SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

Getafix wrote:
    He obviously didn't hear my inner groan at the reappearance of the DB5. He seems to think he was doing something original. Has he not seen or been informed about its appearances in GE, TND and CR...? Very odd.

Quite obviously this guy lacks even the slightest sense of originality (let alone pace and logic)!
    Shardlake wrote:
    Matt_Helm wrote:
    QBranch wrote:
    I'm not sure if there's really anything new to be found in this article, but have a look:

http://www.007.info/mendes-comments-on-bond-24/

This confirms my worst fears. Again! If lightning or a truck doesn't strike this guy lovers of logical and convincing storylines in general (and Bond movies in particular )seem to be in for the second disaster in a row.

Disaster?

A personal dislike but the disaster is your personal opinion and a rather extreme one at that.

Well, apart from the box office (and the cinematography ) I don't see anything in this movie that constitutes less than a disaster. And believe me - NOBODY feels more sorry about this state of affairs than me!
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 5,745
    I take this as Mendes throwing Quantum returning right out the window. Bond is HIS story now, and Skyfall was Craig's first, to him. There will be no going back. It would be fitting to have a film arc to start Craig tenure, a break (Skyfall) in the middle, and then a film arc to finish off Quantum and finish Craig. It sounds to me that Mendes has now ruined any hope of the organization returning.

Personally, if this turns out to be true after the film is released and we learn all the 'fun facts' of production, I will not be happy, no matter how good B24 is.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    I take this as Mendes throwing Quantum returning right out the window. Bond is HIS story now, and Skyfall was Craig's first, to him. There will be no going back. It would be fitting to have a film arc to start Craig tenure, a break (Skyfall) in the middle, and then a film arc to finish off Quantum and finish Craig. It sounds to me that Mendes has now ruined any hope of the organization returning.

Personally, if this turns out to be true after the film is released and we learn all the 'fun facts' of production, I will not be happy, no matter how good B24 is.

agreed
    You guys really are moaning Quantum? Why does it matter, what organisation is giving him trouble? Its not, that Quantum was something terribly original.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited April 2014 Posts: 28,694
    I'm with @JWESTBROOK and @Risico007. If we never hear of/see Quantum again, I will be severely disappointed beyond belief. It would look so sloppy if that story arc was never finished off properly. We've still got White on the run (who was a great character!), Haines who hasn't been properly introduced, and the organization alone has potential for so many interesting things in terms of plot and stakes.

I also don't find it shocking that those who want Quantum back the most are QoS's biggest supporters like the aforementioned @JWESTBROOK, @Risico007 and myself.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I don't mind if Quantum does not return, if it is a good story. That is simply the most important thing to me. If Quantum returns, that is fine with me, too, as I see the potential there.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I don't mind if Quantum does not return, if it is a good story. That is simply the most important thing to me. If Quantum returns, that is fine with me, too, as I see the potential there.

Finally a sensible voice here.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Sandy wrote:
    I actually like what he said. He talks of a continuation of the themes of Skyfall and not of the story of Skyfall. The themes of SF were old vs new, tradition vs modernity. By the end of it we actually came back to the tradition so we might see this dichotomy coming up again. I'm fine with that.

Some other things that interested me:

"...preparing his new Broadway revival of the musical Cabaret, while also doing some location scouting for Bond 24."

"...started to get ‘really interested again’ when the producers agreed to wait a little longer, and also when they agreed not to have a two-film story arc for the next two movies (which was the original plan), but keep Bond 24 as a single film." Completely agree on this!

And like I said when this first came up, I would looove to see that clip of Dench and Craig singing Cabaret :D

I like it too, for the same reasons. I am glad the same director will work on the same characters, it avoids the schizophrenic approach movies in a franchise often take when they switch hands. I am very intrigued about Bond 24 being a continuation, as SF's plot was self contained and so will be Bond 24.

Until he starts shooting Bond 24, I can't wait to see his take on King Lear. Anybody else than me seeing it?

Completely agree with you. I would love to see King Lear but living outside of the UK I'm not sure if I'll have the opportunity.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    I hear you but he could still continue his "story themes" from SF while having Quantum return. Someone has to be the villain so it's not out of the question until we get an absolute confirmation. Since Mendes seems to be so fond of the 60's films then he would know the SPECTRE arc from that era and might be planning on having Quantum return just like SPECTRE did in TB.
    Germanlady wrote:
    You guys really are moaning Quantum? Why does it matter, what organisation is giving him trouble? Its not, that Quantum was something terribly original.

A recurring adversary is not original, but it is a classic trope of the genre and there is nothing wrong with using it. Especially since it gives resilience to the villain and thus an extra layer of menace.

Furthermore, Quantum has not been properly punished for the events of both CR and QOS: it is still alive and well.
    pachazo wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    I hear you but he could still continue his "story themes" from SF while having Quantum return. Someone has to be the villain so it's not out of the question until we get an absolute confirmation. Since Mendes seems to be so fond of the 60's films then he would know the SPECTRE arc from that era and might be planning on having Quantum return just like SPECTRE did in TB.

