James Bond on Blu-ray/4K

Comments

• Anyone who does not have the Bond 50 set, like me should check this out. http://www.nomorerack.com/daily_deals/view/819471-bond_50_complete_23_film_collection_on_blu_ray_with_bonus_disc

Low price of $39.99!!!
    $39.99????? This is a phenomenal deal! I already have a copy of this, but I might by an extra at this price!!
    Out of stock on that last deal, man I should have pulled the trigger immediately. Oh well.
    sorry for double post, i only pushed once.
  • So I received a PayPal refund. They say they had a distributor problem. Anyone know where to get this set for cheap? :(
    That sucks man! I was hoping you were getting it. Lowest I have seen has been $99 and I think that was during Black Friday. Right now it is $136.48 from Amazon. I think that's too much. I'd either wait for the Bond 50 set to come down to $99 or less again, or wait and snag the individual Bluray cases the next time Best Buy, or someone puts them on sale for $5 a piece. Personally I like the cases better anyways.
  • I kinda like the whole set, though
  • Pajan005Pajan005 Stockholm, Sweden
    I didn't buy the Bond 50 box-set. I bought them all individually. It's easier to pick one out when you feel like watching.
  • I've just got my mitts on the DN blu-ray and the picture is impeccable, looking at the image I can see every potmark and bead of sweat on Connery's face. Watching it is almost like travelling back in time; in fact it almost feels like I'm watching the film for the first time.

One thing, and it's far from a problem: There is a slim black bar on either side of the screen.

I imagine this is the same for all the 60's Bond films but why is it there?
    Furthermore, does the 2008 DB blu-ray also have the same skinny bar?
    Finally, I have other blurays from the 50's and 60's, why don't they have the skinny bar? This is the first I've seen of it in films that are not shot in academy ratio.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    I've just got my mitts on the DN blu-ray and the picture is impeccable, looking at the image I can see every potmark and bead of sweat on Connery's face. Watching it is almost like travelling back in time; in fact it almost feels like I'm watching the film for the first time.

One thing, and it's far from a problem: There is a slim black bar on either side of the screen.

I imagine this is the same for all the 60's Bond films but why is it there?
    Furthermore, does the 2008 DB blu-ray also have the same skinny bar?
    Finally, I have other blurays from the 50's and 60's, why don't they have the skinny bar? This is the first I've seen of it in films that are not shot in academy ratio.

It's actually appearing on the UE DVDs too. I suspect that was the first edition with those black bars. It might have something to do with the transfer to widescreen?
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England

It's to do with the fact that blu-rays are encoded (mostly) at the proper aspect ratio, this means that the first three Bonds and LALD and TMWTGG will have slight black bar to the sides as the 16:9 ratio is slightly wider than the 35mm frame - previous DVDs have filled a 16:9 frame which either meant that a small amount of picture information was missing top and bottom or the picture was stretched. What you are seeing with the blu-ray is the full image as shown in the cinemas in the 60s and 70s.
  • I just found it odd when I put DN on my macbook (which already crops widescreen films at the top) and the bars appeared at the side. The Macbook essentially frames the picture with the black bars on all sides of the screen which I found unusual but I checked my DN UE and it is the same.

In regards to aspect ratio talk, Skyfall says it was shot in 1.35, but would it be fair to say that the aspect ratio is closer to 1.39?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Today only, FoxConnect is having a 50% off sale on old classics. There are a lot of James Bond blu-rays that range from $5-$6.50 a film. Promo code is TNT.

http://www.foxconnect.com/promos/throwback-thursday.html?format=128&limit=64
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Birdleson wrote:
    I am the only one who chucked the piece of cardboard and actually put their SKYFALL Blu-Ray in the marked slot in the Boxed Set?

Nope, I did as well.
    Birdleson wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    Birdleson wrote:
    I am the only one who chucked the piece of cardboard and actually put their SKYFALL Blu-Ray in the marked slot in the Boxed Set?

Nope, I did as well.

Cool.

I did it too. [img][/img]
    Amazon.de has the Bond50 blu ray box for less than 100,- Euro. I just couldn´t resist. I hope it´s not full of faulty discs. I´ll try my best to check them all out asap :-).

http://www.amazon.de/James-Bond-007-Jubiläums-Collection-Skyfall/dp/B00DRYZDSK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1401123417&sr=8-2&keywords=bond+50+blu+ray
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 5,767
    I´m absolutely amazed at the quality of some of the old films on br. I only checked GF and TB so far. Those two look so much better than on dvd!
    I was a stubborn defender of dvd, and I still wouldn´t say that one should get each and every film on br (All the President´s Men for instance doesn´t look better on br), but if old films are restored like this there´s no way around br. I don´t know if it´s the br format, or just a really good restauration, but James Bond on blu ray is a must. At least for the older films.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    boldfinger wrote:
    I´m absolutely amazed at the quality of some of the old films on br. I only checked GF and TB so far. Those two look so much better than on dvd!
    I was a stubborn defender of dvd, and I still wouldn´t say that one should get each and every film on br (All the President´s Men for instance doesn´t look better on br), but if old films are restored like this there´s no way around br. I don´t know if it´s the br format, or just a really good restauration, but James Bond on blu ray is a must. At least for the older films.

Wait until you see DN and FRWL. I almost proposed to the discs.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Blu ray for the most part is night and day to DVD, yes some like ATPM are not great upgrades but I couldn't go back to DVD, unfortunately it seems the format has not been as embraced as expected.

I blame the manufacturers, they should of stop producing DVD players and then slowly phased out the discs, The players will play normal DVD's anyway so what it is the point of having DVD players anymore? In the UK they still release some discs just on DVD?

That said the Bond films do look stunning, DN and FRWL are quite astonishing.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 5,767
    boldfinger wrote:

At the moment, I feel like I can´t decide which one to watch next. I may watch all of them in one big rush. Who needs drugs if one can get such a high? This is heaven on earth >:D< .
    Shardlake wrote:
    Blu ray for the most part is night and day to DVD, yes some like ATPM are not great upgrades but I couldn't go back to DVD, unfortunately it seems the format has not been as embraced as expected.

I blame the manufacturers, they should of stop producing DVD players and then slowly phased out the discs, The players will play normal DVD's anyway so what it is the point of having DVD players anymore? In the UK they still release some discs just on DVD?
    It´s a bit confusing because quite a few older films are handled sloppily on br, and new films, albeit looking sharper, sometimes don´t better than on dvd.
    I agree that getting rid of dvd players would be a good idea, especially since dvds usually anyhow look much better on a br player.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    boldfinger wrote:
    boldfinger wrote:

At the moment, I feel like I can´t decide which one to watch next. I may watch all of them in one big rush. Who needs drugs if one can get such a high? This is heaven on earth >:D< .

I say that about music, film, books and more all the time. I don't get why people do drugs either when those things when good can get you higher than any known substance.
    I say that about music, film, books and more all the time. I don't get why people do drugs either when those things when good can get you higher than any known substance.
    Yeah, that´s so true! And even with expensive tickets, it´s still so much cheaper than drugs.

• JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    Shardlake wrote:

That said the Bond films do look stunning, DN and FRWL are quite astonishing.

Dr. No and FRWL are absolutely breathtaking, especially for films more than 50 years old! Lowry did a marvellous job on the remastering.

I picked up the Bond 50 blu-Ray set a few weeks ago and the picture quality is stunning. Am now watching through them all in order for the first time in ages and it's like I'm being re-introduced to them all again. Loving it!

The only indirect downside is that the early Bond's look so good I decided to buy The Great Escape which was made around the same and which I thought would look amazing on blu-ray. Big disappointment, someone needs to let Lowry get their hands on it.
    On Monday morning starting at 3 AM, Amazon will have the 'Bond 50' complete set on blu-ray for 69% off. Someone estimated it at $92.99, but that price could be totally different.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=242435
    jaydubya76 wrote:
    it's like I'm being re-introduced to them all again. Loving it!
    I know exactly what you mean :-).

Since there are no credits for each seperate film in the packaging, does anyone know if there is a database with a concise listing of the credits for each Bond film? So I could download it or print it out? I enjoy looking up from time to time who was part of the crew for this or that film.

edited June 2014 Posts: 40,492
    Forget the deal from yesterday, FoxConnect has a checkout code today (SHAKEN) that will get you the 'Bond 50' complete set on blu-ray for roughly $73.

http://www.foxconnect.com/bond-50-celebrating-five-decades-of-bond-with-skyfall.html

EDIT: Looks like they've altered it after the deal showed some popularity, so with the code, it's jumped up to $110, or roughly $4.78 per film. I'm sure most of you have it by now, but it's a good deal if you've yet to jump on it and have been wanting it.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Question: does Blu Ray make the rear projection in early films look more fake?
    chrisisall wrote:
    Question: does Blu Ray make the rear projection in early films look more fake?

I think it's been obvious on both DVD and blu-ray. I haven't watched a Bond film on DVD in a loooong time, so I can't really compare the two.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Well, the rear projection in TLD actually looks better on my BR...