Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    edited May 2014 Posts: 543
    dragonsky wrote:
    Meh I am one of the people that enjoyed Man of Steel
    You're not the only one. I understand MoS is not up to par with those Donner films (which I rank as my top two by the way), but I like that they tried to do something different with the origins and yet it had some familiarity with Superman 1. Yeah, there was too much CGI, but I did enjoy the action, the cast, the fact that there was no difference between Kal-El and Clark, him dealing with being an alien and humans treating him as alien/threat. I liked those elements. I wish they could have done more, but like someone else said, it could set things up for something better in the 2nd film (although with Batman, Wonder Wonder, and who knows who, I'm kinda doubtful MoS 2 can be good). That's what I felt when I saw Batman Begins, I thought it was good, but it build up to something great in TDK. Some people say this movie is the worst Superman ever, I don't think so. It can't be worse than Superman 3, 4 or Supergirl!!

Anyways...

Godzilla vs the Sea Monster
    I kinda enjoyed this film. Very simple story, familiar faces from the previous films, Mothra comes in at the end to save people. Nice to see Godzilla fight a water creature, although he had weird behavior in this film like he needed to be awaken/powered up using electricity, his fascination with a female character, him sitting down and just staring at her. From the movies notes, it seemed like this film was made for King Kong, but the suit was unavailable. At least they could have rewritten those minor things for Godzilla would stay in character.

Grade: C+

Son of Godzilla
    Ok, so when does Godzilla have a son? I thought he was the only one of his species. I guess they were trying to make a family oriented film. The action was good, Godzilla trying to teach his son how to shoot radioactive fire (finally it's named in the film! Always thought that they couldn't do real fire effects at that time and just settle for bluish stuff) was cute. However, Godzilla was basically battling giant bugs, and the main story with people making a weather machine was kinda interesting.

Grade: C

Mothra vs Godzilla
    Invasion of Astro-Monster
    Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster
    Godzilla
    King Kong vs Godzilla
    Godzilla vs the Sea Monster
    The Son of Godzilla
    Godzilla Raids Again
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Trainspotting

trainspotting20133111257705.jpg

I spent my youth in the 90s. Trainspotting was inevitably a part of that. Can't seem to grow tired of it either. Excellent film, exceptionally well cast and well made. Danny Boyle made a fantastic film with this one. But, it's a time capsule. Not everyone will be able to enjoy it, unfortunately.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    'Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones'

Well, I thought the trailer looked terrible, but after my friends said it was incredibly scary, I decided to rent it from Redbox, and...

...yep, it was terrible. Plot was dull and slow, the twist was nothing special, and the film didn't make me jump or stir one time. I wasn't impressed in the slightest, which is a shame, because I thought the best PA films were the third and fourth ones, so I thought this might be the same case, but I suppose I was wrong. Spent the rest of the night scanning Netflix Instant for a good, scary movie, but was sadly disappointed with that, as well.

Though, I did watch 'The Awakening' the other night, starring Rebecca Hall, and that gave me quite a few scares. I thought it was very eerie and well done.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 12,837
    @DarthDimi Danny Boyle is my favourite director (along with Tarantino), and I think Trainspotting is definitely Danny Boyle's best film, with Shallow Grave and 28 Days Later being the runners up. He's made some great films since and I'm sure he'll keep making great films for many years but I don't think he'll ever top Trainspotting. That's his masterpiece imo.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    'Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones'

Well, I thought the trailer looked terrible, but after my friends said it was incredibly scary, I decided to rent it from Redbox, and...

...yep, it was terrible. Plot was dull and slow, the twist was nothing special, and the film didn't make me jump or stir one time. I wasn't impressed in the slightest, which is a shame, because I thought the best PA films were the third and fourth ones, so I thought this might be the same case, but I suppose I was wrong. Spent the rest of the night scanning Netflix Instant for a good, scary movie, but was sadly disappointed with that, as well.

Though, I did watch 'The Awakening' the other night, starring Rebecca Hall, and that gave me quite a few scares. I thought it was very eerie and well done.

@Creasy47, The PA series never inspired me, not even number 3 and 4. I have given them all a try, the first 3 even two tries, and I need something to keep me busy in order to sith through them. Boring as hell, not scary in the least. The only thing I fear when watching PA is the dullness. I will over time give the series a third / second try, and when I do, I will pull down the curtains, turn off the lights, make sure I'm all alone and focus all my attention on the films. If nothing changes, I will then have watched my last PA film.

@DarthDimi Danny Boyle is my favourite director (along with Tarantino), and I think Trainspotting is definitely Danny Boyle's best film, with Shallow Grave and 28 Days Later being the runners up. He's made some great films since and I'm sure he'll keep making great films for many years but I don't think he'll ever top Trainspotting. That's his masterpiece imo.

I'm with you there, @thelivingroyale, only I prefer Boyle's Sunshine. I'm a sucker for good science fiction, and Sunshine, IMO, is great science fiction.
    @DarthDimi, I thought the third and fourth were scary, but that's it. Have you seen 'The Marked Ones'? If not, do yourself a favor and please avoid it.

