Celebrities you like that nobody else seems to

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    If you have not seen it, i'd recommend The Seven-Ups. It's what The French Connection would have been like, if Scheider had been cast as the lead.
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    Everybody always brings up the Scientology situation when criticizing him, but his beliefs are no stranger than those that others religions/belief systems spout. A lot of people live their lives in the hopes that a man in the sky will pass positive judgements on them when they die and allow them entrance into a utopia of the clouds, yet we're quick to call Tom the mental case? I in no way wish that to be a religion slam, I am only trying to point out that those criticizing Tom for a so-called "crazy" religion with a strange belief system could themselves be practicing one that is just as out there and other worldly.
    ^ THIS!
    I believe in reincarnation of a sort. We ALL find our way through this messy life with possibly dopey beliefs. In the immortal words of Max Guevarra, "Whatever."
    Cruise rocks.

It's not what scientologists believe that bothers me, it's what they do. It's not so much a religion but a pretty sinister cult that treats members badly (there are stories of people working for them being treated badly and then being charged thousands for leaving), scams people for money and has ruined the lives in the past of people who openly opposed them (by spreading lies, getting them arrested, etc).
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited September 2014 Posts: 23,449
    I still like the Fresh Prince. I know he nepotises (is that a word? :) ) his boy a lot but I can't help being very fond of Will Smith as an actor. It may be a generational thing, I don't know, but the man has never let me down. I think he's a great actor.

09c3036c0937a03fd0b994ea7cc6d9a1-will-smith-woo-ha-ha-ha-ha.jpg

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited September 2014 Posts: 28,694
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Everybody always brings up the Scientology situation when criticizing him, but his beliefs are no stranger than those that others religions/belief systems spout. A lot of people live their lives in the hopes that a man in the sky will pass positive judgements on them when they die and allow them entrance into a utopia of the clouds, yet we're quick to call Tom the mental case? I in no way wish that to be a religion slam, I am only trying to point out that those criticizing Tom for a so-called "crazy" religion with a strange belief system could themselves be practicing one that is just as out there and other worldly.
    ^ THIS!
    I believe in reincarnation of a sort. We ALL find our way through this messy life with possibly dopey beliefs. In the immortal words of Max Guevarra, "Whatever."
    Cruise rocks.

It's not what scientologists believe that bothers me, it's what they do. It's not so much a religion but a pretty sinister cult that treats members badly (there are stories of people working for them being treated badly and then being charged thousands for leaving), scams people for money and has ruined the lives in the past of people who openly opposed them (by spreading lies, getting them arrested, etc).
    Wait, are we talking about Scientology here or just every religion ever? I'm confused...
    :-/
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I still like the Fresh Prince. I know he nepotises (is that a word? :) ) his boy a lot but I can't help being very fond of Will Smith as an actor. It may be a generational thing, I don't know, but the man has never let me down. I think he's a great actor.

09c3036c0937a03fd0b994ea7cc6d9a1-will-smith-woo-ha-ha-ha-ha.jpg

Me too @Dimi, me too. I still rank it as one of my favorite shows of all time, and I've watched all the episodes more times than I could count growing up. The show is obviously very funny, but I enjoy it most for those moments that really explored some powerful story lines for the characters and allowed the actors to polish their dramatic chops. One of my favorite of those moments is this one:

Just powerful, powerful stuff, and a majority of it was apparently improvised right on the spot.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Too bad he's not coming back for Independence Day 2. Or I Am Legend 2 (which isn't happening anyway) for that matter.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Too bad he's not coming back for Independence Day 2. Or I Am Legend 2 (which isn't happening anyway) for that matter.

My favorite films of his have always been his dramatic work. I Am Legend is a brilliant piece, and The Pursuit of Happyness is not only my favorite Will Smith film, but one of my favorite films of all time. Just a powerful piece of work from all involved.
  • This sums up my point about scientology

http://www.badcult.info/

Also, while every religion has bad people normally those people are extremists and not a part of the church itself. And I can't think of another religion that charges you (if I decided to go to a church or mosque now I could do it for free, I wouldn't need to take some BS test and then be told that I need so spend loads of money) and isn't even open about its beliefs.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited September 2014 Posts: 12,459
    I liked Cruise as an actor just okay, sometimes a lot (Risky Business, Jerry Maguire) ... but his personal life has truly soured me on him. I cannot enjoy his work much any more. Same for Woody Allen.
    No I don't want to start a discussion on religion or on Woody's past. But I wanted to speak up and say that yes, rarely, an actor's or director's personal beliefs/actions will be so disgusting to me that it ruins his work for me. It just does.

Those are the only two I can think of at this moment. I know others in the past (meaning some of the general public and those who work in the industry) felt the same way about Elia Kazan, Jane Fonda and Vanessa Redgrave.

Back to people I like that maybe others do not so much: Teo Leoni (wish she would be in a good film again; it has been ages)

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I can see where you're coming from, @4EverBonded.

