Least violent Bond Film?

Comments

• KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Yeah, Wint and Kidd were pretty sadistic. Scorpion, Plenty's cement shoes, nearly cremating Bond. DN was pretty dark for its time. Plus it's the first film that showed a woman bleeding after being killed.

Which is why after careful consideration, I state that TMWTGG was the least violent film. Four deaths (Scaramanga, Andrea, Hi Fat, Rodney) and they were all shot.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Kerim wrote: »
    after careful consideration, I state that TMWTGG was the least violent film.
    I must defer to my esteemed colleague here.
    :)>-
  • The Man with the Golden Gun would be my number two choice. I only put Goldfinger ahead because what violence there is in TMWTGG (the gunshot assassinations, the kung fu students dueling to the death with swords, Bond hitting Andrea) feels more visceral and more menacing to me than Goldfinger's. But that's probably splitting hairs. TMWTGG is a fine choice.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    Thinking about how the Mastrson sister's die, pretty violent/gruesome. Oddjob's death is fairly intense too. And Solo gets shot then crush din his car. And Goldfinger sprays bullets into four US solders, in the back.

Yeah, the shoot-out with the military at Fort Knox is a point to be considered, but I explained on the previous page why I think those other things aren't all that violent (compared with the violence in the rest of the James Bond films, that is). Which film do you consider the least violent?
  • DAF has more gruesome violence in its PTS than many Bond films have in their entirety. Bond punches out a gambler, practically strangles a girl with her bikini top, launches several scalpels into one of Blofeld's goons, drowns a man in mud, and sends Blofeld's double into a cauldron of boiling mud.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 654
    Kerim wrote: »
    Yeah, Wint and Kidd were pretty sadistic. Scorpion, Plenty's cement shoes, nearly cremating Bond. DN was pretty dark for its time. Plus it's the first film that showed a woman bleeding after being killed.

Which is why after careful consideration, I state that TMWTGG was the least violent film. Four deaths (Scaramanga, Andrea, Hi Fat, Rodney) and they were all shot.

Don't forget about Gibson. He get's shot in the face...

• It's much easier to say which are the most violent rather than the least. TB, LTK, CR, QOS and DAF are all pretty nasty. Outside of that lot, it's difficult to determine which sticks out as least violent. I mean, really, violence is a hallmark of Bond films.
  • I think now that OHMSS ,GE,TB,TND are least violent.
    moore45 wrote: »
    I think now that OHMSS ,GE,TB,TND are least violent.

dsccy.jpg
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Personally I find OP to be one of the least violent Bond films.
    hahaha is it weird that at first I read OP as in Original Poster ? :D
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited November 2014 Posts: 1,727
    No one else think AVTAK was quite tame compared with the rest?
    Apart from the guy getting a ninja star in the neck there was no real visceral violence I thought...
  • And DAD is like a saturday morning cartoon to me.
  • AceHole wrote: »
    No one else think AVTAK was quite tame compared with the rest?
    Apart from the guy getting a ninja star in the neck there was no real visceral violence I thought...

Zorin blowing the California state geologist away point blank, and machine gunning the mine workers? MayDay hooking Aubergine?

The least violent is jointly any film with Sir Roger Moore in it!
    moore45 wrote: »
    And DAD is like a saturday morning cartoon to me.

post-39532-Charlton-Heston-laughing-gif-I-YSt4.gif
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    LeChiffre wrote: »

For Your Eyes Only, Octopussy and A View to a Kill all contain a lot of violence.
    I would put AVTAK up there as one of the MOST violent (along with LTK, CR, QOS). Zorin gunning down the mine workers is perhaps the most violent scene in the series.

• edited November 2014 Posts: 2,341
    It would have to be a Moore film, so lets hear it for TMWTGG. LALD would be a close second.

Since FRWL there was a conscious effort to tone down the violence. Hence GF has no blood shown in it, despite the large number of fatalities. However, I stand by my comments that TMWTGG is the least violent.
  • DAF is violent as hell, I'm not sure what you all are getting at. Fist fight in the elevator, all of Wint & Kidd's murders, setting Mr. Kidd on fire, shooting Blofeld's double, the PTS.

