Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Creasy47 wrote: »
    'The Babadook'

Whatever, I didn't feel like sleeping tonight, anyway.
    That's it. I'm getting that movie.

I've heard nothing but praise about it and I'm in need of a good scary movie!
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 2,081
    Source Code (2011), starring Jake Gyllenhaal, Michelle Monaghan, Vera Farmiga, Jeffrey Wright. I liked this one a lot.

Prisoners (2013), starring Jake Gyllenhaal, Hugh Jackman, Viola Davis, Maria Bello, Melissa Leo, Paul Dano. Cinematography by Roger Deakins. Whoa, this story... horrible, tragic, heartbreaking, believable, well told and very well acted by all, and Jackman and Gyllenhaal in the central roles were both wonderful. Looked good (well, d'uh), and I liked the music, too.

(I'm considering of adding Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal to the Oh-heck-just-watch-everything-they-are-in list. :P )

Saw Batman Begins on tv a few weeks ago. Hadn't seen it for a while and had forgotten many details... and how wonderful it is. Obviously I then needed to see the other two, so went and got them from the library. Watched both. Then wanted to see Begins again, so went and got that from the library, too, and watched it again. Still had the other two, and I was only going to re-watch some of TDK again, but damn it, couldn't help myself and re-watched the whole movie. There's just so much in them that... well, you know... So now I'm trying to decide what to do with TDKR - should I re-watch it now, too, and if I do will I end up appreciating it more as well? Maybe even find humor in it (more than that one line, that is...)? Ok, need to watch it again...

I've only now become aware of the "dream ending" theory for TDKR, which made me go "Wot???" and some issues some people had like "How was he supposed to survive?" and what not... When people watch movies they should actually watch the movies instead of fiddling with their mobiles or whatever the hell they do instead of paying attention to whole bloody scenes - and then blaming the filmmakers as being lazy and whining "but that wasn't explained". Geez. Those comments reminded me of some I read about True Detective... some people wondering how x knew to go to y. Makes you wanna ask "did you not notice the stuff about the AUTOPILOT (TDKR)/TELEPHONE (TD)?"

Interstellar (2014). Well... I saw it when it opened and I wanted to see it again on the big screen while I still could - it's a big screen movie.

I'd recommend all six of those (TDKR with some reservations).

Movies... :x
    Batman Begins

About a month ago I finally got around to upgrading Batman Begins and The Dark Knight to blu-ray. Watched Batman Begins last night, tonight will be The Dark Knight. I have to say that Batman Begins is my favorite of the trilogy. While The Dark Knight is an amazing film, I think it's highly overrated among fans.

I haven't quite decided yet which one I love more. They're... different, but both wonderful, IMO. One definite improvement The Dark Knight has over Batman Begins is Maggie Gyllenhaal instead of Katie Holmes. Otherwise, I don't know... Different tone.

Btw, the word "overrated" is kinda tricky (in a my-taste-is-better-than-your-taste, I'm-right-you're-wrong kind of way). People like different things, and "overrated" depends on personal taste and point of view. :)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    The November Man

I'd like to thank people like @Murdock and @chrisisall for being so adamant that I check this film out.
    Seeing Pierce like this is such a kick.

I'm SO glad you had precisely the same reaction to this movie Brady! Your review is eloquent in ways I couldn't begin to approach. You said what I felt about it yet lacked the time or words to express, thanks man! =D>
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    chrisisall wrote: »
    The November Man

I'd like to thank people like @Murdock and @chrisisall for being so adamant that I check this film out.

I'm SO glad you had precisely the same reaction to this movie Brady! Your review is eloquent in ways I couldn't begin to approach. You said what I felt about it yet lacked the time or words to express, thanks man! =D>

Glad our opinion's helped you make a great choice. ;)
    Die Hard.
    Gets better every year. It's my Christmas tradition.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Die Hard.
    Gets better every year. It's my Christmas tradition.

@chrisisall, This IS Christmas music! ;)
    Smack dab on the lawn! :)>-
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The November Man

Murdock wrote: »
    The November Man

Glad our opinion's helped you make a great choice. ;)
    Now all we need to do is get @Creasy47 to watch it! If he hasn't already, that is.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited December 2014 Posts: 40,487
    I'm happy you liked it, and yet another eloquent review, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7. Only saw it once in theaters, but my amazing girlfriend bought it for me for Christmas, so I know what I'll be doing in the AM on the 25th!

(Typed this up on my cell earlier, but I guess it never did post, sadly.)

