'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• What's interesting is that it would appear the Master has been pulling strings way back into Smiths Doctor, setting at the very least Clara's course of splitting and going into the Doctors timeline re: phone call in The bells of saint John, which is in fact from Clara's point of view her first meeting with the Doctor.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I'm not too sure why they didn't show a "Next Time" clip. Well, something at least, because last weeks episode did show scenes for the final episode ("what if Clara Oswald never existed" etc.).
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 6,432
    I'm not too sure why they didn't show a "Next Time" clip. Well, something at least, because last weeks episode did show scenes for the final episode ("what if Clara Oswald never existed" etc.).

Glad they did not show next week trailer, though I picked up on that too from last week. The Clara never existing, just perhaps
    Clara is just a tool in the Masters plan to escape through the crack in time when Galifray falls no more.
    Camera momentarily focuses on The bracelet Missy is wearing, with some eerie sound effect! Interesting, the Master I suspect is in need of something to fully exist in the universe. Just a hunch! Maybe it was the editing, though only the Doctor appeared to see the Cybermen in London at the end.

:-?
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Man, I LOVED this episode! :-bd Can't wait till the next one.

I don't have the Dr. Who background most (or all) of you do on this thread; this is my very first season with The Doctor. I'm really enjoying all of it - Doctor, Clara, and the great scripts and guest stars.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Glad to hear everyone enjoyed the latest ep. I'm looking forward to watching it in a few hours time! :!!
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I hope we see Seb in the next episode. Such a funny character. One of the best things about the episode.
    English viewers the channel called Drama on freeview is starting to run The Classic series from 4pm tonight. Starting with the full two hour serial The Aztecs from 1964. Its followed on the same channel by An Adventure in Space and Time.

Tomb of the Cybermen is on same time next Sunday.

Regarding Dark water, is the Matrix/Nethersphere the same Matrix from The Ultimate Foe? :-?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited November 2014 Posts: 13,894
    So not only is Classic Who on UK Drama, but The Horror Channel too. They're spoiling us. :D
    So not only is Classic Who on UK Drama, but The Horror Channel too. They're spoiling us. :D

Hoping they show some McCoy episodes, would appear they are showing the well known serials on Drama. Interesting fact
    The Cybermen leaving St Paul's Cathedral in Dark water is a direct reference to The Invasion a second Doctor story. The shot is almost identical.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I can't say that I have seen the McCoy stories on The Horror Channel (I don't go looking for them, as I have all 12), but they were showing The Three Doctors this morning.
    Talking of The Invasion (fantastic story by the way), the first episode was transmitted on this day 46 years ago.
    http://www.doctorwhoreviews.co.uk/VV.htm Spoiler

Scroll down to see picture I am referring too :)

Unfortunately don't have horror channel, be interesting to see how many shows Drama play.
    I read your spoiler, then edited my post.

One of my favourite stories of that Doctor, featuring that monster and one of my favourite Who stories, of both classic and modern times.
    I read your spoiler, then edited my post.

One of my favourite stories of that Doctor, featuring that monster and one of my favourite Who stories, of both classic and modern.
    Been some time since I watched that episode, chilling images though. Classic who at its best has a feel the new Who rarely matches.

Wow! certainly a homage, would think they intentionally referenced the episode for its anniversary knowing they were using that monster.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited November 2014 Posts: 12,459
    @fire_and_ice - Did you see the extra on this episode? It said that
    the St. Paul scene with the cybermen was a direct homage to that earlier episode.
    :)
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 112
    @fire_and_ice - Did you see the extra on this episode? It said that
    the St. Paul scene with the cybermen was a direct homage to that earlier episode.
    Yep, the 1968-69 Patrick Troughton serial "The Invasion"
    http://www.doctorwhoreviews.co.uk/VV_files/The Invasion 1.jpg
  • @fire_and_ice - Did you see the extra on this episode? It said that

Not watched any of the extra shows, keep forgetting they are on after. Ah so it was a direct homage, great scene from both episodes.

Well did not see that coming? My guess was wrong! And it gave me concerns about the future casting and more PC madness creeping into another show. The episode itself i thought was excellent. But the finale as i have said concerns me.
    Sean Pertwee looks so much like his father :

tumblr_nebxw6MCqf1qkyy30o1_500.png
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I think this series has justified the obvious gamble they took in reverting to an older Dr. New Who has been very much about sexing the Dr up, especially with DT. Young girls who fell for the wacky charms of DT and MS would be put off by the new direction, but I'm sure this has been the best route. Moffatt has realised the importance of changing for the greater good of the series and I'm now really excited about the next few years.

I do hope this 4th New Dr is like the original 4th Dr, and stays around for a few years.
    I think 3 or 4 years would be about right. That's enough time to define a new Doctor, and leave with the audience still wanting more.

