Eulogy to old MI6

Comments

• edited March 2011 Posts: 50
    Quoting TheWhiteTuxedo: A'ight. Is anyone seriously considering leaving?

I can't tell you how
    gutting this is. MI6 was a great place to hang. I thought the layout was
    perfect. Old software, fine. Update it. Keep the same general look. Not this
    facebook thing.
    All people wanted was fresh colours, maybe a change of font or something. If people wanted to go on Facebook, they'd go on FACEBOOK. What distinguished MI6 was the ease of use, not to mention the staggeringly good backlog of frickin' EPIC posts which are now gone forever, with the loyal members responsible for those thousands of posts/threads having been given no notice of their deletion whatsoever.

Way to show how much people's contributions are valued.
    This is way too depressing. It's like when your dog gets put to sleep...except that I've never owned a dog, but you get the idea.

R.I.P. MI6 Forums (2002-2011).
    And we get that - but a little warning? Coulda been nice.

What is your reply to the lack of warning? We all want to know.
  • retrokittyretrokitty The Couv
    Where's the quote button on this thing?

Anyway... Luds said:

Luds 1:00AM Permalink Flag
    Goodbye to all those moony stories

Yea... and on a more selfish note... I would have like to have saved the congrats messages for my engagement, wedding... the condolences when I lost Sundance... You know as well as anyone here that we share stuff here. Access should be given to the old forum even if it's just for a few weeks.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I still have a window page of the old MI6 that I never refreshed, so I screencapped and have it preserved via "save page" option. It was the last page of the MAN OF STEEL thread. Nothing great, it's all I have left of the once great forum:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/phoenixmb/mi61.png

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/phoenixmb/mi62.png

She was quite a site. Rest in peace.
    I understand completely and I have expressed such sentiments in other posts already. I understand you guys face a hell of a challenge and doing what you have done- and so well- for over a decade is commendable and a lot of hard work.

I just wish perhaps a heads up was in order, unless it was something that had to be done on the run. Although, it seems like the site was prepared for the transition so it had to be known. I understand the change, I am not against it. Like I said earlier, after all these years it is a breath of fresh air. Do I miss the old layout? You bet. But I'll live.

I just wish we had been given a heads up. Unless the circumstances prevented this. But, as mentioned before, what appears to be extensive preparations to get this version of the site ready seems that we were just kept in the dark.
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 202
    Removed by a moderator
  • Quoting MI6: You know, its not a decision we took lightly, and there were a lot of elements to a puzzle we've now completed - not just the old forums.

In part our frustration has been vented in the follow document http://www.mi6-hq.com/moved/ - in part there is a lot more to it.
    Is the old database at least saved somewhere? I can't imagine it was just thrown in the rubbish bin. :/
  • If you want my opinion -- I think the PTB knew going in that this change would be drastic enough to shake loose some of the "unwantables" in their eyes -- that certain people would reject it and just leave. And if you notice the whole new format isn't really conducive to stuff like the long photomontages and other frivolous non-Bond threads that I'm sure irked the mods and admins to no end -- even if they were what made the place worthwhile on a day to day basis when there was no Bond news to discuss.

For example, I can't even link to past posts (on the new site) at all, and you can't act like quoting is easy.
    Quoting TheWhiteTuxedo: s the old database at least saved somewhere? I can't imagine it was just thrown in the rubbish bin
    I headed on over to the site now. Looks like they nuked all the threads. So yep. Seems like it was just tossed away.
  • Ya know. My last post on that site was about the f-ing Star Wars prequels.

Hey, can we at least say bitch here?
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 114
    **** yeah!
    I hope my last post was about tits.

But I can't remember...
    It isn't conducive to ANYTHING, more like.
    It is not my fault the censor system doesn't work! The upgrade is faulty! And I am new I can't edit my post! Great scot! What shall I do!
  • Holy shit! No censor! (Just a strict terms of use agreement)
    Quoting Licence_To_Blog: I hope my last post was about tits
    I just laughed out loud in a room of about 2 dozen people. Great post of the new site.
  • retrokittyretrokitty The Couv
    Now I wish there were a like button for those posts (which i can't quote for lack of a quote button) from Tux and Moore.
  • Quoting Fairbairn-Sykes: If you want my opinion -- I think the PTB knew going in that this change would be drastic enough to shake loose some of the "unwantables" in their eyes -- that certain people would reject it and just leave. And if you notice the whole new format isn't really conducive to stuff like the long photomontages and other frivolous non-Bond threads that I'm sure irked the mods and admins to no end -- even if they were what made the place worthwhile on a day to day basis when there was no Bond news to discuss.

For example, I can't even link to past posts (on the new site) at all, and you can't act like quoting is easy.
    Quoting is nothing. Try navigating a thread with more than one page.
  • Quoting retrokitty: Now I wish there were a like button for those posts (which i can't quote for lack of a quote button) from Tux and Moore.
    Highlight the text.
  • Now it'll be rather difficult for a certain user to post thousands of thumbnails of pictures of certain models.

(wait, wait don't tell me THAT was this new format's raison d'etre...)
    Quoting retrokitty: Now I wish there were a like button for those posts (which i can't quote for lack of a quote button) from Tux and Moore.
    :p
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 202
    Removed by a moderator
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    The content at MI6Forums isn't gone. I was able to find all my old posts, and that way also able to access all the threads.

Try that @retrokitty :) I really understand how you feel about your wedding-related posts and such, and that's a shame.

Quoting DiscoVolante: The content at MI6Forums isn't gone. I was able to find all my old posts, and that way also able to access all the threads.
    She should have fun digging through a mess of 1500 pages of posts.
    How do I post pictures?
    blockquote>Quoting Licence_To_Blog:
    I hope my last post was about tits.

But I can't
    remember...

I think my last post said "18 minutes and counting..." in Tux's thread.

Good lord. Its like oblivion.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Yeah, that's a lot of pages to plow through. But at least it's all there to be revisited.
    Oh no, does this "twitterisation" mean David Arnold could find his way into here?

My sympathies to Kitts, BTW. Christ, I thought MY archive posts were personal to me.
  • I miss it very much already. "Keeping the British End Up" was more than a treasure trove of our thoughts, ideas, arguments, and creativity. It was an epoch of sorts... and now gone except in our memories. Not cool, not cool at all for the best and biggest discussion forum dedicated to the best and biggest film franchise to be wiped out like that.
This discussion has been closed.