Is the Double-Take Pigeon the silliest thing in Moore's era?

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    :)) How could I forget the Iron Lady.
    There are just too many silly moments in Moore's films. both good (OP, FYEO) and the Bad (MR, AVTAK)

For every good scene in OP and FYEO we still have to endure the Tarzan yell and "the Iron Lady"
    MR not only had the pigeon but those silly scenes involving a certain 7-foot henchman.
    and lets not forget the stupid cabbie from AVTAK "Oh My Car, Oh!"

• CrabKey wrote: »
    For me the question has always been "why"? Why take the series this direction? Beginning with GF, things lightened up a bit, but how did we get to the self-parody and buffoonery of the Moore films?

Because Roger Moore was incredibly good at it ? Casting "someone else" is always the biggest risk, so let's use the current Bond in a way he's very good at...

• Another silly moment to add to the mix: Jaws' first meeting with the girl he gets together with. Nice idea on paper, but that first scene - where he crashes into the building and she arrives on the scene to assist him get free, then that awful lovey dovey music... what on Earth!?
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Right movie, wrong scene.

Anything involving outer space.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Thatcher scene is the worst for me.
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    lets not forget the stupid cabbie from AVTAK "Oh My Car, Oh!"

Urgh, an often overlooked low point in the series if you ask me.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I liked that taxi scene, one of the highlights of that film.
    You can see him overracting when He's shoved back into that stand.
    He was a taxi driver, not Marlon Brando.
    Marlin Brando would have probably done a Robert DeNiro and spent weeks as a taxi driver just for those few seconds ;)
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Marlin Brando would have probably done a Robert DeNiro and spent weeks as a taxi driver just for those few seconds ;)

Mah ca! The horror! The horror!
    "Taxi! Follow that parachute"
    "That I cannot do"

Probably a good thing Brando wasnt in that film as the horses at those stables wouldn't have come out too well.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    The very worst for me is the godawful Bondola. Utter crap and entirely not funny. I cannot picture them filming this and laughing, thinking they were making a great comedic moment. So not.

I don't mind the ending of FYEO at all; silly yes, but good fun.
    The Bondola stuff is pretty bad but it's typical of British 70s slapstick.
    I mean take MR... we are treated to Corinne's nasty and very unpleasant death scene
    The we see the Gondala, the pigeon, Jaws and his OTT scenes startign with the PTS and continuing thru the whold movie.
    This shifting of realities by mixing brutality with OTT slapstick can lead to a nervous breakdown.
  • BAIN123 wrote: »
    You can see him overracting when He's shoved back into that stand.

This taxi driver somehow fits in the Louis de Funes stunts that follow... The deleted scene after that, if it had been included in the final movie, would have make the point even clearer : this scene was in 70s French comedy mode :)
    yes, very broad humour.
  • Mah ca! The horror! The horror!

Once Sgt Pepper is out of the series, it's almost like they tried to shoehorn in a Comedy Character for every film. The taxi guy shouting after his car ("my car, mah car!") is this film's poor Sgt Pepper substitute.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 11,189
    Bond checking his watch while dressed in a gorilla costume?? That's a pretty good contender also.

I know he's meat to be in disguise but it's pretty ridiculous.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    MrBlofeld wrote: »

Once Sgt Pepper is out of the series, it's almost like they tried to shoehorn in a Comedy Character for every film. The taxi guy shouting after his car ("my car, mah car!") is this film's poor Sgt Pepper substitute.

Sgt Pepper ! Is a LP record by the Beatles. JW Pepper however is another matter whilst we're at it how about Dr Pepper you can take your pick only one was in a Bond film.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 7,502
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    MrBlofeld wrote: »

Sgt Pepper ! Is a LP record by the Beatles. JW Pepper however is another matter whilst we're at it how about Dr Pepper you can take your pick only one was in a Bond film.

I guess he is talking about "Baby would you drive my car" as the "Sgt Pepper substitute"... ;)
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Haha I love the overacting taxi driver. When he swings his arms as he starts to chase after car. So absurd.

Godspeed to the double take pigeon. I hope he /she has bred millions of pigeons that frequent our skies today, all with whiplash from turning their heads so fast.
    As for chasing a car waving your arms etc, has anyone seen some
    Recent videos of people having their cars stolen?
    Much shouting and loads of gestures if anything the French taxi
    Driver was a method actor, he's so real . ;)
    Why is he screaming IN ENGLISH?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Why is he screaming IN ENGLISH?

For the same reason the russian generals are talking in english during their meeting in OP. :P

He recognised Roger Moore . ;)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    DrGorner wrote: »
    He recognised Roger Moore . ;)

After Sir Rog's surgery? Legend! :))
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 11,189
    Another one:

I was watching a bit of MR yesterday and the part came on when Jaws grins at the security man at the metal director in the airport. As if they'd just let him on the plane in real life? :p
    Well I wouldn't try and stop him :D Think of the case if Jaws
    Took them up for discrimination, on the grounds of his " disability "
    No real teeth ! :))