A Free Chance for Fans to Lobby for Yusef's Return...

Now that Jesper Christensen has confirmed that Spectre will include Mr. White, I'd like to create a separate post with an idea to have fans make a last minute influence on the film for a dramatic twist.

I have the email address of the guy who plays Yusef in QOS. Would it be a good idea to share it with you guys and see if we can encourage him to contact the producers, let them know of his availability and support an idea that Bond's "unexpected message" be delivered by a now-freed Yusef?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    "Plisss........make it quick".

Loved him in QoS. It won't happen though. They probably want Christensen just to tie QoS into Spectre.
  • I think it is a very good idea and I would like to see him in SP
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    But.. The script is written..
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Yusef is irrelevant. He served his purpose. He was booty bait for the ladies that was all.
  • But.. The script is written..

Directors and even actor Daniel Craig have been known to make last minute adjustments or castings during filming.

Yusef would serve as a great "unlikely ally or source" for Bond to go with the plot.

• Send me a private message if you want the email address.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 1,778
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Yusef is irrelevant. He served his purpose. He was booty bait for the ladies that was all.

^ This. Bringing Yusef back would be a superfluous addition to an already pretty big main cast.

Besides the Vesper storyline is wrapped up. Harping on it any longer would be counter-productive. And it's not like the character made a big impression to begin with. I almost forgot who he even was when I read this thread's title.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Um...no
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited December 2014 Posts: 1,257
    Yusef would serve as a great "unlikely ally or source" for Bond to go with the plot.

Bond showed a lot of restraint by not putting a bullet in Yusef's head at the end of QOS. So I'm have a hard time believing that Bond would even consider seeking his help.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    With that said, I do like the prospect of tie-ins from CR or QOS. Perhaps Mr. White will be sufficient in that regard though.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 1,778
    With that said, I do like the prospect of tie-ins from CR or QOS. Perhaps Mr. White will be sufficient in that regard though.

Mr. White is definitely enough. By the end of QOS the big story is Quantum not Vesper and her boyfriend. Bond dropping Vesper's necklace in the snow is symbolic of Bond "dropping" this whole ordeal and moving on. That aspect of Bond's story was sufficiently wrapped up.

Quantum on the other hand is a different story. I suppose we'll never see a confrontation between Bond and Guy Haines.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Kerim wrote: »
    Um...no
    Let me think...No from me as well.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Yusef was a low level Quantum grunt used to seduce government agents. Assuming Bond didn't completely destroy his face off camera and that MI-6 got what they wanted from him, there isn't a need for him.
    I am not all against his return if they ever find him relevant for whatever reason. But frankly, I can't see how or why he could/should be brought back.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Murdock wrote: »
    Yusef was a low level Quantum grunt used to seduce government agents. Assuming Bond didn't completely destroy his face off camera and that MI-6 got what they wanted from him, there isn't a need for him.

I agree and the way Bond did not kill him was what I hoped for when I saw that scene first in the cinema. There has been enough killing; the lesson was learned and he had moved on from the blame for Vesper's death. That said I do pay my dues to @dramaticscenesofQOS and his admirable attempts to put QoS on the map again as I too love the film. In fact, it's in my top 5 Bonds.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I've spoken often about how I wanted Yusef back, but I don't think that's going to happen. I'd love to see Bond forced to work with Yusef to take out Quantum/SPECTRE, who is basically the man responsible for baiting Vesper and pushing her to a breakdown that resulted in her suicide. If M forced Bond to work with the you-know-what that took his love away from him, the possibilities would be endless and to see 007 trying desperately to keep it cool would give Dan so much subtle yet brilliant work to do onscreen.

However, I had this idea long before I knew Quantum would indeed be back in some capacity for #24, so as long as the Quantum arc is continued and properly resolved in time, I'm not going to be that bugged by Yusef's absence. I'm happy we're getting Mr. White and a return of that story without him. Yusef had a small part in QoS but a monumental part in the story as far as Bond's fight to get over Vesper goes, and the fact that 007 didn't strangle him to death with his bare hands right there showed how much he had grown and learned from the futility in personal revenge. In that way, Yusef served his purpose and he got seemingly thrown in the brig for good. Funnily enough, Bond fights Silva in the next film, who is the kind of man he could have been if revenge had gotten into his soul; very interesting, that. Mendes and co. really played up the doppelganger theme with Bond and Silva, that being just once example.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    The name "Quantum" will not be mentioned in SP, simply because it's too confusing for mainstream audiences to have two villainous organisations. Only hardcore Bond fans actually care about the exact relationship between the two. We need to remember that QOS is the least successful and hence least viewed film of the Craig era, so they will be keen to avoid anyone feeling alienated by not having seen it.

We will see Mr White onscreen and the fans will be left to presume that after the demise of Quantum he simply re-allied himself with a new organisation.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited December 2014 Posts: 28,694
    With Mr. White back in the film Quantum will certainly not go completely unmentioned; that just won't happen and doesn't make sense.

