SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

Forster was crying like a baby about the short post production. He probably just cut everything in order to meet the deadline 8-X
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Germanlady wrote:
    Forster was crying like a baby about the short post production. He probably just cut everything in order to meet the deadline 8-X

I'd still love to see that alternate ending. The real one, not the videogame version of it.
  • RC7RC7
    Germanlady wrote:

The problem with the QoS production is solely due to the pre-production/production problems, he obviously got in to the edit not really knowing what he had on his hands. It was destined to be a difficult cut as it was lacking the necessary foundations. If Mendes knows the story he wants to tell, the edit shouldn't be too much of a hassle. It's not like we're waiting on a VFX piece.
    I really have a hard time to shut up about Forster, as there is so much wasted material due to his "I want it to be like a bullit" idea.

But that's the past, so lets hope, the future looks brighter.
    Interesting fact P&W state in this interview, is that Skyfall was the first of the 5 Bond films they worked on, where they worked along side the director during the writing process. This could explain the disconnect with what was actually written for TWINE and DAD, and the end product.

P&W get slighted quite a bit by fans, but as someone mentioned above, it has never been fully documented what there exact contribution has been on the films, so we can't say "oh well, TWINE or DAD were bad Bond films, so it must be the work of P&W." Based on their interviews, they at least show an affinity for Fleming, which is reassuring, and they have been involved at least in 2 successes: CR and SF. So I remain optomistic, that as long as there is a strong collaborative process with director and writers, we could still see a good product in B24.

<url>
  • RC7RC7
    edited July 2014 Posts: 10,512
    Germanlady wrote:
    I really have a hard time to shut up about Forster, as there is so much wasted material due to his "I want it to be like a bullit" idea.

His intentions were admirable, but I think the only element that he executed with precision was the short running time. I don't think it was the 70's style revenge movie he was hoping for.

As for P&W - I don't ever remember them shifting the blame (DAD) or courting attention (CR & SF), they seem pretty consistent and professional about the process. Perhaps that's why they have returned as many times as they have. After all, I think it is quite clear that Bond prevails when it is a thoroughly collaborative process. As soon as it drifts into auteur territory it loses its charm and its ability to entertain. I think it's worth reminding ourselves, these are supposed to hit you between the eyes and leave you dazzled. They're not movies made to appease the Oscar luvvies and hardened critics.
    That's one of the many things I love about QoS, it stands out: shorter, very action-packed Bond film, moving from set piece to set piece. It's different and I love it.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    This is copied from David Zaritskys Facebook page "The Bond Experience".
    It's not much information but it is something:

"Hello gang,
    Wanted to share some news. At Tom Ford yesterday, it was shared with us that Craig was refitted at Tom Ford only 4 days ago in the NYC store. In addition to being fitted for clothing there was a discussion of what he might be wearing from a casual standpoint. I was able to see blue chukka boots, a very strange purplish/royal blue jacket, and a VERY cool black bomber. No suits were discussed but most of his clothes will be from the 2015 lines and thus nothing discussed is available publicly yet....watch this space though for more news to come as it breaks and of course right now none of these things might be in the film...but it's a first glimmer......here are some fun pics of our visit (3 hours, 3 bottles of champagne, and too much money later)...also, my wife and I attended a Washington DC event this past Saturday and I was able to wear a certain SkyFall tuxedo...just fun stuff....
    "
    RC7 wrote:
    As soon as it drifts into auteur territory it loses its charm and its ability to entertain. I think it's worth reminding ourselves, these are supposed to hit you between the eyes and leave you dazzled. They're not movies made to appease the Oscar luvvies and hardened critics.

Exactly. This is why I had some reservations about the future prospects of an exclusively written Logan script for the next 2 films. For one, I have yet to see Logan produce a thoroughly satisfying and convincing <i>original</i> screenplay. If you look at his credits, his major features were mostly committee affairs: Gladiator, Last Samurai, Rango, and Skyfall, or adaptations of previously written work or ideas: Hugo, Sweeney Todd. His original stories haven't been great: Star Trek is the obvious example. But secondly, Logan and Mendes both come from the theatre world, and I think having them both be the main creative forces behind the Bond project, could have the potential of steering the film too far into stagey/drama territory and thus losing the 'dazzle' in the process. From the latest news bits, it would appear this may have been the 'polite turmoil' we have been reading about already.

So I think P&W could provide a nice polarity of more traditional Bondian punch and flaire to Mendes' more thematic, theatrical instincts.
    RC7 wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

His intentions were admirable, but I think the only element that he executed with precision was the short running time. I don't think it was the 70's style revenge movie he was hoping for.

As for P&W - I don't ever remember them shifting the blame (DAD) or courting attention (CR & SF), they seem pretty consistent and professional about the process. Perhaps that's why they have returned as many times as they have. After all, I think it is quite clear that Bond prevails when it is a thoroughly collaborative process. As soon as it drifts into auteur territory it loses its charm and its ability to entertain. I think it's worth reminding ourselves, these are supposed to hit you between the eyes and leave you dazzled. They're not movies made to appease the Oscar luvvies and hardened critics.

I agree about Forster, but not about the auteur territory. Bond has changed as have all the other franchises into more personal, into more artistically challenged terrain. So - the dirction of hiring more artsy directors is right IMO.
    MrBond wrote:
    This is copied from David Zaritskys Facebook page "The Bond Experience".
    It's not much information but it is something:

"Hello gang,
    Wanted to share some news. At Tom Ford yesterday, it was shared with us that Craig was refitted at Tom Ford only 4 days ago in the NYC store. In addition to being fitted for clothing there was a discussion of what he might be wearing from a casual standpoint. I was able to see blue chukka boots, a very strange purplish/royal blue jacket, and a VERY cool black bomber. No suits were discussed but most of his clothes will be from the 2015 lines and thus nothing discussed is available publicly yet....watch this space though for more news to come as it breaks and of course right now none of these things might be in the film...but it's a first glimmer......here are some fun pics of our visit (3 hours, 3 bottles of champagne, and too much money later)...also, my wife and I attended a Washington DC event this past Saturday and I was able to wear a certain SkyFall tuxedo...just fun stuff....
    "

He wore desert chukka boots in the beach scenes while in hiding in SF. Perhaps we will see DC in some more casual wear in B24

I hope they loosen the fit up a bit though on his suits for B24. Someone of DC's stocky build shouldn't be wearing such a tight fit as he did in SF IMO.

He also wore brown chukkas in Haiti in QoS. Seems his Bond is a big fan of them!

@JBFan626, agreed on the suits. They look better (to me) when they're tight fitting, but Bond wearing tucked in shirts, tight pants, and a tight, unbuttoned peacoat while moving around violently during that skyscraper fight had me curious as to how he could move so well in something so restricting.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 6,601
    .oops ... too late...
    @Germanlady, posted just a few posts up. :-)

Happy to hear that Tom Ford will return for B24. He makes some of the greatest outfits.
    The suits from Tom Ford are fantastic, but in hindsight, I can't help thinking they're just a bit too flashy and "over-tailored". Certainly from a literary point of view, Bond's position on clothing seems predominantly influenced by utility, comfort and quality. Perhaps return to Brioni, or even Savile Row?
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    He looked great in Skyfall, but I think I would prefer a cut not so tightly fitted. Just my take on that.
    Yes, they were a bit too tight.
    JBFan626 wrote:
    Interesting fact P&W state in this interview, is that Skyfall was the first of the 5 Bond films they worked on, where they worked along side the director during the writing process. This could explain the disconnect with what was actually written for TWINE and DAD, and the end product.

P&W get slighted quite a bit by fans, but as someone mentioned above, it has never been fully documented what there exact contribution has been on the films, so we can't say "oh well, TWINE or DAD were bad Bond films, so it must be the work of P&W." Based on their interviews, they at least show an affinity for Fleming, which is reassuring, and they have been involved at least in 2 successes: CR and SF. So I remain optomistic, that as long as there is a strong collaborative process with director and writers, we could still see a good product in B24.

<url>

Interesting interview. What do we know they did in TWINE and DAD (or others) that deserved criticism? I mean what bad idea do we know for sure is theirs? There must be some, obviously.
    Surely they carry some blame, but as we (or at least certainly I) am not privy to the different stages of the drafts, let alone the shooting script; nor being on set to hear the director's input ... it is just general assumptions. Their overall body of work has some very good things in it, so I am trying to be hopeful. They are professional and they know Bond and we have Mendes helming it. A collaborative effort on the script is not a bad thing; I just hope it is being done efficiently and effectively now.
    JBFan626 wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    As soon as it drifts into auteur territory it loses its charm and its ability to entertain. I think it's worth reminding ourselves, these are supposed to hit you between the eyes and leave you dazzled. They're not movies made to appease the Oscar luvvies and hardened critics.

Exactly. This is why I had some reservations about the future prospects of an exclusively written Logan script for the next 2 films. For one, I have yet to see Logan produce a thoroughly satisfying and convincing <i>original</i> screenplay. If you look at his credits, his major features were mostly committee affairs: Gladiator, Last Samurai, Rango, and Skyfall, or adaptations of previously written work or ideas: Hugo, Sweeney Todd. His original stories haven't been great: Star Trek is the obvious example. But secondly, Logan and Mendes both come from the theatre world, and I think having them both be the main creative forces behind the Bond project, could have the potential of steering the film too far into stagey/drama territory and thus losing the 'dazzle' in the process. From the latest news bits, it would appear this may have been the 'polite turmoil' we have been reading about already.

So I think P&W could provide a nice polarity of more traditional Bondian punch and flaire to Mendes' more thematic, theatrical instincts.

I was never a big fan of Logan for the same reason. I don't think he is that great a scriptwriter. I was actually happy to know he would take a less active role in the script.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited July 2014 Posts: 4,450
    Transformers 4/Agent of Shield/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles stunt guy Kenji Knakamura confirmd for Bond 24 http://www.imdb.com/name/nm6596522/ For 2015 he also work on Jurassic Park 4.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    If Tom Ford suits return, I'll be extremely pleased. They've been good to the Craig era, I just hope the fits are a lot looser. The suits in Skyfall were great but way too tight on Daniel.
    So 3 votes for not so tight suits. :)
    I'm sure I'll get to see Daniel in shorts or a swimsuit at some point in Bond 24.
    But in a suit, I want it a bit looser mainly because I think it will seem more elegant, and I'd like that for him.
    I just saw that Helen McCrory, who played Clair Dowar the MP in Skyfall, is playing the title role Medea on the National Theatre. Mendes having directed King Lear and Paul Ritter (Guy Haines in QOS) being in another production, I am wondering: is there some kind of deal between the NT and Eon?

Okay, more wishful thinking from my part.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    Shardlake wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    Shardlake wrote:
    I love the way the SF haters are making out the earlier scripts by the veterans were utter gold, seriously give me CR, QOS and SF over dreck like DAF, LALD or MR for that matter.

I think some people have rose tinted specs on when they look at the earlier films, some of the dialogue in the earlier period was cringe worthy.

I do not hate SF or QoB but honestly they did not have the best of scripts on which they shot the movie, even DC admits that with QoB (Oh my god, the man is a hater!)

And to be honest a lot of the earlier movies were overall pretty great and denying that is somewhat hatefull. Might I add denying the strength of 007's past heritage is a poor show for anybody calling himself a James Bond fan. All three movie you consider dreck are great movies and have a lot that could make this era a better one.
    Shardlake wrote:
    Anything to knock this new era and then making out the older films screenplays were genius is just laughable.

I do not need to knock out this new era, it is perfectly capable of doing it by itself. If the next Bond movie is as poor as QoB & SF I hope that the next performer is for Bond 25. And with any delays on production DC is getting older and might just pass the baton. He does no longer have to do it for the dosh.

Just because you like the older films doesn't make your opionion anymore valid plus I'm willing to move with the times whereas you'd likely be happy if they were museum pieces that had not moved on one bit or that is what I get the impression with criticism of this era and the constant brown nosing of the older films.

Brown nosing? The fact alone that someone states he considers the first bond movies were better and more solidly scripted doesn't make him up brown Noser. Even the so much vaunted CR has some real script issues logic wise and SF solidly holds the title of being the one movie in the franchise that is holding less logic than a Donald Duck comic book. Richard Maibaum might not have been a genius,but he was very very able for sure. Something that certainly can't be said of Mr Logan!

Seriously it's convenient to forget the raft of plot holes in the previous films and now SF is the most illogical film of the series?

Look I get some didn't like it and almost loathe it's Billion dollar haul but seriously anyone would think it was one of the most poorly made and constructed blockbusters of recent memory the way you harp on about it.

I'll take all of the so called problems with the DC era over a good percentage of the previous films but I guess this doesn't make me a fan because I can't just fall down and worship all the previous films and Logan's ineptitude is just pure opinion not fact like so many of you here keep thrusting down our throats. I've said it before I'm glad the series isn't in the hands of the likes of fan boys on this site, my god what a god awful mish mash of fan wank we'd have on our hands.
    I have a good feeling we're at the top of the roller coaster, just starting to roll down the first drop into the exciting part. Bring on the cast and crew announcements!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I want to see this "very strange purplish/royal blue jacket".
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    Shardlake wrote:
    I've said it before I'm glad the series isn't in the hands of the likes of fan boys on this site, my god what a god awful mish mash of fan wank we'd have on our hands.

Buy this man a pint.
    edited July 2014 Posts: 12,459
    If he heads this way, I'm happy to give him some sake. ;)

What do you think, Shardlake? Coming to the Land of the Rising Sun anytime this year?
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    M_Balje wrote:
    Transformers 4/Agent of Shield/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles stunt guy Kenji Knakamura confirmd for Bond 24 http://www.imdb.com/name/nm6596522/ For 2015 he also work on Jurassic Park 4.
    Thanks for posting, @M_Balje. I assume this means we could be getting a Japanese henchman/ally/etc. He also does martial arts, so we could be seeing some brutal fight scenes in Bond24. This news has also been confirmed on his twitter page BTW.

https://twitter.com/KenjiKnakamura