'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited October 2014 Posts: 13,894
    Following last weeks trailer, I thought that Mummy On The Orient Express could have gone either way. As it turns out, it was a very enjoyable episode.

It's was quite a surprise to see Janet Henfrey (Mrs Pitt). Henfrey, of course, has previous Who experience, having appeared in my favourite story (and of my favourite Doctor), The Curse Of Fenric.

1. Kill The Moon
    ***2. Mummy On The Orient Express**
    3. Listen
    4. Into The Dalek
    5. The Caretaker
    6. Time Heist
    7. Robot Of Sherwood
    8. Deep Breath
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    The last few episodes have been gaining momentum, and Mummy on the Orient Express is now my favourite this series!

1. Mummy on the Orient Express
    2. Kill the Moon
    3. The Caretaker
    4. Robot of Sherwood
    5. Into the Dalek
    6. Time Heist
    7. Listen
    8. Deep Breath
    Foxes "Don't Stop Me Now" (well, it's Queen's, originally, but I love that swinging version), with a few spoilers about the rest of the series :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=h-OTYT02W7E

As for Gus's identity, I think Perkins is a bit too good to e true. Don't you ?
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    That's a great video (and a great version of the song). Thanks for posting it @Gerard! On a side note, I really loved the First Doctor-ish outfit we got this time. I hope he gets to wear that bow-tie again.
    You know, a thought occurred to me just now : we may have found the singer for Bond 24. At least, I'll vote for her.
    Loved the latest episode! Perkins does seem a little suspicious to me too! Thought Frank Skinner played the part well. On a humerous note, the whole Mystery Shopper exchange had me in stiches! Brilliant writing their! :))
    And we finally got a good monster!
    /\ yeah it certanly was! Lets hope for more!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I believe that the jelly baby line was referenced again too!
    Dragonpol wrote: »

he carried them around in a cigarette case. :D
    SaintMark wrote: »

Nice touch! :D

It reminded me of Sean Connery's first scene as James Bond.

AdaShelby wrote: »

It reminded me of Sean Connery's first scene as James Bond.

Ah, a James Bond reference too - it gets better! :D
    Did anybody else spot the Star Wars reference in the episode "Into the Dalek"?
    I wonder what that Pink character is up, he seems almost reasonable in his objection against the Doctor but is at the same time busy with getting Clara away from the Doctor. He was never really in awe of what the Doctor represented only disgusted.

Great episode and brilliant music, Murray is an advertisement how the classic sounds of DW can be updated every time and one of my favorites is Mad man in a Box.

I wonder what that Pink character is up, he seems almost reasonable in his objection against the Doctor but is at the same time busy with getting Clara away from the Doctor. He was never really in awe of what the Doctor represented only disgusted.

I think there may be another reason why Danny doesn't remember the Doctor from when he was a child.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 6,432

I think there may be another reason why Danny doesn't remember the Doctor from when he was a child.

If I remember correctly the Doctor tells Clara that he erased young Danny (Rupurts) memory in Listen
    :)

Last few episodes the show is building momentum and i am beginning to like Capaldi as the Doctor.
    The Doctor is becoming increasingly out of touch with humanity, his social skills are pretty terrible. :)) Though joking aside it would appear this is the beginning of a dark downward spiral for the Doctor. The manifestation of the Valeyard may not be too far away.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 267

If I remember correctly the Doctor tells Clara that he erased young Danny (Rupurts) memory in Listen

Oh I must have missed that bit haha

[quot mme="AdaShelby;376289"]

Oh I must have missed that bit haha

[/quote]

Must admit I have watched each episode about three times, where I find time to do that is beyond me

;)
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Another exceptional episode today! What a rolercoaster :-bd
    Peter Capaldi becomes my favorite doctor .I really like him. I even stopped watching DW during series with Matt, because it was too foolish for me. It was like a show only for childeren. And now i have a pleasure and im watching DW again because I really like Capaldi. His perfomance in every episode is amazing. I like the new darck twist. The doctors been around for a vervey long time and we have seen alot of faces, its nice to see a darcker one. The exitment it brings not knowing if you can trust everything you see, what are his motives and were is it all leading to. I hope Capaldi is in it for a very long time, hes what we need in the doctor who world right now.
    Yes indeed. And next, a Forbidden Planet exclusive : a Tardis with a hand sticking out of it and making it advance. I want one for my Christmas !

No really, a creepy menace (although the supervisor was creepy himself), moments of terror, a nice resolution to the plot, moments of laughter (the aforementioned Tardis). What's not to love ? One of the best episode this season.
    Well I have to admit that episode was very good, shrunken Tardis highlight of the series so far. Jenna Coleman as Clara is stealing the show, she is superb and gorgeous, god dam!

:x
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited October 2014 Posts: 13,894
    I have said this with previous episodes, but Flatline was the best yet, Doctor Who meets urban horror. The shrunken TARDIS must have been one of the Flight Control TARDIS toys collectors items. ;)
    Capaldi is becoming one of my Doctors, I would place him after Smith, but the gap is closing. Capaldi might yet take the #3 spot. And what is Missy up to, especially with her comment on Clara?

***1. Flatline***
    2. Kill The Moon
    3. Mummy On The Orient Express
    4. Listen
    5. Into The Dalek
    6. The Caretaker
    7. Time Heist
    8. Robot Of Sherwood
    9. Deep Breath
    That was a whopper of an episode. Yet again, it replaces the previous episode as my favourite so far.
    I watched this episode on the same iPad that Missy was watching Clara on!

1. Flatline
    2. Mummy on the Orient Express
    3. Kill the Moon
    4. The Caretaker
    5. Robot of Sherwood
    6. Into the Dalek
    7. Time Heist
    8. Listen
    9. Deep Breath
    I have said this with previous episodes, but Flatline was the best yet, Doctor Who meets urban horror. The shrunken TARDIS must have been one of the Flight Control TARDIS toys collectors items. ;)
    Capaldi is becoming one of my Doctors, I would place him after Smith, but the gap is closing. Capaldi might yet take the #3 spot. And what is Missy up to, especially with her comment on Clara?

***1. Flatline***
    2. Kill The Moon
    3. Mummy On The Orient Express
    4. Listen
    5. Into The Dalek
    6. The Caretaker
    7. Time Heist
    8. Robot Of Sherwood
    9. Deep Breath

Did you notice
    Missy said 'Clara, my Clara' which is what Smiths Doctor says in The Name of the Doctor, when the Doctor hugs and kisses Clara when he finds her in his time stream. Rewound the Missy scene, before lights dimmed does appear she is in something resembling a Tardis. Intriguing stuff indeed, Missy has possibly been influencing things for sometime, she could be an aspect of the Doctor. Though I am pretty much convinced she is the MASTER!Certainly after that maniacal laugh.

Also...
    After watching Listen again, it occurred to me that the Time Lord child Clara visits may not have been the Doctor, could have been the Master. Instead of putting the Doctor onto the path it was the master Clara was steering onto a path. Hense the Doctors throw away remark 'Clara is perverting the course of human history!'
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I loved both of the two most recent episodes! :)

And
    I think in the "extra" video we were given for Listen, it is explained that Clara does visit the doctor as a child.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 12,837
    Haven't seen yesterdays episode, only just saw last weeks (thought it was really good but they didn't spend enough time sorting out the big argument they had in the episode before, they just brushed over it).

This series has been getting better. I think it started off poorly but there have been some great episodes now. I love how it's darker now and there have been a couple of fantastic episodes. Just wish that I liked Capaldi more (although I am starting to warm to him).

Oh, and Missy=Mistress=Master. That's what I think. Shame though if it does turn out that way because I thought John Simm was brilliant.

Does anyone watch Bad Education? Jack Whitehall's sitcom, on BBC Three. Michelle Gomez (who plays Missy) was great in that but she left (I'm assuming to be in Doctor Who) during the second series. The third series is on now and it's great. First series was mostly pretty crap but it improved massively with the second. This is the last one apparently which is a shame.

It's really funny, and it has (or used to have, haven't noticed it in the third series) one of the most genius little touches, one of the best pieces of set design that I've ever seen (his twitter name is on the whiteboard which just sums up the character so well).
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Thanks for posting this. I've been wondering about Bad Education, and now I'll make sure I check it out. :)
    My episode ratings...

Flatline 8
    Listen 7
    Mummy on Orient ExpressExpress 7
    Kill the Moon 7
    Into the Dalek 6
    Robots of Sherwood 6 (Gets a 6 simply because I found it genuinely funny.)
    Time Heist 5
    The Caretaker 5
    Deep Breath 4 (The more I watch it the worse it gets, the gang is becoming tiresome as is there dialogue.)

Subject to change depending what reveals we have in subsequent episodes.