'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    2:15 a.m. for me ... but I will watch it as soon as I wake up. Thanks for giving us the air time. :) Very eager to see this one - it looks like grand fun!
    Mad family time so I will record it!
    Good time for me, looking forward to it. Have enjoyed Capaldi so far
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    The best person for the job will always be cast. If it's a woman then it's a woman. The serious implications of casting a woman are that many long standing viewers may just jump ship without giving it a chance.
    Harsh I know, but Moffatt has to take such things into consideration. Fans are fickle.

A black actor is different. No problems - imagine someone like Adrian Lester in the role - he would be excellent. We accept the Dr getting older then younger. We accept him talking with different accents, we can accept him changing colour. But changing sex? That's a tricky one.
  • Watched Day of the Doctor and Battlefield over the weekend, one was excellent one was extremely poor.

Regarding a female Doctor its going to happen for sure, they have already laid the ground work. Me personally would not be against the Doctor being female, man or woman its down to the quality of the actor or actress.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited December 2014 Posts: 13,894
    Watched Day of the Doctor and Battlefield over the weekend, one was excellent one was extremely poor.

Battlefield is a great slice of the McCoy era, it's the 7th Doctor's U.N.I.T. story. But The Curse Of Fenric is still my favourite.

Call it what you want, but realIy dislike this idea. Gallifreyans come in two sexes, they don't change sex. The Doctor was specifically referred to as Susan's Grandfather, not just grandparent. This will be nothing more than for Moff to shout how PC the show is. I would rather Moff concentrate his efforts on the writing of the show, rather than gimmicky casting.

I have no doubt that this IS the way the show is going, especially after The Master.
    As a new fan of this series, I cannot put it all in context of older fans. For me, it does not matter if the Doctor is a man or a woman. I really enjoyed this entire recent series.
    Dalton12 wrote: »

Oh dear! What next? Driving Mr Daisy?!!!!! [-X
  • Watched Day of the Doctor and Battlefield over the weekend, one was excellent one was extremely poor.

Battlefield is a great slice of the McCoy era, it's the 7th Doctor's U.N.I.T. story. But The Curse Of Fenric is still my favourite.

Call it what you want, but realIy dislike this idea. Gallifreyans come in two sexes, they don't change sex. The Doctor was specifically referred to as Susan's Grandfather, not just grandparent. This will be nothing more than for Moff to shout how PC the show is. I would rather Moff concentrate his efforts on the writing of the show, rather than gimmicky casting.

I have no doubt that this IS the way the show is going, especially after The Master.
    Really struggled with battlefield, was great to see Lethbridge Stewart again though could not help think he is a Cyberman now. Think it suffers because of the production values, been such a long time since I watched Battlefield was shocked how cheap it looked.

Last Christmas episode was a blast!
    I loved it. :)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Really struggled with battlefield, was great to see Lethbridge Stewart again though could not help think he is a Cyberman now. Think it suffers because of the production values, been such a long time since I watched Battlefield was shocked how cheap it looked.

The show did have possibly it's lowest production values at that point, but I fell the writing compensated. And not just the writing, but the performances of the two regulars.

As for Last Christmas, it was ok. The resemblance between Michael Troughton and his father was uncanny at times. The dream, within a dream, within a dream, possibly within a dream, was getting a bit too clever for it's own good. But now we know the name of the opening story for series 9, The Magician's Apprentice.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 5,815
    "One day, a wise man dreamed he was a butterfly...". I think you know the rest. That was what "Last Christmas" reminded me of. That, and "Sandman", of course. Of course, there were also "Alien" (loved the Doctor's reaction) and "The Thing", but those were lampshaded later on. And of course, Nick Frost as Santa. Not to mention a few great scenes : the last appearance of Danny Pink, the Doctor and old Clara. One thing I didn't like : "Who you gonna call ?" All right, we know since "Army of Ghosts" that the Doctor is a fan of "Ghostbusters", but the same exact phrase repeated three times ? Overkill, and tedious. All in all, a good episode, although, as far as Christmas episodes go, I prefer "A Christmas Carol" and "The Next Doctor".