I hope you are right.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 6,601
    Ludovico wrote:

A recurring adversary is not original, but it is a classic trope of the genre and there is nothing wrong with using it. Especially since it gives resilience to the villain and thus an extra layer of menace.

Furthermore, Quantum has not been properly punished for the events of both CR and QOS: it is still alive and well.

That is true, but if we follow the timeline, they have given us, too much time has passed IMO to suddenly go "Oh my, we haven't punished that organisation, who did that and that years ago. We really have to finish them off for good now, never mind, what present threats we have."

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I'm with @JWESTBROOK and @Risico007. If we never hear of/see Quantum again, I will be severely disappointed beyond belief. It would look so sloppy if that story arc was never finished off properly. We've still got White on the run (who was a great character!), Haines who hasn't been properly introduced, and the organization alone has potential for so many interesting things in terms of plot and stakes.

I also don't find it shocking that those who want Quantum back the most are QoS's biggest supporters like the aforementioned @JWESTBROOK, @Risico007 and myself.

Agreed with everything mentioned here.

Having Quantum return in 24 after a break with Skyfall would be parallel to SPECTRE in Thunderball. The Craig era would then truly be a reboot!

Not having Quantum return would be, IMO, such a missed opportunity. So much more can be done with this organisation!
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 12,837
    I think Bond 24 is probably the last chance of Quantum returning because, if we follow the current pattern, Bond 25 won't come out until 2018. Ten years since QOS was released. Too much time would've past.

Personally I'm not fussed about Quantum. I wouldn't mind them returning but I wouldn't give a shit if we never saw them again.
    Germanlady wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

That is true, but if we follow the timeline, they have given us, too much time has passed IMO to suddenly go "Oh my, we haven't punished that organisation, who did that and that years ago. We really have to finish them off for good now, never mind, what present threats we have."

How long between Batman Begins and TDKR? They still have the League of Shadows in both. And nowadays, returning villains/threats is pretty much the rule for many franchises: Magneto in X-Men, Oscorp in Spider-Man (not that I like much the new Spider-man series mind you), etc.
    Germanlady wrote:
    What timeline? The only thing close to a timeline was between CR and QOS.
    And why punishment? We´re talking about MI6 and not SMERSH. If Quantum continued to exist, they very well could be the biggest present threat at any given time. Even if they came back in Bond 25 or 26, all that would be needed would be M saying in an urgent tone that Quantum lay low for the past few years, or has re-organised itself, or something like that, and now they´re back with a vengeance. MI6 had to battle more urgent threats in the meantime and therefore couldn´t go after Quantum.
    Ludovico wrote:
    How long between Batman Begins and TDKR? They still have the League of Shadows in both. And nowadays, returning villains/threats is pretty much the rule for many franchises: Magneto in X-Men, Oscorp in Spider-Man (not that I like much the new Spider-man series mind you), etc.
    Interesting comparisons.
    The League of Shadows in TDKR felt a bit lame, because Nolan´s films were always propagated as a closed trilogy. BB closed the LoS story, it wasn´t extant at all in TDK, and then it popped up again out of nowhere in TDKR, even though the Batverse appears to be full of exotic characters and organisations. Dull.
    X-Men is about two groups of mutants, Xavier being the leader of one group, Magneto the leader of the other group. And both groups have to see to their survival because third parties want to destroy both of them. That´s a totally different constellation than any Bond scenario.
    Oscorp in the latest Spiderman film was kind of built up into an organisation responsible for future villainies. Here we have something like a resemblance to organisations from Bond films. And even though the villains in Rise of Electro (stupid title, considering the story) didn´t impress me, the setting up of Oscorp as said pool of possible future viallains was pretty smooth and made quite some sense.

I know it is not the equivalent of the Bond universe for all the franchises mentioned, but it is a trend, one could even say a... recurrence, to have returning menaces from earlier movies. Heck, mutatis mutandis, it is even true of The Hobbit, where suddenly Sauron is far more present than in the novel!
    To all the doom and gloom merchants, Mendes and Logan know what they;re doing! Bond is in safe hands. Chillax!
  • Why would Quantum - a secret conspiracy of rogue agents, mercenaries and corporations that was running rings around the Western intelligence community in the first two Craig movies - just disappear and be thoughtlessly dropped?

I imagine many Quantum members were laying low after their Bolivia operation went downhill, the exposure of Quantum ringleaders at the Tosca opera, and their honey trap operative got arrested. But I'd love to see their return.

And the HYDRA group (think of it as Nazi German founded SPECTRE) came back after their first appearance in Marvel movies, bigger and badder than before in a rather unexpected way in the most recent Marvel film.
    Why would Quantum - a secret conspiracy of rogue agents, mercenaries and corporations that was running rings around the Western intelligence community in the first two Craig movies - just disappear and be thoughtlessly dropped?

I imagine many Quantum members were laying low after their Bolivia operation went downhill, the exposure of Quantum ringleaders at the Tosca opera, and their honey trap operative got arrested. But I'd love to see their return.

And the HYDRA group (think of it as Nazi German founded SPECTRE) came back after their first appearance in Marvel movies, bigger and badder than before in a rather unexpected way in the most recent Marvel film.