As for that photo, I though that was Jon, until I looked closer.
    I think 3 or 4 years would be about right. That's enough time to define a new Doctor, and leave with the audience still wanting more.
    I agree with that, although as the last 3 left of their own accord we never saw a point where they out stayed their welcome. I do get the feeling that as PC is at the other end of his career (unlike his 3 predecessors) and landing his dream part, he will in all likelihood stay as long as he can.

Possibilities abound that when he goes it will be someone else's call.

Thinking back I believe only Colin Baker was pushed rather than jumping. McCoy went because the show went. Everyone else left because they wanted to. So, historically Capaldi is in a winning position if he wants to stay on.
    This is so wrong
    Michelle Gomez: Missy and the Doctor might go further than a kiss
    http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-11-03/michelle-gomez-missy-and-the-doctor-might-go-further-than-a-kiss
    Dalton12 wrote: »
    This is so wrong
    http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-11-03/michelle-gomez-missy-and-the-doctor-might-go-further-than-a-kiss

I hope not. It sounds like that weird slash fiction, that you can accidently stumble across if you aren't careful. There are a number of theories floating around suggesting that Missy might not be the Master. I have found it funny that viewers have claimed that it was so obvious that Missy was the Master, why? Missy - Mistress - Master. So am I the only one aware that the Rani was referred to as Mistress Rani?

And I can't shake the feeling that this is laying the groundwork (SEE: excuse) for a female Doctor.
    Dalton12 wrote: »
    This is so wrong

I hope not. It sounds like that weird slash fiction, that you can accidently stumble across if you aren't careful. There are a number of theories floating around suggesting that Missy might not be the Master. I have found it funny that viewers have claimed that it was so obvious that Missy was the Master, why? Missy - Mistress - Master. So am I the only one aware that the Rani was referred to as Mistress Rani?

And I can't shake the feeling that this is laying the groundwork (SEE: excuse) for a female Doctor.

Major? That is also my fear and suspicion! PC gone mad if it happens!
    They could cast Charlotte Rampling as the Doctor, and I still wouldn't like the idea. We still have one more episode, so maybe Moffat has a further twist in store.

I didn't know about these until recently:
    http://www.bigchiefstudios.co.uk/store/doctor-who
    Moffatt knows Who fans are against a possible female Doctor, and we also know he hates Who fans (the overbearing ones who never ever stop complaining), so this is just the sort of thing he would do to tease them.

The idea of a female Doctor always comes up, but only when an actor leaves - and we have no reason to think we have to endure that pain for at least 2-3 years.
    Heard the trailer on the radio whilst at work today. Really looking forward to seeing this at the weekend!
  • I thought it was fantastic. Probably the best episode of the series so far, can't wait for the next bit.

I don't mind The Master being a girl and I don't see why having a female doctor would be that big a deal tbh. It's not like there's any source material it's going against and if The Doctor can be old, young, Glaswegian, Mancunian, moody, wacky, ruthless, soppy, alien, down to earth, etc, then why can't he be a woman? It's not like Bond where it's the same guy and there's source material, certain characteristics they have to stick to. He can literally change into anything, they've said as much in the past. That said I think Capaldi is going to be around for a while so there's no chance of it happening for at least a couple of years yet.

It's taken a while but I'm warming up to Capaldi's doctor now. I think it's because I've gotten used to him and he doesn't seem unlikeable now like he was earlier in the series, they've toned it down a bit. Not as good as Christopher Eccleston but I could see him surprassing David Tennant and Matt Smith eventually.
  • I thought it was fantastic. Probably the best episode of the series so far, can't wait for the next bit.

I don't mind The Master being a girl and I don't see why having a female doctor would be that big a deal tbh. It's not like there's any source material it's going against and if The Doctor can be old, young, Glaswegian, Mancunian, moody, wacky, ruthless, soppy, alien, down to earth, etc, then why can't he be a woman? It's not like Bond where it's the same guy and there's source material, certain characteristics they have to stick to. He can literally change into anything, they've said as much in the past. That said I think Capaldi is going to be around for a while so there's no chance of it happening for at least a couple of years yet.

It's taken a while but I'm warming up to Capaldi's doctor now. I think it's because I've gotten used to him and he doesn't seem unlikeable now like he was earlier in the series, they've toned it down a bit. Not as good as Christopher Eccleston but I could see him surprassing David Tennant and Matt Smith eventually.

Totally agree, the master or the doctor is just that! irrespective of age race or gender. Michelle Gomez is very good and did not enter my mind the gender issue, just thought great the master is back. Capaldi taken me a while to get used to him also, think he is very good indeed.
    Death In Heaven trailer: