'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

I loved both of the two most recent episodes! :)

And
    I think in the "extra" video we were given for Listen, it is explained that Clara does visit the doctor as a child.

Ah thanks for that, not watched any of the extra shows.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited October 2014 Posts: 13,894
    I have not watched Bad Education, but Michelle Gomez was the best thing about Green Wing.

Sue White was the best character in the show, followed by Dr Statham.

If Missy must be a renegade Timelord, then I would prefer Missy be The Rani, but if she is The Master (okayyy..), then I will be grateful that Simm isn't The Master.
    That was another excellent episode! Next weeks looks interesting too! Although i did think the preview contained a small spoiler!
    Re : "Flatline" :

17435110.jpg

And for "In The Forest Of The Night" :

I just LOVE that scene.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Flatline will be a tough act to follow, imo. Then again, over the last couple of episodes, series 8 has really hit it's stride.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Flatline will be a tough act to follow, imo. Then again, over the last couple of episodes, series 8 has really hit it's stride.

Agreed. Series 8 is looking to be the best since series 4.

Agreed. Series 8 is looking to be the best since series 4.

Of the modern run of the show, i'd say that it's been the best since series 5.
    I said Capaldi would deliver! Roll on the next episode! :-bd
    Nice tribute to Moonraker tonight. And a very good episode. Bring on the finale, now. Especially after what I heard on the "Next Time" trailer.
    A distinctly average episode.

1. Flatline
    2. Mummy on the Orient Express
    3. Kill the Moon
    4. The Caretaker
    5. Robot of Sherwood
    6. Into the Dalek
    7. Time Heist
    --8. In the Forest of the Night--
    8. Listen
    9. Deep Breath
    A bit of breather before we start next week with the grand finale. I must admit I liked tonight's little story and did enjoy the GREEN message.
    Was more Sarah Jane Adventures than Doctor Who, for the episode In the forest of the night. Do feel the character Missy has been shown too many times for very little reason. Tonights appearance of Missy was utterly pointless.
    edited October 2014 Posts: 13,894
    Tiger, tiger, burning bright
    In the forests of the night - From 'Tiger' by William Blake

On purpose, or just a coincidence? After last's weeks superb urban horror that was Flatline, comes an alright. more kiddie-friendly episode with an environmental message. Brought to mind some of the Barry Letts stories of the 70's.

1. Flatline
    2. Kill The Moon
    3. Mummy On The Orient Express
    4. Listen
    5. Into The Dalek
    6. The Caretaker
    7. Time Heist
    ***8. In The Forest Of The Night***
    9. Robot Of Sherwood
    10. Deep Breath

Also, I can't belive that next week is the 11th episode. This series had flown by.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I didn't watch the whole thing, missed the start of the episode. It wasn't amazing but still enjoyable. I'm really excited about the next one, though!
    Was not the best episode but it was ok. Really looking forward to the next couple of episodes though! :-bd
    The soundtracks from "Day of the Doctor" and "Time of the Doctor" will be released on november 24th. More information (including tracklist) here :

doctorwhotv.co.uk/the-day-time-of-the-doctor-soundtrack-68268.htm
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 6,432
    Doctorwhotv has changed the name of the site to Missywhotv. She must be a huge character based on that.
    Still think she is the Master! My second bet would be the Valeyard!
    The Rani...? While Siobhan Redmond has taken up the mantle of The Rani in the audios, I would like to see Gomez as The Rani on tv.
    Rani certainly a possibility, thought of Kate O'Mara first time I saw Missy. Must confess not watched the Seventh Doctor era for some time other than Remembrance of the Daleks. Its vague for me the outcome of the Rani arc?
    The only Seventh Doctor story that The Rani was in, was 'Time And The Rani', the first Seventh Doctor story, but even I must admit, it's not one of his best.
    Will have to revisit McCoys Doctor, I watched it first time round though with decreasing budget back then as a child lost interest. I vaguely remember the Rani in Colin Bakers tenure, bought Trial of a time lord box set a few years ago though that's all I have seen recently of the sixth Doctor.
    McCoy is my favourite Doctor, but I can see why those early stories could have turned viewers of the time off the Seventh Doctor. If you can make it through those first 4 stories (series 24), the stories improve in series 25 and moreso in series 26

Trial Of A Timelord, the final nail in the coffin for the Sixth Doctor. I don't dislike that era, but there number of problems I have, none of which are the casting of Colin Baker.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I feel spoilt
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 6,432
    @MajorDSmythe Colin Baker I think could have been a good doctor with better material. Michael Grade certainly did not help Doctor Who at the time, though compared to the likes of Star Wars and Star Trek, Doctor Who was looking dated. Who needed to be backed and financed well, though TV at the time could not compete with cinema the way it does certainly better now.There is an excellent documentary called Trials and tribulations can't find link on my tablet, will look on PC when home. Its quite an in depth look at how the show was on trial parallel to how the Doctor was on trial during the series arc. Personal low point in Who history for me was Bonnie Langford, wish Peri had stayed on longer. I never accept the back tracking regarding Peri at the End of Trial of a Time lord, totally undermined one of the better moments during that season.

Will have a look on Amazon for McCoys seasons.
    edited November 2014 Posts: 13,894
    We now know that Grade had a personal grudge against Baker, the show was collateral damage. I agree on Trials And Tribulations, you can find it on the DVD of TOATL: The Ultimate Foe.
    Bonnie Langford, I feel sorry for. She was saddled with a character that had an ill-thought out habit of screaming. The limitations with Mel were magnified when you look at her successor in the line of companions, Ace.

As for the McCoy stories, start at the beginning, and get those lightweight stories out of the way.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Three words: awesome, awesome, awesome! OK, that was just one but that's just how I feel about today's episode. The start got me a bit aprehensive but oh, it turned out so good! Missy indeed ;)
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 6,432
    That was good >:D<
    ...and i knew it. Great reveal, THE MASTER!!! Loved Doctors reaction.spoiler]

I'll watch them all @MajorDSmythe, even some of weaker old episodes enjoy revisiting them. Quite reasonably priced on Amazon.
    Absolutely superb.
    I knew she was going to be the Master, but the reveal was fantastic.

1. ---Dark Water---
    2. Flatline
    3. Mummy on the Orient Express
    4. Kill the Moon
    5. The Caretaker
    6. Robot of Sherwood
    7. Into the Dalek
    8. Time Heist
    9. In the Forest of the Night
    10. Listen
    11. Deep Breath
    edited November 2014 Posts: 13,894
    That one took time to warm up, and I was disappointed when Missy revealed that she is/was The Master. At the mention of Rani, I was about to have a fangasm (firs and possibly last time will use that word). And the Cybermen are back.

1. Flatline
    2. Kill The Moon
    3. Mummy On The Orient Express
    4. Listen
    5. Into The Dalek
    ***6. Dark Water***
    7. The Caretaker
    8. Time Heist
    9. In The Forest Of The Night
    10. Robot Of Sherwood
    11. Deep Breath