The James Bond Debate Thread - 336 Craig looks positively younger in SP than he does in SF.

Comments

• edited April 2014 Posts: 7,653
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 298</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Bond films are rarely career launchers (for the non-Bond cast).</b></font>

Mostly not a Hollywood carreer, that is for sure. And I am not sure if that is not a blessing in disguise?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited May 2014 Posts: 23,449
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 299</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Because of MR, the Bond producers are now a bit cautious to put space back in focus of the Bond films.</b></font>
    Have you not seen Die Another Day?? ;-)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Yes, perhaps, but they'll become less cautious as time goes by. I doubt we'll see Bond himself go into space anytime in the near future, but there's still potential for plausible space-related stories. I'd like to think Mr. Branson would be honoured to have a villain modeled after himself and his organization, the fan that he is.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8486/8257268748_f58f995290_o.png
    Surely "Once Upon a Virgin" would be a better title @QBranch. :D
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited April 2014 Posts: 13,879
    Haha. Well I didn't have my mind in the gutter that day, @RichardGalore ;)
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited April 2014 Posts: 2,629
    GoldenEye and Die Another Day. That didn't stop them.

Actually, "You're Only a Virgin Twice" would have been a better title.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Space is not in the wind these days like it was in the late 70s with the sci-fi craze and the new space shuttle tecnology emerging. If it becomes the talk of the town again, as in commercial spaceflight or a moon base being built, the producers would probably contemplate using the space theme again. There are many routes they could go, no need for another MR.
    Disagree. Why does ever other Brosnan film have a flaming space laser in it?
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Well, I think that's part of the reason. Space wasn't exactly the main focus much before MR so it's something that has always been used sparingly in Bond films.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 299</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Because of MR, the Bond producers are now a bit cautious to put space back in focus of the Bond films.</b></font>

Agree. I just do not see Bond being in orbit again for a long time if ever again?
    Don't think it's necessarily (all) do to with Moonraker, just that it isn't deemed necessary anymore. Let's face it, they only went ahead in '79 to cash in on the damn Star Wars frenzy of the time when it should of been For Your Eyes Only in it's place, and furthermore, who wants to see Bond back in orbit ever again after the nonsense of before ?

don't think caution is the operative word, think unnecessary would be better for this one. Unable to concur with thesis this time around
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Don't think it's necessarily (all) do to with Moonraker, just that it isn't deemed necessary anymore. Let's face it, they only went ahead in '79 to cash in on the damn Star Wars frenzy of the time when it should of been For Your Eyes Only in it's place, and furthermore, who wants to see Bond back in orbit ever again after the nonsense of before ?

don't think caution is the operative word, think unnecessary would be better for this one. Unable to concur with thesis this time around

Very true, @Baltimore_007. Films built around outer space adventure was clearly the zeitgeist of the time and as Moonraker had the most space-related title it was chosen to cash in on the Star Wars craze. As you say, this was a late 1970s phenomenon of jumping on the space film bandwagon and is no longer relevant in 2014 (Gravity aside).
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I agree in general with this thesis.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    I disagree, it's not because of Moonraker, which by the way made good money, it is because space is not perceived anymore as THAT exciting.
    Furthermore, in the wake of "Gravity", anything that does not live up to the physical accuracy of that film will be seen as trashy or cheap.
    If they come up with a great story that fits the new realism as introduced by Craig then they will go there.
    That said I fear it will be difficult in bettering Rogers trip in outerspace where he inflated a spacestation and rogered the CIA so well she wanted to have one more around the world. ;)
  • I´ve always loved MR. It´s actually my favourite film of the franchise, so it makes me kind of sad to read this... I really do hope that this is´nt the case. And I don´t really think so either. They did use space in DAD (A shit-film though) and GE.
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 300</b></font>

78622-wFNOb-original.jpg

<font color=blue size=7><b>Non-Barry Bond scores are usually too abundant in their films.</b></font>
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 300</b></font>

78622-wFNOb-original.jpg

<font color=blue size=7><b>Non-Barry Bond scores are usually too abundant in their films.</b></font>

Apologies DD but i am not sure i understand the thesis?
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Quite so no one to my mind has come close to JB and the class that his scores had.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    I am very happy for the fact that Barry Bonds doesn't write scores for Bond films.
    What I mean is that e.g. TND is overstuffed with music, there's hardly a scene in the film that doesn't have any music in it. This seems to hold true for most of the scores not written by Barry, or at least that's what's up for debate. ;-)
    I just mis John Barry the level of quality has never been matched.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Agree. Barry knew how to use silence as a tool. The others not so much, except Conti.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited May 2014 Posts: 5,080
    One of the genius elements of John Barry is that he knew when not to score the film for effect e.g. Scenes where Bond is cuffed to the bomb inside Fort Knox, when Bond gets in the car to find Tracy dead. I could only imagine that if these scenes where scored by a post-Barry composer, is that they would be accompanied by some melodramatic piece, that doesn't quite have the same effect. And as has been said, nobody has comes close to matching his genius.

I Agree with this thesis.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Congrats on getting to 300 @DarthDimi!

I don't think that the current thesis is necessarily true for the older films. There are plenty of "quiet" moments in DN, LALD and TSWLM. In fact, TSWLM seems to be lacking in it's big battle finale without some musical accompaniment. So I will have to disagree overall but I can see how people would think this of the Arnold scored films.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    What I mean is that e.g. TND is overstuffed with music, there's hardly a scene in the film that doesn't have any music in it. This seems to hold true for most of the scores not written by Barry, or at least that's what's up for debate. ;-)

Aha! Cheers DD! In that case I whole heartedly agree with thesis 300!
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 301</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>For the sake of plausibility, Bond should not have targeted two nuclear subs to destroy each other in TSWLM.</b></font>
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 6,396
    Disagree.

He neither had the time or the choice other than to blow each other up.

Had he re-programmed the missiles to splash into the ocean, the Captains of both submarines may well have reverted back to the original coordinates.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 301</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>For the sake of plausibility, Bond should not have targeted two nuclear subs to destroy each other in TSWLM.</b></font>

Disagree: From the standpoint of a sub would be in terms of the story a far bigger target than trying for a mid air missile collision?