Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    dalton wrote: »
    I think that 300: Rise of an Empire is really only worth viewing a single time @Creasy47, if it's even worth that much, simply for Eva Green. Not saying it because she's been in one of the better Bond films of late, but she really is the only redeeming quality the film has. She's rather entertaining in the film, and she and her villain are completely wasted on an almost non-existant story and lame effects.

I don't know if I can muster up the interest to even afford it a single viewing. Tried online, but it's hard for me to pay attention to a movie on a computer, for some reason. I guess I constantly pause and search other sites if a film isn't entertaining enough, as opposed to laying down and watching it on TV, and I really don't feel like spending money to rent it.
    I definitely wouldn't go out of the way to see it, that's for certain. If, and that's a pretty big if as there were times I almost reached for the remote, it's worth viewing at all, it's for Eva Green. Take Eva Green out of the film and what's left is one of the worst films to come along in quite a while, which is really saying something as we're not exactly living in the golden age of cinema right now anyway. ;)
    edited July 2014 Posts: 40,473
    That definitely is saying something. Maybe in the future I'll have one of those boring days where I feel like renting a bunch of movies from Redbox, like I've done in the past. Until then, my ever growing 'To Watch' list needs to be shortened just a bit. I got 'Above The Law' on blu-ray in the mail a few days ago, so I'm rewatching that now. Watched it so much when I was younger, and I haven't seen it in a good ten years or so. Very nostalgic.
    The Thing (2012).
    Superman/Batman Apocolypse.
    Star Trek 6 Special edition.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Robin And Marian

robin-and-marian.jpg

Richard Lester's Robin And Marian has stuff to enjoy. Sean Connery, Robert Shaw, Audrey Hepburn, Denholm Elliott, Ian Holm, Richard Harris and a John Barry score. Other than that, I'm afraid I'm not a big fan. To be frank, I think every generation has its Robin Hood film and mine was Costner's. Say what you will, I like that one infinitely better than this 1976 movie, though I accept the fact they're essentially two different stories. Still, I find the love story serviceable but not great, the ending almost non-climactic and the acting pretty generic. The film was pretty cheap, even for its time, and it shows. What should be epic feels at best like a repetition before a stage play. I have two conflicting biases here. One the one hand, Audrey. She's a shining example of how women of plus or minus 50 can still look very lovely. On the other hand, there's Lester. I don't like Lester. Superman III is the reason for that. Makes no sense, I know, but I can't help it. ;-)

Overall, the film leaves me with a "meh" impression. I wanted to watch it as I'm watching all of Audrey's films - only three more to go - but I'm hardly amused by it. Would have been a good pilot to a TV series; but not the best film I've seen these past couple of days though. I wish I could have loved Robin And Marian; alas, I can't.

Just to say that I agree with you. I thought Audrey was lovely and had fine acting in this ... however, I found the film so sad and upsetting. I really, really did not like this story. I doubt I'll ever watch it again.

But all the rest of Audrey's? Yes. Though I can do without seeing Speilberg's pic, Always (that is meh for me). I think that Audrey from the beginning of her big screen roles (Roman Holiday) through the sixties is all a wonderful treat - splendid films, great acting, sparkling, charisma in abundance, outstanding leading men and supporting actgors, fine directors, and good stories.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 2,081
    @Creasy47, well, Wild Target didn't make me laugh. *shrug* It wasn't bad, but somehow just didn't quite work for me as it should have.

Dark Passage (1947) with Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall. I most enjoyed the first part of the movie; the first-person camera was well used and I was fascinated by when we'd actually get to see, and not just hear, Bogart (the best paid movie star at the time). Eventually (maybe about a third into the movie), we did. Not a great movie, but a good one, and I liked it. It was also lovely to see some of it actually shot on location in the wonderful San Francisco.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    A Shot In The Dark (1964)

screenshot1lk9.png

My favourite Clouseau movie. Ah yes! Such great music, thank you Mr. Mancini, such great acting... and the lovely Elke Sommer.

a-shot-in-the-dark-peter-sellers-elke-sommer-1964.jpg
    (Deadlier Than The Male anyone? ;-))
    'Above The Law' (1988)

Steven Seagal's first film, and one of his earliest three that I watched over and over and over again when I was a kid. Some of it was nostalgic, other parts, I couldn't remember at all. Definitely wasn't as action-packed as I recall, and the plot is a bit confusing here and there, but he most certainly delivers as much as he could with his best films of the late 80's/early 90's, and I love it. Not as great as 'Out For Justice,' but it's still very good. Hoping to pick up 'Marked For Death' at some point soon.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited July 2014 Posts: 17,691
    IMHO, Marked For Death is his finest serious effort, with On Deadly Ground being his greatest OTT cheese.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    IMHO, Marked For Death is his finest serious effort, with On Deadly Ground being his greatest OTT cheese.