And how much a film has been watched by an audience isn't represented in box office numbers. By thinking that way you automatically forget those that see the film in other, more controversial ways.

By the way, by the end of QoS Quantum was by no means dead, or even close. It's a hydra: you cut one head, another grows in its place. Who else do you think found and axed Greene, sending a message?
    No i would say he is done with! White was the biggest loose end!
  • RogueAgent wrote: »

I'm also against Yusef in SPECTRE but what about Guy Haines? He was a high ranking member of Quantum organization with connections to British Prime Minister. He's still at large. Ang he's danger with his political power. It's a loose end for me.

I hope that SPECTRE will give me some answers.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I think we got the closure on that character. Bringing Yusef back would almost instantly imply bringing Vesper back into the story, i.e. mentioning her or whatever. I think we can put all that behind us now - or: Bond got his solace. White is another thing entirely.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Tokoloshe wrote: »
    The name "Quantum" will not be mentioned in SP, simply because it's too confusing for mainstream audiences to have two villainous organisations. Only hardcore Bond fans actually care about the exact relationship between the two. We need to remember that QOS is the least successful and hence least viewed film of the Craig era, so they will be keen to avoid anyone feeling alienated by not having seen it.

We will see Mr White onscreen and the fans will be left to presume that after the demise of Quantum he simply re-allied himself with a new organisation.

That's beyond absurd reasoning. The audience will get confused? Where on earth do you live?

Librarian wrote: »
    RogueAgent wrote: »

I'm also against Yusef in SPECTRE but what about Guy Haines? He was a high ranking member of Quantum organization with connections to British Prime Minister. He's still at large. Ang he's danger with his political power. It's a loose end for me.

Maybe White takes out another Double O? This being the trigger from Bond's past? Who knows? Even though Mr White has very little screen time? For me he just has this deadly mysterious presence that Jesper Christienson has nailed to perfection! Just absolutely love him and he deserves more before he maybe meets his maker?

I,d love to see Guy Haines again if only because Paul Ritter is a great actor. But something may have happened to him inbetween QOS ans SP. Simple as that. The antagonism was mainly between Bond and White really, after the death of Le Chiffre.
  • Ludovico wrote: »

I,d love to see Guy Haines again if only because Paul Ritter is a great actor. But something may have happened to him inbetween QOS ans SP. Simple as that. The antagonism was mainly between Bond and White really, after the death of Le Chiffre.

I think it was pretty clear that they were setting up Guy Haines as the big villain in Bond 23 or beyond. Possibly a modern day Blofeld. But things change all the time. Now that EON has the rights to Spectre back I guess Haines has become redundant with the looming presence of Blofeld. Still It'd be nice to see him pop up for a quick scene to give Quantum more closure.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I think we got the closure on that character. Bringing Yusef back would almost instantly imply bringing Vesper back into the story, i.e. mentioning her or whatever. I think we can put all that behind us now - or: Bond got his solace. White is another thing entirely.
    But why not having her mentioned, Dimi? Bond from the books visited her gravestone once in a year during his annual travelling to Royal-les-eaux since the first novel. That's where he met Tracy, right?
  • DarthDimi wrote: »
    But why not having her mentioned, Dimi? Bond from the books visited her gravestone once in a year during his annual travelling to Royal-les-eaux since the first novel. That's where he met Tracy, right?

Yeah but to my knowledge that was only mentioned once (in OHMSS). In between those novels the stories never took time to have Bond visit Vesper's grave. It would be repetitive and unnecessary.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited December 2014 Posts: 15,423
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Yeah but to my knowledge that was only mentioned once (in OHMSS). In between those novels the stories never took time to have Bond visit Vesper's grave. It would be repetitive and unnecessary.
    But, of course. I'm sure you know where I was coming from, however.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I wouldn't necessarily be upset if they brought back Yusef and / or mentioned Vesper, I simply fail to see why they'd do that. I much sooner expect a passing reference to the former M, and even that is not something I desire. Bond films aren't into that level of "myth building". However, I admit that Tracy was referenced twice after OHMSS and the word 'predecessor' was used by both M in GE and Q/R in DAD. So if they mention Vesper in the proper context, I might even like it.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Tokoloshe wrote: »

That's beyond absurd reasoning. The audience will get confused? Where on earth do you live?

QOS was not a successful film when compared to the other two. It left an unfortunate loose end by not killing off Mr White, so all that is needed is for him to reappear in SP and then be bumped off at some point; ideally by Bond himself.

There are a number of ways that Mr White can be used without it ever needing to be specifically explained how/why. We know he survived the events of QOS, that's all that is actually needed.

If you think Quantum as an organisation will be back again, ask yourself why the producers would do that. I can't think of any good reason.