One last thing : all morning, I have had a slight pain on the side of my head. You don't think ...?
    4637-Doctor-Who-Starlight-Robbery-CD.jpg

Starlight Robbery was one of a number of 7th Doctor audios I had for christmas. I have just finished it, and I mustard mit that I love this line-up for the 7th Doctor. We've got the 7th Doctor & Klein, who now have had a winding journey together, and Will who, like a puppy, is eager to please both the Doctor and Klein.
    I know that in 2015 we will have one audio with the 7th Doctor & Jo, and three with the 7th Doctor & Mel. But I hope we will return to this TARDIS team at some point. Some 7th Doctor & Raine stories wouldn't go amiss, either.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Currently going through a Doctothon of the revived series, as I haven't visited series 1-3 for ages.

I've just finished with EVOLUTION OF THE DALEKS, so here is my ultimate ranking so far-

DOOMSDAY
    THE IMPOSSIBLE PLANET
    RISE OF THE CYBERMEN
    THE SATAN PIT
    BAD WOLF
    THE EMPTY CHILD
    ARMY OF GHOSTS
    THE GIRL IN THE FIREPLACE
    THE DOCTOR DANCES
    SCHOOL REUNION
    THE AGE OF STEEL
    THE PARTING OF THE WAYS
    TOOTH AND CLAW
    NEW EARTH
    ROSE
    ALIENS OF LONDON
    THE RUNAWAY BRIDE
    EVOLUTION OF THE DALEKS
    DALEKS IN MANHATTAN
    THE SHAKESPEARE CODE
    GRIDLOCK
    THE IDIOT'S LANTURN
    THE CHRISTMAS INVASION
    SMITH AND JONES
    FATHER'S DAY
    DALEK
    THE END OF THE WORLD
    BOOM TOWN
    THE LONG GAME
    THE UNQUIET DEAD
    WORLD WAR THREE
    LOVE & MONSTERS
    FEAR HER

I'll try and post my thoughts (perhaps a sentence or two) for each episode when I have finished.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Anybody here like LEGO? They just announced an official LEGO Dr. Who set, from their Ideas program.
    Ideas is a program that allows anyone to submit a set to the site, and any set that gets 10,000 votes from the community is reviewed by LEGO, who then decides whether or not to release it as an official set.

https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/blog

Scroll down a bit on the link to see the original Dr. Who set design.
    edited February 2015 Posts: 5,080
    My opinion of Matt Smith era is changing for the good. I've just finished "COLD BLOOD", and thus far, I can say I have enjoyed every episode so far, even if some parts of "VICTORY OF THE DALEKS" are hard to stomach.

NuWho ultimate ranking:

1. MIDNIGHT
    2. DOOMSDAY
    3. BLINK
    4. THE IMPOSSIBLE PLANET
    5. THE WATERS OF MARS
    6. THE END OF TIME: PART 2
    7. JOURNEY'S END
    8. THE UNICORN AND THE WASP
    9. THE STOLEN EARTH
    10. RISE OF THE CYBERMEN
    11. THE SATAN PIT
    12. BAD WOLF
    13. THE EMPTY CHILD
    14. HUMAN NATURE
    15. TURN LEFT
    16. FOREST OF THE DEAD
    17. SILENCE IN THE LIBRARY
    18. ARMY OF GHOSTS
    19. THE GIRL IN THE FIREPLACE
    20. THE DOCTOR DANCES
    21. SCHOOL REUNION
    22. THE POISON SKY
    23. THE SONTARAN STRATAGEM
    24. VOYAGE OF THE DAMNED
    25. THE AGE OF STEEL
    26. THE FAMILY OF BLOOD
    27. PLANET OF THE OOD
    28. THE PARTING OF THE WAYS
    29. THE SOUND OF DRUMS
    30. THE HUNGRY EARTH
    31. TOOTH AND CLAW
    32. NEW EARTH
    33. ROSE
    34. ALIENS OF LONDON
    35. PARTNERS IN CRIME
    36. FLESH AND STONE
    37. THE TIME OF ANGELS
    38. AMY'S CHOICE
    39. LAST OF THE TIME LORDS
    40. UTOPIA
    41. THE RUNAWAY BRIDE
    42. THE END OF TIME: PART 1
    43. 42 (so close to position 42!!)
    44. EVOLUTION OF THE DALEKS
    45. DALEKS IN MANHATTAN
    46. THE SHAKESPEARE CODE
    47. WORLD WAR THREE
    48. COLD BLOOD
    49. GRIDLOCK
    50. THE IDIOT'S LANTERN
    51. THE CHRISTMAS INVASION
    52. PLANET OF THE DEAD
    53. THE DOCTOR'S DAUGHTER
    54. THE FIRES OF POMPEII
    55. SMITH AND JONES
    56. THE LAZARUS EXPERIMENT
    57. FATHER'S DAY
    58. DALEK
    59. THE END OF THE WORLD
    60. THE ELEVENTH HOUR
    61. BOOM TOWN
    62. THE VAMPIRES OF VENICE
    63. THE BEAST BELOW
    64. THE LONG GAME
    65. THE UNQUIET DEAD
    66. LOVE & MONSTERS
    67. FEAR HER
    68. THE NEXT DOCTOR
    69. VICTORY OF THE DALEKS
    It isn't easy to be a French Whovian, you know. Recently, we got another major disappointment. Bear with me a moment, this is going to be a long post.

Everybody knows that the classic series never aired in France (apart from a few Tom Baker episodes, which aired on Sunday at 6 am way back at the end of the Eighties). Too bad, that could have helped with the problem of the missing episodes. But science-fiction (especially foreign science-fiction) wasn't too big on the minds of the TV programmers of the times.

Now, the new series airs on France 4 since 2006. And even if the channel has done its best to promote it and help it (after all, they aired "The Day of the Doctor" at the same time as in the UK), there have been the occasional mess, such as the first French edition of the DVDs. The first series set contained only the episodes, without any bonus, except for the choice of languages. The second season was also bonus-less, and didn't have "The Christmas Invasion", even though there was a Sycorax featured on one of the discs. And the third season, still missing the bonuses (boni ?) and the Christmas episode, was also missing an English soundtrack. Thankfully, this has been resolved for the second edition, although there's still no bonuses in the sets, and they still couldn't get the rights to include "The Christmas Invasion" on the second season set.

But that's not the worst. The eighth season has had two problems for its French airing. For starters, it was supposed to air in February, but due to various sporting events, it was postponed to March. Meanwhile, while we waited, the DVD set was released in the stores. Which, for those who didn't get it in the UK, was a blessing in disguise, because...

Well, because the season started airing yesterday, beginning with the... second episode, "Into the Dalek". Why, I hear you ask ? Well, because of French regulations. See, as "Deep Breath" was released in theaters in Great Britain, at the same time it aired on the BBC, and as it's longer than an hour, in France, it's considered as a movie, and thus subject to different regulations regarding the delay before its release and its airing. France 4 has put it for streaming on their website (French track only, I'm afraid), but still, that sucks. It only goes to show that the French authorities are dreadfully behind the times as far as media are concerned, and that the regulations must be changed. And soon.
    Sounds like the French have been really screwed over when it comes to Who.
    Still no date set for the release of "The Underwater Menace" on DVD. Thanks to Doctor Who Magazine, I have come across this petition :

https://change.org/p/bbc-worldwide-please-release-doctor-who-the-underwater-menace-on-dvd

And learned that one of the signatories was Anneke Wills herself. I have already done my bit, and ask you to do the same. With luck, maybe it will speed things along. Maybe...
    Gerard wrote: »
    Still no date set for the release of "The Underwater Menace" on DVD. Thanks to Doctor Who Magazine, I have come across this petition :

https://change.org/p/bbc-worldwide-please-release-doctor-who-the-underwater-menace-on-dvd

And learned that one of the signatories was Anneke Wills herself. I have already done my bit, and ask you to do the same. With luck, maybe it will speed things along. Maybe...

did so of course.

