again, I've never been a fan of J.J. Abrahms. He's a genie when it comes to marketing and popcorn movies. But as a director he lacks sophistication and nuance. Something you need when making a Bond film.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2015 Posts: 23,883
    RC7 wrote: »

As long as the characters are really re-inventions of the original name and not just copies, I am happy. Sorry if my English is not always that good, but from my understanding a re-invention can be a great idea.

You only use the name, but actually make the character from a creative point of view very different and appealing in a new, unique kind of way. I think that's what's happening here.

Also, what I would like to discuss with you about (if you care not to refer to me as a queen ;-) ), is if you have actually have some great original ideas for a new villain. I am interested.

Yes, like Q & MP, Felix, or M, or Bond himself as you say. :)

All nicely reinvented.

It can be done, but I hope they don't go back to the well too many times. A good mix of the old and new is needed.

I'd have preferred if they did not bring back Blofeld, but to each their own. It doesn't really bother me.

Over the past 50 odd years, they have taken small elements from the books for all the villains if I'm not mistaken. However, they have not used the same names. The names are not that important. The character (in terms of having someone fully fleshed out and well acted), the motivations and how it is portrayed are most important imo.
  • RC7RC7
    edited February 2015 Posts: 10,512

Oh no, I get what you mean and I understand the references they just don't stand up, for me that is. M, MP, Q, Felix and to a lesser extent, ESB are all characters who are either regulars or who've featured in numerous films in the canon. To varying degrees they are part of the tapestry of the films. Characters like 'Goldfinger', or 'Scaramanga' aren't, they punctuate the canon in an indelible, but transient manner, so to take the names and demonstrably change, update or re-imagine their characters just seems like an exercise in pointlessness to me. If they want to Bond to face-off with the world's best hit-man again, create a new threat that plays out in a completely different way to TMWTGG. I have several plots and ideas for villainous characters, but as a writer with futile aspirations of one day catching the eye of EON, I won't be sharing them on here.
    Murdock wrote: »

You're naming some very good examples of bad re-inventions here ;-). Very good @Murdock, thanks. The problem I had with ST-ID, was that I never believed Khan. Cumberbatch was a complete casting mismatch. And the references ("Khaaaaaan!!") were screaming laziness. But then again, I've never been a fan of J.J. Abrahms. He's a genie when it comes to marketing and popcorn movies. But as a director he lacks sophistication and nuance. Something you need when making a Bond film.

Yes and the points you are making about there KHANNNNN references. I'm afraid of those lazy examples being made in Bond films later down the road.

What if Bond 25 is simply Goldfinger? And they redo the laser scene and lift lines from the 1964 original. That is the point I'm trying to make. I don't want to see that again because it's already been done!
  • Murdock wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »

Yes and the points you are making about there KHANNNNN references. I'm afraid of those lazy examples being made in Bond films later down the road.

What if Bond 25 is simply Goldfinger? And they redo the laser scene and lift lines from the 1964 original. That is the point I'm trying to make. I don't want to see that again because it's already been done!

Come now. At this stage, in my opinion, there is no need to worry about this yet. Moreover, can we also focus on the actual...persons behind the name? I think this could be turning into a name discussion, instead of a character discussion. Let's see how the character of Irma Bunt works on-screen first.
    edited February 2015 Posts: 16,328
    Come now. At this stage, in my opinion, there is no need to worry about this yet. Moreover, can we also focus on the actual...persons behind the name? I think this could be turning into a name discussion, instead of a character discussion. Let's see how the character of Irma Bunt works on-screen first.

I'm not worried about anything. I'm just saying that I don't want future Bond films to rehash, reboot and reinvent past characters. The Bond films have been above that sort of thing. I'm disagreeing with you because you happen to be fine with it. Good. I have my own Bond opinions. I want Bond to remain fresh and take on New threats. (they can certainly borrow from unused Fleming material too.) But there is a limit to it.
  • RC7RC7
    Moreover, can we also focus on the actual...persons behind the name? I think this could be turning into a name discussion, instead of a character discussion. Let's see how the character of Irma Bunt works on-screen first.

I have my reservations about the character of ''Blofeld' in SP. I think he'll be incredibly portrayed by Waltz, if that is indeed who turns out to portray him, but in terms of character arc and his connection with Bond I have an unerring feeling that they will have been toying with something unnecessarily melodramatic. I hope I'm wrong.
    I guess the thing with Irma Bunt is that unlike Blofeld she was used only once and pretty much perfectly. I am not against seeing her again, but I don't want her to be modified to the point of being unrecognizable. The other thing is that the elements that were not used of her character mainly come from YOLT (her devoted love for her master for instance). Blofeld has far more material to work on. Pretty much everything, actually.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 11,119
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I guess the thing with Irma Bunt is that unlike Blofeld she was used only once and pretty much perfectly. I am not against seeing her again, but I don't want her to be modified to the point of being unrecognizable. The other thing is that the elements that were not used of her character mainly come from YOLT (her devoted love for her master for instance). Blofeld has far more material to work on. Pretty much everything, actually.

