The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

I have the Pentology set, but I have only watched the first 3 films. The original is one of the few horror films that can still unnerve me, even after multiple viewings.

Whilst the first film is my favourite horror film of all time, I also really like Damien: Omen II. However, The Final Conflict is not good at all (except for Sam Neill's performance) but it's still so much better than that rubbish TV movie Omen IV.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @WillyGalore, Let The Right One In is a great film! The final scene is just delicious. I also rather liked the remake, though it needn't have been made. ;-)
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @WillyGalore, Let The Right One In is a great film! The final scene is just delicious. I also rather liked the remake, though it needn't have been made. ;-)

I've never actually seen the US remake. Is it nigh on identical to the original?
    edited July 2014 Posts: 23,621
    It's pretty identical, yes. The cinematography is more polished, cleaner in a sense, but that's not necessarily a compliment for a film like that. It should be a little crude, less CGI'd, IMO.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Does anyone here have any of the blu-ray collectible steelbooks from the 'Resident Evil' films? I know a few of you here enjoy the films as much as I do, wanted to see what you all thought about them. I picked up the one for 'Extinction' for about $7 at Wal-Mart one day, and now they're all heavily overpriced everywhere I look. I won a raffle of sorts over on the blu-ray.com site, getting the one for 'Afterlife' for free, and I now have someone who is going to give me the one for 'Apocalypse' (my favorite RE) film for shipping costs only on Monday. I can't wait to add it to the collection, leaving me needing the first and fifth films only, then.
    Nah, I have them on DVD, that's all. ;-)
    Nah, I have them on DVD, that's all. ;-)

Steelbook or not, you should do the blu-ray upgrade with them at some point! As soon as I collected them all on blu-ray (I had a few on DVD, just never felt like making the upgrade until a few years ago), I did a nice marathon of them straight through.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2014 Posts: 13,904
    Like Dimi, i've got 'em all on DVD. I like the idea of an RE marathon, though.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3306212/jason-voorhees-will-returning-new-friday-13th/

Could they just drive a stake through the found footage angle right now. Shame about Mears though, if true. I liked the MacGyver Jason we had in the reboot.
    edited August 2014 Posts: 40,551
    Like Dimi, i've got 'em all on DVD. I like the idea of an RE marathon, though.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3306212/jason-voorhees-will-returning-new-friday-13th/

Could they just drive a stake through the found footage angle allready.

It was like the 'Saw' films, where they were much better watched as a marathon. I hated everything after 'Saw 2,' but had much more appreciation for the rest of the films when I watched them in a row. Even though the only RE film I don't like is 'Retribution,' it was still pretty entertaining when watched immediately after the rest of the films.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I like all 5, but for me, Afterlife leads the pack by a margin.

Since I accepted the fact that the films would never be literal adaptions of the games, I have grown to enjoy the films for their blend of Action & Horror, two genres that I have much love for.
    Edited my previous comment, I meant to say 'Retribution,' not 'Afterlife.' 'Afterlife' was in strong contention of being my favorite when I last saw it, but it really disappointed me the last time I watched it. It's still really entertaining, though. I think it's because I watched it with a friend of mine who cracked jokes and pointed out the film's flaws.

@MajorDSmythe, you and I both. I hated 'Extinction' when I saw it in theaters, but once I rewatched it a few times on DVD and blu-ray, it grew on me, and now I really enjoy it. After my last marathon, I'd probably rank them:

1.) 'Apocalypse'
    2.) 'Resident Evil'
    3.) 'Extinction'
    4.) 'Afterlife'
    5.) 'Retribution'

There's a strong tie between #'s 2-4, though.
    I have not watched any of the films lately, but based of my last viewing of each film:

1. Resident Evil: Afterlife
    2. Resident Evil: Apocalypse
    3. Resident Evil: Retribution
    4. Resident Evil: Extinction
    5. Resident Evil
    The CGI in 'Resident Evil' is awful, but I like the simple, straightforward story, Alice is at her most vulnerable, and it has a really good supporting cast.
    Finally watched the original Friday the 13th last night. Thank you to those who suggested it, I loved it, and it wasn't really gory at all.
    I know the series became gorier as it went along, but does anyone have an idea of how gory Friday the 13th Part 2 is? I'm a big fan of Amy Steel and would like to watch the film.
    I don't think F13 pt.2 is particularly gory. But then I don't think any of the F13's are. ;-)
    When I did a F13 marathon over a year ago, I was surprised to find out just how clean the films were, in terms of gore. A lot of the kills are off screen and not typically shown. You do have your occasional kill that is not only shown, but incredibly gory, such as the head-punch decapitation in 'Jason Takes Manhattan,' or the upside-down handstand machete slice. (One of my favorites!)
    The Unrated cut of Jason Goes To Hell is quite gory, the tent kill is brutal.
    The Unrated cut of Jason Goes To Hell is quite gory, the tent kill is brutal.

I haven't seen 'Jason Goes To Hell' since I was a kid, but it had some tense scenes and amazing kills, like the pole kill in the diner (where he yanks the pole through him into the girl who stabbed him.)
    It's been one of my favourite Friday films since I first watched it. I can understand why it's disliked so much, Jason as we know him, is barely in the film, but I can appreciate that they tried something different.
    The tent kill is AWESOME! Right in the middle of an orgasm, Jason ads a little impaling to the lovemaking. :D Possibly my favourite F13 death besides Kevin Bacon's.
    I wouldn't even know where to begin on saying what my favorite kill is or who my favorite character is. The films tend to blend together for me, but one of my favorites is during the finale of the fourth or fifth, I believe, where the main character is calling out for her boyfriend (or some guy that's with her), and Jason has him right on the steps next to her, squeezing his skull until his eye pops out. So intense.

I might have to treat myself for Christmas and pick up the entire blu-ray collection. I've restricted myself from buying any of them on blu-ray just for that reason.
    Dimi has thrown down the gauntlet, now. Best kill has to be the sleeping bag kill, from The New Blood. Born out of Hodder's frustration, but it's a classic.

The multiple kills that Jason scores in the cargo hold from Jason X are notable runners up. Especially the unfortunate chap whom gets his neck slowly snapped by Jason. We hear every crunch before his body slumps lifeless.
    'Jason X' had some no-holds barred, BRUTAL kills, such as the one when he throws that soldier on the big spiral drill, and his body spins all the way down to the bottom.
    The sleeping bag kill is indeed a good one, @MajorDSmythe! Such great fun. :D

How about Jason's own so-called deaths? His head sliding down the machete in part IV is a wonderful little moment. And when Kelly Rowland takes it in FvsJ, I'm kinda cheering too, but for all the wrong reasons I guess. ;-) First she gives Freddy the finger, then she turns around, goes "oh-oh" with her facial expression and YES! Dimi happy. ;)
    edited August 2014 Posts: 40,551
    There's never been a more guaranteed moment that Jason is 100% dead than the opening of 'Jason Goes To Hell'...or apparently not. ;)

I also love the part in FvJ with Kelly when she's in the burning cabin, punching Jason (with some choice words), and he backhands her, she lets out an "ahhh!", and goes flying into the wall. Hilarious.

EDIT: I found the first three F13 films for less than $5 a piece on blu-ray, and figured it would be cheaper to get them all separately at that rate. But, it appears that the first three films, FVJ, and the reboot are the only ones available on blu-ray separately. All the other parts, including 'Jason X' and 'Jason Goes To Hell' are unavailable, with no given release date, so the only way to get the entire collection would be to buy the full collection itself. Shame.
    I have 'em on DVD. I don't need the clean-up jobs. Cheap slashers are meant to be seen as cheap slashers. ;-)
    I have 'em on DVD. I don't need the clean-up jobs. Cheap slashers are meant to be seen as cheap slashers. ;-)

I agree, but if I have a choice between DVD or blu-ray, I'm always going to select the latter. :)
    Incidentally, any votes as to which of Freddy's kills was the most violent? :)

I still prefer Tina in the original film. Man, there's a brutal moment for sure!
    I'm ashamed to admit it, but I haven't seen a Englund-starring NOES film in a very, very long time. I saw the reboot about a year or so ago and that was it. Used to watch those all the time, as well, and I've seen the killcounts for them on YouTube. Very brutal, but I don't remember the last few films being so ridiculously cheesy and cringe-worthy looking.