James Bond on Blu-ray/4K

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @TheWizardOfIce, that's not the only way, as I purchased the films separately and ignored the box set.

That was not an option this time last year. They were only released individually later and having already waited for years for the likes of OHMSS and TLD unless you wanted to sit it out until they decided at some unspecified point in the future to release them the box set was your only choice.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm fairly certain that they released the box set and announced that the separate blu-ray releases would be sprinkled out throughout the coming months. I had an old DVD set, so I didn't find the need to rush into purchasing the box set. Just went with the separate films and saved myself a ton of cash.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I'm fairly certain that they released the box set and announced that the separate blu-ray releases would be sprinkled out throughout the coming months. I had an old DVD set, so I didn't find the need to rush into purchasing the box set. Just went with the separate films and saved myself a ton of cash.

Yeah well had they also realeased the fact that the box set would be a piss take then I might have done the same. More fool me for being so naive as to think they might make a special effort for the 50th I suppose.

Although given that £100 for 22 Blurays equates to less than a fiver per disc I'm not exactly sure how you saved a ton of cash given that you wouldn't even get them for that now.

I already had about six or seven of the blu-rays, so getting them separately was the only way to go. Most of them were only $10 a piece, so I did fine.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I already had about six or seven of the blu-rays, so getting them separately was the only way to go. Most of them were only $10 a piece, so I did fine.

Fair enough. We don't benefit from such cheap prices for new discs this side of the pond.
    You can get really good prices on a lot of blu-rays over here, it's the shipping costs that kills it. You can find a lot of blu-rays in a used/like new quality on Amazon, but then it costs more to ship it than the film itself. I'm just going with cheap prices from now on, I've purchased too many newer films at steep prices that I don't even end up watching for months at a time, and by the time I get around to it, it's $10 or so cheaper.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Well given that there is no other way to own all the Bond films on Bluray except by buying this box set EON have us by the balls.

With 007 Legends I think EON did cross a line that resulted in a virtual boycott. I certainly never went near it and I get the impression many other members here did the same. Hopefully pitiful sales will see a rethink but I'm not holding my breath.

The menus are an entirely inconsequential cosmetic thing at the end of the day but if it's the films themselves you are talking about then this article illustrates the contempt EON have for an Oscar winning soundtrack:

http://www.007magazine.co.uk/bond50_review.htm

Actually I think 'contempt' is a bit unfair. I think it's just utter indifference although I don't know which is worse.

But I'm the only one who seems to care about their slipshod attitude so my voice counts for nothing - just as Churchill's did in the 30's.

See, now what is mentioned in that link, like the remixed soundtracks, lack of new features and all that, is worth fussing over, and I agree with you and share your umbrage. I have no idea why you were making a mole hill out of the mismatched main menus when entire original soundtracks for the films were altered from their original mono format that were exhaustively mixed by talented men and women in the 60s. Having read that link, I am even more happy that I didn't pick up the Bond 50 set. I can see that some corner cutting and absolutely illogical decisions were made, and all for the $$$ from the pockets of people like you who didn't know ahead of time the deficiencies of the product they were purchasing.

I am more than happy with my two volumes of Connery Blu-rays collecting DN to YOLT and DAF, and if I ever get further Bond films in the high definition format, it shall not be through the lack luster cash cow that is the Bond 50 set. I find it tragically ironic how much UK purchasers got screwed over in comparison to us Yanks, and Bond isn't even our national character. I'm sorry for that, and apologize for teasing you and others in the past over the set, as in light of the new information I have just learned on the set, I understand your frustrations.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 6,396
    I wonder if there will ever be a time when we, the fans. are not treated with such disdain and contempt by film studios.

Who am I kidding, they didn't give a toss about us.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I wonder if there will ever be a time when we, the fans. are not treated with such disdain and contempt by film studios.

Who am I kidding, they didn't give a toss about us.

Exactly. As it has always been. It's called: "Show business" not "Show Show" or "Show Fans" or "Show Appreciation" It's a bottom line for profit business.
    Well given that there is no other way to own all the Bond films on Bluray except by buying this box set EON have us by the balls.

