The Battle Of The Bonds Elimination Game. Post game discussion.

Comments

Friday

Sean Connery : 39
    George Lazenby : 6
    Roger Moore : 23 -1
    Timothy Dalton : 31
    Pierce Brosnan : 11 +1
    Daniel Craig : 28
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    Sean Connery : 39
    George Lazenby : 5 (-1)
    Roger Moore : 23
    Pierce Brosnan : 12 (+1)
    Sean Connery : 40 (+1)
    George Lazenby : 5
    Timothy Dalton : 30 (-1)
    Pierce Brosnan : 12
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 4,622
    jobo wrote:
    Just on a sidenote: Do we really know for certain that Lazenby willingly walked away? Its the official version now, yes, but only a handful of people know what really happened behind the scenes. Its apparent that the guy was difficult to work, that he occasionally did upset both his colleagues and Broccoly, and that he's reception with the masses was lukewarm at best. Its also pretty apparent that the producers did their best to wipe the slate clean and practically remove his legacy completely with the next release. It might be true that Laz didn't believe in the franchise, but I personally doubt its the only part of the story and the sole reason he left...

Anyway its a shame they didn't follow in the same path that OHMSS instigated. I find it to be a grave injustice that Peter Hunt didn't get another shot at directing. A great example of a decade where the producers, fans and the masses seemed to don't know what they really wanted... and even less what they "needed"...
    This has been discussed at length. I am sure there is a thread-link somewhere. But the reader's digest version is that he got bad advice from an agent, who thought the '60s Bond phenomenon would fizzle out with the exciting new decade to come. So Laz quit, despite being offered a long-term deal by Cub and Saltz.
    That snub p.o.'d the producers big time, so they told him he wasn't welcome back anymore, even if he did have the sense to change his mind, and the rest is history.

Personally, just my take, but I would say if you hand to say quit or fired, one or the other, I'd go with fired, because once Cub and Saltz made up their mind, he was gone. No groveling back. No door left open.
    But you could argue quit too, because he turned down their initial offer.

Edit: Changed my mind. If I had to take either-or, I'd say he more accurately quit. Because its not uncommon for employers to want nothing to do with employees who quit or threaten to quit, even if they had no intention of firing them in the first place.
    So Laz incited the Eon wrath by turning down their offer. He effectively quit IMO.

Although a distinction worth making, is that unlike Connery, Laz wasn't welcome back, once he got difficult. He was considered dispensable, while with the iconic Connery, the job was his, as long as he wanted it. They even begged him back when Laz was shown the door.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Frydai
    Sean Connery : 41
    George Lazenby : 5 +1
    Timothy Dalton : 30
    Pierce Brosnan : 11 -1
    zebrafish wrote:
    My prediction: Connery, Craig, Dalton, Moore, Brosnan, Lazenby

This will happen.Almost certain of it.
    George Lazenby : 4 (-1)
    Pierce Brosnan : 12 (+1)
    zebrafish wrote:

I'm sure @MajorDSmythe has one of his gif's ready should Craig finish above Dalton. ;-)
    zebrafish wrote:

I'm sure @MajorDSmythe has one of his gif's ready should Craig finish above Dalton. ;-)

And Thunder has a finger ready when Laz goes before Bros.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Do we have a member here who considers Lazenby to be the best Bond? Pardon my ignorance but I can't remember. It's seems a shame if we don't have at least one.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Friday Vote:

George Lazenby : 3 (-1)
    Pierce Brosnan : 13 (+1)
    pachazo wrote:
    Do we have a member here who considers Lazenby to be the best Bond? Pardon my ignorance but I can't remember. It's seems a shame if we don't have at least one.

@TheWizardOfIce. But he has retired.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Yes, I do recall him being fond of Laz now that you mention it. Hopefully he'll return someday.
    But do we have a member who considers Connery the worst Bond? That is the mindblowing question.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    We did on the old forum. Connery worst and Brosnan best.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    We did on the old forum. Connery worst and Brosnan best.

That is a mindf..k if I ever read one. But different strokes for different f..ks.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    George Lazenby : 3
    Timothy Dalton : 31 +1
    Pierce Brosnan : 13
    Daniel Craig : 27 -1
    For me it's a tossup between Connery and Craig as my favorite Bond. They're both so perfect for the character IMO...
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    pachazo wrote:

Also, @saunders, but again, he has retired.
  • pachazo wrote:

He's gone too? Maybe as we get closer to Bond 24, they'll make their grand return. We can only hope so, anyway.
    Saturday

Roger Moore : 22 -
    Pierce Brosnan : 14 +
    Daniel Craig : 27
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    pachazo wrote:

I don't think @saunders formally retired. He's likely just enjoying death and will be back in the future.
  • Friday
    Sean Connery : 42+
    Roger Moore : 21-
    Pierce Brosnan : 14
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 4,622
    pachazo wrote:

And the two @Lazenbys ( can't remember the exact handles) who were very visible for a good long time. Both serious Lazenby boosters.
    I consider Laz to be quite excellent. He's my second favourite to Sean. I really liked his work. I liked that he looked perfectly like Bond, and like Sean he was young and vital and in his Bond prime age. He had a natural athleticism and menacing presence. He oozed Bond. He was a natural fighter. Given a few more films, he could have been real good. And Cub and Saltz were quite good with him too. They offered him a 6 film deal post OHMSS, but as we all know, he got bad advice and it all fell apart. Damn shame.

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Sean Connery : 42
    George Lazenby : 4 +1
    Roger Moore : 21
    ]Timothy Dalton : 31
    Pierce Brosnan : 13 -1

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Friday voting:

George Lazenby : 4
    Roger Moore : 20 (-1)
    Pierce Brosnan : 13
    Daniel Craig : 28 (+1)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    George Lazenby : 3 (-1)
    Roger Moore : 20
    Pierce Brosnan : 14 (+1)
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 7,504
    Roger Moore : 20
    Timothy Dalton : 32 (+1)
    Pierce Brosnan : 13 (-1)
    timmer wrote:
    I consider Laz to be quite excellent. He's my second favourite to Sean. I really liked his work. I liked that he looked perfectly like Bond, and like Sean he was young and vital and in his Bond prime age. He had a natural athleticism and menacing presence. He oozed Bond. He was a natural fighter. Given a few more films, he could have been real good. And Cub and Saltz were quite good with him too. They offered him a 6 film deal post OHMSS, but as we all know, he got bad advice and it all fell apart. Damn shame.

(My point from earlier:) Yes, that's what we are told. Do we know its true?

Roger Moore : 21 (+1)
    Timothy Dalton : 32
    Pierce Brosnan : 12 (-1)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Sean Connery : 41 -1
    Roger Moore : 21
    Timothy Dalton : 33 +1
    Pierce Brosnan : 12