And yes, Brady, as I said, I saw it one of the first days it was in theaters. Told you guys I'd be in line for it if I had the chance! ;)

'Manhunter' (1986)

I've seen every film in the Hannibal Lecter series but this one, so I finally laid down last night and watched it. Sadly, I was unaware that it was a remake to 'Red Dragon,' but it did manage to be much different, so the ending and other events came as a surprise. Michael Mann helmed this, and you can see some trademark staples of his in this movie, which was great. The cast was wonderful, and while I think Cox played a great Lecter, he isn't as good as Hopkins. As for Dollarhyde, Tom Noonan played one incredible villain: tall, eerie, cunning, and deadly, and he played the role in a much more psychotic way than Ralph Fiennes did in 'Red Dragon.' This film really surprised me, and wasn't disappointing after all these years of "Oh, I'll get around to it some day" comments.
    Showed my kids Alien today and they were impressed with it and knew there were sequels and immediately wanted to push on, told them the xmas break is long enough to not watch them in one sitting.
    My youngest who is easily the most horror minded in her tastes actually rated the movie very good and she does not like scifi at all but considered the Alien very cool. She loved Ripley and Jonesy.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Fight Club
    21 Grams

Both I had seen before, and loved them again for this rewatch session.
  • Yesterday, I turned on Netflix and watched The Hustler for the first time. Followed that with Mud and finished the night with Glengarry Glen Ross. I enjoyed all of them. I have seen GGR before and the desperation in Jack Lemmon's character still make me really uncomfortable.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Just watched The November Man, and I have to agree with what most members here said: fantastic movie, Pierce Brosnan is a total legend and was super badass in this movie.
    Just watched The November Man, and I have to agree with what most members here said: fantastic movie, Pierce Brosnan is a total legend and was super badass in this movie.
    Another satisfied customer.
    =D>
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 4,813
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    'The Babadook'

Whatever, I didn't feel like sleeping tonight, anyway.
    That's it. I'm getting that movie.

I've heard nothing but praise about it and I'm in need of a good scary movie!

1408495006108_wps_19_The_Babadook_Movie_s_Phot.jpg

Well that's just great. I watched it with my girlfriend earlier and now I'm sitting here in my car on nightshift next to the woodline and ALL I CAN THINK ABOUT IS THE DAMN BABADOOK. That movie was so creepy . It started off a little slow but when
    she initially tore up the book only to find it on her doorstep patched together WITH added pages that would have been it for me!!! :-O

But joking aside, it was a very good movie- a horror movie with brains. BTW, did you know if you go to 'thebabadook.com' you can actually buy a replica of the book!! It's pretty expensive ($60 + $20 shipping) but the book was pretty complex and creative.

So watch The Babadook. But I'd suggest not watching it alone
    @Master_Dahark, I was hearing stuff all night after I watched the movie. I went upstairs when it was done (everyone else was asleep) to get food from the pantry, and when I shifted over to the refrigerator, I swear I heard something shifting around the corner. Ran downstairs and closed my door for the night, that movie freaked me out.
  • I was pretty disappointed in November Man which is a shame because on paper it sounded great (an R rated down to earth spy film starring one of my favourite Bonds). Apart from a couple of scenes (the torture scene took me by surprise in a good way, really showed that this guy is more of an anti hero than Bond or Bourne) thought it was pretty bland and I didn't like the guy playing Brosnan's apprentice at all.

It wasn't bad, but I don't think it was great. Pretty generic, story and action were nothing special imo and it uses a lot of cliches. Brosnan was brilliant so it's a shame the film around him wasn't.

If I want to watch Pierce Brosnan kick ass in a great action film, I'll watch GE or TWINE (both brilliant movies), or even TND. The November Man was decent but it's not something I'll be rushing to rewatch any time soon.

This Is The End

Really funny. Everyone was great but Jonah Hill is the best part of the film.
    I was pretty disappointed in November Man .
    That's a shame. Oh well, ya can't please all the peeps all the time. I thought it was pretty great, but I have to admit it was hard seeing him so cold. Still as an indie production costing what most TV commercials cost these days I thought it was an incredible use of resources.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    THE HOBBIT-THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES

The first two were boring as Hell. This one was magnificent.

They saved the best for last I guess, but the first two should have been cut down to one film imo.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    edited December 2014 Posts: 1,812
    Tuulia wrote: »
    Saw Batman Begins on tv a few weeks ago. Hadn't seen it for a while and had forgotten many details... and how wonderful it is. Obviously I then needed to see the other two, so went and got them from the library. Watched both. Then wanted to see Begins again, so went and got that from the library, too, and watched it again. Still had the other two, and I was only going to re-watch some of TDK again, but damn it, couldn't help myself and re-watched the whole movie. There's just so much in them that... well, you know... So now I'm trying to decide what to do with TDKR - should I re-watch it now, too, and if I do will I end up appreciating it more as well? Maybe even find humor in it (more than that one line, that is...)? Ok, need to watch it again...

I've only now become aware of the "dream ending" theory for TDKR, which made me go "Wot???" and some issues some people had like "How was he supposed to survive?" and what not... Makes you wanna ask "did you not notice the stuff about the AUTOPILOT (TDKR)/TELEPHONE (TD)?"

I haven't quite decided yet which one I love more. They're... different, but both wonderful, IMO. One definite improvement The Dark Knight has over Batman Begins is Maggie Gyllenhaal instead of Katie Holmes. Otherwise, I don't know... Different tone.

I like Batman Begins the most because it was a more personal story/journey. We actually get to see how he becomes Batman instead of just the "why" (his parents murder) he becomes Batman. Plus, it's the only movie that uses a villain that hasn't already been in one. One thing I have to disagree with you about is Holmes and Gyllenhaal, I much prefer Katie Holmes over Maggie Gyllenhaal.

