Rest In Peace, show your respects to those who have passed away.

Comments

• RIP Richard Kiel. Perhaps the most known and popular henchman of the whole series along with or above Oddjob
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Sad news to log in and see.

RIIP
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    RIP Richard Kiel. He was great in TSWLM.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Thanks for those photos!

And maybe I am just not looking in the right place, but I want to say what the heck is wrong with CNN? I cannot find a mention of Richard Kiel on their website just now. Surely I am overlooking it, but ... I mean, if they don't have something about him, I will be pretty angry. If someone finds his passing mentioned, please let me know.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    RIP Jaws.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    Getafix wrote: »

This is a really nice piece. Glad I work for the right paper :-)
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    RIP Richard. :(
  • In a statement, Sir Roger says he is "totally distraught" at the death.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited September 2014 Posts: 13,350
    On Twitter Roger Moore has said:

I am totally distraught to learn of my dear friend Richard Kiel's passing. We were on a radio programme together just a week ago. Distraught

Following it up later with:

Can't take it in

Here's more thoughts from Roger:

Richard Kiel Sounded "Very Weak” When We Last Spoke

"He was talking from Fresno, and we were in a studio in London – Barbara Broccoli, Michael Wilson, and John Glen the director,” Moore told Yahoo this morning.

“[Richard] sounded very, very weak. We were told that the line was bad from Fresno and that he would sound a bit strange.

"But he’d had a hell of a job getting into the studio and getting out of his car. What we didn’t know was that he’d had surgery that week, that he’d broken his leg. He’d fallen and that weight and height that he was, falling was a very serious thing.”

Moore said he was “a big man with an even bigger heart”.

https://uk.yahoo.com/movies/roger-moore-richard-kiel-sounded-very-weak-when-we-97211452086.html
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Thanks for those photos!

And maybe I am just not looking in the right place, but I want to say what the heck is wrong with CNN? I cannot find a mention of Richard Kiel on their website just now. Surely I am overlooking it, but ... I mean, if they don't have something about him, I will be pretty angry. If someone finds his passing mentioned, please let me know.

Unfortunately there probably won't be a mention on CNN, Fox News, etc. with Obama declaring military action on ISIS and the 9/11 anniversary.

But we are rightfully honoring and remembering him.

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited September 2014 Posts: 4,444
    Dutch http://nos.nl/artikel/696928-jaws-uit-bondfilms-overleden.html
    De Amerikaanse acteur Richard Kiel is overleden. Kiel was vooral bekend als de schurk Jaws uit de James Bondfilms.

De 74-jarige Kiel werd vorige week met een gebroken been opgenomen in een ziekenhuis in Fresno, waar hij woonde. Waaraan hij is overleden is niet bekendgemaakt.

Tanden
    Kiel brak in de jaren zestig door in de televisieserie The Wild Wild West. Hij had een opvallend postuur: hij was 2 meter 17 lang, het gevolg van een hormonale afwijking.

In 1977 was hij voor het eerst te zien als Jaws, de slechterik met de stalen tanden. Hij was een van de weinige Bondschurken die in twee films speelden: The Spy who loved me en Moonraker, die twee jaar later uitkwam. Kiel vertolkte de rol ook in twee computergames.

Kiel speelde in meer dan vijftig jaar tijd in tientallen producties. Hij bleef tot op late leeftijd acteren.

Goldeneye
    Vorige week overleed een andere bad guy uit de James Bondreeks: de Duitse acteur Gottfried John. Hij speelde generaal Ouromov in de film Goldeneye.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQmMwgXInLDjEQwSgPh0OkCmg_PdVX8S7NUjHf6UTo-MggVgDBP

RIP.. :D < > :(
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    By coincidence, I heard him on the radio today. He appeared on the recent BBC radio interview along with Roger Moore, the producers and John Glen. I'm guessing that was the last time he spoke publicly about his role in the franchise.

He was such a great villain. How could you ever forget his huge stature, his teeth and his overall screen presence. RIP Jaws/Richard Kiel.

