Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• edited July 2014 Posts: 12,837
    Creasy47 wrote:
    'Jack Reacher'

I hated it the first time I watched it, loved it the first time I rewatched it, and it's "so-so" upon my second rewatch. Doesn't stand out in any sense, pretty generic, the hand-to-hand fight scenes are mediocre, but I love the driving sequences and a good portion of the dialogue. Other than that, it's just alright.

Ah, so you're coming around to my opinion of the movie, eh? ;) That's exactly how I'd describe it: just alright, and a bit "meh." Even Tom couldn't save that film.

Tom was one of the films biggest problems. He's a decent actor/insane scientologist and he tried his best but he's just not Jack Reacher at all.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, yeah, it's definitely "meh" for me, just half-and-half throughout. Didn't wow me like the first rewatch did...in fact, not sure how I was wowed by it at all.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I thought Reacher was an enjoyable (if fairly forgettable) exercise in brutal anti-hero antics.
    SaintMark wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    Predator [1987] starring Schwarzenegger one of those brilliant actioners that have not been bettered by any modern cinema. The brilliance is that this variety of men fights their worst nightmare and yet you never see this group as racially diverse but as men working together for a common goal. The predator was a game changer in cinema, with Alien & the predator as something unique and original, still to this day. The cast of this movie is brilliant and well chosen.
    A cracking actioner that anybody who is into action movies needs to have seen or should not be considered a fan of the genre.

I really like Predator but just because others may not, doesn't mean they can't be a fan of the genre.

I did not say like, they should at least have seen the movie!

Fair point. I assume you've seen The Raid movies?

The first one I did see, not quite sure I enjoyed it and most certainly it was not an invite to see the second one.

Actually I did see the Raid due to the rave responses on this site, the reason for visiting is after all to pick up new ideas, insights and products
    'The Monuments Men'

I love art, I love the history of WWII, but I did not love this film. The pacing and buildup ruined it for me. We almost immediately jump into the lives of these men, and before you know it, they're already searching for the stolen art in Europe. No big backstories, no history between the men, nothing, we're just supposed to accept that they're best friends to some extent and the mission has begun. I just felt like the film wasn't sure what direction it wanted to take, so it suffered terribly with pacing, like it didn't know what it wanted to be.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, yeah, it's definitely "meh" for me, just half-and-half throughout. Didn't wow me like the first rewatch did...in fact, not sure how I was wowed by it at all.

I wish we'd have gotten a taste of Reacher, some backstory or any interesting dimension to him, but he just shows up, beats and kills baddies, then leaves. Nothing interesting about him, yet he's supposed to be this super dangerous ghost of a man. Meh. Plus, I find him to be a bit of a fool, especially near the end of the film.
    Plus, he comes across as this man that's never wrong, that knows everything that others don't, yet when he first arrives, he is damn certain that Barr is guilty. Hasn't taken a look at the evidence, hasn't talked to Barr, hasn't visited the crime scene, he just knows. Doesn't sound like a very confident, smart man at that point. He knows how to look at the clues later on, but to write him off as guilty as soon as you arrive?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The Fog (1980)
    One of my favourite Horror films, I remain blissfully ignorant of the remake. I know it exists, that's all.

Peter Gunn (1989)
    It's unfortunate that this pilot remains a failed attempt at a Peter Gunn revival. Craig Stevens is the original Peter Gunn, but here, Peter Strauss has a good stab at the role. I don't recall there being as many one liners in the original series, and certainly not in the '67 film, but there are a couple of good 'uns.

Non-Stop
    The Liam Neeson career reinvention shows no signs of slowing dow. He has kicked enough ass on terra firmer, so now he takes to the skies. I preffered Taken and Unknown, but Non-Stop is still enjoyable enough, and imo, better than Taken 2. I'm ready for Neeson's next Action Thriller...
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Rambo III (1988) and Rambo IV (2008)
    Both great films. Bring on Rambo V.
    The Fog (1980)
    One of my favourite Horror films, I remain blissfully ignorant of the remake. I know it exists, that's all.

When I still worked with teenager I did show this one on Halloween evenings together with the original Halloween movie.
    The kids loved it but when the remake came they all went to see it, and these youngsters were very annoyed while the movie looked better the scarier one was the oldie.