Currently going through a mammoth Doctothon. I'm watching every Classic Doctor Who episode from An Unearthly Child to Survival + The Movie. I'm not sure how long this is going to take me, but aiming to watch one story a day depending on the length (e.g I split "The Daleks" between two days).
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 112
    I've also been doing a "Doctothon", ever since Christmas 2013. I'm currently on "The Claws of Axos" after a four month break. I also decided to watch the Loose Cannon Recons of the missing episodes, it's sad that some of Hartnell and Troughton's best stories are gone, "The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve", "Power of the Daleks", etc. Hartnell is definitely my favorite Doctor so far.
    Just signed it myself. Troughton is my second favourite Doctor (after McCoy), so I would love to have as much of his era on DVD. If this is the last classic Who release, I would be saddened at that, but glad at the same time that this story, which has been in limbo, would be released.
  • Does someone here own the City of Death DVD ? Can you tell me if Paris in the Springtime bonus features some images from Paris at that time (even only a few dozens of seconds) ?
    Does someone here own the City of Death DVD ? Can you tell me if Paris in the Springtime bonus features some images from Paris at that time (even only a few dozens of seconds) ?

I've relayed your question on a french forum I frequent. Will give you the answer as soon as I get it.

About the missing episodes on DVD, it might not be the end. Some might turn up in the future (fingers crossed, touch wood, throw salt over the shoulder and all that sort of things). And there's still the possibility of animating them. However, there are two problems with that approach :

1) The number of missing episodes in a particular story must be limited (one or two, maybe three max), because animation isn't cheap, even if it's as lipmited as what I've seen so far ("Reign of Terror", "The Tenth Planet", "The Moonbase"). Which means that stories with a bigger number are out.

2) There must be enough visual references for the animators to work upon. Which means that most of the third year is also out (John Cura didn't telesnap them because the producers at the time had no interest in them, one of the many bad decisions they took during that year). So, we won't see "The Dalek's Masterplan anytime soon.

In fact, the only story that fits the bill would be "The Crusades", but due to the fact that it's a historical, there's not much interest in it (unfairly, as with all the other historicals). So, unless more episodes are found somewhere (possible, but unlikely), I guess "The Underwater Menace" will be "the final end" for the release of classic Doctor Who DVD releases. Sad but true.
    edited April 2015 Posts: 13,894
    There is another solution, The Web Of Fear was released with 5 episodes in their original live action format, with one episode made up of stills set to the original soundtrack. That might not be enough for some fans, but how much do we all want the first and second Doctors eras complete on DVD? I would be ok with that. And if more missing episodes turn up, previous releases could be released as Special Editions.
    Except that stills don't exist for most of Hartnell's third season, as I said above. Which kinda puts a damper on the whole thing.
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 112
    Well they can always Photoshop the telesnaps and production stills, like what the Loose Cannon recons occasionally do like their recons of Marco Polo, DMP, and The Massacre. Then again the BBC probably wouldn't bother doing that...
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 5,815
    Good news : the soundtrack for season 8 and "Last Christmas" will be released on May 18th. Three CDs, to for the season and one for the Christmas episode. More info here :

doctorwhotv.co.uk/series-8-soundtrack-details-date-73030.htm

And from the webcomics "Scandinavia and the World" ( satwcomic.com/ ), here's a very nice cartoon :

satwcomic.com/im-a-doctor