Rest In Peace, show your respects to those who have passed away.

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    RIP Mr. Holder :(
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Rest in peace Geoffery. You were my favorite part of Live and Let Die with your iconic laugh. "A beautiful day....hehehehe."
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 4,622
    He was a great character!
    RIP. Another great Bond character actor passes along.

As for being a threat, I think his character was intentionally ambiguous. I don't believe he was intended as quite mortal.
    His presence re-inforced the voodoo forces being utilized by Kananga.
    The good Baron was portrayed in the likeness of the Haitan voodoo "Loa," Baron Samedi- a supernatural character- demonic even -master of the dead, who likes to take human form and engage assorted debaucheries etc.
    Holder was dressed like the Baron of lore, top hat, tails etc.
    The movie does play with Solitaire's visionary powers as real.
    We do see her use them, even if Bond scoffs. Kananga certainly believes.
    So it seems, the Baron can be interpreted as a manifestation of the actual Baron of voodoo lore, which helps explain what he's doing perched on the front of the train at the end of the film.
    LALD is the only Bond film that plays with the supernatural.
    It was smartly done I thought.
    Holder's portrayal was quite well realized, I thought. He played with the ambiguity of the the character ie, what is this guy?
    Eon just kind of put it out there, for us to wonder about.
    I looked up the voodoo lore later, and then it all kind of fit.
    Sad to hear the passing of Paul Revere(drummer) of 'Paul Revere and the Raiders'. An American rock band that found success in the 1960's and 1970's. Had a nice string of hits such as 'Kicks Getting Harder to Find' and others.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    The Bond family keeps getting smaller, RIP Baron :(
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    RIP Geoffrey. Baron Samedi was one of my favourite characters from the Bond series.
    Calvin Dyson's post on his Facebook page made me smile, particularly the end bit:

More sad news, guys. Geoffrey Holder who played Baron Samedi has passed away. It's a testament to all the actors in Live and Let Die that, for a film so packed with villains, every single one of them was so memorable but perhaps more so for Mr. Holder who gave Samedi an energy unlike any other Bond villain. Another true icon... Maybe if I try hard enough I can believe he's not dead but actually riding around on a train somewhere, howling with laughter and tipping his hat... RIP Geoffrey Holder.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Very sad news to learn of the passing of Geoffrey Holder, as others have mentioned he was a truly memorable character within the Bond series.
    RIP.
  • RIP Geoffrey Holder. He gave such a wonderful, theatrical performance in L&LD and memorably brought Baron Samedi to life with rich vocalization and his background in choreography. There's a reason he was one of only four of the classic henchmen to appear in GoldenEye N64: with one unforgettable performance he made a big splash in the public's consciousness of cinematic Bond.
    RIP Baron Saturday :-(. By jolly....I don't like to hear more of this news from former Bond film actors. It also tells you....how...how insanely old the 007-franchise is nowadays. Again, Geoffrey will be greatly missed. My thoughts are with Geoffrey's wife Carmen and his only son Leo.
    I just learned that Geoffrey Holder, who portrayed Baron Samedi in "LIVE AND LET DIE", recently passed away from complications of pneumonia. He was 84 years old.

R.I.P. Mr. Holder.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    RIP Geoffrey Holder. Great actor, entertainer, and human being by the accounts of many. Baron Samedi is one of my 5 favorite henchmen in the series, mostly because of the unique energy and intrigue Holder bought to the role. Hope his family and loved ones are doing okay through this difficult time.

Everyone should watch Live and Let Die this weekend as tribute.

Where have all the henchmen gone?! :(
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Yes, we are remembering him on the thread dedicated to paying respects to those who pass away.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited October 2014 Posts: 17,846
    Sad news regarding Geoffrey Holder - an amazing dancer, choreographer and actor. His character Baron Samedi transcends death in LALD and I hope and believe that the memory of this great human being will too.
    Wow RIP Geoffrey Holder. I could never ever forget Baron Samedi, an absolutely pivotal part of why I love LALD so much. It's crazy how many Bond villains have passed in this short span of time!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Yet another Bond villain. So sad. RIP, Geoffrey Holder. You were fantastic in LALD and you were one talented individual.
    Yes, we are remembering him on the thread dedicated to paying respects to those who pass away.

I think for non-Bond actors who passed away, a general R.I.P.-topic is fitting. But in all honesty, I think Richard Kiel, Geoffrey Holder & Gottfried John deserve their own topics.

edited October 2014 Posts: 12,459
    Well, we actually use the paying respects thread for all people, all professions, not just actors. It seems to work fine, and it is nice to have one major thread for that.