So indeed stay away from the remake.

'The Fog' (1980) is on my Watch List. I might end up watching it tonight!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The (original) Fog is a nice little film; the remake is what you want to stay away from.
  • Just watched Why Don’t You Play In Hell?

Simply awesome film....a must if you are movie buff or a just a lover of great films.

Watch this film kutha.

I watched roughly five minutes of the remake of 'The Fog' when it was on Netflix and I shut it off. I knew I was in for some generic garbage for 90 minutes, and didn't feel like wasting my time. The original was on my want list, then I wasn't terribly impressed by 'Terror Train,' so I removed it, but then I heard the guy who did the makeup/animatronics for Carpenter's 'The Thing' also worked on 'The Fog,' and it bumped my excitement once again.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Terror Train, Isn't that the one that Train (2008) started out as a remake of?
    Terror Train, Isn't that the one that Train (2008) started out as a remake of?

I'm not sure, but 'Terror Train' was directed by pre-Bond Roger Spottiswoode.
    Turns out that Train was intended as a Terror Train remake, before aparently becoming it's own beast entirely. It wasn't one of the best Horror films of it's decade, but Birch was the saving grace for me.

Would Terror Train be worth watching for the Bond connection?
    edited July 2014 Posts: 40,372
    Turns out that Train was intended as a Terror Train remake, before aparently becoming it's own beast entirely. It wasn't one of the best Horror films of it's decade, but Birch was the saving grace for me.

I don't particularly care for it. You don't really see any of the deaths and there's a good 30-minute period or so where absolutely nothing happens. I don't know if the film attempted to present a twist or wild finale, but it failed on that regard, and it ended too abruptly for my tastes.

Speaking of Jamie Lee Curtis and 80's horror films, it appears 'Prom Night' is making its way to blu-ray:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=14389

EDIT: 'Insomnia' (1997)

Starring Stellan Skarsgard, I found this version to be much better than Nolan's remake version, especially the ending. I love seeing his descent into madness as he struggles with his inability to sleep, partly due to what has occured and also due to being in an area that doesn't see darkness for six months. Interesting little twist to a murder mystery.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited July 2014 Posts: 13,879
    Dorian Gray (2009)

After finishing the first season of Penny Dreadful, I read up a little on the character of Dorian Gray, and stumbled across this film. I really enjoyed it, and the additions of Colin Firth and a minor role for Maryam d'Abo were a pleasant surprise. I would've liked Gray's transformation to be a bit more gradual, but overall, it's a decent film. 4/5

The Raid 2: Berandal (2014)

Just finished watching it. Meh.

I'm joking, of course. I loved the film quite possibly as much as the first. The fight scenes in the first half are less impressive than what we got in Redemption, but the second half certainly make up for it- especially the final match. It was pretty cool to take what we saw in the first film and mix it up with typical action film elements (the car chase) to get something new. Action aside, the cinematography was outside the box, and the plot just complex enough. Iko Uwais shines once again, and continues to show great promise as an actor. Looking forward to seeing more of his work. 5/5
    @QBranch, that's how I felt: the first few fights were still great, but a bit underwhelming, but as it moved along and we got toward the finale (mainly the last few fights), I was blown away. Some of the best choreography and hand-to-hand/melee fighting I've ever seen in a film.

I watched a few interviews with Iko and the gang after I watched it, and it's cool because he's so quiet and kind, yet explodes on screen with his talent. He must have learned some English after 'The Raid: Redemption,' as well, because he speaks a good bit of it in the interviews I saw for 'The Raid 2.'
    One of my favourite "guilty pleasure" films that I always watch at this time of year :D

"Now that's what I call a close encounter"
    'Rosemary's Baby'

This was the first time I had seen the film. While I'm not a fan of the ending, and the acting is a little choppy here and there, this is a film with tons of little hidden clues that reveal the ending, and almost every scene in the film has meaning, there's nothing that's thrown in for no reason at all. It all has a purpose, and what unfolds is so unbelievably creepy. Great film.

