Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome. I was actually checking out the disk for picture clarity and got hooked into watching the whole movie. Strange though, I actually didn't enjoy it as much as the last couple of times... I felt like the humour was a bit too forced. The biggest gripe was when Max gave up his arms at the gate- he actually didn't pull THAT much stuff out, but it was edited to extend it for the gag, with added 'plunk-down' sound effects. That's shoddy.
    A fun but unnecessary film, in the end. 3.5/5

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @MajorDSmythe, it was a nice little thriller, albeit short. What were your gripes with it?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2014 Posts: 13,894
    Clem (Cusack) makes it clear that he can see every move that Selzick (Wood) can make, yet, when Selznick has the phone with him, on the bench seat, he leans over and looks at the screen, Clem doesn't question this. If my memory serves me, it's not until Selznick drops the phone on the floor, that Clem gets suspicious.

And wouldn't Selznick have used the pedals on the Piano at some point?

Otherwise, I did enjoy it. Currently, Grand Piano is sitting just outside my Cusack top 10.
    Clem (Cusack) makes it clear that he can see every move that Selzick (Wood) can make, yet, when Selznick has the phone with him, on the bench seat, he leans over and looks at the screen, Clem doesn't question this. If my memory serves me, it's not until Selznick drops the phone on the floor, that Clem gets suspicious.

And wouldn't Selznick have used the pedals on the Piano at some point?

Otherwise, I did enjoy it. Currently, Grand Piano is sitting just outside my Cusack top 10.
    I think when Clem says that, he just means that he has eyes on them, not that he has eyes in every direction. Once Selznick realizes this, he utilizes the left side of his body to do all the texting/calling and whatnot. It does seem rather suspicious, though, and Clem should've known he was lying when he said something about his watch, since he doesn't even lift his right hand.

Most people pointed out on the IMDB forums the lack of pedals. Seems he got away with it somehow! I thought the ending was nicely done, but felt very awkward in its pacing. I guess I focused on the running time, so I didn't think it would end with Clem's death there, but then he dies and I noticed there was still 15-20 minutes left, so then I started wondering if maybe Tom and his wife were in on it or there was another big twist to be revealed, but he just plays the piano once more, unlocks it, gets the key, and then we cue 12 whole minutes of credits.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I didn't watch the credits to the end, but they're really that long? It not as if it was a big Hollywood blockbuster.
    I didn't watch the credits to the end, but they're really that long? It not as if it was a big Hollywood blockbuster.

A little over 12 minutes long, and nothing happens in them. I'm actually interested in going back and fast forwarding through them to find out why a low budget thriller needed its credits to last that long.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The Pink Panther (2006)

movieposter.jpg?v=50fcf980

Okay, I won't spend too much time on this because I'm going to upset some people. ;-) Fact is, after that terrible post-sellers trilogy of madness I had to endure, this Steve Martin reboot actually feels like a refreshment. Well shot, well scored, interesting cast - you can't go wrong with Kline, Reno, Mortimer - and most of the jokes work for me. Martin is his own version of Clouseau, of course, and he's neither Sellers nor Arkin (who I did like) but he walks through this film fairly unscathed. The final twist of the film came as an unexpected surprise for me, but I won't spoil it. ;-)

A Shot In The Dark: 5/5
    The Pink Panther: 5/5
    Revenge Of The Pink Panther: 4/5
    Inspector Clouseau: 4/5
    The Pink Panther Strikes Again: 4/5
    The Pink Panther 2006: 3,5/5
    The Return Of The Pink Panther: 3,5/5
    Curse Of The Pink Panther: 1/5
    Son Of The Pink Panther: 1/5
    Trail Of The Pink Panther: - / 5
    edited August 2014 Posts: 40,492
    'Raw Deal' (1986)

I know a lot of people don't like it, but I find this to be one of Schwarzenegger's most underrated films of the 80's. It's not as action-packed as, say, 'Commando,' but it gets the job done. Excellent opening, and the rest of the film is spent watching Schwarzenegger infiltrate the mafia, and the last 20 minutes are non-stop action, with one intense finale that sheds a lot of blood and doesn't disappoint. The blu-ray quality is surprisingly excellent, too.

