James Bond on Blu-ray/4K

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    It's because you get a chance to rewatch them.
    Bounine wrote:
    boldfinger wrote:
    JBFan626 wrote:
    I have a question for those who own the box-sets. Do you find that having all 23 Bond films at your finger tips diminishing your appreciation of the films?
    Quite the opposite, in fact. Once I had the box set, I discovered that even those films I used to dislike offer very likeable qualities.

Out of curiosity, which films do you dislike and why did you decide they offered likeable qualities once you owned the box set?
    I didn´t like TMWTGG when I saw it before on tv, and I didn´t like TWINE when I watched it in the theatre. Both films didn´t have that certain Bond aura I was expecting.
    Once I got the box set, I started with those two, basically in order to be done with them and put them somewhere I don´t see them. Watching them without strict expectations regarding Bond films, I found them to be highly entertaining adventure films. They taught me to get rid of too tight predispositions concerning how a Bond film should be.
    Recently however I tend to neglect the Brosnan films, because he just doesn´t fit in between badass Dalton and badass Craig.

JBFan626 wrote:
    I have a question for those who own the box-sets. Do you find that having all 23 Bond films at your finger tips diminishing your appreciation of the films? I've never owned the complete collection, and try to space out the time before viewings at least by a few months. My fear with owning the set, though very tempting, is that I would watch the movies all the time and grow tired of them. I like watching Bond films as an event - preferably in a theatre, or over vacation when I can really soak them in. I'm sure it's different for each person. What are your thoughts? At the price the Blu-Ray set is going for now, I'm really tempted to pull the trigger and get it...
    Very interesting that you bring that up, because I have not watched a Bond film in it's entirety since Skyfall back in February. Hell, it's been months since I've even watched a clip of a movie.

I have just memorized these movies so much I am never in the mood to watch them anymore. It is kind of scaring me, but maybe one day my Bond movie starvation will make me crave them all the more.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 2,598
    SJK91 wrote:
    JBFan626 wrote:
    I have a question for those who own the box-sets. Do you find that having all 23 Bond films at your finger tips diminishing your appreciation of the films? I've never owned the complete collection, and try to space out the time before viewings at least by a few months. My fear with owning the set, though very tempting, is that I would watch the movies all the time and grow tired of them. I like watching Bond films as an event - preferably in a theatre, or over vacation when I can really soak them in. I'm sure it's different for each person. What are your thoughts? At the price the Blu-Ray set is going for now, I'm really tempted to pull the trigger and get it...
    Very interesting that you bring that up, because I have not watched a Bond film in it's entirety since Skyfall back in February. Hell, it's been months since I've even watched a clip of a movie.

I have just memorized these movies so much I am never in the mood to watch them anymore. It is kind of scaring me, but maybe one day my Bond movie starvation will make me crave them all the more.

Do what I did a few years ago. Don't watch a single Bond film for one year or more. I felt like I had to do this as I was becoming sick of them.

@boldfinger I haven't watched a Brosnan Bond film in years. I just don't really like them. Bad dialogue, too much action and I don't like Brosnan as Bond as I don't think he acts particularly well. Overall, I haven't watched the Brosnan films anywhere near as often as the other entries. They do have the odd scene that I enjoy though.
    Coming back to dvd vs br, I just watched Dr. No SE dvd on my new 32" tv, and while I´m sure the br has a more de-grained picture, this dvd is far from being outdated, it looked fantastic, there was nothing that kept me from enjoying the film.
    Unlike for instance my Jaws dvd, which I didn´t like to watch anymore on the new bigger tv.
    How does Moonraker look on standard DVD? Some said that the lighting is off in parts such as the space station appearing too dark. What are your thoughts on this?
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 12,269
    So I just purchased the fairly new Bond 50 set including Skyfall on Blu-Ray, but I had a couple questions for those that own the set already. First, it's to my understanding that in the original Bond 50 set, the Quantum of Solace menu hadn't been updated; has it received the update in this set with Skyfall? Also, does the Skyfall disc have the classic menu and same look as the other discs in the collection?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    FoxRox wrote:
    So I just purchased the fairly new Bond 50 set including Skyfall on Blu-Ray, but I had a couple questions for those that own the set already. First, it's to my understanding that in the original Bond 50 set, the Quantum of Solace menu hadn't been updated; has it received the update in this set with Skyfall? Also, does the Skyfall disc have the classic menu and same look as the other discs in the collection?

Having not seen the updated set with SF I am in a position to answer your questions unequivocally:

No and no.

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    FoxRox wrote:

Having not seen the updated set with SF I am in a position to answer your questions unequivocally:

No and no.

They just refuse to spend the money on it don't they, Ice?
    Was told to post my question here;
    Does the new Bond 50 set with Skyfall change Quantum of Solace's menu as well as Skyfall's to match the others?
  • RC7RC7
    FoxRox wrote:
    Does the new Bond 50 set with Skyfall change Quantum of Solace's menu as well as Skyfall's to match the others?

No.
    FoxRox wrote:

Would that I could go happily go through life with your innocent and optimistic world view FoxRox but alas I have to live in a world where WMD dossiers get sexed up, the NSA and GCHQ hack all our e-mails and EON treat the fans not even with contempt (which at least would be an emotive reaction) but just utter apathetic indifference when it comes to Bond merchandise.

I really think in the interests of all someone should set up a meeting for Babs and MGW with George Lucas. Say what you like about how many times George dips into your pocket but he gets away with it because the products he brings out are by and large desirable and well crafted.

When it comes to marketing what, after Star Wars, is the biggest (f**k off Potter you speccy little twat) film franchise in cinema even Venkys could give EON a few pointers.
    That's odd that they changed the menu on royale and not the last two then...
    Oh well.
    FoxRox wrote:
    Oh well.

That's the spirit old chap! Vive la revolution!!

How might history have turned out if Gavrilo Princip, Lenin and Hitler and just said 'Oh well' and gone to make a cup of tea and watch Bargain Hunt?

Remember all it takes for 007 Legends to prosper is for good men to do nothing.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Say what you like about how many times George dips into your pocket but he gets away with it because the products he brings out are by and large desirable and well crafted.
    Perhaps but at least EON doesn't keep changing their classic films by inserting those horrible and pointless CGI additions. One shudders to think what would happen if Lucas had free reign over the early Bond films.
    Bounine wrote:
    How does Moonraker look on standard DVD? Some said that the lighting is off in parts such as the space station appearing too dark. What are your thoughts on this?
    The SE looks splendid, the UE is a little dark.

Lol about the movies it's not that big of a deal; it's just a bit weird that they decided to keep the last two different, making them stick out in the collection. However, having two with different menus is better than one XD
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Oh, for crying out loud, it's just the main menus. It isn't like EON had their effects team go into all the early Connery films and give Bond a damn unibrow or something. The fuss over this little issue is coming to equal the gun barrel debate of the Craig era, which soured months ago.
    edited December 2013 Posts: 9,117
    Oh, for crying out loud, it's just the main menus. It isn't like EON had their effects team go into all the early Connery films and give Bond a damn unibrow or something. The fuss over this little issue is coming to equal the gun barrel debate of the Craig era, which soured months ago.

Not really. Although it is a minor issue and ultimately doesn't really matter its indicative of a larger problem of EON:

a) being inept at marketing
    b) not giving a toss

If you're creating the ultimate Bond 50th anniversary box set wouldn't you go the extra (extremely tiny) effort of making it all match? Just shows a lack of respect to the fans:

Junior EON YTS Gimp: Shall I bother copying the same menu onto the QOS disc as all the others?
    Cynical EON Head of Marketing: What? No that might take 5 mins. Just use the old one. These mugs will buy anything anyway. Now hurry up and we should be able to knock out the extras disc and finish 007 Legends from scratch by lunch. That will be the Bluray box set and 007 Legends nailed - not a bad mornings work. This 50th anniversary stuff is a piece of piss.

Not really. Although it is a minor issue and ultimately doesn't really matter its indicative of a larger problem of EON:

a) being inept at marketing
    b) not giving a toss

If you're creating the ultimate Bond 50th anniversary box set wouldn't you go the extra (extremely tiny) effort of making it all match? Just shows a lack of respect to the fans:

Junior EON YTS Gimp: Shall I bother copying the same menu onto the QOS disc as all the others?
    Cynical EON Head of Marketing: What? No that might take 5 mins. Just use the old one. These mugs will buy anything anyway. Now hurry up and we should be able to knock out the extras disc and finish 007 Legends from scratch by lunch. That will be the Bluray box set and 007 Legends nailed - not a bad mornings work. This 50th anniversary stuff is a piece of piss.

There you have it, and that's exactly why I couldn't care less where the gun barrel goes in a Bond film. People shouldn't fuss over it and just be happy it's there in the first place.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I've never bought a film for its Main Menu. I buy it for the film.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 12,269
    Geez people lol I love how some of you are getting annoyed about me over this. I'm ok if the last two movies don't have the same menus; it was just a simple, curious question.
    edited December 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Creasy47 wrote:

How outlandish of us, eh?! The idiocy we must display for not fawning over 10 seconds or less of looped footage...
    FoxRox wrote:
    Geez people lol I love how some of you are getting annoyed about me over this. I'm ok if the last two movies don't have the same menus; it was just a simple, curious question.

I'm not getting annoyed by you at all, @FoxRox. You only just joined the forum, but rants about the title menus not matching have been going on ever since the Bond 50 set released by a select few on this forum. I was just airing my collective umbrage at it all, as I did regarding the Craig era gun barrel debate a while back.
    Creasy47 wrote:

How outlandish of us, eh?! The idiocy we must display for not fawning over 10 seconds or less of looped footage...
    FoxRox wrote:

I'm not getting annoyed by you at all, @FoxRox. You only just joined the forum, but rants about the title menus not matching have been going on ever since the Bond 50 set released by a select few on this forum. I was just airing my collective umbrage at it all, as I did regarding the Craig era gun barrel debate a while back.

Fair enough guys. Just remember I spoke up when you get the next 007 Legends or an alleged ultimate box set with new bonus disc of 'hours of extras' just cobbled from the other discs.

Or a Jinx spinoff film.
    edited December 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Creasy47 wrote:

FoxRox wrote:

Fair enough guys. Just remember I spoke up when you get the next 007 Legends or an alleged ultimate box set with new bonus disc of 'hours of extras' just cobbled from the other discs.

Or a Jinx spinoff film.

I won't ever be getting any of the aforementioned Activision Bond games, I assure you of that, and I don't care to get the box set either, so you don't have to act like you're staring a revolution when around me, especially regarding the box set. After all, the best way to strike back against the makers of a product is by not buying it, yet those that complain the most about the box sets are the same ones that shelled out the cash for it. If you're going to start a revolution against a corrupt establishment, you don't go out the next day and buy their $5 dollar buttons, party t-shirts and coffee mugs, do you? As I said, people pick on the box sets because the menus don't match and criticize the presentation of the box they come in when they could actually be discussing the important stuff, like how the restorations of the films look, how the audio was tweaked and how good the colors look for each release. You know, stuff actually pertaining to the Bond films themselves! I've said all I wanted to at this point, and don't care to say more. If you've got something against EON, send them a strongly worded e-mail criticizing their marketing strategies and design choices that'll likely get automatically sent to their spam box anyway. You may hate that the menus don't match, @Wizard, but not even your magic wand is going to fix that now.
    Creasy47 wrote:

FoxRox wrote:

Or a Jinx spinoff film.

I won't ever be getting any of the aforementioned Activision Bond games, I assure you of that, and I don't care to get the box set either, so you don't have to act like you're staring a revolution when around me, especially regarding the box set. After all, the best way to strike back against the makers of a product is by not buying it, yet those that complain the most about the box sets are the same ones that shelled out the cash for it. If you're going to start a revolution against a corrupt establishment, you don't go out the next day and buy their $5 dollar buttons, party t-shirts and coffee mugs, do you? As I said, people pick on the box sets because the menus don't match and criticize the presentation of the box they come in when they could actually be discussing the important stuff, like how the restorations of the films look, how the audio was tweaked and how good the colors look for each release. You know, stuff actually pertaining to the Bond films themselves! I've said all I wanted to at this point, and don't care to say more. If you've got something against EON, send them a strongly worded e-mail criticizing their marketing strategies and design choices that'll likely get automatically sent to their spam box anyway. You may hate that the menus don't match, @Wizard, but not even your magic wand is going to fix that now.

Well given that there is no other way to own all the Bond films on Bluray except by buying this box set EON have us by the balls.

With 007 Legends I think EON did cross a line that resulted in a virtual boycott. I certainly never went near it and I get the impression many other members here did the same. Hopefully pitiful sales will see a rethink but I'm not holding my breath.

The menus are an entirely inconsequential cosmetic thing at the end of the day but if it's the films themselves you are talking about then this article illustrates the contempt EON have for an Oscar winning soundtrack:

http://www.007magazine.co.uk/bond50_review.htm

Actually I think 'contempt' is a bit unfair. I think it's just utter indifference although I don't know which is worse.

But I'm the only one who seems to care about their slipshod attitude so my voice counts for nothing - just as Churchill's did in the 30's.
    Creasy47 wrote:

FoxRox wrote:

No hard feelings then? Either way I can't wait to get it; I've heard the quality is much improved over the original versions. Btw nice icon
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @TheWizardOfIce, that's not the only way, as I purchased the films separately and ignored the box set.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    There you have it, and that's exactly why I couldn't care less where the gun barrel goes in a Bond film. People shouldn't fuss over it and just be happy it's there in the first place.
    This thread isn't the place for a gun barrel opening debate so I'm not going to get into that tired argument with you. However, I couldn't disagree with you more that I should just be happy that it's there at all. I'd actually be happier if they removed it entirely if it's not at the beginning. Yes, there are people out there who feel that strongly about it just as there are people, like you, who are indifferent towards it. It doesn't ruin the film for me but it does take away something that I had enjoyed for years and I don't have to be happy about it.