'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• The only Pertwee episode I have watched recently was The Three Doctors, will be interesting to watch Spearhead From Space later today on drama channel.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    The horror channel showed "The green death" a few months back, I loved it. I remember it from it;s first showing and it really scared me as a kid, Giant Maggots ! :)
  • Pertwee probably the Doctor I have watched the least, when young mainly watched Tom Baker reruns. Watched all of Davidson when first aired, though really can't remember many of the episodes. Though watched The Caves of Androzani recently which was good, more familiar with Colin Baker. First time round I just did not get into McCoys tenure, though plan to watch them at some point. Rememberence of the Daleks I enjoyed.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited November 2014 Posts: 13,894
    Pertwee probably the Doctor I have watched the least, when young mainly watched Tom Baker reruns. Watched all of Davidson when first aired, though really can't remember many of the episodes. Though watched The Caves of Androzani recently which was good, more familiar with Colin Baker. First time round I just did not get into McCoys tenure, though plan to watch them at some point. Rememberence of the Daleks I enjoyed.

Those first 4 stories will test your will (this comes from a Seventh Doctor fan), but the stories improve once you get to Remembrance Of The Daleks (except for The Happiness Patrol, which is closer to the series 24 stories).
    Pertwee was the first Doctor I saw (back when BBC Prime started to air the series in chronological orde in the Nineties. Thus, he is "my" Doctor. And Capaldi reminds me very much of him (with a bit of Hartnell thrown in, which is good, because I love Hartnell).
    From watching many old shows, I've come to like Colin Baker a lot more.
    Sadly I can't quite warm to Sylvester McCoy as much as the others.
  • Pertwee probably the Doctor I have watched the least, when young mainly watched Tom Baker reruns. Watched all of Davidson when first aired, though really can't remember many of the episodes. Though watched The Caves of Androzani recently which was good, more familiar with Colin Baker. First time round I just did not get into McCoys tenure, though plan to watch them at some point. Rememberence of the Daleks I enjoyed.

Those first 4 stories will test your will (this comes from a Seventh Doctor fan), but the stories improve once you get to Remembrance Of The Daleks (except for The Happiness Patrol, which is closer to the series 24 stories).
    Remember you saying before, after the The Christmas expense :-S will definitely buy McCoys series in January. I am ashamed to say, after much thought I realised I have never seen Curse of Fenric #-o
    Gerard wrote: »
    To whet your appetite until Christmas :

Don't forget to donate to Children in Need if you live in Great Britain.

Missed this Friday night, certainly looks a little confrontational but with good humour to boot! Roll on the next few weeks! <:-P
    "Happy Easter !" :))
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 5,815
    Seen "Death in Heaven". Now I have the confirmation that Mary Poppins is a Time Lady.

This said, I enjoyed the episode. I enjoyed Twelve channeling James Bond (MR and GE, to be precise). I enjoyed all the references to the classic series (so Dodo is an undertaker, now ?). I enjoyed the scenes between Twelve and Missy, Clara and Danny. I didn't like to see a character I enjoyed dying (but we could see her, under one form or the other, back in the future).

The only thing I didn't understand was the role of the bracelet in the end. Frankly, I don't know how this can even be possible. But all around, a very good finale to a very good series.

So, how did the series fare from my point of view. Well, a lot more good that bad. We did get quite a few episodes that were on the level of "Blink", but thankfully none on the level of "Love and Monsters" (yuck !). Let's review:

"Deep Breath" : a classic regeneration episode

"Into the Dalek" : Not really good. A retread of "fantastic Voyage" with a bit of "Dalek" mixed in, and no Raquel Welch :-(

"Robot of Sherwood" : A nice popcorn episode. Too bad real-world events conspired to take away a reveal that would have changed everything. Damn ISIS.

"Listen" : Capaldi at his finest. One of the best episodes this season.

"Time Heist" : Nice tribute to "Mission: Impossible" (the series, not the movies).

"The Caretaker" : And the Doctor proves once again that he's not really fit for mundane life. Nice episode, but we've seen that before.

"Kill the Moon" : I didn't like this episode. Nice set-up (although I had already seen the "planet as an egg" plot in the mini-series "Earth X"), but bad execution.

"Mummy on the Orient Express" : A great episode, with a classic creepy monster.

"Flatline" : Probably the best episode this season : a creepy menace, Clara taking charge, and one absolute ROTFLMAO moment. Out of ten: Twelve.

"In the Forest of the Night" : Not my favourite episode, but far from being the worst. I liked it, but I didn't love it. Too much fantasy, not enough sci-fi for my taste.

"Dark Water/Death in Heaven" : all in all, a great finale to this season.

So it seems that Capaldi's opening series is, by and large, a winner, and that he'll be back for more. And so will I.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 6,432
    Really enjoyed Spearhead from Space, great first story for Pertwee and the Autons. Brought back memories of his tenure.