On the other note, how is 'Sunshine'? That's a film I've heard great things about.
    @Creasy47, haven't seen TMO and per your advise, I shall permit myself the indulgence of skipping it for now. ;-)

Sunshine, IMO, is a fantastic film. Great acting performances, clever Sci-Fi, some scary vibes, beautiful - let me repeat that: BEAUTIFUL imaginary - a great, serene score, ... I absolutely love the film but hey, that's just me. ;-)
    @DarthDimi, good man. ;-)

So I'm guessing the film looks even better on blu-ray? I might see if I can find an HD version online.
    dragonsky wrote:
    dragonsky wrote:

1. Moonrise Kingdom
    2. Rushmore
    3. The Royal Tenenbaums
    4. Grand Budapest Hotel

Next one was The Darjeeling Limited (I saw Hotel Chevalier before it). I saw that many people rated it as their fave Wes movie so my expectations were higher. But sadly the movie did not met my expectations :/ I liked the movie and there were parts of the movie that I liked much more than most of the scenes in the previous Wes movies but there were couple of scenes that did not get my full attention. The Hotel Chevalier short was ok but I can't say I liked anything particular of it besides seeing Natalie Portman's bottom.

Again, I liked The Darjeeling Limited but for now it will be on the bottom of my Wes list. Also seeing my list it seems like Wes is amazing at handling romances and love stories (for my taste that is) I guess.

1. Moonrise Kingdom
    2. Rushmore
    3. The Royal Tenenbaums
    4. Grand Budapest Hotel
    5. The Darjeeling Limited

Papillon Mc Queen / Hoffman 1973

One of the former's greatest performances, even if he doesn't have a lot to do. One of the greatest prison theme titles, It's not so much a 'Midnight Express' type brutality, and while sometimes the viewer can lose interest along the way, McQueen himself makes it work, and gets his way at the end, the viewer is led to believe. Seen this a few times in recent years, but still highly recommended viewing

• QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Alien - Director's Cut 7.5/10

I recently bought the Alien Anthology on Blu-ray. It's been awhile since I've seen the original version so I can't compare the two but the director's cut is good. While I do give the film some praise I find it to be the least re-watchable one of the franchise. Everyone always seems to put this one of the top of their list but I've always kept it at the bottom. Still though, I enjoy it and with the new game Alien Isolation coming out later this year, it got me pumped to re-watch this one because the vibe is suppose to be the same.

Aliens
    Alien 3
    Alien Resurrection
    Prometheus (if we're including it)
    Alien
    ^ That has to be one of the biggest WTF's? ever!!

Agreed. I don't think I've ever seen 'Resurrection' anywhere on someone's ranking but at the bottom. Never thought 'Alien' could be ranked as least watchable, either. In honor of Giger, I think I'll finally crack open my Anthology tonight and go through them all.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    lol not surprisingly I get that a lot. Like I said, I like Alien but I just find it the least re-watchable of the franchise. There's just not any part of the movie that I really look forward to seeing and at times my mind just wonders away from the film. It's just a horror film that I've seen a few times and the scary parts are not scary anymore.
    The other films have more memorable parts, imho, and they tend to have my full attention.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    evilfrank1.jpg

Hammer's third Frankenstein has Baron Frankenstein (once more played by the always watchable Peter Cushing) seeking the aid of a hypnotist called Zoltan to bring the Monster to life. When Zoltan does bring back the Monster, it becomes clear that it isn't Frankenstein whom is in control.

Hammer: Frankenstein
    1. Revenge Of Frankenstein (1958)
    2. Curse Of Frankenstein (1957)
    3. Evil Of Frankenstein (1964)
    lol not surprisingly I get that a lot. Like I said, I like Alien but I just find it the least re-watchable of the franchise. There's just not any part of the movie that I really look forward to seeing and at times my mind just wonders away from the film. It's just a horror film that I've seen a few times and the scary parts are not scary anymore.
    The other films have more memorable parts, imho, and they tend to have my full attention.

I think what makes 'Alien' so scary is the eerieness it still has. I haven't seen it in a little while, but the part where the Alien pops up behind one of the crew members in the pipes and the scene where the Alien is hiding and just crawls out and stands behind Ellen still gives me cold chills.
    Creasy47 wrote:

I think what makes 'Alien' so scary is the eerieness it still has. I haven't seen it in a little while, but the part where the Alien pops up behind one of the crew members in the pipes and the scene where the Alien is hiding and just crawls out and stands behind Ellen still gives me cold chills.

Whereas Alien Resurrection has no memorable scenes whatsoever. The "hybrid" alien always got a good laugh when it was first seen in the cinema. I'm not sure that was the reaction the film makers wanted.
    Alien is a visual masterpiece. I rate it as my third favourite Sci-Fi film .EVER. !!! Resurrection, for me, fell miles below Alien³. And after that, the unspeakable happened. Twice. Good lord... How much a franchise can be diluted? Ask the people involved in a certain project called AvP.
    @WillyGalore, I haven't seen the third in a long, long time and I don't believe I've ever seen 'Resurrection.' I'm a bit worried with this marathon because I borrowed the same Anthology from my boss a few years back, got through the first two films, and then it told me that it couldn't play the third one. I believe I've updated my blu-ray player since then, so let's hope the problem is remedied, and if not, my PS4 should do fine.