You could certainly start a Richard Kiel Appreciation thread I think. :) That would be nice. We just don't really need additional threads for paying respects when someone passes away. Yet having said that, I do feel on rare occasions for someone's passing away (like our beloved and truly missed member, SirHenryLeeChaChing) that a separate thread is warranted.
    Yes, that's a very sensible approach there, @4EverBonded. :)
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited October 2014 Posts: 4,458
    Dutch http://nos.nl/artikel/707107-bondschurk-baron-samedi-dood.html

707115.jpg

Bondschurk Baron Samedi dood
    dinsdag 7 okt 2014, 06:49 (Update: 07-10-14, 08:28)

Het Amerikaanse multitalent Geoffrey Holder is overleden. Het grote publiek zal hem vooral kennen als de Bondschurk uit Live and let die, maar Holder blonk uit in meer kunsten.

Holder, geboren in Trinidad en Tobago, danste in de jaren vijftig in het Metropolitan Opera Ballet in New York en maakte later naam op Broadway. Hij regisseerde de musical The Wiz, een hervertelling van The Wizard of Oz met een volledig zwarte cast. Hij won daarvoor twee keer de Tony-toneelprijs, voor regie en kostuumontwerp.
    Hollywood

In 1973 speelde hij in de eerste Bond-film van Roger Moore de kwaadaardige voodoo-geestelijke Baron Samedi. Enkele jaren later nam hij in Annie de rol van bediende Punjab voor zijn rekening. Ook leverde hij met zijn sonore bariton de voice-over van Tim Burtons Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Daarnaast had Holder nog een kookboek op zijn naam staan, met recepten uit zijn geboorteregio.

Holder werd 84 jaar oud. Hij overleed aan complicaties bij een longontsteking.

RIP or...

baron-samedi-00.jpg
    So sad to learn of the passing of Geoffrey Holder. Do not know if he ever made public appearances like the other actors i have met?

But he was my first lasting memory of LALD more than Bond himself! It was my first Bond movie all those years ago, and he certainly made and left a massive impression on me!

RIP Geoffrey Holder! 8-X
  • He really impressed me a Samedi. That laughing is iconic! RIP Geoffrey Holder
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    RIP Geoffrey Holder.
  • RC7RC7
    I'd go as far as to say Geoffrey is my favourite villain in the series. He didn't just turn up on set a deliver his lines, he took it to another level. 'They're heading for the hiiill'. If there's a villain as iconic in the next 50 years I'll be highly surprised. Many happy memories of thoroughly enjoying his performance with my family. My Dad still attempts to do his laugh.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 11,189
    On Tuesday it was my Grandad's funeral. It was a hard experience but actually not as hideous as I was expecting it to be. My mum did a reading which she hadn't told me about and did brilliantly. I refrained from doing a speech myself as I wasn't sure beforehand whether I could finish it. I also remember him saying to me last year that he wouldn't want me to feel like I had to. I did put a rose on the coffin at the end though, and so did my sister.

Afterwards we all met up at his house for food and drinks. Bloody typical that the gas man should call round to read the meter. I'd like to think he'd have found that funny.
    I'm sure the memorial/funeral service was beautiful and loving. You are right to think about how your granddad wanted you to feel. It sounds like you had a great relationship with him. My condolences again to all of your family, and I hope you have some more comfort and strength. Thanks for sharing that with us.

I think for non-Bond actors who passed away, a general R.I.P.-topic is fitting. But in all honesty, I think Richard Kiel, Geoffrey Holder & Gottfried John deserve their own topics.
    I do kind of roll with @graves sentiment here. When well known Bond personages die, I don't think having a dedicated thread is a bad thing.
    Mods are capable of figuring out which individuals might warrant their own thread.
    Otherwise some of us can miss the news if we aren't checking this thread.

Actors who played Bond of course, I would immediately want their own thread. For actors who played any character in a Bond film ... well, I am not strongly opposed. It just did not seem necessary to me. But if others prefer it and the mods are fine with it, then I can be on board with that. I simply felt this one thread was sufficient; it does not really bother me either way (for Bond related).

Pretty much all others, not Bond related at all, can go here. Even so, there would still be some rare exceptions, I think. I do believe it is helpful if nearly all are on one thread, that we have one major thread for paying respects.
    Actors who played Bond of course, I would immediately want their own thread. For actors who played any character in a Bond film ... well, I am not strongly opposed. It just did not seem necessary to me. But if others prefer it and the mods are fine with it, then I can be on board with that. I simply felt this one thread was sufficient; it does not really bother me either way (for Bond related).

Pretty much all others, not Bond related at all, can go here. Even so, there would still be some rare exceptions, I think. I do believe it is helpful if nearly all are on one thread, that we have one major thread for paying respects.

Yes, I think you are right in this. It keeps our tributes and memories for the deceased in one easy-to-find thread.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    On the subject of Geoffrey Holder, this is rather fascinating:

http://m.amsterdamnews.com/news/2014/oct/09/when-baron-samedi-comes-death-jean-claude-duvalier/

They died one day apart.