SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

• RC7 wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    At least Craig's films have been trying to have solid continuity. Either finish them in b24 or have Bond completely wipe them out in b25. It would be nice to have Bond catch the man ultimately responsible for Vesper's suicide.

I don't think Mendes gives two hoots about CR and QoS, hence zero continuity in SF. I expect this to continue. Bond found his Quantum of Solace - story arc completed. Happy for them to give us fresh ideas.

Even though I happen to agree with you insofar that Mendes doesn't give a rats arse about CR and QoS (or anything else except himself for that matter), I still would like to emphasise however that Sam Mendes and fresh ideas are mutually exclusive and not to be found on the same project. After all these years I'm still shocked how boring "road to perdition" turned out, despite some really good ideas in the script.
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Because they overused SPECTRE. That doesn't mean you cannot use a recurring menace. It brought a sense of continuity to the earlier Bond movies AND gave SPECTRE/Blofeld at least until DAF an aura of menace.

In the era of Marvel, continuity is the new buzzword. Bond should be the exact opposite. Two hours of standalone fun every couple of years.

By jolly, your black-and-white approach.......not my cup of tea....

The last two films have struggled to nail the plotting as it is. Why make a rod for your own back by having to work towards a two, three, four film arc? All I ask is that they make B24 a great film with a decent plot. That's it.
  • Could Austria be a location double for Norway? Do we have some sources or some articles in the local Obertilliach press?
    Because they overused SPECTRE. That doesn't mean you cannot use a recurring menace. It brought a sense of continuity to the earlier Bond movies AND gave SPECTRE/Blofeld at least until DAF an aura of menace.

In the era of Marvel, continuity is the new buzzword. Bond should be the exact opposite. Two hours of standalone fun every couple of years.

The last two films have struggled to nail the plotting as it is. Why make a rod for your own back by having to work towards a two, three, four film arc? All I ask is that they make B24 a great film with a decent plot. That's it.

You're doing exactly that, what you are accusing me of: Making a rod for your own back. You also want something that is explicitly your idea: "Bond should be the exact opposite. Two hours of standalone fun every couple of years." And like so many in here, also you want your personal taste to prevail and to see it back in a next Bond film.

You can perfectly make a better plot without throwing away a sense of contiunity. The recent changes in the screenplay team should be the first sign of that (John Logan left). Just....be a bit patient
    Alleged details of a plane crash? Surprised if this sort on info is leaked already? On a separate note? Why oh why when we see something new? It must be something to do with Blofeld?!

Driving me mad with it! A set photo in it's very early stages? Blofelds lair! DC's mate Mark Strong who would make a great villain? OMG he is Blofeld! Come on people get a grip.

I have made my thoughts clear that I believe Quantum should return as it's story is not over. It smacks of silly hypocrisy to say Quantum is rubbish and finished? Yet Spectre who have not been seen in 3 decades at least are more relevant? Than a global organisation riddled through countless countries of the world only 6 years ago in the same time line is not far more of a realistic threat in the Bond world!

Rant over! :-bd
    At least Craig's films have been trying to have solid continuity. Either finish them in b24 or have Bond completely wipe them out in b25. It would be nice to have Bond catch the man ultimately responsible for Vesper's suicide.

I don't think Mendes gives two hoots about CR and QoS, hence zero continuity in SF. I expect this to continue. Bond found his Quantum of Solace - story arc completed. Happy for them to give us fresh ideas.

There were several references to both CR and QoS. And to be fair, you can't really be sure what Mendes thinks.

References, but no continuity. Like I said, the Vesper story arc is closed. Unless they're all out of original ideas there's no reason to feature Quantum again.

To me - as a lover of plots and storylines there is simply no way to let go an organisation that has got people everywhere (especially in a Bond environment).Just too intriguing, just too many possibilities!
  • RC7RC7

You're doing exactly that, what you are accusing me of: Making a rod for your own back. You also want something that is explicitly your idea: "Bond should be the exact opposite. Two hours of standalone fun every couple of years." And like so many in here, also you want your personal taste to prevail and to see it back in a next Bond film.