Have you seen 'Out For Justice'? It's special to me, I used to watch it on repeat and re-enact the scenes with my toy guns. It was too entertaining to me.
    edited July 2014 Posts: 23,547
    Inspector Clouseau (1968)

600px-IC3_06.jpg

I was ready to hate this film but I won't. No Edwards, no Sellers, but Alan Arkin doesn't let me down. Sure, it's a very different film from the previous two and with a very different Clouseau altogether, but there are laughs, good laughs even, and some pretty charming moments. I had expected a lot worse from Inspector Clouseau. Perhaps that's why, almost by surprise, I like it as much as I do. ;-)

A Shot In The Dark: 5/5
    The Pink Panther: 5/5
    Inspector Clouseau: 4/5

I think that Audrey from the beginning of her big screen roles (Roman Holiday) through the sixties is all a wonderful treat - splendid films, great acting, sparkling, charisma in abundance, outstanding leading men and supporting actgors, fine directors, and good stories.

@4EverBonded, so true! She was lucky when it comes to her leading men. Think about it: Gregory Peck, William Holden, Humphrey Bogart (who reportedly didn't like Audrey very much ;-)), Fred Astaire, Gary Cooper (whom I didn't like in Love In The Afternoon - did he have teeth in that film?), Burt Lancaster, Anthony Perkins, Rex Harrisson, George Peppard, ... But, despite so much male strength, Audrey not once loses grip on the film. She's in command of her every performance. Even Capote had to agree, after Breakfast At Tiffany's was completed, that Audrey understood the character he had written as well as he did.

'The only bad thing I can say about Audrey - the only thing - is that she smoked.' (Jeffrey Banks)

I first saw her in Breakfast At Tiffany's, and I was intrigued. Then I saw her in Roman Holiday, and I fell in love. Then I saw her in Sabrina, and I was in heaven. Star-struck by Audrey... even in 2014 that is perfectly possible. ;-)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Oh yeah, I seen all the early ones!
    Birdleson wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Yeah I'm excited for Godfather Part II (should be able to watch soon), but I've heard bad things about the third. Might just skip out. But the first would definitely rank among the best/my favorite films that I've ever seen.

The first two are, along with CITIZEN KANE and CASABLANCA, the finest american films ever made. GODFATHER PART III was made over a decade after the other three and is not anywhere close to the same caliber. There are moments where the old magic starts to come through, but they don't last very long.

I would say along with Chinatown. But then, we can keep adding to that list, can't we? :)

Makes my top fifteen, that's for sure.

Haven't seen Citizen Kane yet (am interested though), but The Godfather would probably rank in my Top 20 films of all time. It's simply excellent, and there aren't any issues at all that made it suffer IMO.
    Not my favorite (probably would rank it around 5), but the only perfect film, one where I wouldn't change even the smallest detail, is THE WIZARD OF OZ (1939).

Ah yes The Wizard of Oz is another excellent classic, which I just re-watched for the first time in years about a week ago. It's definitely among the best movies ever; it's just astounding how timeless and entertaining it is for all ages.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 11,189
    The Untouchables

Sean?? Noooooooo :((

Entertaining gangster thriller directed by Brian DePalma and starring Connery, Kevin Costner Andy Gracia and Robert DeNiro. Costner is ok but Connery gives the most charismatic performance by far* - despite his dodgy Irish/Scottish accent. DePalma's direction is possibly the strongest aspect of this film, especially the scene's featuring Malone's death, Capone's random killing at the dinner table and the famous nod to Battleship Potempkin.

I think the film could have benefited from a few more scenes with Capone but overall it was better than I remembered. Ennio Morricone's score is very effective too.

8/10

*as enjoyable as he was I'm not sure his performance was Oscar-worthy.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 12,837
    @DarthDimi I think Connery is the best Robin Hood and that Robin and Marion is a great film but I agree, the 90s one is my favourite too. It's silly (Robin reckons he can get from Dover to Nottingham in a day by walking along Hadrians wall, and in an era where they used **** to help build houses, Robin and his men manage to build a whole little town up in the trees with no resources apart from the forest around them), and Costner is pretty crap, but it's fun, mainly thanks to Alan Rickman. He's brilliant. He steals the whole film.
    The Return of the Pink Panther (1975)

The_Return_of_the_Pink_Panther_poster.jpg

There's stuff in this to enjoy but I regret to say most of that does not revolve around Clouseau. Christopher Plummer has a lot more to do in the film, stuff that actually matters. And every now and then we spend some time with Sellers and Catherine Schell on the other side of the globe, where more of the same jokes get hurled toward us. I otherwise consider myself a fan of Sellers' but in this film he gets so little to do and especially so little 'new' stuff to do, it's a serious let-down for me. The DVD box claims that this film is hailed as the funniest in the series. I beg to differ. I must give it credit for the amazing opening titles though. And the actual Pink Panther storyline is amusing enough in and by itself.