@Tuulia, I'm the same way: I've seen films I've loved, revisited them, and grown to hate them, and vice versa. Perhaps the same can happen to you when you rewatch 'American Psycho.'

'Mad Max' (1979)

This was the first time I've ever seen it, and what an entertaining film it was. Lots of good chase scenes and car crashes, and it's fun watching a young, revenge-driven Max take out the men responsible for the loss of his loved ones. I haven't looked into these films much before, but I expected the film to be more of an apocalyptic wasteland type of movie. Does that come along in the two sequels or something? Either way, I'd like to get my hands on the other two to watch sometime soon.
  • @Creasy47 Yeah the sequels are more apocalyptic. If you liked the first one you'll love the second. The first film is pretty good but the second film is amazing. One of my favourite films of all time.
    Just been watching a bit of the original Judge Dredd with Sly on Sky Movies. Loved it as a teenager but now its just hilariously cheesy.
    The Pink Panther 2 (2009)

126941-ml-218272.jpg

The success of the previous film ensured a sequel and one I feel is rather enjoyable too though offering nothing new. Cleese is a fine replacement for Kline and he actually brings a little more of Herbert Lom to the game. Garcia, Molina and Irons are quite enjoyable too. But the Clouseau comedy wears off pretty quickly.

A Shot In The Dark: 5/5
    The Pink Panther: 5/5
    Revenge Of The Pink Panther: 4/5
    Inspector Clouseau: 4/5
    The Pink Panther Strikes Again: 4/5
    The Pink Panther 2006: 3,5/5
    The Return Of The Pink Panther: 3,5/5
    The Pink Panther 2: 3/5
    Curse Of The Pink Panther: 1/5
    Son Of The Pink Panther: 1/5
    Trail Of The Pink Panther: - / 5

It's over! Finally. Well I enjoyed the series for the most part but think not much of about half of it. The first two films are great IMO, the Arkin and later Sellers' ones were fine, the Martin ones are okay but the 3 post-Sellers films by Edwards are an insult.

• edited August 2014 Posts: 2,081
    Gambit (2012), starring Colin Firth, Alan Rickman and Cameron Diaz. I have always liked Firth and Rickman, but even they can't save this. And I've never liked Diaz in anything as far as I can remember - if she can act I've yet to see it, and I don't think she's even remotely pretty, either (though I've heard some think otherwise). The film was basically waste of time for me.

Zodiac (2007), directed by David Fincher (which is why I decided to watch it), starring Jake Gyllenhaal, Robert Downey Jr, Mark Ruffalo. I wasn't familiar with the real events, and apparently they tried hard to make it as accurate as possible. I appreciated the effort and found the story told in the movie very interesting.

Alice Adams (1935), directed by George Stevens, starring Katharine Hepburn in the title role. I guess it says a lot about the times and how women were perceived that Sylvia Scarlett from the same year and with the same female lead was hated by audiences at the time and was a flop, while this was popular and even got critical acclaim, including Academy Award nominations for best film and best actress. :-O Ugh. Well, I thought it was bloody awful, and the main character - and Hepburn as her - irritated the hell out of me.

BAIN123 wrote: »
    Just been watching a bit of the original Judge Dredd with Sly on Sky Movies. Loved it as a teenager but now its just hilariously cheesy.
    I still love it BECAUSE it's hilariously cheesy!
    I prefer the Karl Urban film.
    edited August 2014 Posts: 40,492
    @thelivingroyale, I'll have to watch the second one soon, off your recommendation. It sucks because the latter two aren't on Netflix Instant, but the first is, so it's always hard for me to sit down and watch a movie on my computer because I constantly pause it to mess around on the computer.

'The Raid 2' (2014)

Watched it for the umpteenth time, and it doesn't get old. One of the greatest action films I've ever seen, with a lovely blend of unique fight sequences and proper drama/character development. The fights somehow get better and better and better, and I don't see the finale being topped by 'The Raid 3' in the future, nor any other action film anytime soon. But, I've been wrong in the past, so time will tell. Very heavily recommended.
    A double bill.