That is like I said: the time in cinematic franchises is not for villain of the week, but for recurring threats, resilient nemesis and criminal organizations.
    When did Quantum become the be all and end all of Bond villains? I'm one of the biggest defenders of QoS but if I'm not losing any sleep thinking whether Quantum is going to appear or not in a future film, let alone Bond 24.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It's not that we think Quantum should return because they are the greatest villains the franchise has ever seen, it just looks sloppy if they are never mentioned again. These people were responsible for toying with Vesper and Bond shouldn't forget that, and neither should Mendes and his team. There is so much potential to be had with an organization that is everywhere and nowhere all at once, and that even has connections with the bloody Prime Minister for crying out loud! There's just so many things that could be done for a story. I know I'm not alone in wanting to see this wrapped up, not only because of the storytelling potential but also because leaving Quantum in the dust would be a disservice to the arc of the previous films. I'd love to see Beam and Camille back too, the former because he's a great snake and the latter because I feel she was an invaluable part of Bond's war against them in QoS and a relationship I'd love to see developed more. If only fans got some input into the storylines of the films.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    It's not that we think Quantum should return because they are the greatest villains the franchise has ever seen, it just looks sloppy if they are never mentioned again. These people were responsible for toying with Vesper and Bond shouldn't forget that, and neither should Mendes and his team. There is so much potential to be had with an organization that is everywhere and nowhere all at once, and that even has connections with the bloody Prime Minister for crying out loud! There's just so many things that could be done for a story. I know I'm not alone in wanting to see this wrapped up, not only because of the storytelling potential but also because leaving Quantum in the dust would be a disservice to the arc of the previous films. I'd love to see Beam and Camille back too, the former because he's a great snake and the latter because I feel she was an invaluable part of Bond's war against them in QoS and a relationship I'd love to see developed more. If only fans got some input into the storylines of the films.

I'm behind this 100% as I've tried explaining too. It would be like throwing out a box of perfectly good jelly beans only because you ate a licorice jelly bean first. Quantum has room to grow and become as Iconic as Spectre. There is always room for Improvement.
    Please enlighten me where is it written that Quantum is never going to show up again. Because as far as I know we don't know anything regarding this matter.
    Sandy wrote:
    Please enlighten me where is it written that Quantum is never going to show up again. Because as far as I know we don't know anything regarding this matter.

I'm not saying the won't show up again (if you are referring to me), in fact, I'm one of the most optimistic about them on this forum. I want them back more than anything else, and for this era of Bond films to truly be my favorite I feel their arc must be wrapped up properly. Mendes most likely won't be back for Bond 25, so if we miss out here maybe we'll get one more chance afterwards. A comforting comment by MGW that Quantum was still in his mind and far from gone helps me sleep at night.
    I can't see what was left unfinished from Skyfall personally? But having read the article i sadly fear that their will be no Quantum in Bond 24? :-q
  • Ludovico wrote:
    That is like I said: the time in cinematic franchises is not for villain of the week, but for recurring threats, resilient nemesis and criminal organizations.

And ensemble cast, no more lonesome hero...

And a resilient nemesis for Bond is spelled B.L.O.F.E.L.D.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 5,745
    Sandy wrote:

It isn't written anywhere, but that's the problem. It is written that Mendes threw out the original idea for Bond 24 and Bond 25, which was a connected story. Take that as you will - I take it to mean a double feature finale for Craig, and what better way to end it then to take down the organization that began his tenure?

I'm not saying it's anywhere near fact that Quantum wont return, and if they don't, that its directly Mendes' fault. But I will be able to tell you that as a fact after Bond 24.

I think it is clear that Quantum could only return effectively in Craig's tenure, I think it is clear that his tenure will likely end with Bond 25, and so I think it is clear that if they do not at least allude to Quantum in Bond 24, as in there is absolutely no mention of the organization in the 24th film, then Quantum is definitely D.O.A.

Ludovico wrote:

Until he starts shooting Bond 24, I can't wait to see his take on King Lear. Anybody else than me seeing it?

*raises hand*

Sandy wrote:
    When did Quantum become the be all and end all of Bond villains? I'm one of the biggest defenders of QoS but if I'm not losing any sleep thinking whether Quantum is going to appear or not in a future film, let alone Bond 24.
    I enjoy the panache with which Bond producers build up potential story arcs and then completely ignore them.
    Like OHMSS - DAF.
    Or QOS, where a Quantum member worked as M´s bodyguard. One should think that that alone would be sufficient motivation to uproot that organisation. At least it would be the logical next step for a Secret Intelligence Agency.
    But as I said, I enjoy how they keep throwing such logic out of the window. Keeps things fresh, and I´m not being sarcastic here. Like the logic of Dame Judy being Brosnan´s M and them Craig´s M.
    So it wouldn´t be a bad thing per se to drop Quantum.
    But to keep them for a while would offer a huge variety of possibilities. An organisation constructed as cleverly as Quantum could easily appear in all different shapes and forms, thus they could be used for a long time without getting possibly stale.