The Return Of The Pink Panther: 3,5/5
    @DarthDimi. You've got my favourite in the whole series next to come. :-)
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Finally had some time left and watched "Need For Speed" last night. Great movie, specially the races, of course, in which reminded me a lot of the the game series itself. Well played.

need_for_speed_ver2.jpg
    The Pink Panther Strikes Again (1976)

t14923.jpg

I think this is a funnier Pink Panther film compared to The Return, but still not on the level of the first two films. Some interesting moments though, with plenty of references to film classics, and a lovely Lesley-Anne Down. The 'climax' is the weakest part of the film for me. Also, by now we get more of the same stuff again and over and over again. Cato, Dreyfus, Clouseau's masquerades, ... But for the most part it still works.

The Pink Panther Strikes Again: 4/5
    Peter Sellers as Clouseau? Priceless and timeless laughter for me! :)) Absolutely love those Pink Panther movies. They should never have remade it with Steve Martin IMHO.
    Revenge Of The Pink Panther (1978)

Revenge_of_the_pink_panther_ver4.jpg

Now now, here's a Pink Panther film I really enjoyed a great deal more than the previous two. The jokes worked better for me, I actually cared a little bit more about the plot this time and Sellers just sells me on the part like he did in the first two films. Too bad this was the last film in the series with Sellers still alive.

Revenge Of The Pink Panther: 4/5
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I just want to say how I love the Pink Panther films, DarthDimi. :)
    My favorite is A Shot in the Dark, near tie like yours with the original. I enjoyed Return of the Pink Panther a bit more than you. I need to see Strikes Again because I don't remember it. I'll see about rectifying that soon. It's a fun series.
    @4EverBonded, Well, here's the next on my list.

Trail of the Pink Panther (1982)

51xMnmphwwL._SS500_.jpg
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51xMnmphwwL._SS500_.jpg

See the image above? (If not, follow the link.) Okay, Peter Sellers had died after Revenge Of The Pink Panther. Blade Edwards, in need of a new project, decided to take about 20 minutes of cut footage from a few films ago and expand those into a - I'm not fooling you - 90 minute motion picture. So how do you do that? Well, we start with an opening scene of someone stealing the Pink Panther once more, a little like how Return Of The Pink Panther opened, only this time absolutely uninspiring, over before it's begun and... a plot point which we shall never address again in the entire movie! Then we have the credits and the rest of the first half an hour of this film is built on those 20 minutes of archive footage. Of course it's quite an incoherent mess. Then... oh my!... could it be that Clouseau has died? Well, fact is we now introduce a reporter who's going to keep us busy for the next hour. She will turn this film into a boring-as-hell documentary about Clouseau. She'll literally just talk to people. She'll talk to Clouseau's father, a totally unfunny character that wouldn't even have been accepted into the 'Allo Allo' sitcom. She'll talk to Robert Loggia about a few things that have even less to do with this film's - ahum - "story" than Star Trek. Even old David Niven and Capucine get dragged in, not at all because of the diamond though. Now, look at the DVD cover again. See Niven? Okay, he's in this film about as much as Gogol was in TLD. Which means almost not. So if you think that - hey! we bring back the cast of the original film! - think again. Niven just sits in a chair and then waves the reporter goodbye. Of course in this last hour we get a collection of scenes from the previous films, digging up fond memories of Clouseau... I'm not kidding you. We actually have entire scenes of the previous films pasted into this one.

*sigh!*

Point is, this should have been a 'tribute to Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouseau' special for some TV network in '82. As a theatrically released film, this is a hoax! Forget the kind words for Peter Sellers in the opening three seconds of the film: this project is meant to make money on the dead corpse of that brilliant actor. No wonder this film was both a critical and commercial flop. Whoever thought this might actually have pleased the fans - Mr Edwards, I'm looking at you - clearly wasn't thinking straight! Yuk! This film damages the series like nothing else ever could. Now I'm shying away from the remaining 4 films... I have to await the arrival of the DVD's anyway. It'll be a welcome break from a series that started so strong and got to the abysmal lows of Trail Of The Pink Panther.

Revenge Of The Pink Panther: 4/5
    Trail Of The Pink Panther: - / 5
    Stephen King's The Stand (1994)
    6e83e19da53494800468f861ff16dc4b.jpg

The Stand is a 1994 TV miniseries that is an adaptation of one of Stephen King's most famous novels. King also serves as the screenwriter on this project.

