The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• edited July 2014 Posts: 1,631
    I'm glad that they're not continuing on with a proper Halloween 3 for the next film by continuing on with what Zombie built, because I don't think that his particular universe is one that could sustain itself beyond the two films that he did.

That said, I'm glad they gave him the two films to put his own stamp on the franchise. I think the studio forced him too much into a certain box with the Halloween remake, and I think he's even said as much, but I thoroughly enjoyed Halloween II and would rank it as possibly the best sequel in the entire franchise. That film clearly isn't keeping in line much with what Carpenter created, but I liked that they actually did a film that focused on the aftermath of one of Myers' massacres, dealing with the destruction that was left in his path as Laurie, Annie, Loomis, and Brackett (who was portrayed wonderfully by Brad Dourif) were forced to pick up the pieces following the events of the remake rather than jumping ahead a year and acting as though nothing had happened.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited July 2014 Posts: 13,894
    dalton wrote: »
    I think The House Of The Devil was was the better film, but The Inkeepers had the more likeable lead.

I could go along with that. Sara Paxton was excellent in that film and has been consistently solid in the horror genre over the years. I thought she did a good job in the rather underrated remake of The Last House on the Left and she was even good in the campy, but fun in a guilty-pleasure kind of way, Shark Night.

I couldn't have put it better. :) Sara Paxton has also been in Static & Cheap Thrills, but I haven't seen those two. I have them on DVD, but it's a case of so many films I want to see, and not enough hours in a day to see them. It doesn't help that I keep buying or adding new films to my 'want to see' list.
    @DarthDimi, I love slasher movies, but I can't stomach too much gore (kind of ironic, I know.) I typically use the parents guide on IMDB to decide whether or not I can watch a specific film, but sometimes (very often, actually) it's not helpful. And as I've pretty much run down the list of films I know are safe, I was wondering if anyone knew of any others, because I could not have possible watched them all.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I remember reading a script one night for the 'Halloween 3D' they were going to do (or something to that effect). It was very bizarre and chock full of unbelievable (in a bad way) moments. I'm glad that got scrapped and never saw the light of day.
  • JennyFlex wrote: »
    Thought this might be a good place to ask. Does anyone know any classic slashers that do not contain much gore (sans the usual suspects like Halloween, Prom Night, Curtains, Terror Train)?

Admittedly it’s been a while since I took my collection of 80’s slashers out for a spin but I second the suggestions so far. I think the original Friday the 13th is a must and it’s not really gory, although certainly effective when it put its mind to it. Though somewhat clunky, it also slowly builds an uneasy mood to be enjoyed well before the slightly underwhelming final act. Speaking of effective gore you might also want to check out the work of Tom Savini in The Prowler, though I remember that one being a bit more nasty.

In a slightly different vein there are also films like Hell Night and in particularly The Funhouse, adding more grotesque, monstrous touches to the proceedings. I would also suggest Happy Birthday to Me and He Knows You’re Alone, rather early and not particularly gory films that at least attempts to blend the emerging Slasher formula with plotting and characterizations the commercial success of the more straightforward Friday the 13th and its followers soon made redundant. He Knows You’re Alone also reportedly offers Tom Hanks’ big screen debut, it you’re into those sorts of things.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Is the original 'Black Christmas' any good?

To the best of my recollection, yes. Not many shocks but an ambiguous story with a pensive, claustrophobic, eerie, bleak and somewhat unsettling atmosphere. I haven’t seen the remake but it might be interesting to do so.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The Innkeepers built and built, never amounting to much, built again and again... only to FREAK ME OUT in its final few minutes. That's what I like about it.

@JennyFlex, one thing you might want to stay away from is Paranormal Activity. Don't believe the hype!! It's about as exciting as watching me eating soup. To summarize PA:

Camera switches on.
    Let's go to bed.
    Did you hear something?
    Wake up: you're sure you didn't hear something?
    Let's go to bed.
    (Repeat the previous three lines about six times. Sometimes some physical stuff happens. But not much.)
    End of film. Seriously, no climax besides the obvious.

Terrible. The horror experience is in having to sit through this dull movie. What gets half the American population so excited about PA is beyond me. I mean, I know that superstition, magic and false spiritualism have returned from the Dark Ages and seem more popular than ever before. I know that even educated people consult fortune tellers rather than their real doctors (emphasis on 'real') nowadays. But even then, do folks really dig this nonsense? "Yeah, I like, saw that Paranormal Activity film. I'm like, that's like in OUR house, man! We have a ghost for real. I ain't foolin' ya, I swear, stuff's real y'know." My ex-girlfriend consulted a fortune teller once too. I discovered that after the facts. Strike one towards our inevitable breakup. Still, I don't mind a good ghost movie. The Innkeepers is a fair example of that. But here's what the Innkeepers has going for it compared to PA:

- It doesn't have to rely on the "found footage" craze to be a good film.
    - People actually sat down for more than half an hour to write a decent job.
    - Real actors are involved.
    - Music, camera work, sets, ... are all thought about.
    - It doesn't require a cheap scare every five minutes just to please the attention disordered crowd. (Offensive? Sorry, then stop ruining my theatrical experiences.)

@OtisFairplay, I LOVE He Knows You're Alone. I always assumed Happy Birthday to Me was gory, so I never even bothered. I think the promotional art was what lead me to believe that.
    I remember reading a script one night for the 'Halloween 3D' they were going to do (or something to that effect). It was very bizarre and chock full of unbelievable (in a bad way) moments. I'm glad that got scrapped and never saw the light of day.

I recall having read a review of a supposed Halloween 3D script that continued on from where Rob Zombie's Halloween II left off. Might have been the same one, as I remember it being just completely absurd with a lot of random nonsense happening just for the sake of it.

Also, I never understood exactly how they were planning to make a Halloween 3 in the Rob Zombie universe anyway,
    given that it's made abundantly clear that Michael Myers is dead at the end of Halloween II. Yes, I know they can, and have, bring him back, but given the "realistic" nature of Zombie's series and the complete lack of supernatural qualities attributed to his version of Myers, coupled with the horrific nature of his death, as both the theatrical and director's cuts had him perishing pretty convincingly, I just don't see how they were going to justify it.

dalton wrote: »

I recall having read a review of a supposed Halloween 3D script that continued on from where Rob Zombie's Halloween II left off. Might have been the same one, as I remember it being just completely absurd with a lot of random nonsense happening just for the sake of it.

Also, I never understood exactly how they were planning to make a Halloween 3 in the Rob Zombie universe anyway,
    given that it's made abundantly clear that Michael Myers is dead at the end of Halloween II. Yes, I know they can, and have, bring him back, but given the "realistic" nature of Zombie's series and the complete lack of supernatural qualities attributed to his version of Myers, coupled with the horrific nature of his death, as both the theatrical and director's cuts had him perishing pretty convincingly, I just don't see how they were going to justify it.

I think if:
    Michael has survived being shot, burned, electrocuted, blown up, etc., so I'm sure he would've survived being impaled and shot. ;)
    Well, true. My thinking was that it would be a bit more difficult to go that route with Zombie's version of the character, as he's not a seemingly supernatural being like the one from the original series of films.

Still, the only thing standing between them bringing back Myers for a third Rob Zombie Halloween film and not is simple logic, which is certainly something that's never gotten in the way of bringing forth a horror sequel. ;)
    @dalton, I'm now upset thinking about a Ti West 'Halloween' film because I'm sure it'll never happen! :(

He really has proved himself with the horror genre (he was also good as the awkward actor in 'You're Next'), I'd love to see him get to handle a big film like 'Halloween' in his own way.
    Has anyone seen the new 'Purge' film ? ..is it any better than the 1st one ? ..just curious.
    edited July 2014 Posts: 40,492
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Has anyone seen the new 'Purge' film ? ..is it any better than the 1st one ? ..just curious.

Everyone seemed to love it but me, and most of the reviews reflect the majority opinion that it is better than the first. I still say the first was leagues better.

On another note, does anyone miss the 70's/80's horror films that contained a lot of likable characters? I feel like well over half of the horror movies I've watched from the 21st Century contain tons of unlikable people. Doesn't make it easy for me to connect with anyone or hope for the survival of a certain character.

• JennyFlex wrote: »
    @OtisFairplay, I LOVE He Knows You're Alone. I always assumed Happy Birthday to Me was gory, so I never even bothered. I think the promotional art was what lead me to believe that.

Nice to meet a fan of He Knows You're Alone, somewhat obscure and low-key (well, for a slasher) but I found it a pleasant surprise. It's probably been about 10 years since I saw Happy Birthday to Me but while I recall some bizarre, gory moments (not to mention a decidedly macabre scene) I don't believe there was anything too intense. Allegedly the MPAA had a hand in that, but nonetheless. Hope you'll like it if you give it a try.
    Just tried to watch 'Frontiers' but I couldn't do it. Didn't care for the characters and the film was too bleak and horribly edited for my tastes. The point I was at in the film, two chase sequences had occurred, and I couldn't pay attention to either with such insane shaky-cam and fast editing. It's not for me. Now, time to give the 1974 version of 'Black Christmas' a shot.
    On another note, does anyone miss the 70's/80's horror films that contained a lot of likable characters? I feel like well over half of the horror movies I've watched from the 21st Century contain tons of unlikable people. Doesn't make it easy for me to connect with anyone or hope for the survival of a certain character.

I miss that as well. I think that's a huge reason why today's horror films aren't really all that scary, as there aren't any characters for the audience to have a real vested interest in over the course of the film.

I think a prime example of that was 2009's Friday the 13th. I love what Derek Mears' did in the role of Jason, and to be honest, the film itself wasn't all that bad in terms of story, plot construction, etc. The problem there was that there was a big lack of likeable characters, which got me to a point where I was almost rooting for Jason. I think the only character in that film that I really cared what happened to her was Danielle Panabaker's character, as she was about the only one that didn't come across like a self-centered, entitled jerk.

And this is a problem in a good number of horror films
    edited July 2014 Posts: 40,492
    And with that, there are too many cliche moments that have been done to death, such as: character hears a noise, investigates, gets closer to opening a door, score heightens, opens the door, AAAND...nothing. Whew, sigh of relief. Character turns around, and boom, someone is right behind them. Doesn't work anymore.

I liked both Panabaker and Padalecki in the film. It was nice having the latter survive a horror movie finally. They made a really good pairing in a really great film. Then, you had your typical, cliche horror characters: the pot smoker, the whore, the token black guy, the rude jock, etc.

Another great thing about horror films from the 70's and 80's: there was no hour-long buildup to a few moments of suspense and horror. They tend to jump right into it. Just started 'Black Christmas' and that's exactly how it seems to be. Same with 'The Fog' when I watched it, and the excellent 'Halloween' and 'The Thing.' They get right down to it.

Also, here are more blu-ray details for 'See No Evil 2,' along with the trailer:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=14616
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 19,339
    barryt007 wrote: »

Everyone seemed to love it but me, and most of the reviews reflect the majority opinion that it is better than the first. I still say the first was leagues better.

TOTALLY @Creasy47 ....in fact i watched one last night that i had recorded,an Aussie horror called 'Primal',and i had to wait a fairly long time and be patient with it,as it started off so stereotypical and predictable.

The characters were pretty hateful and i couldnt care less if they were all butchered and eaten.

The film did improve and was quite enjoyable with a good ending as well,but,no,generally i have switched off from watching quite a few horrors recently due to the film being half way through and i sit there thinking 'why am i watching this ,im getting nothing from it ?'.