Unfortunately, and I hate to say it, but I kind of feel the same way about Sean Connery. His personal life dilutes his time as Bond, a little, for me. I still like all of his Bond films nonetheless, but for the man himself, I do not share those feelings.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    My favorite films of his have always been his dramatic work. I Am Legend is a brilliant piece
    Yes, and the alternate ending makes it ROCK!
    Also, I fully agree with your comment on most religions. If you need other folks to reinforce what you believe, then maybe you just WANT to believe.
    I say, believe it or not.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I consider the theatrical the "alternate" ending. The theatrical ending was so disappointing, but the other ending was fantastic.
    I consider the theatrical the "alternate" ending. The theatrical ending was so disappointing, but the other ending was fantastic.
    Right ON! =D>
    Right ON! =D>

I am unsure which ending you are both rooting for. Is it the one where
    Neville sacrifices himself to save the others?
    If so, I'm with you on the praise.

I am unsure which ending you are both rooting for. Is it the one where
    Neville sacrifices himself to save the others?
    If so, I'm with you on the praise.
    No, the one with no explosions.
    No, it's the one where
    The "alpha male" assaults the house looking for the female that Neville experimented on earlier. Neville sees that the "alpha male" just wants his mate back, and realizes he's been as much or more of a monster to them, and gives the female back to them. He then leaves with that woman (can't remember her name) and the kid and survives the film. The whole point is to show that the creatures have created their own society, and Neville and other survivors are the monsters that haunt them, instead of the other way around.
    No, it's the one where
    The "alpha male" assaults the house looking for the female that Neville experimented on earlier. Neville sees that the "alpha male" just wants his mate back, and realizes he's been as much or more of a monster to them, and gives the female back to them. He then leaves with that woman (can't remember her name) and the kid and survives the film. The whole point is to show that the creatures have created their own society, and Neville and other survivors are the monsters that haunt them, instead of the other way around.
    Yes, that's the one that makes you think. Re-access what you thought you (& Neville) knew.
    No, it's the one where
    Yes, that's the one that makes you think. Re-access what you thought you (& Neville) knew.

Interesting. I'll have to rewatch the film again soon with that ending in tow. I think there's an option where you can decide which ending to watch it with.
  • I haven't seen the non-theatrical ending of I Am Legend, but you guys are really making me want to seek it out now. If it's anywhere near as good as the ending to the novel, which is one of my favorite books, I'm there. Still, I don't think any ending, no matter how good, could make up for the abominable sub-Die Another Day CGI of the zombies. That was just so, so, so very bad.

Will Smith gave a good performance, though.
    Robert Shaw in Robin & Marian he is brilliant, Jaws & the Deep showed him as the one who lifted the movie to great levels. Black Sunday a brilliant but seemingly forgotten Terrorist movie as written originally by the writer of the Hannibal series.
    I haven't seen the non-theatrical ending of I Am Legend, but you guys are really making me want to seek it out now. If it's anywhere near as good as the ending to the novel
    Neither ending is the novel ending, but the non-theatrical is perhaps a tiny bit closer. The book has proved pretty unfilmable for some reason... even the old Last Man On Earth movie that Matheson scripted was changed around.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited September 2014 Posts: 13,879
    The Hoff- straight up Lej. He was awesome in Knight Rider/Baywatch, and doesn't deserve the hassel he gets.
  • lol 'hassel'
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Cruise, Travolta, ... Scientology is for those who can't or won't think for themselves. I hardly let it affect my appreciation of these actors' talents though. When I watched Ghost Protocol for the first time, I was impressed and not one second did I think about Cruise's private life.

QBranch wrote: »
    The Hoff- straight up Lej. He was awesome in Knight Rider/Baywatch, and doesn't deserve the hassel he gets.

I give him no hassel, I just wish he'd get Hoff my brother's TV every now and again. Knight Rider and Anaconda 3, his two favorite things.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    RIP Roy Scheider. You were great in The Punisher and Jaws.

Blue Thunder, 2010...
  • And don't forget Marathon Man, were he was quite the badass!

Me personally, I will agree with Tom Cruise (and Travolta for that matter)- their personal religion and arguable craziness as no effect on their good movies
  • If you have not seen it, i'd recommend The Seven-Ups. It's what The French Connection would have been like, if Scheider had been cast as the lead.

Great point on Roy and the two Philip D' Antoni films!

The Seven-Ups had a fabulous chase scene through New York. Some of the geography
    was off, but the way the scene ends is phenomenal.

Roy was a superb actor. His work in Marathon Man was also excellent. And not to mention Jaws. I was elated to have him as a narrator for a documentary that I produced. He managed to complete his readings in 70 minutes, even with some tough place names and other language to pronounce.

I miss him.
  • Kim Basinger
    Melanie Griffith

As actresses nobody seems to like them. The Razzie committee really has it in for them, and although I think both of them have had their highs and lows, they aren't bad actresses in my opinion.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I do like Melanie and she does not get a fair shake, I agree.
    Kim is okay, too. I think I prefer Melanie more.

• edited September 2014 Posts: 372
    I do like Melanie and she does not get a fair shake, I agree.
    Kim is okay, too. I think I prefer Melanie more.

Ahw, it's kinda nice to hear someone agree with me about Melanie Griffith. (:

Also, Nastassja Kinski. I love her, I think she's wonderful, but people seem to dislike her. I'm always reminded of that Letterman interview she did, and how he wasn't exactly impressed with her.