Perhaps they have chosen to use Irma Bunt, because they want her, in a later Bond film, to turn out like the Irma Bunt from the novel YOLT. Don't forget that after OHMSS, Guy Hamilton basically completely ignored OHMSS. Blofeld was more or less taken care off in FYEO, but Irma Bunt was still alive.

But call me a bit....different on this subject matter. For me personally SF was a great film, so I don't see, at least at this early stage, to worry about SP. And I know what some people will say now :-P.
  • RC7RC7
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Wait, Bunt is confirmed? Are we leaking things that we're not supposed to on this thread? I hope not because I don't want to know jack beyond what has been officially put out there.

As far as I know, Bunt hasn't been confirmed at all. I've only just realised @Gustav_Graves' last few posts discuss it as if it's fact.
    It's not confirmed. Just Gustav's imagination running wild. You are safe @Birdleson.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Wait, Bunt is confirmed? Are we leaking things that we're not supposed to on this thread? I hope not because I don't want to know jack beyond what has been officially put out there.

As far as I know, Bunt hasn't been confirmed at all. I've only just realised @Gustav_Graves' last few posts discuss it as if it's fact.

As I understand this is pure speculation, as well as the suggestion that Tilda Swinton will play her. People also mention Brigitte Millar, but is she ever confirmed in the cast? I haven't seen her name on the IMBD page of Spectre, or on her own IMDB entry.

I have to say, I would find far more believable the Irma Bunt theory/rumour if some fat or stocky actress was rumored to have been cast.
  • RC7RC7
    As I understand this is pure speculation, as well as the suggestion that Tilda Swinton will play her. People also mention Brigitte Millar, but is she ever confirmed in the cast? I haven't seen her name on the IMBD page of Spectre, or on her own IMDB entry.

I have to say, I would find far more believable the Irma Bunt theory/rumour if some fat or stocky actress was rumored to have been cast.

I remember reading Millar had been cast on the production timeline, I thought it had a link...

http://www.designntrend.com/articles/37290/20150130/james-bond-24-spectre-casting-two-new-actors-detlef-bothe-brigitte-millar-join-2015-spy-film.htm

If they're going the whole hog with the Blofeld of the novels then I guess Bunt is a possibility.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited February 2015 Posts: 15,423
    I've always liked Tilda Swinton, but not with that look. This one, rather, would be nicer if you ask me.
    f30f14d3d7e06f32c1bf30265e975665.jpg

As for Cate Blanchett, I would indefinitely go for her.

Alright. Now before considering this, do not shoot me as this might sound ridiculous to you, most of you probably but... what about Lara Pulver as Vesper's evil sister that got her involved with Quantum, now going to attempt and obliterate Bond in revenge for her sister's demise? And I'd love her, absolutely would love her to play a role similar to her Irene Adler role in Sherlock. Opinions?
    14123333_ori.jpg
  • Let's focus on Brigitte Millar. She is cast in "SPECTRE". Let's see if this could be her breakthrough-role. And I'm convinced she will be big after SP.

Many people in here complained about the fact that it was "uncreative" or even "lazy" to choose a big actor name to play a memorable role. Now Brigitte Millar gets the chance to do something similar, and IMO a relatively unknown actress.

I always said that Tilda Swinton could/should be considered to play a memorable henchwoman role. But it is Brigitte Millar now. Let's see how she will complicate life for agent 007 :-).

I remember reading Millar had been cast on the production timeline, I thought it had a link...

http://www.designntrend.com/articles/37290/20150130/james-bond-24-spectre-casting-two-new-actors-detlef-bothe-brigitte-millar-join-2015-spy-film.htm

If they're going the whole hog with the Blofeld of the novels then I guess Bunt is a possibility.

It would make sense that Millar is a villainess, she is not pretty enough to be a Bond girl. But Irma Bunt should be fat and ugly, so it would be an unusual casting choice. I guess with the right makeup artist she could be made ugly. In any case, she is a better choice for the butch Irma Bunt than Cate Blanchett as some people suggested here (Blanchett is an amazing actress, but far too good looking for Bunt).
  • RC7RC7
    Base on this...