@barryt007, exactly, and while sometimes the payoff is worth it, you end up finding yourself being disappointed with other parts of the film the whole time, such as having characters that are so awful, you're not contributing any hope for their survival; you just want to see them all get the axe.
    I just find at the moment that while there are more and more horror flicks out there now,its getting harder to find one that is original or fleshed out (pardon the pun ).
    Which is way harking back to the horror films of the 60's - 80's never fails, because that's when they were original and done in such a fresh way. Now, there are no more surprises, simply being replaced with horrid cliches. It's rare for me to find a film released today that truly manages to scare me.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Creasy47 speaks words of wisdom. Why indeed should we try to get something good out of these modern remakes / reboots / re-imaginings when one can simply plug in Rosemary's Baby, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers, The Exorcist, Alien, ... and experience the real terror time and again?

When I watch some of those reboots or remakes, I usually do so strictly out of interest. Let me see, I watched Invasion Of The Body Snatchers, both the Siegel and the Kaufman film, in the double digits, whereas The Invasion I have watched only twice, the second time for the sake of writing a small revue in our Last Movie thread. The Wolfman, starring Lon Chaney Jr, I have watched at least five times. That Benicio Del Toro remake? Once. Gus Van Sant's Psycho remake: once. And it'll stay that way. Carrie is a exception, because I adore Chloe Grace Moretz. ;-)
    *shudders* That 'Psycho' remake was...it's beyond words. The original 'Psycho' compared to the remake is literally night and day in difference. I love Moretz as well, and while I thought the remake was mildly entertaining, it lacked a certain punch. Still, it was enjoyable and not a complete waste of time, and I thought Moore played the hell out of her role.

It's why I've found myself solely focusing on watching older horror films now for entertainment, and newer ones (remakes, reboots, the generic 'new' film, etc.) for, like you said, interest or curiosity. I don't think I'll bother with the 'Rosemary's Baby' remake, but I do love Saldana and Isaacs, so I might give it a shot. But, of course, I'll go into it knowing it won't capture what the original did. In terms of psychological horror, I can't think of too many films where almost every scene counts or means something like it did in 'Rosemary's Baby.' All of the events connected and everything was a clue, so the smallest of conversations or favors in the movie had a dark, sinister meaning behind it.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I think so far we've had some good films this decade. 5 which immediately spring to mind are:

The Innkeepers
    American Mary
    Hatchet II
    Curse Of Chucky
    You're Next

While the previous decade had the likes of:

May
    Outpost
    House Of The Devil
    Friday The 13th
    Toolbox Murders
    The Woods
    Triangle
    The Descent
    30 Days Of Night
    Ginger Snaps
    Dog Soldier

I don't have a favourite decade, as each one has had its gems.
    @MajorDSmythe I would have thought Let The Right One In would be on your list.
    At the risk of loosing my horror cred, I haven't seen it, nor it's US remake. :-$
    *shudders* That 'Psycho' remake was...it's beyond words. The original 'Psycho' compared to the remake is literally night and day in difference. I love Moretz as well, and while I thought the remake was mildly entertaining, it lacked a certain punch. Still, it was enjoyable and not a complete waste of time, and I thought Moore played the hell out of her role.

That Psycho remake was something else. It's hard to imagine how something that is essentially a shot-for-shot remake of the original can turn out that much worse than the original. I think a lot of it was down to the casting, which saw virtually every major role miscast, except for William H. Macy, who did a great job as Arbogast.

I actually liked the remake of Carrie, although I'd agree that it lacked a certain punch. I think had they not gone ahead and given it a different visual look, as opposed to the cliched music-video look that a lot of these remakes tend to have, then it might have come off a bit better. At times it felt rather sterile and soulless, but it also had its good moments as well, and you couldn't really ask for a better duo to take over from Spacek and Laurie than Moretz and Moore.
    Similar to The Omen remake which was almost shot for shot (save for a couple of new scenes) but was utterly dreadful.
    At the risk of loosing my horror cred, I haven't seen it, nor it's US remake. :-$

I haven't seen the original, but I loved the remake, and I've seen quite a few people who said they prefer it to the original, as surprising as that is.

@WillyGalore, I love Liev Schreiber, but I haven't bothered with the remake. The original is too good that the remake can only be disappointing.
    I have the Pentology set, but I have only watched the first 3 films. The original is one of the few horror films that can still unnerve me, even after multiple viewings.