Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

I watched DN with my son, taking my son with me through my memory lane. The first time I watched it was in 1962, as a university student.
    I watched DN with my son, taking my son with me through my memory lane. The first time I watched it was in 1962, as a university student.

That's cool; I like how some of us pass it on to our children, and the love for Bond continues.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited July 2014 Posts: 13,894
    See No Evil

600full-see-no-evil-poster.jpg
    Jacob Goodnight dry-shaves with an axe, but he's still no Jason.

I wanted to see this since it was announced that The Soska Sisters are directing the sequel (though I probably would have gotten around to seeing this film for itself at some point). Kane is an imposing presence, and there's a neat shot when we get our first proper look as him (when the lift doors open), but none of the characters are all that likeable, and the kills were routine. I'm still stoked up for the sequel, though.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @WillyGalore, I would love to have one of those. But even more interesting: self-drying clothes. :D
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @WillyGalore, I would love to have one of those. But even more interesting: self-drying clothes. :D
    Both are nice, but I want one of these! ;)
    2015_Fly_n_Series_movie_BTTF-2.jpg

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    'Black Christmas' (1974)

Started out strong but fluttered and weakened as it went along. The 'eerie' piano score that played everytime something remotely spooky or intense happened got old fast, it became a bit confusing (in terms of character locale) as it went on, wasn't as tense as I had hoped, and the main character was very unlikable.

But, having said all of those negatives, it did some things well: creative kills, the calls that are made throughout are way too creepy, the opening to the film was well done, and this is one of the first movies that constantly showcased the POV of the killer, something I've always wanted to see in a movie, and I thought I "knew" the twist, but the last few moments completely dispelled that, leaving me blown away. So, so creepy.
    Star trek 4 The one with the whales :)

Good light hearted fun, and some one reminded me the other day its a Star Trek film and what alone makes it good. Assuming you are fan, has some good moments. Being a life long fan have a great deal of affection to kirk and crew! maybe because it was my generation, though love even the bad stuff.
    I'm so glad you liked BX-mas '74, @Creasy47! :-) Some will argue it is the very first true slasher film, and I'm inclined to agree with that. The ingredients are in it. I have never considered TCM a true slasher film, only a precursor to the genre. Halloween, of course, is the first true hit in the genre. And F13, IMO, is the first film to fully exploit the genre elements. ;-)

@DarthDimi, absolutely! It's sitting with me more and more and I'm loving it more by the second. I think I may side with the director in saying that while 'Black Christmas' is indeed one of the first slasher flicks, it's a lot more psychological at the same time. I loved it.
    Gunga Din (1939), directed by George Stevens, starring Cary Grant, Victor McLaglen, Douglas Fairbanks Jr., Sam Jaffe. Silly and somewhat dated, but I found it quite entertaining. I didn't actually know beforehand that some of Indiana Jones and The Temple Of Doom was based on this, but it was obvious when watching, and that, to me, was pretty interesting, too.

Indiscreet (1958), starring Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman... so I thought it might be worth watching. Well, it wasn't. I found it tedious and boring with forced "romance".
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 2,107
    Stranger Than Fiction

Very interesting movie from our Bond director Marc Forster. Gone are the days he made these kind of movies. After QoS he has devoded his talents to movies like World War Z. This movie also has one of those dramatic roles for the funny man Will Farrell. Like Bill Murray, I think Will can also shine in the more dramatic roles.

5/5
    Quantum of Solace just now! Certainly one of the most underrated Bond flicks.
    Curse Of The Pink Panther (1983)

Curse_of_the_Pink_Panther_33581_Medium.jpg

If you think George Lucas only makes films when he needs money, think again. What was Blake Edwards thinking? He had already made a Pink Panther film with little scraps of material left on the cutting room floor two films before, now he made yet another Clouseau film without Clouseau - well, sort of. Look, Peter Sellers had gone a few years before this film. So Ted Wass was brought in to play an American inspector-troublemaker. Herbert Lom is still around. And guess who else: David Niven! He too would pass away soon; they even had to dub his voice lest no-one understood what he was saying. Capucine, Robert Wagner and a few other regulars and semi-regulars stick around too. Even Robert Loggia is in this one again. But why? There's hardly any story to be told. The Pink Panther is still stolen, old jokes are still being rehashed and Peter Sellers is still not coming back from the dead. I don't know what's more foolhardy: trying to reboot a dead PC or making yet another Pink Panther film without Clouseau and with a barely standing David Niven. If Edwards thought he was coasting on a lot of goodwill from the first couple of Pink Panther films, he was instead damaging the entire series. Did I mention this film isn't funny?

Only one thing, besides the kind of completism from which I'm suffering, could urge you to watch Curse Of The Pink Panther, and that is a nice treat for us, Bond fans, which I'm not going to spoil even if I strongly recommend you don't watch this film.

And there's more to come. Son of The Pink Panther. I mean, really? Somehow I *fear* I might actually like the Steve Martin remake after the films I'm watching now.