• edited September 2014 Posts: 15,818
    :( MR being the 1st Bond film I saw, Richard Kiel is really what got me into Bond. Very sad about this.
    How ironic that his last public talk was in the "reunion", several days ago, with Roger, Michael, Barbara and John Glen talking about the 1970s Bond movies. How fitting. RIP big guy.
  • I'd like to add my voice to those who pay tribute to Richard Kiel.
    Like him or not, Jaws won't ever be forgotten.
    He'll always be remember as the most recognizable Bond henchman.
    My sincere condolances to his family and friends.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 12,837
    First Gotfried John dies and now this. We've lost two great Bond villains in what, a week? Awful news.

RIP Richard. He seemed like a really nice guy and thanks to his amazing performance, Jaws was not only one of the best Bond villains but one of the most iconic film characters ever.

Moderator: Profanity removed. Again
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    Just read this online and was shocked. So sad. RIP Mr. Kiel.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Oh, he was wonderful! An actor who will be remembered, an iconic part of Bond history, and by all accounts a loving family man and a very nice person.

RIP, dear unique and kind Richard Kiel.

A born-again Christian too.

Really gutted about this news. My favourite henchman bar none. I just wish I'd had the chance to meet him. By all accounts, as others has said, he sounded like a true gent. The thing that consoles me about his passing is that he was a Christian. My thoughts and condolences to Richard's friends and family.

• Sad loss, R.I.P. Jaws.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    You know you're getting old when legends from your childhood start dying off.

I still remember my mum sitting me down in front of the telly as a 5 or 6 year old and saying 'you'll like this'. My first glimpse into the universe of James Bond unfolded and after being blown away by the Union Jack ski jump I still remember the visceral shiver of fear when Jaws grinned in the scene with Sandor and Stromberg and from there on I was hooked for life.

Then a year or two later when Jaws poked his head out of the plane door in MR on ITV on Christmas Day circa 1983 my brand new Ewok village and Scout Walker toys from Santa were forgotten for 2 hours as I was once more transported into that thrilling, larger than life universe.

And who in this country can forget the shredded wheat advert?

I'm so glad now that I made the trek to HMV Oxford St in 2012 for Richard to sign my new BluRay 50th box set. Once again when faced with this gentle giant I became that awestruck little boy again. The older and more cynical you get the harder it is to stay in touch with those carefree days of being a child.

For children of the 70's and early 80's like me Richard Kiel was our Rosebud.

RIP Richard.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Kerim wrote: »
    Thanks for those photos!

Unfortunately there probably won't be a mention on CNN, Fox News, etc. with Obama declaring military action on ISIS and the 9/11 anniversary.

But we are rightfully honoring and remembering him.

There is a mention on CNN now. They were just late. They have an entertainment section. I'm not happy with them for lagging. But at least it is there now.

I'm glad so many kind things are being said about Richard. Thanks to those posting articles. I appreciate it.
  • BxNpcSzIMAAKzLk.jpg:large
    RIP Mr. Larson
    Saw the sad news that Richard Kiel had passed away this morning whilst having breakfast. To say i am gutted is putting it mildly. Was very lucky to have met Richard at conventions a number of times here in the UK.

He was a true gentleman and always had time for a chat. Very sad day indeed and my heartwarmth thoughts and prayers go out to his family! RIP Richard.
  • RIP Richard Kiel. Very sad news. My favourite henchman as the unforgetable Jaws. Met Richard last year at a Bond signing. Had my picture taken with him and he did his signature thing of holding my head like a grape in his huge hands. Gentle giant and a lovely guy.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    They mentioned is on the US Sports variety show Pardon the Interruption. Pretty big ESPN show over in the States. Mentioned his contributions to sports movies Longest Yard and Happy Gilmore as well as his work on Bond film. Hearing Moore speak so fondly of Richard was touching.
  • RIP Richard Kiel. Your one-of-a-kind portrayal of Jaws, one of James Bond's most iconic adversaries, will be watched and enjoyed by countless future audiences.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Richard Kiel will be featured on BBC Radio 4 this afternoon at 16:00 hrs in a programe called
    Last Word 12/09/2014.