'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I'm loving Capaldi as the Doctor, really look forward to each new episode.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Next weeks episode looks AWESOME (even if I'm still not sure if I like the Cyberman design!)!
    I also liked " The Reveal" at the end, not who I thought it was going to be.
    Death In Heaven trailer:

Cool! This should be a cracker to finish the series! Also i wonder if it will lead us into an idea of what the Christmas may be about?
    I read the BBC are getting some complaints from some views about The episode being too scary. I think they might have forgotten Dr Who is supposed to be scary.
    DrGorner wrote: »
    I read the BBC are getting some complaints from some views about The episode being too scary. I think they might have forgotten Dr Who is supposed to be scary.

Absolutely it should be! That is what it has always been regarded about. Not necessarily every episode but definetly in a few. The best new recent villains for me are the Weeping Angels! Really hoping to see them return at somepoint?
    In this series I thought the Two Dimensional creatures, were very creepy, a really scary episode. As you pointed out of set with a few more comedy filled adventures. On a side note P Capaldi's timing and one liners have been brilliant.
    /\ fully agree. Capaldi was a masterstroke of an appointment. The humour from him is pure gold. I think over a time ( No pun intended! ;)) ) i think he could become perhaps the best imho. Big call i know but i think he has made such an impact!
    I'm old enough to have always thought of Tom Baker as my Dr,but I've been blown away by Capaldi and . He is my favourite Doctor.
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    /\ fully agree. Capaldi was a masterstroke of an appointment. The humour from him is pure gold. I think over a time ( No pun intended! ;)) ) i think he could become perhaps the best imho. Big call i know but i think he has made such an impact!

Agree Capaldi is brilliant !

giphy.gif
    I even think both he and Clara have a great rapport, the age difference is not a problem and in my opinion only adds to the humour. I laughed out loud when he asked one 15year old schoolgirl " how old are you 35. 40 ? " :))
    When i first saw him in his chosen attire? He reminded me of Peter Cushing's take on the role.
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    When i first saw him in his chosen attire? He reminded me of Peter Cushing's take on the role.

You not the only one :)
    Yes, he has a mix of previous Doctors attire, I think, love the little splash of colour in the lining of the jacket.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    DrGorner wrote: »
    In this series I thought the Two Dimensional creatures, were very creepy, a really scary episode. As you pointed out of set with a few more comedy filled adventures. On a side note P Capaldi's timing and one liners have been brilliant.

Flatline is my favourite story of this series. It was another story that demonstrated how Doctor Who could be creepy for viewers of all ages. I wouldn't mind if Jamie Mathieson succeeded Moffat as producer, or at least write some episodes for series 9.
  • If the rumours about Jenna Coleman leaving in the Christmas special are true, I'd love to see her meet the new companion before she left.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I just want her to stay. I really do.
    I'd love her to stay too. I think they have a really great rapport going.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    That was a rather good episode. We even got some details about the Doctor's life. I'm not sure where they're going to take the story from the point where it left regarding the Doctor and Clara, that's tricky.
    I think they are getting back together once they find out they've been lying to each other.
    Also, do you think Missy
    is really dead? I find it hard to believe. That was too easy.
    On a side note the Christmas special looks like great fun.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I am unable to view this as of just 2 days ago. Cannot access the site at all. Rats! I'll keep working on it and avoid this thread as I desperately want to see the final episode. I've seen all in this series until now. :((
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited November 2014 Posts: 13,904
    Series 8 has ended as it started, on a duff note.

I have tweaked my ranking, and have knocked Dark Water down a few spots. Dark Water/Death In Heaven just didn't sit well with me on reflection. Michelle Gomez is fantastic, I remember her from Green Wing, where she played the wonderfully psychotic Sue White. If Missy had been revealed to be the Rani, I would have been ok with that. It's the Master having now changed sex, which is what I don't like.

1. Flatline
    2. Kill The Moon
    3. Mummy On The Orient Express
    4. Listen
    5. Into The Dalek
    6. The Caretaker
    7. Time Heist
    8. In The Forest Of The Night
    9. Robot Of Sherwood
    10. Dark Water
    ***11. Death In Heaven***
    12. Deep Breath

Though I agree on the Christmas special. Who are you gonna call...?
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 12,837
    @Sandy Nah I don't think so.
    And even if she is, she (or maybe he again, who knows) will come back at some point in the future. I sort of wish they'd stop killing The Master off at the end of every appearance because we know that she's not actually going to stay dead for long. Next time she's in it, just let her get away at the end because she's going to be back again at some point and killing (and then resurecting) her over and over is starting to get a bit ridiculous now.

I thought that was great. Best episode of the season. I've never liked the cybermen but I think they were actually used well here and Michelle Gomez was great. Thought she was even better than John Simm. I'm really starting to like Peter Capaldi now as well.

Hopefully the people complaining about The Master being a woman will stop now because it's made no difference at all, she actually seems more evil than before. That whole bit where she was captured was the best part of the episode. "I'm gonna kill you in a minute".
    edited November 2014 Posts: 13,904
    Hopefully the people complaining about The Master being a woman will stop now because it's made no difference at all, she actually seems more evil than before. That whole bit where she was captured was the best part of the episode. "I'm gonna kill you in a minute".

Don't count on it. Gomez was good, true, but that makes it worse. Why change the sex of The Master, when there was a ready made female Timelord (or Timelady) ready to be dusted of and brought back?
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 12,837
    Also, in the Christmas trailer at the end. Was that an Alien, from the film series? Are they doing a crossover, have they got the rights to do thst, or is it wishful thinking? Actually I'm being dumb, they've probably just made a similar monster/ripped it off.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Also, in the Christmas trailer at the end. Was that an Alien, from the film series? Are they doing a crossover, have they got the rights to do thst, or is it wishful thinking? Actually I'm being dumb, they've probably just made a similar monster/ripped it off.

I thought the same when I saw it @thelivingroyale.
  • Working so will have to wait till tomorrow X_X
  • I know it is probably just a similar design but that would be so cool if it was the Alien from the movies. Which reminds me, I should really get around to completing Alien Isolation...

Don't count on it. Gomez was good, true, but that makes it worse. Why change the sex of The Master, when there was a ready made female Timelord (or Timelady) ready to be dusted of and brought back?

The story was written for The Master. The whole point was that she wanted the friend she had when she was a kid back. Swapping her out for some other female time lord wouldn't work. You say why change the sex of The Master, but why not? Timelords can change into anything, they've established that, so what's the problem? You said yourself that Michelle Gomez did a good job.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Great fun. Gomez as Missy is just PERFECT. Love her.
    I just didn't like the Cybermen. Very similar to Iron Man in design, and I hate their voices.
    Overall, a good season, my favourite since series 4.

1. Dark Water
    2. ---Death in Heaven---
    3. Flatline
    4. Mummy on the Orient Express
    5. Kill the Moon
    6. The Caretaker
    7. Robot of Sherwood
    8. Into the Dalek
    9. Time Heist
    10. In the Forest of the Night
    11. Listen
    12. Deep Breath
    Sadly I was out tonight but will watch it tomorrow morning. :)
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 6,432
    Oh dear did not like Death in heaven, found it cringe worthy at times. Total mess of a episode, slightly concerned for the future of the show after that debacle.

Cybermans threat level
    DELETE!