You can perfectly make a better plot without throwing away a sense of contiunity. The recent changes in the screenplay team should be the first sign of that (John Logan left). Just....be a bit patient

You mistake my English (which is fine, obviously) when I say 'you' make a rod, I mean B&M, the writers, director etc.

I don't want something that's explicitly my idea, I'm saying that from a quality/business point of view it seems to me that shunning the modern fad for having continuing story lines across franchise films, is the way to go. I don't produce the films, so it's just my opinion. I would prefer the focus to be on developing the man at centre of it all, 'Bond', not his nemesis.
  • RC7RC7
    Matt_Helm wrote: »

There were several references to both CR and QoS. And to be fair, you can't really be sure what Mendes thinks.

References, but no continuity. Like I said, the Vesper story arc is closed. Unless they're all out of original ideas there's no reason to feature Quantum again.

To me - as a lover of plots and storylines there is simply no way to let go an organisation that has got people everywhere (especially in a Bond environment).Just too intriguing, just too many possibilities!

And you think you can cover the vastness and reach of such an organisation sufficiently in two hour films every three or four years? I've said in several posts before, the omnipotence of Quantum lends itself to a TV series - to really expose the depth of of the organisation.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Apparently something about a plane crash if I had to guess this PURE SPECULATION but if i am right..
    I am guessing if there is a plane crash it is the catalyst that throws bond into action. If quantum is back Perhaps the plane was carrying sensative information and Quantum is selling it to the highest bidder?

Bringing Quantum back would be the worst thing they possibly could do. I trust Mendes is more intelligent than that, so I have no worries.

Yep, let's keep having no continuity in Bond movies, let's just introduce narrative arcs and forget them completely. It's much lazier and easier.

And continuity is bad because...?

I think it is time to bring some continuity and some recurring adversaries to the Bond franchise, especially since it has been reintroduced in many franchises: the public can and will take it. Of course, it can be a lose continuity, just like Fleming did. He had standalone adventures for Bond, but there was an underlying menace. And there is worse to do than going back to Fleming's roots.
    Walecs wrote: »
    Yep, let's keep having no continuity in Bond movies, let's just introduce narrative arcs and forget them completely. It's much lazier and easier.

Who said no continuity? I want Bond 24 to be a continuition of Skyfall but also a stand alone movie. (Like The Dark Knight was a continuation of Batman Begins but very much a stand alone movie at the same time.)

Bringing back the baddies from a disappointing movie released 6 years ago (it will be 7 years by the time Bond 24 hits the cinemas) is just not a wise thing to do.
    Another photo of Daniel Craig in Morocco:

• RC7RC7
    edited September 2014 Posts: 10,512
    especially since it has been reintroduced in many franchises: the public can and will take it. Of course, it can be a lose continuity, just like Fleming did. He had standalone adventures for Bond, but there was an underlying menace. And there is worse to do than going back to Fleming's roots.

Having an underlying menace, which wasn't even underlying, it was front and centre for 3 novels is hardly going back to Flemings roots. There were 11 other novels whereby Bond had character progression and a sense of continuity through the political climate, but where the villains all presented a different threat or challenge and came from different walks of life, had different political persuasions and different goals. Clubbing everyone together under some nefarious, pseudo-political umbrella seems limiting to me.

Plus the fact 'other franchises are doing it' is reason enough not to. Bond should play by its own rules, not follow the temporary ones imposed by others.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 5,745

Who said no continuity? I want Bond 24 to be a continuition of Skyfall but also a stand alone movie. (Like The Dark Knight was a continuation of Batman Begins but very much a stand alone movie at the same time.)

Bringing back the baddies from a disappointing movie released 6 years ago (it will be 7 years by the time Bond 24 hits the cinemas) is just not a wise thing to do.

What baddies? Haines and White? Those are the only two (minor) characters we know of so far. There is so much room to grow. You can have "individual" villains and "individual" films all fall under the Quantum umbrella similar to the early SPECTRE films. We know they're all working for something bigger, but maybe the villains are not necessarily all working together.
  • JWESTBROOK wrote: »

What baddies? Haines and White? Those are the only two (minor) characters we know of so far. There is so much room to grow. You can have "individual" villains and "individual" films all fall under the Quantum umbrella similar to the early SPECTRE films. We know they're all working for something bigger, but maybe the villains are not necessarily all working together.