Truly can't understand how people would consider it the least violent film in the series.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed

For Your Eyes Only, Octopussy and A View to a Kill all contain a lot of violence.
    I would put AVTAK up there as one of the MOST violent (along with LTK, CR, QOS). Zorin gunning down the mine workers is perhaps the most violent scene in the series.

Dropping Klotkoff into the spinning blades on the oil rig also springs to mind.

Tokoloshe wrote: »

Dropping Klotkoff into the spinning blades on the oil rig also springs to mind.

Ah yes! Great scene. I like how the scene cuts to the control room,where the power reading dips for a few seconds (as Klotkoff meets a gruesome end) and then returns to normal.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Great scene .
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 7,500
    AVTAK is often, quite superficially, described as a light, "standard" (if you like...) Moore film. And sure, there are some goofy bits in there too. But at its core, it might actually be one of the darkest entries in the series. FYEO is rightfully seen as the most serius Moore outing, but in terms of violence and evil shown on screen, it actually comes short in comparison. Very few villains can match Zorin when it comes to sadism and grusomeness throughout the series. It was realizing this that has made me come to appreciate the film slightly more in recent years, although it still ranks well inside the bottom halfth of my list. There were some potential for 'Flemingesque' greatness in there...
    edited November 2014 Posts: 5,080
    jobo wrote: »
    AVTAK is often, quite superficially, described as a light, "standard" (if you like...) Moore film. And sure, there are some goofy bits in there too. But at its core, it might actually be one of the darkest entries in the series. FYEO is rightfully seen as the most serius Moore outing, but in terms of violence and evil shown on screen, it actually comes short in comparison. Very few villains can match Zorin when it comes to sadism and grusomeness throughout the series. It was realizing this that has made me come to appreciate the film slightly more in recent years, although it still ranks well inside the bottom halfth of my list. There were some potential for 'Flemingesque' greatness in there...

Very well said @jobo, and I certainly agree with this evaluation.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I know AVTAK gets a lot of abuse, but I find it a very easy film to watch. Very enjoyable and I think Zorin is a great Villain.
  • jobo wrote: »

Very well said @jobo, and I certainly agree with this evaluation.

Likewise.

• this is the first post ive ever done that i didnt offend anyone! yay for me right> :-bd
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Could be Diamonds Are Forever, in my honest opinion. Bond barely used a firearm in that film.
  • Could be Diamonds Are Forever, in my honest opinion. Bond barely used a firearm in that film.

You're right, he mostly just strangled them with their bikini tops, flung scalpels at them, snapped nasty mouse-traps on their hands, and set them on fire. ;)
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Could be Diamonds Are Forever, in my honest opinion. Bond barely used a firearm in that film.

You're right, he mostly just strangled them with their bikini tops, flung scalpels at them, snapped nasty mouse-traps on their hands, and set them on fire. ;)
    Yes, and I didn't say it's a non-violent film, but the least violent Bond film. There is no "non-violent" Bond film if that was the drift that's been caught from my comment. Sure, Bond never used his own firearm in Moonraker, but there were many alternatives for that like the ones you mentioned. The Man With The Golden Gun is another competitor alongside DAF, for being the least violent, while it had some ultra-violent moments such as two martial arts students stabbing each other with daggers, etc. I just hope you know where am I coming from.
  • Could be Diamonds Are Forever, in my honest opinion. Bond barely used a firearm in that film.

Yes, and I didn't say it's a non-violent film, but the least violent Bond film. There is no "non-violent" Bond film if that was the drift that's been caught from my comment. Sure, Bond never used his own firearm in Moonraker, but there were many alternatives for that like the ones you mentioned. The Man With The Golden Gun is another competitor alongside DAF, for being the least violent, while it had some ultra-violent moments such as two martial arts students stabbing each other with daggers, etc. I just hope you know where am I coming from.

I was only kidding with ya. I know where you're coming from. You're right, it's not an easy question to answer considering that violence is one of the cornerstones of the character of James Bond and the world he inhabits. DAF and TMWTGG appear to be two of the most frequent choices for least violent JB film, along with my own suggestion of GF for its tamer uses of violence.