I don't know what to think, but I'm always willing to give people the benefit of the doubt. I assume her role will be slim, like that of (I don't know why this sprung to mind) Vlad in DAD.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 1,552

It would make sense that Millar is a villainess, she is not pretty enough to be a Bond girl. But Irma Bunt should be fat and ugly, so it would be an unusual casting choice. I guess with the right makeup artist she could be made ugly. In any case, she is a better choice for the butch Irma Bunt than Cate Blanchett as some people suggested here (Blanchett is an amazing actress, but far too good looking for Bunt).

@Gustav_Graves We don't even know if Blunt is going to be in the film or how big of a part that Millar is going to play. She could just be a minor role, she may not even have that much screen time - yet you're talking like we know that her role is going to be significant and you know that she's going to be Blunt.

I know that you haven't read the script - you've made that clear in other threads - but you're causing confusion because you're talking like it's been confirmed that she is playing this big role. As, at this point, this whole conversation is conjecture, I think this should be made clear in your posts - it's a theory, nothing more.
  • RC7RC7
    In defence of @Gustav_Graves, if you type 'Brigitte Millar' into google the two top auto results ar 'Harry Potter' and 'Irma Bunt'. I'm not saying this is confirmation, but one would imagine that a lot of people have been throwing about this possibility. I don't know the ins and outs of google, so maybe I'm wrong.
    This is her official webpage with credits - the only credit shown for 2015 is for a film called The Jaakhin. Her IMDb page lists her in something called Run Away with Me which is in post production.

Searching her name with Bunt, it seems people are suggesting the connection because of the films title. I'm not saying she isn't, but that we shouldn't talk about her playing th role like it's set in stone.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I thought this was to discuss Tilda Swinton, as Irma Bunt.
    Most of the discussion recently concerns Brigitte Millar and her role in Spectre. I sincereley hope that role is not part of information relating to knowledge gained from the leaked script. There is as far as I am aware no information to the character Millar will play, other than that which is speculative.
    As far as Tilda Swinton goes, she is an actress that I fail to see any appeal for. I find her to have very limited range, often playing similar roles. A poor mans Helen Mirren at best. And thats being unkibd to Ms.Mirren,
    In defence of @Gustav_Graves, if you type 'Brigitte Millar' into google the two top auto results ar 'Harry Potter' and 'Irma Bunt'. I'm not saying this is confirmation, but one would imagine that a lot of people have been throwing about this possibility. I don't know the ins and outs of google, so maybe I'm wrong.

I think it is likely people make the same assumptions when they read the news that she is cast (is it official anyway? Does not seem to be yet).

If she is in the movie, she may be a Bunt-like villainess without being Bunt.
  • RC7RC7

I think it is likely people make the same assumptions when they read the news that she is cast (is it official anyway? Does not seem to be yet).

I know, like I said it seems 'people have been throwing about this possibility', it's not confirmation. We know Graves like to get giddy, so I'm sure it's that and nothing leak-related on his part.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 14,799

I know, like I said it seems 'people have been throwing about this possibility', it's not confirmation. We know Graves like to get giddy, so I'm sure it's that and nothing leak-related on his part.

We all get enthusiastic about our own speculations, to a degree. Those who suggested Christoph Waltz as Blofeld a few years ago must be chuckling now (even though he may not be Blofeld, he is so far the most likely candidate).

Millar may even be like the Helen McCrory character in SF.
  • Just reread this article please: www.mi6-hq.com/news/?itemid=11662

Speculation is already in that article. Next step is coming up with names. So I understand if I create some confusion at times, but it doesn't always start with me. Perhaps I follow the news too closely. And as a result I respond very fast.

But fact is....this speculation also surrounded previous Bond productions. The fact that these SonyLeaks are around makes it slightly different...
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 11,119
    Just reread this article please:
    mi6-hq.com/news/?itemid=11662

Speculation is already in that article. Next step is coming up with names. So I understand if I create some confusion at times, but it doesn't always start with me. Perhaps I follow the news too closely. And as a result I respond very fast.

But fact is....this speculation also surrounded previous Bond productions. The fact that these SonyLeaks are around makes it slightly different...If names are being discussed without reading the leaked screenplay, and forummembers who actually read the leaked screenplay see that a partícular name IS right, you have the problem we're all referring to. And I can't prevent that from happening. Sorry.
    How do rumors get started?
    Will the Bunt character be in SP ? Would not put it past EON to use characters from other books in the films. Hell, FYEO had characters from the short story Risico in addition to the source story, "For Your eyes..."
    Milton Krest was a character in "The Hildebrand Rarity"

I don't see them having a Bunt character in SP. Perhaps Belucci will be named Irma Bunt or Melina Havelock for that matter . Since the Craig films are all a totally different timeline and the events of the first twenty odd films never happened.

I digress....