Yeah, that's just how it is! There are dozens of stories to be had from those Quantum guys.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    So some people don't want Quantum to return because they happened to feature in a Bond film that wasn't universally well received? With such mentality they should have stopped making Bond movies altogether decades ago. Quantum in principle are attributed wuth quakes, functions and a presence that's just too good and too interesting to just suddenly abandon to the wayside. I'd like to think fans and the producers are more evolved than that sort of reasoning. QoS wasn't the best film for a number of reasons but all the series has to do is write a story and screenplay that makes better use of the organisation. It's not rocket science. Just come up with a better story and don't hack the footage to death.
    BondMorten wrote: »
    Could Austria be a location double for Norway? Do we have some sources or some articles in the local Obertilliach press?

Yes, Obertilliach will double for Spitzbergen, Norways biggest island.
    http://www.kleinezeitung.at/kaernten/klagenfurt/klagenfurt/3720161/007-mission-osttirol.story
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Quantum to me is just not that interesting. They didn't much to develop at least to date ..but truefully for all but die hard fans no one cares. At least SPECTRE has some history in both novels and film...and maybe something there for a reboot. Idk

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Quantum to me is just not that interesting. They didn't much to develop at least to date ..but truefully for all but die hard fans no one cares. At least SPECTRE has some history in both novels and film...and maybe something there for a reboot. Idk

• JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    Another with Mark Strong in the Atlas Mountains

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Not reading potential spoilers (or any other posts), but I saw on Facebook that Mark Strong may be the villain? I'm beyond thrilled, if that is the case.
    Thanks for the pics :D
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited September 2014 Posts: 11,139
    JamesPage wrote: »

The fact that you of all people posted this makes Strong 's presence in Morocco with our man Dan all the more curious.
    However that might be, I hope, its not true. Mark is great but such old news as a villain. I would prefer that Chifetel (or however that is spelled)
    doubleoego wrote: »
    JamesPage wrote: »

The fact that you of all people posted this makes Strong 's presence in Morocco with our man Dan all the more curious.

Location scouting is no jolly holiday. And it costs the production money to fly/transport actors and crew to potential locations and accommodate and feed them etc. for however long the recce takes - normally a few days on a foreign location. So I don't think Mark Strong is there just to tag along with his close mate Daniel.

For my money, I think Mark Strong would make a fantastic henchmen - if that's what we call it - in the mould of Red Grant - a physical but also an intellectual and psychological challenge to Bond. For me that kind of henchman is more in line with the tone of Craig's Bonds than a Jaws/Oddjob-typer heavy.

I could see Craig and Strong, both powerhouse actors, facing off with very smartly written dialogue like Connery and Shaw in the great FRWL.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Zekidk wrote: »
    BondMorten wrote: »
    Could Austria be a location double for Norway? Do we have some sources or some articles in the local Obertilliach press?

Yes, Obertilliach will double for Spitzbergen, Norways biggest island.
    http://www.kleinezeitung.at/kaernten/klagenfurt/klagenfurt/3720161/007-mission-osttirol.story

It does not specifically say that, it is mere speculation. Obertillack looks nothing like Spitsbergen, but it does resemble some Norwegian mountain villages.
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    I don't think Mark Strong is there just to tag along with his close mate Daniel.
    Mark Strong is travelling back and forth UK and South Africa due to his role in "Grimsby", which they are currently shooting in Cape Town. Morocco could be a stopover.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 6,601
    Zekidk wrote: »
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    I don't think Mark Strong is there just to tag along with his close mate Daniel.
    Mark Strong is travelling back and forth UK and South Africa due to his role in "Grimsby", which they are currently shooting in Cape Town. Morocco could be a stopover.

That's more likely, because wouldn't YOU stop to see a friend and spend some time? IMO its even like thisd : Lets give them some reason to run wild with rumours Hahaha...( I can imagine those two having a lot of fun with that)

Was CR disappointing too? Because it was the same baddies.

By that same argument, they should have forgotten Blofeld for OHMSS because YOLT was a lesser movie?