One question unrelated well a bit related
    So where is the Cyberman Brigider now? In a cafe having a coffee? Or getting a oil change. I suppose Cyberbrig could join the Avengers
    ;))
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited November 2014 Posts: 12,459
    I've been watching all the episodes again. Just love them!

Here they are in my order of favorites, which was not easy to put together:

1. Listen
    2. Death in Heaven/Dark Waters
    3. Mummy on the Orient Express
    3. Robot of Sherwood
    3. Time Heist
    4. In the Forest of the Night
    5. Flatline
    6. The Caretaker
    7. Into the Dalek
    8. Kill the Moon (only loved the ending)
    9. Deep Breath (nothing special)

And
    Now I am hopeful they will bring Danny back. It is within the possibilities of this Dr. Who world and it would bring the Clara/Danny timeline from Listen to fruition; I would really like that. He is not very exciting, as some have mentioned, but Clara does love him.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 267
    I just re-watched Deep Breath and
    when the "Half Faced Man" awakes in the Promised Land, Missy says "...my boyfriend" and he replys "Boy" [pause] "Friend", could the Master/ Missy have literally meant boy friend Or am I just being ridiculous and the Master was just crazy?
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited November 2014 Posts: 5,080
    And what actually happened to the likes of the Half Faced Man who were sent to the Nethersphere? Turned into cybermen? Bit underwhelming (I thought it might have been something like The Pandorica Opens), or did they just forget about them halfway through writing the script?/spoiler]
    And what actually happened to the likes of the Half Faced Man who were sent to the Nethersphere? Turned into cybermen? Bit underwhelming (I thought it might have been something like The Pandorica Opens), or did they just forget about them halfway through writing the script?/spoiler]

Those plot points were only there to serve the purpose of trailing/teasing the series nemesis. Scenes crow-bar'ed into otherwise self contained episodes to provide an arc of sorts. Could've fleshed them out in the finale I guess, but it was pretty dense as it was so I'm glad for a few fewer call-backs in this case.
    Anon wrote: »

Those plot points were only there to serve the purpose of trailing/teasing the series nemesis. Scenes crow-bar'ed into otherwise self contained episodes to provide an arc of sorts. Could've fleshed them out in the finale I guess, but it was pretty dense as it was so I'm glad for a few fewer call-backs in this case.

Which is a shame, because they could easily have had them in the dark water tombs in the mausoleum, just to provide a link to previous episodes.
    live in hope - these sorts of seemingly loose ends could be woven back into future episodes. Good way to add a bit of 'canonicity' to an otherwise generic story.
  • Only just realised why the Doctor calls Danny PE [-(
    Only just realised why the Doctor calls Danny PE [-(

please do enlighten me as well, if you wouldn't mind

edited November 2014 Posts: 12,459
    Physical Education teacher.
    I grew up in the U.S. in Florida and we said "Phys. Ed." but other areas of the country, or even in that state, just say the initials: "P.E." ... many are coaches but this refers to the specific teaching role in schools.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Only just realised why the Doctor calls Danny PE [-(

please do enlighten me as well, if you wouldn't mind

PE stands for Public Enemy. Just a theory, though consistent with the Doctors dislike of soldiers in Series 8. Occurred to me whilst listening to a Public Enemy Track, in the track the obreviation PE is used several times... Referring to Public Enemy.

:-bd
    You don't really mean that, do you? P.E. would definitely stand for physical education - which would also be a way of mocking or teasing Danny re him being a teacher at Clara's school.
    You don't really mean that, do you? P.E. would definitely stand for physical education - which would also be a way of mocking or teasing Danny re him being a teacher at Clara's school.

I like the @fire_and_ice theory better it fits more with the Doctors view of soldiers, and in such a way that PE might also mean the teacher version while the Doctor in fact refers to the soldier side of Danny that he dislikes also for the fact that he is Clara's lover and the Doctor is convinced she can do better.
    PE means physical education. Particularly in the UK, being a PE teacher is sometimes seen as being inferior to teachers of maths, or Science, for example. This would make sense as being an insult to Danny.
    Oh it means the exact same thing in the U.S., MayDay. It would be a bit of an insult; was not sure about the UK. So that makes sense, like I thought.
    Oh I know PE means physical education, just felt it may have meant something more beyond the obvious explanation. Just a theory! :) The Doctor can often be quite abstract with his ramblings and things he says directly. Capaldis Doctor certainly has a mean streak, insults come easy to this Doctor in series 8. I must add its not my opinion of soldiers, just theorising it could have been the Doctors veiled meaning when he calls Danny PE.
    Any Futurama fans ?

10155806_787526377979629_6990130401342134435_n.jpg?oh=2b37e9c232e51a119d2494667b688ca3&oe=54D25B4A&__gda__=1423503090_006e9487b68ac62bdbeb999841872a25
    Date and time confirmed for the Christmas episode : "Last Christmas" will air on december 25th at 6.15 PM (GMT)

doctorwhotv.co.uk/last-christmas-bbc-one-time-confirmed-69344.htm
    :)) Apart from the good Dr, there's not much on bbc1 Christmas evening
    That I'd be watching.