The other night I watched both The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises. First off I want to say that I love The Dark Knight Trilogy (so no one attack me for saying this) but I find The Dark Knight my least favorite of the three. It's a great movie but usually by the last 20 minutes (roughly around the time the Joker holds people hostage on the boats) I'm just ready for it to end. The thing is I can't think of any scenes to take out to make it a little shorter, it's all great.
    I think what The Dark Knight suffers from is what I like to call "The Sin City Effect". Sin City is a movie that I enjoy but it feels like along movie that drags on, even though it's under two hours. It feels that way to me because it has multiple climaxes before it reaches it's conclusion, where as most movies just have one climax and then the ending follows shortly after. So it feels like it drags on before we finally get to our conclusion. The Dark Knight is a long movie that has two climactic scenes, the car chase and the fight in the building at the end. I remember thinking that the movie must almost be over when the car chase scene was going on, yet there was still just under an hour left.

The Dark Knight Rises is my second favorite of the trilogy. It's the longest of the three yet at no point do I feel like it drags on and I'm ready for it to be over. I will admit it has more flaws than the other two but only by a little bit. I'm also happy they redeemed Bane after his embarrassing debut in Batman & Robin.
    As for the dream ending, which I've only just heard about recently, I think it's absolute B.S. I don't know how Batman survived at the end but he did. He didn't die and the rest of the film is Alfred dreaming everything. It doesn't make any sense. We see Selina Kyle with Bruce at the end... how did Alfred know that they were a thing? Fox finds out that the autopilot was fixed on the Bat... how did Alfred know a thing about the autopilot or was Fox dreaming as well? Gordon finds the new Bat Signal... was he dreaming too?

Batman Begins
    The Dark Knight Rises
    The Dark Knight
    Batman Returns
    Batman
    Batman Forever
    Batman & Robin
    @Thunderfinger, my thoughts are the complete opposite: I loved the first two 'Hobbit' movies and the third one was a massive disappointment in so many ways.
    @Thunderfinger, my thoughts are the complete opposite: I loved the first two 'Hobbit' movies and the third one was a massive disappointment in so many ways.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    We think opposite on so many levels. Gotta love it!
    We think opposite on so many levels. Gotta love it!

We do, but it makes for some great conversation and I don't think any less of you for it! Feel free to spoiler tag it if it involves spoilers, but what did you think 'Battle of the Five Armies' improved on that was lacking or bad in the first two 'Hobbit' installments?

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Creasy47

I'm glad you enjoyed Manhunter. I prefer that film to Red Dragon TBH. I suppose my endless love for Mann's style has something to do with it. That in a gadda da vida climax? Brilliant! Tom Noonan is quite the scary figure; go watch Ti West's deliciously retro House Of The Devil if you need more convincing. ;-)
    edited December 2014 Posts: 23,559
    Logan's Run (1976)

LogansRun2.jpg

The future, by 70's conventions, almost never looks good; or it looks deceptively clean and you soon find out there's a frightening catch. Logan's Run is of the latter kind. Humans live in an artificial paradise, sheltered from the elements and the harsh 'outside' world. But once you turn 30, you're eliminated. Can you escape this dark fate?

Logan's Run is my kind of science fiction movie. It's fantasy first and foremost, but it doesn't shy away from moral and ethical questions. The sets are just beautiful, balancing between the colourful warmth of Barbarella and the cleanness of 2001: A Space Odyssey. Jerry Goldsmith's score sounds futuristic but without the excessive reliance on electronics like in Louis and Bebe Barron's experimental music for The Forbidden Planet. Even the obvious miniature work doesn't fail to impress me. Quick reminder - we're about two decades away from CGI slowly becoming the norm.

logans-run.jpg

Michael York - yes, Basil Exposition - oozes 70's boyishness and Jenny Agutter is quite sexy, something that took me by surprise since I only knew her from her role as a troubled stepmother in Child's Play 2. Farraw Fawcett, despite her considerably smaller part, is quite noticeable for wearing some delicious outfits. Last but absolutely not least is Peter Ustinov as ... an old man. (He was only about fifty-four at the time of shooting.) Ustinov's remarkable acting adds a sweet cherry on top of an already great pie.

Picture+g8.jpg

If you like 70s science fiction that borrowed from Star Trek and Planet Of The Apes but in turn inspired The Island, Logan's Run was made for you. If they ever remake the film, and I'm sure they will, I'll be curious to see if modern filmmaking techniques can capture the same charm. I really like Logan's Run.
    They already remade Logans Run as a tv series.

Jenny Agutter is brilliant in this movie, I liked her nurse in An American werewolf in London too.
    @DarthDimi, the finale was excellent! The song choice was fantastic, and you can really see Mann's soundtrack influence with the great selections throughout. Tom Noonan was most certainly a wonderful villain in this, and very creepy, indeed.

I've seen 'The House of the Devil' many times, and it's a wonderful film and instantly made me a big fan of Ti West. Speaking of him, have you seen 'The Sacrament' yet? I haven't, but it's on Netflix Instant, so I think I know what I'll watch tonight!
    Haven't watched The Sacrament. I quite like The Innkeepers.