A Shot In The Dark: 5/5
    The Pink Panther: 5/5
    Revenge Of The Pink Panther: 4/5
    Inspector Clouseau: 4/5
    The Pink Panther Strikes Again: 4/5
    The Return Of The Pink Panther: 3,5/5
    Curse Of The Pink Panther: 1/5
    Trail Of The Pink Panther: - / 5
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Tuulia wrote: »
    Gunga Din (1939), directed by George Stevens, starring Cary Grant, Victor McLaglen, Douglas Fairbanks Jr., Sam Jaffe. Silly and somewhat dated, but I found it quite entertaining. I didn't actually know beforehand that some of Indiana Jones and The Temple Of Doom was based on this, but it was obvious when watching, and that, to me, was pretty interesting, too.

Indiscreet (1958), starring Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman... so I thought it might be worth watching. Well, it wasn't. I found it tedious and boring with forced "romance".

It has been too long since I have seen both of these. But I do remember that, although it is dated, I was touched by Gunga Din ... and annoyed by the silly Indiscreet. Indiscreet was dated in its own way and just ... irritating throughout.

But do continue with your Cary films - he made some true gems, and he is for sure one of the all time greats.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2014 Posts: 13,894
    @DarthDimi - Call me crazy, but CURSE and SON are amongst the series' best opening titles, and SON isn't that bad, as a whole. It's not a patch on SHOT or RETURN, but better than TRAIL and the two Steve Martin films (I would rather Clouseau-less films than than someone else in the role). I understand you're feeling towards TRAIL, though. Could that film have been any more of a blatant cash? I think not.
    @MajorDSmythe

I will finish SON today and I might get to the Steve Martins too. We'll see if I agree. :-)
    I actually liked both Steven Martin's panther films. Even though he's no Sellers and not even among my favorite comedians. I also liked Inspector Clouseau when I saw it earlier this year. Many people seem not to rate that movie very high either.

Anyway, I watched Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom for the first time this year. Not a bad Indy film (then again none of them are. Yes, even KOTCS isn't as bad as many people rate it. In my opinion, that is), but the next one is better if not the best Indy film.

3,5/5 (same as KOTCS)
    Son Of The Pink Panther (1993)

Son_of_the_Pink_Panther_stills_33616.jpg

Why would a diamond have a son? Okay, don't worry, I won't get worked up over that. ;-)

A decade after the cursed production of Curse Of The Pink Panther, Edwards tried to relaunch the famous series as an inevitable consequence of his career going down fast. He drummed up Herbert Lom, Claudia Cardinale (this time playing Elke Sommers' character from A Shot In The Dark, not her own from The Pink Panther... still with me?), Burt Kwouk and Graham Stark. He also brought in Roberto Benigni as the titular son. Then there's Robert Davi, Debrah Farentino, ... and who cares? Anyone who's ever seen Tropical Heat or Acapulco H.E.A.T. or Baywatch Nights, will see what they're doing here. They're mixing up two totally unmatchable types of storytelling, on the one hand some exotic crime plot involving kidnapping and adultery, on the other hand the clumsy French policeman on his bike. I never laughed even once, not even smiled. I was in perennial WTF!? mode when watching this stupid film. This is the third abysmal Panther film in a row. Can't believe I'm saying this but I really think that the Steve Martin films may come as a beacon of light. Truthfully, they can't be worse than this, now can they?

A Shot In The Dark: 5/5
    The Pink Panther: 5/5
    Revenge Of The Pink Panther: 4/5
    Inspector Clouseau: 4/5
    The Pink Panther Strikes Again: 4/5
    The Return Of The Pink Panther: 3,5/5
    Curse Of The Pink Panther: 1/5
    Son Of The Pink Panther: 1/5
    Trail Of The Pink Panther: - / 5
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 2,107
    I didn't even finish Son. It was that bad. At least the Martin films were fun to watch.

There's even a (another) Bond joke in the panther films. Won't give it away, but it involves an actor who was once rumoured to follow Brosnan as the next 007, before Dan got the gig.
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 2,081
    Tuulia wrote: »

It has been too long since I have seen both of these. But I do remember that, although it is dated, I was touched by Gunga Din ... and annoyed by the silly Indiscreet. Indiscreet was dated in its own way and just ... irritating throughout.

But do continue with your Cary films - he made some true gems, and he is for sure one of the all time greats.

I guess we agree on those 2 films, and yes, I intend to continue. He's wonderful, and something like, say, North By Northwest just never gets old. :x

Desperate Hours (1955), based on the play, based on the novel, based on actual events, starring Humphrey Bogart as the leader of escaped convicts who invade a home and hold the family hostage. Can't say I liked this - frankly, I was slightly bored. I haven't seen the 1990 remake.

