Least violent Bond Film?

13»

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Could be Diamonds Are Forever, in my honest opinion. Bond barely used a firearm in that film.

You're right, he mostly just strangled them with their bikini tops, flung scalpels at them, snapped nasty mouse-traps on their hands, and set them on fire. ;)
    Yes, and I didn't say it's a non-violent film, but the least violent Bond film. There is no "non-violent" Bond film if that was the drift that's been caught from my comment. Sure, Bond never used his own firearm in Moonraker, but there were many alternatives for that like the ones you mentioned. The Man With The Golden Gun is another competitor alongside DAF, for being the least violent, while it had some ultra-violent moments such as two martial arts students stabbing each other with daggers, etc. I just hope you know where am I coming from.

I was only kidding with ya. I know where you're coming from. You're right, it's not an easy question to answer considering that violence is one of the cornerstones of the character of James Bond and the world he inhabits. DAF and TMWTGG appear to be two of the most frequent choices for least violent JB film, along with my own suggestion of GF for its tamer uses of violence.
    Agreed, Goldfinger could be qualified as one of the least violent Bond films, as well. At least the post-title sequence plot, where it all went slow paced. But then again, the murder of an entire teams of gangs, Tilly's neck broken with Oddjob's hat, Jill suffocating to death, it's a violent film, just one of the least ones in the entire series. I think Guy Hamilton really toned down the violence in his films.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    TMWTGG. Am I right?
    TMWTGG. Am I right?
    It's a challenge between DAF and TMWTGG, in my honest opinion.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Torched homos, scorpions down your neck, strangled and drowned old teachers, Bond nearly burned alive, Franks beaten to death and so on and so forth. Yeah. DAF should be a kids movie.
    Least violent and kids movie are not the same thing, mate.
  • You Only Live Twice, IMO. DAF had Bond strangling a girl with her bikini top and all those killings by Wint and Kidd, as well as the mud bath thing. Goldfinger had the electrocution in the bath which I would say put it higher on the violence scale than YOLT.
  • Torched homos, scorpions down your neck, strangled and drowned old teachers, Bond nearly burned alive, Franks beaten to death and so on and so forth. Yeah. DAF should be a kids movie.

Yep. The notion that DAF is relatively non-violent is, well, DAFt.

Yea I take back that DAF is the least violent film. Looking back now it's going to have to be Goldfinger
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    this is the first post ive ever done that i didnt offend anyone! yay for me right> :-bd

Don't think there is anything wrong with offending people from time to time, as long as you do it with class

:P
  • Anyone saying DAF is the least violent Bond movie is out of their mind. I'm not arguing for the quality of the film (which I also think is under appreciated around here).

In fact it's probably one of the more violenct Bond films. Top half at least.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited December 2014 Posts: 4,554
    Goldfinger is a candidate, for sure. So is TSWLM.

I'd have to go with Goldfinger, more than likely- other than the electrocution of the capungo in the PTS, there's not much else in terms of violence. Oddjob snaps Tilly's neck with his hat about halfway through, but beyond that, the majority of the deaths on screen are fairly basic (although, Kisch's death seemed pretty gruesome; however, the impact itself is not actually shown on screen).

Another contender could be Moonraker; other than the obviously horrifying death of Corrine Dufour in the forest, I can't think of anything that would be considered too violent, especially considering the fact that the finale consists of deaths caused by fictional laser guns that don't leave a graphic impact on camera.
  • I'm alittle surprised that more people haven't mentioned YOLT. I can't think of anything particularly violent in that movie. Even Bond being "killed" was a fake.

Goldfinger probably gets my vote. Pretty tame all around.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Yeah, 2 people getting "stripped to the bone" by piranha's wasn't at all violent ;)
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 1,778
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Yeah, 2 people getting "stripped to the bone" by piranha's wasn't at all violent ;)

By "violent" I thought we were judging the violence shown on screen. Like Krest's head exploding in LTK or Bond clearly shooting that guard in the head in OP. In YOLT all you see is two people screaming in a pool of water. But if by violence you mean what's implied than I guess you have a point about YOLT.
    I think we need to differentiate between "violent" and "graphic"
    I agree GF is probably "least violent" when compared to some of the other films.

In terms of most "graphic" it's LTK hands down.
  • I'm alittle surprised that more people haven't mentioned YOLT. I can't think of anything particularly violent in that movie. Even Bond being "killed" was a fake.

YOLT is a possibility. However, Bond's fight with the burly Japanese dude in the Osato building was fairly brutal.

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Although Bond only kills once in TMWTGG ?, so not so
    Violent. :) the two school girls kick more arse than Bond. :D
    I'm alittle surprised that more people haven't mentioned YOLT. I can't think of anything particularly violent in that movie. Even Bond being "killed" was a fake.

YOLT is a possibility. However, Bond's fight with the burly Japanese dude in the Osato building was fairly brutal.

And the death of his bride by poisoning. And the astronaut dying in space...
    DrGorner wrote: »
    Although Bond only kills once in TMWTGG ?, so not so
    Violent. :) the two school girls kick more arse than Bond. :D

:)
    im going to go with TMWTGG for least violent for reasons already mentioned.
    Funny though how some of the Broz films he mows a bunch of thugs down with machine guns yet he's not thought as such, while Craig fights one guy with a machete and that is just a brutal, brutal fight.
    the violence in brosnan era was not realistic lots of sparks and bad guys jumping around when they die and no blood.
    im going to go with TMWTGG for least violent for reasons already mentioned.

Frustatingly so, I may add. Those darn girls mess up everything.
    Funny though how some of the Broz films he mows a bunch of thugs down with machine guns yet he's not thought as such, while Craig fights one guy with a machete and that is just a brutal, brutal fight.

Quality over quantity.
  • When I think of violence I think of the most unique and sadistic violence in the Bond films.

As far as graphic violence it's pretty obviously LTK.
  • EinoRistoSiniahoEinoRistoSiniaho Oulu, Finland
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    TMWTGG definitely - funny I was just thinking about this myself. Bond watches violent actions throughout the film (as we the audience do too) but only actually kills one man - Scaramanga. No other Bond film has so low a death count.
    Yes, but it has that middle bit in martial arts school. Probably the most censored Bond in Finland, alongside with DAF on cinema/early home video. I first saw them uncut for the first time when they were shown on Finnish telly in the early 90's. First uncut home video releases came out when they were released on DVD.
    I guess I'd say DN. It has to be one of the early ones, they certainly have the least violence. Aside from Quarrel getting set on fire none of it is that intense. Thought of FRWL as well since it really feels more like a thriller than an action movie but the Red Grant scene is too intense for it to be the pick.