Now the question is, should I save 'Prometheus' for last, or should I watch it first, and then the Anthology.
    Alien and Aliens are the only films worth seeing, although Fincher's cut of Alien 3 is far superior to the bullshit version the studio released.
    I'm hoping Fincher's cut is in the Anthology, then, which I believe it is. Does it have the same dark Fincher feel like all of his films do?
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I'm hoping Fincher's cut is in the Anthology, then, which I believe it is. Does it have the same dark Fincher feel like all of his films do?

It's far more story driven and a lot closer to Vincent Ward's original story idea.
    Creasy47 wrote:

It's far more story driven and a lot closer to Vincent Ward's original story idea.

I can't wait to get around to it then, as I really don't remember anything from it. Let's hope my blu-ray player cooperates and plays it this time, or I'll have to give it a nice punch or seven.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

I can't wait to get around to it then, as I really don't remember anything from it. Let's hope my blu-ray player cooperates and plays it this time, or I'll have to give it a nice punch or seven.

Paul McGann actually has a big role in Fincher's cut. His scenes were mostly left on the cutting room floor in the studio version.
    Pirates Of The Caribbean 4

I liked it much better than the other two sequels. I didn't think it was a great film and it's not as good as the first but it was fun.
    "It's too bad she won't live... but then again who does?"

BLADE RUNNER

bladerunner+tears+in+rain.jpeg

This felt really good to return to. Blu-ray again, and on an HDTV to boot. Watched it with my parents as I did with Lawrence of Arabia a couple months back.

My vote for both the best sci-fi film ever, as well as the most visually impressive movie ever made. My god, when the police spinner flies by the building-sized electronic billboards, or any time you get a shot of that colossal Tyrell Corporation headquarters... on Blu-ray this film looks like it was released five years in the future. Absolutely flawless picture quality on this release.

However, I do have an extremely minor gripe. Vangelis' score and all audio effects (the rain always sounds incredible) have been remastered, but the dialogue sounds like a 32 year-old recording. It bothered me early on but I quickly forgot about it and again, it is a very minor gripe.

I really admire the risks this film took. The plot structure is incredibly unorthodox; if you're expecting a typical Hollywood action structure with Blade Runner, this film is not for you. In fact, I can almost understand the negative reviews. It's not full of twists and turns, Deckard doesn't ever encounter the replicants until he faces off with and retires each of them. There are only about five minutes - certainly less than ten - between Batty and Deckard coming face to face, and Batty's death. It's incredibly straightforward to the point where it's "dry", but the strength of the acting and writing are able to carry a plot structure that breaks conventions, but even more importantly, that would probably cause almost any other film to fail.

Harrison Ford is on the top of his game and I'd go so far as to say this is his best performance out of his entire career. The supporting cast behind Ford are all incredible as well, especially Olmos who I think is the best of all the minor cast members. Sean Young's performance is riveting. But, there is one thing that every person who's ever seen Blade Runner agrees on, and that is this...

Rutger Hauer steals this goddamn movie from the second he appears on screen to the second his character draws his last breath. My god. Everyone knows the soliloquy. Tears in rain. Tears. In. Rain. When I think of the greatest moments in cinematic history, when I think of the character speeches, the scenes, hell even individual frames that define this medium, Hauer's legendary speech is right near the top for me.

I really don't know what more to say. If you've seen this movie, chances are you agree with all of this. If you haven't seen it... what the hell are you doing with your life?

10/10 without any question. Easily in my top ten films of all time and a strong contender for my top five.
    @StirredNotShaken, well, I blind bought the collector's edition on blu-ray a while back when it was on sale for dirt cheap. I still haven't seen it, but for the price it was at, I couldn't pass up such a highly praised movie. But, for those who haven't seen it, you'll really want to hide some of your review bits, so hopefully the deaths of certain characters and major plot points aren't spoiled for others, like they just were for me. :(
    @StirredNotShaken, I agree with @Creasy47 in that it might be wise to hide some major plot points using the spoiler function. :-)

That said, I am glad that you like Blade Runner so much. I do too. It's my second favourite film of all time, comfortably behind 2001: A Space Odyssey.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    The Wolverine
    Get your claws out, it's time to tear some s*** up. I really enjoyed the cinematography. I'm always a sucker for seeing shots of beautiful Japan. The story (specifically the ending) was a little lacking but overall I enjoyed this one. It was a unique view into the life of Logan and it was everything that XMOW should have been. There was a nice tie in to to DOFP at the end that has me excited to see if it can live up to the hype.

This film is far from perfect but I was pleasantly surprised going in with moderate expectations. My fellow Bond fans, I'm sure it has been mentioned before but did anyone catch the DAF reference? He didn't know there was pool down there indeed. ;)
    Kill Bill part 1 - Not watched it for years picked it up for a pound in a charity shop. Been considering getting both films on bluray.