To Have And Have Not (1944), directed by Howard Hawks, based (a bit, anyway) on the Hemingway novel, starring Humphrey Bogart, Lauren Bacall, Walter Brennan, Hoagy Carmichael. I haven't read the book, nor seen the Michael Curtiz film that is said to be more faithful to the book. I enjoyed this one, and the similarities to Casablanca didn't bother me. This was Bacall's first movie (I think she looks much older than 19) - she was good here, and no surprise she became a star. She and Bogart also fell in love while making this film (and later married and were together until his death in 1957). Walter Brennan was adorable in this (and btw, his Stumpy was my favorite character in Rio Bravo). I need to get some Hoagy in my cd collection, too. :)
    @Tuulia
    To Have And Have Not is an incredible film! I think Bacall and Bogey have true chemistry together. You must see their other three films too! The Big Sleep and Dark Passage are equally as good in my book and Key Largo is a strong film as well. Bogey is one of my favourite actors. The only thing I hold against him, is that he didn't have much praise for Audrey Hepburn in Sabrina, when she was like an angel in that film. ;-) Other than that, Bogey's never let me down. Sirocco is perhaps the only film of his I care slightly less about. That doesn't mean it's not good though. ;-)

I've seen 20 of Bogey's films by now and I can't seem to grow tired of the man. Casablanca is still my favourite though. They Drive By Night one of the lesser ones but that's because Bogey plays only a secondary part in that film. :-)

Excellent choices, Tuules! :-)
    @DarthDimi
    Yes, To Have And Have Not is great. I recently watched The Big Sleep and Dark Passage, and Key Largo is on its way to me from a nearby library. :) I've seen it before, but it's been a few years (as it was with The Big Sleep), so... That couple were wonderful together, right from the start. Just goes to show that age is just a number.
    edited August 2014 Posts: 40,470
    'American Psycho'

Fantastic film that never gets old. Bale is superb in this, and the events that transpire are hard to describe yet simply eerie to the point that you can't stop watching. Great supporting cast, directing, writing, all of it is wonderful. I'd love to sit down and finally read Ellis' novel to compare the two. Patrick Bateman is one complex, dark character.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    "Stephen King's The Dead Zone"

Great suspenseful character driven film. The story was compelling and seeing Walken as Johnny Smith come to terms with his abilities and watching him debate his morals makes for great tension. All the cast put on great performances.
    'The Matador'

One of my favorite films of Brosnan's, he plays a foul-mouthed, sex-crazed, alcohol-and-cigarette addicted aging hitman who is well past his prime. He finds new hope in the assistance of a new friend, played by Greg Kinnear. This is one hilarious film, and the chemistry and dialogue in it is wonderful. I can't recommend this enough.
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 2,081
    Birdleson wrote: »
    All excellent films, except maybe DARK PASSAGE, which is still very good. It's just an obvious attempt to cash in on some of the others.

Yes, I thought Dark Passage was good (definitely worth seeing, and I enjoyed it), but not great. To Have And Have Not and The Big Sleep are great. I don't remember Key Largo well enough to comment on that, yet. :)

Sylvia Scarlett (1935), directed by George Cukor, starring Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant - the first of their 4 films together. The sexual politics and confusions of this film were ahead of its time, and it's funny to think now that a quick kiss from a pretty woman to Hepburn's character (a young woman pretending to be a boy and dressed in men's clothes) would actually cause people to walk out, or that other stuff that seems harmless and innocent now was considered offending and scandalous then. It would have been interesting to see what the film would have been like had they gone with the original, even riskier script - apparently the director later felt it would have been a better. (Or maybe there would have been riots then and the movie would have been destroyed.) A flop at the time, more appreciated later on. Not great, but it isn't bad, either.

The African Queen (1951), directed by John Houston, starring Humphrey Bogart and Katharine Hepburn. Bogart got his only Oscar for this - and he sure was wonderful - Hepburn, director and screenplay also received nominations. I hadn't seen this film in years, and it was fun watching it again.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    'American Psycho'

Fantastic film that never gets old. Bale is superb in this, and the events that transpire are hard to describe yet simply eerie to the point that you can't stop watching. Great supporting cast, directing, writing, all of it is wonderful. I'd love to sit down and finally read Ellis' novel to compare the two. Patrick Bateman is one complex, dark character.

I saw it for the first time a few months ago and I must say I wasn't impressed. Maybe I'll try to watch it again some other year - sometimes I change my mind about movies one way or another.

Son of Panther was better than those Sellers-ploitations that followed shortly after he died ("Curse" and "Trail") , they honestly weren't better than Game of Death '78 (which also exploited the main star)
    'Grand Piano'

This was one tense film. I had no clue how it would end and it most certainly didn't disappoint. Very interesting, indeed. The piano work was beautiful throughout, Cusack was great as a villain once again, and Wood played the role of a nervous yet talented piano protege very well. The CGI/green screen was pretty bad in certain parts, and I was surprised to see it end containing twelve minutes of credits, making it only 78 minutes long, which is a rather short film. Still, for that running time, it was very entertaining.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Guardians of the galaxy 9/10

A great and fun movie.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    'Grand Piano'

This was one tense film. I had no clue how it would end and it most certainly didn't disappoint. Very interesting, indeed. The piano work was beautiful throughout, Cusack was great as a villain once again, and Wood played the role of a nervous yet talented piano protege very well. The CGI/green screen was pretty bad in certain parts, and I was surprised to see it end containing twelve minutes of credits, making it only 78 minutes long, which is a rather short film. Still, for that running time, it was very entertaining.

I thought that you would like it, @Creasy47. I enjoyed it, despite a few small gripes.