'Harakiri'

I'm going through a list of Criterions I want to watch, and this is the first samurai film I stumbled upon. I'm absolutely floored. It's yet another slow-burner that reveals the true intentions of an ex-warrior who has stumbled upon a mansion, asking those who reside there to assist him in harakiri, or seppuku (Japanese ritualistic, honorable suicide). As the story unfolds, we find out just why the main character is there, and it all builds up to one intense finale. I love this film, and if this is what I have in store for the rest of the samurai films I'm going to check out - especially those of Akiro Kurosawa - then I am in for a treat.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    if this is what I have in store for the rest of the samurai films I'm going to check out - especially those of Akiro Kurosawa - then I am in for a treat.
    My personal favourite is Sanjuro. But basically, you can't go wrong with almost any Kurosawa flick.
    ^:)^
    Ashamed to say I never saw any of his films, and I was tired of seeing everyone amp up how great his and other samurai films of the time were. One down and I'm floored. I don't want to get burned out on them, so I'm spreading out what I watch. Watched 'Harakiri,' so now I'll jump to 80's sci-fi with 'Leviathan,' then one of these. Any suggestions? I'm guessing 'Sanjuro.'

'Seven Samurai'
    'Yojimbo'
    'Sanjuro'
    'The Hidden Fortress'
    'Throne Of Blood'
    'Kagemusha'
    Creasy47 wrote:
    'Seven Samurai'
    'Yojimbo'
    'Sanjuro'
    'The Hidden Fortress'
    'Throne Of Blood'
    'Kagemusha'
    All classics, but beware: Kagemusha is his most artistic triumph, and deals with the after effects of violence without showing a bit of it. Not an action film by any measure.

Just an FYI.
    That's fine, it's pretty much how 'Harakiri' was. I'm fine with that if the story is good enough!

'Leviathan' (1989)

It's the setting of 'The Abyss,' the plot/monster from 'The Thing,' and the elements of 'Alien.' The set design is great, I love Peter Weller (yet the rest of the cast falls flat for me), the alien design and effects are very good (also done by the people who worked on 'The Thing,' I believe), but there's something I don't care for. The ridiculous looking weapons? The lack of suspense? The lack of proper character development? Not enough good looking kills for an alien sci-fi film? I don't know, but it leaves the film as "good" for me: it's a fun way to spend an hour and a half, but not something I would scramble to rewatch anytime soon. This was the third time I've seen it in roughly ten years, I would say.

'Revanche'

I'm a huge fan of foreign films. This film had everything but solid pacing and a top-notch conclusion. To me, it was pretty much two hours of nothing. I figured it was just another slow burner - which I love - that would lead to some intense conclusion, but...nothing really happens. It's still a good movie - the acting and cinematography was phenomenal - but overall it felt like a bit of a waste of my time due to nothing really happening. In essence, if you've read the plot, you've seen the movie.
    Serpico
    Great movie and Pacino is at his best in this one.
    The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe (extended edition)

No big added scenes, just a few extra small things here & there that I appreciated. Either way it's an awesome flick.
    Creasy47 wrote:

I don't particularly care for it. You don't really see any of the deaths and there's a good 30-minute period or so where absolutely nothing happens. I don't know if the film attempted to present a twist or wild finale, but it failed on that regard, and it ended too abruptly for my tastes.

Speaking of Jamie Lee Curtis and 80's horror films, it appears 'Prom Night' is making its way to blu-ray:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=14389

EDIT: 'Insomnia' (1997)

Starring Stellan Skarsgard, I found this version to be much better than Nolan's remake version, especially the ending. I love seeing his descent into madness as he struggles with his inability to sleep, partly due to what has occured and also due to being in an area that doesn't see darkness for six months. Interesting little twist to a murder mystery.

I agree on the Skarsgard version being better. I think Pacino is the better actor (duh, he's a contender for the best actor period IMO) but I think Skarsgard is better at playing the kind of character featured in Insomniac. With the 2002 version I find it's Pacino playing Pacino; in the 1997 version I'm convinced that Stellan Skarsgard is a tortured individual.
    @StirredNotShaken, well said. Pacino is great in just about everything I've seen him in, but Skarsgard better fit that role.

'Three Outlaw Samurai' (1964).

Fantastic film that left me wondering for a long while who I should be rooting for, and who was right in wrong in such a political conflict. Also, the main character is our very own Tiger Tanaka! Was very nice seeing him and his two allies in the film slashing through countless bad guys. Fantastic film. Two samurai Criterion films down and I'm in love with both.