"We need to talk about Kevin" My goodness it is a hard watch but compelling if you stick with it. Have not read the book but my word Tilda Swinton is simply outstanding throughout!

Next up.

"One Chance" Not sure when my mate gave me this to borrow regarding the true story of the X Factor winner? But it was hilarious to us and enjoyed James Corden as Paul Potts and McKenzie Crook as his boss! :-bd
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    chrisisall wrote: »
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I still love it BECAUSE it's hilariously cheesy!

I like Both movies but I prefer the Stallone film. Urban is the better Dredd but Dredd 3D didn't feel very futuristic to me. Mega City One just looked like a regular city. But in the 1995 film you could believe it. The visual atmosphere and music worked.
    On The Waterfront (1954)

on_the_waterfront.jpg

I'm speechless. Wonderful film. Brando, Cobb, Steiger, Saint, ... Tremendous cast, fabulous acting - that car scene sent cold chills down my spine!

In utter awe, I recommend this film to everyone.
    Godfather Part II!!! Excellent. I know it's supposed to be the weakest one by far, but I'm excited to see how it ends in Part III.
    Murdock wrote: »
    But in the 1995 film you could believe it. The visual atmosphere and music worked.
    Agreed.

The Philadephia story - A brilliant cast that makes this romantic comedy a must see with dialogue that is funny, snappy and sheer brilliance.

Guess who comes to dinner - Katharine Hepburn in this movie about interracial relationships and hypocrisy, still a very actual movie in subject. Spencer Tracy is beyond brilliant.

Entrapment - A lovely heist movie with a gorgeous Zeta Jones and a wigged an charming Connery, the end is wee bit of a letdown.

Swordfish - Travolta, Halle Berry & Wolverine in an actual quite entertaining heist movie with some sensational set-pieces. Very enjoyable albeit forgettable movie.

National Lampoon's Animal House - comedy on the campus, and it does not matter how many times I have seen this movie it keeps me laughing. John Belushi is a major star in it. The humor is pure anarchy but fun.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Godfather Part II!!! Excellent. I know it's supposed to be the weakest one by far, but I'm excited to see how it ends in Part III.

I don't know where you've got that from. Godfather Part II is widely recognised as the best of the trilogy. III is the weakest.
    Yeah I agree. Godfather Pt.II is widely recognised as one of those rare sequels that actually improve on the first film.
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    Bus Stop
    Jurassic Park
    Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
    FoxRox wrote: »

I don't know where you've got that from. Godfather Part II is widely recognised as the best of the trilogy. III is the weakest.

No I was saying in my third sentence that Godfather Part 3 was supposed to be the weakest. But personally anyway I prefer the first over the second by a little.
    I have a lot of appreciation for the rare sequel that is better than its predecessor, such as 'The Terminator 2,' 'The Godfather: Part II,' and 'The Raid 2.'
    My Son & I just did a mini marathon of fighting-the-aliens movies (he's 15 now and I figure he's old enough): Predator, Predator 2 & Aliens. Funny, I thought he'd like Aliens the best, but he kind liked both Predator movies more... and on a humorous note- in Predator 2 when the scene came around with the guy & girl in the penthouse making whoopie before the drug gang showed up, he looked at me with his Terminator stare and asked, "Is this 'R' or 'X'? :))
    I like that, @chrisisall! Will you show your boy Predators? I like that one very much.
    @DarthDimi, no, next up is AVP. Hey- your hair is standing on end-
    Come on, it was fun, and that's all he really wants. ;)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    On The Waterfront (1954)

on_the_waterfront.jpg

I'm speechless. Wonderful film. Brando, Cobb, Steiger, Saint, ... Tremendous cast, fabulous acting - that car scene sent cold chills down my spine!

In utter awe, I recommend this film to everyone.

Indeed. One of the best films ever made. Superlative acting (and yes, Brando was supremely gifted; all of that gift is on display in this film). I always recommend this film, too.
    I remember having a friend over years ago and it was his first viewing. He wasn't much into older films. But after it finished, he turned to me and thanked me and said it was amazing. It's the kind of film that has scenes that really stay with you. Filmmaking and storytelling at its finest.