With 007 Legends I think EON did cross a line that resulted in a virtual boycott. I certainly never went near it and I get the impression many other members here did the same. Hopefully pitiful sales will see a rethink but I'm not holding my breath.

The menus are an entirely inconsequential cosmetic thing at the end of the day but if it's the films themselves you are talking about then this article illustrates the contempt EON have for an Oscar winning soundtrack:

Actually I think 'contempt' is a bit unfair. I think it's just utter indifference although I don't know which is worse.

But I'm the only one who seems to care about their slipshod attitude so my voice counts for nothing - just as Churchill's did in the 30's.

See, now what is mentioned in that link, like the remixed soundtracks, lack of new features and all that, is worth fussing over, and I agree with you and share your umbrage. I have no idea why you were making a mole hill out of the mismatched main menus when entire original soundtracks for the films were altered from their original mono format that were exhaustively mixed by talented men and women in the 60s. Having read that link, I am even more happy that I didn't pick up the Bond 50 set. I can see that some corner cutting and absolutely illogical decisions were made, and all for the $$$ from the pockets of people like you who didn't know ahead of time the deficiencies of the product they were purchasing.

I am more than happy with my two volumes of Connery Blu-rays collecting DN to YOLT and DAF, and if I ever get further Bond films in the high definition format, it shall not be through the lack luster cash cow that is the Bond 50 set. I find it tragically ironic how much UK purchasers got screwed over in comparison to us Yanks, and Bond isn't even our national character. I'm sorry for that, and apologize for teasing you and others in the past over the set, as in light of the new information I have just learned on the set, I understand your frustrations.

Uh, I'm a 'Yank'; how did the UK get screwed over worse? (just curious)?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited December 2013 Posts: 28,694
    FoxRox wrote:

It's all in the great link @Wizard posted. Basically the UK Bond 50 set doesn't offer the option to listen to the original mono soundtracks from the films' original releases, and they only get a crappy remixed soundtrack which villainously tinkers with the work of the original talented mixers, while the US Bond 50 set does offer the option to listen to the original mono track. In addition, both the US and UK sets each have certain exclusive cuts of some of the films, and since some of those discs are coded by region, a player that matches that region coding or that is region free is required, causing you even more expenditure. The Bond 50s sets are not uniform across all regions, are very sloppily put together with little to no new content added, and as @Wizard and many other have said, they are basically the equivalent of you wrapping up a gift you got a few years ago to give to someone else, pretending you just picked it up at the shop last weekend. Quite shameful indeed.
    FoxRox wrote:

It's all in the great link @Wizard posted. Basically the UK Bond 50 set doesn't offer the option to listen to the original mono soundtracks from the films' original releases, and they only get a crappy remixed soundtrack which villainously tinkers with the work of the original talented mixers, while the US Bond 50 set does offer the option to listen to the original mono track. In addition, both the US and UK sets each have certain exclusive cuts of some of the films, and since some of those discs are coded by region, a player that matches that region coding or that is region free is required, causing you even more expenditure. The Bond 50s sets are not uniform across all regions, are very sloppily put together with little to no new content added, and as @Wizard and many other have said, they are basically the equivalent of you wrapping up a gift you got a few years ago to give to someone else, pretending you just picked it up at the shop last weekend. Quite shameful indeed.

I see; that really is unfair. I don't know why that is. I'm mostly just wanting the movies anyway though, so it should be satisfactory enough.
    I love that the UK got the short end of the stick when it came to the 'Bond 50' set...yet James Bond is a UK thing. Don't you just love the logic?
    Tell me about it @Creasy47. We always get shafted when it comes to DVDs and BluRays. There are so many films over here that are 'Vanilla' compared to the extras laden versions in the U.S.
  • RC7RC7
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I love that the UK got the short end of the stick when it came to the 'Bond 50' set...yet James Bond is a UK thing. Don't you just love the logic?

That's the UK all over. We pay top whack for everything.
    RC7 wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

And obviously lets not get started on the way the Everything or Nothing documentary was handled. Basically a massive V sign from on EON to UK fans, not to mention the rest of the world.
    RC7 wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

And obviously lets not get started on the way the Everything or Nothing documentary was handled. Basically a massive V sign from on EON to UK fans, not to mention the rest of the world.

I'm unaware of this story (not the documentary of course, I've seen it). Why was it handled badly?
    edited December 2013 Posts: 9,117
    RC7 wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

I'm unaware of this story (not the documentary of course, I've seen it). Why was it handled badly?

Basically it was streamed for free on a US Netflix type site but in the UK just a very limited cinema release (obviously not for free - nearest cinema to me showing it was Leicester Sq at close to £20 a ticket) and the rest of the world (I think) didn't even get that.

Thank Christ for internet piracy is all I can say.
    I have never knowingly downloaded any bit torrent files from the internet. Ever (in case any lawyers are watching) ;-)
    I have never knowingly downloaded any bit torrent files from the internet. Ever (in case any lawyers are watching) ;-)

Neither have I. Ever....ever. ;-)

@TheWizardOfIce, again, here in the US, we got the documentary for free, and all the UK could do was pay to see it in theaters or pay for it on DVD/blu-ray. I wouldn't blame anyone for going to the Internet to watch it.
    Creasy47 wrote:

Neither have I. Ever....ever. ;-)

@TheWizardOfIce, again, here in the US, we got the documentary for free, and all the UK could do was pay to see it in theaters or pay for it on DVD/blu-ray. I wouldn't blame anyone for going to the Internet to watch it.

Well quite.

Obviously I have never seen it myself, given that I wasn't about to pay for it when yanks get it for free and I would never dream of resorting to piracy.

But I'm sure some unscrupulous types did download it illegally. Shocking, positively shocking.
    But then, for some reason, it wasn't released on DVD/blu-ray here in the States. Not sure what happened in all the decision-making for the documentary.
  • Yea, so we get it for free? I've not seen it because we can't get it on disc over here.
    Yea, so we get it for free? I've not seen it because we can't get it on disc over here.

If you have an Amazon Prime account, it's free to watch on the site.
  • I do not have Amazon Prime unfortunately
  • What do we make of the transfer of TSWLM?

I'm not sure if it's great or not. It looks quite pale and slightly washed out.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Spy-Who-Loved-Me-Blu-ray/3189/#Screenshots
    What do we make of the transfer of TSWLM?

I'm not sure if it's great or not. It looks quite pale and slightly washed out.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Spy-Who-Loved-Me-Blu-ray/3189/#Screenshots

Looks fine to me. I'd have to see it firsthand or in a comparison shot to a standard edition though, to be sure.
    TSWLM looks fantastic on blu-ray to me. Surprisingly the lowest quality transfers appear to be Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, and The World is Not Enough(which you maybe already aware of some of the polishing that went on in these films.) That's not to say they look horrible. They are still a fantastic upgrade from DVD.

Not to derail the topic of TSWLM or anything, but has anyone here attempted to rip their blurays to create movie files(mkv, mp4, etc.)? I don't have cable so I like to watch the films all the time, but would like to have them on a Harddrive connected to a media player that I have instead of loading the discs all the time. I'm afraid they are going to get scratched eventually. I'm embarrassed to admit that I bought each film in the individual cases, plus I bought the Bond 50 set. I'm a sucker for the cases, but liked the nice books with the 50 set as well. I know it takes a huge amount of storage, but I wouldn't mind getting a 1 or 2 TB harddrive to dedicate to just bond blurays. The other option is to buy the HDX(1080p) versions through VUDU for $2.00 per movie because I already own the discs. Purchasing without owning it would cost ($13.99 a piece, which is out of the question plus I don't want to be using my bandwidth to stream HDX while I'm playing games etc). Either way I will have to buy a bluray disc drive for my computer.

Anyone tried that yet?

@Ed83, they could've remedied that issue by just having UV codes for all of the Bond films: no blu-ray disc drive needed. I'm in the same boat, tons of movies I'd like to take with me when I go places, but I can't because my MacBook Pro won't play blu-rays unless I get a separate player for it.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 1,181
    Yes very disappointing no UV codes. The only one I have is for Skyfall. When I travel home for the holidays I usually have to pack a bluray drive and the disc books if I want to watch any. I do have most of the DVDs ripped, but they are mostly SE and I almost can't go back to watching on DVD after bluray. I don't want to sound like one of those bluray snobs or anything, but it really is that much better to me.