Spread out over six hours (four 1.5 hour segments), The Stand first details the near extinction of the human race, thanks to a superflu that escapes a California military base due to the lone surviving family there not following protocol. The virus rages all around the world, eventually killing 99% of the population.

The majority of the film finds the viewers following two groups of survivors who were immune to the superflu (also known as "Captain Trips"). Stu Redman (played by Gary Sinise) ends up becoming an unofficial leader of the group that has been brought together by the mysterious Mother Abigail (Ruby Dee), who is the force for good remaining in the world. The majority of the film focuses on Redman and those that he gathers with as they seek to oppose the evil Randall Flagg, who builds an evil empire of sorts, mostly off screen, in Las Vegas.

On the whole, The Stand is an entertaining few hours. I've read part of King's novel, and the parts that I read seem to have been faithfully adapted to the screen, even if King was probably forced to cut some material due to time constraints. I can't speak for how accurate the bulk of the film is to the novel, however, but with King on board, I imagine that it's pretty close.

One problem that plagues the film is the lack of screen time devoted to Flagg and his followers building their society in Las Vegas. We're constantly told by the followers of Mother Abigail that they must oppose the evil Flagg, but ultimately it's a lot of lip service as we don't see a whole lot of Flagg until the final hour and a half, even though he does pop up several times during the first 4.5 hours.

For a TV movie, The Stand is well executed, unlike other attempts to bring Stephen King's work to the small (and big) screen. The cast is pretty good all around, even if it does include quite a few name actors (Rob Lowe and Molly Ringwald, for example), but ultimately everyone gets the job done and turn in what is a rather entertaining take on King's material.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 2,081
    Tiptoes (2003) with Matthew McConaughey, Kate Beckinsale, Gary Oldman, Patricia Arquette, Peter Dinklage. An interesting idea, and I'm sure it was supposed to be touching and much deeper than it was. Watchable, but frankly not very good, nor successful in what I think it was attempting.

Ghosts of Girlfriends Past (2009) with Matthew McConaughey, Jennifer Garner, Michael Douglas. Silly adult fantasy with too quick and too easy conclusions, and with some bloody awful supporting characters - the main characters were ok, though. The plot idea might have brought better results than it did here, and it should have been funnier. Also watchable, but also not very good. I suppose the genre classification would say this is a romantic comedy despite it not being all that funny or romantic, and as such, despite its many faults, compared to Failure To Launch it was probably close to a masterpiece. ;) (I probably already wrote before that that one was so embarrassingly bad that I felt sorry for such fine actors like McConaughey and Kathy Bates for being in it.)

The Paperboy (2012) with Matthew McConaughey (good), Nicole Kidman (wonderful), Zac Efron (ho-hum), Macy Gray (good), John Cusack (very good, but not seen much). Well this was weird. I read it got mixed reviews, and I have mixed feelings about it. I can't say I particularly liked it, but I didn't exactly dislike it, either. Kinda interesting, with mostly good acting work. Not a feelgood movie in any sort of way. The best of this bunch, definitely, but...

---

I've done well with my Daniel Craig and Jared Leto film projects, even if I say so myself (not 100%, but very good), the Javier Bardem and Hitchcock projects need renewed effort (real life issues interrupted them last year), the Bogart and McConaughey projects are ticking along nicely, Cary Grant project is only beginning, but the pile of dvds waiting for my attention is quite impressive. Fincher and Aronofsky projects are doing pretty well...

There is some overlap in these projects, which is a pleasure. My local library has been very helpful. As has Amazon.

:)

'A Haunted House 2'

If I had such a thing as guilty pleasures, I suppose you could say these films are exactly that. Funny, goofy, harks back to what made the first few 'Scary Movie' installments so entertaining and hilarious. Anyone going into this expecting Oscar-winning acting, a fantastic plot, etc. will be sorely disappointed. I started it expecting nothing and found myself laughing really, really hard throughout. *shrugs* it's fun. I think I can be really cynical and harsh on films, but comedy is the one genre that has to take a lot to disappoint me. Some of the funniest comedies that come to my mind are always those low-grade, sometimes direct-to-DVD movies that get horrible reviews. Chalk this one up as another enjoyable one for me.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 6,396
    Back To The Future Triolgy

The first film still stands as one of my favourite ever movies. I applaud the second film for it's complexities even if it is quite flawed and the third and the final film is incredibly enjoyable and a fitting way to round off the story.
    @WillyGalore, I love this trilogy, including the music. BTTF has some impressive music, wouldn't you agree? ;-)
    @DarthDimi. I love the theme tune. Absolutely brilliant. Could easily have been written by John Williams.

Scientists only have 6 months left to invent hover boards.... :-bd