Skyfall Considered the Most Overated film of all.

Comments

barryt007 wrote:
    and if he hadnt 'miraculously turned' Pussy Galore after 5 mins in a shed,what would the outcome have been ?

You can pose those "what if" moments against virtually every Bond film though.

Thank you. Bond is all about luck too, so why question that. They're all works of fiction anyway in the first place.
    Hmmm,well we will agree to disagree on this one i think.
    Oh well. Either way I don't think GF or SF is the most overrated Bond film right now.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited April 2014 Posts: 4,444
    skyfalldieanotherday_620_110912.jpg
    Die Another Day vs Skyfall

http://whatculture.com/film/why-skyfall-is-a-better-anniversary-james-bond-film-than-die-another-day.php

Both movies has a very weak story, bad written chacters. What DAD doing with those anniversary Q lab things fit better in Die Another Day then Eve/Moneypenny introduction joke??. That Bond returns after 3 months way to quike in my opnion. With Die Another Day see Bond strugle with M.
    Which film do you personally prefer out of DAD and SF @M_Balje ?
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Daylights is good but it's still kind of...meh sometimes. Skyfall has stronger performances, better cinematography, better supporting characters and better direction...and a better opening song.

Daylights is a firm mid-table entry for me.

Same for me- not a top ten contender but not a bottom-of-the-list contender either; the whole movie screams middle ground, in my opinion. That's not to say it's mediocre, because it isn't, but I couldn't force myself to place it any higher or lower than the plain middle.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 2,483
    The real reason this guy dislikes SF: it's "reactionary" (read not Leftist business as usual). I figured that would be the case before I even clicked the link.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    We already have an "overrated" thread. Just saying.
    I wholeheartedly agree with ...Inception. This is such a pseudo intelligent movie (pseudo in just the same way the number one spot on this list is pseudo dramatic), it bores the pants off of me. Considering "Departed", well the time since Scorsese made his last good movie must be measured in decades not in years, so he is probably quite right on this one too.
    The real reason this guy dislikes SF: it's "reactionary" (read not Leftist business as usual). I figured that would be the case before I even clicked the link.

The article was in the Telegraph, so I doubt the reviewer is too hung up about whether Bond is enough of a bleeding heart liberal.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 381
    "Considered" overrated by whom? Why should the author of this article receive any more attention then the folks who write reviews for amazon.com?
    Most overrated Bond film is Goldeneye anyway, so who cares?
  • Most overrated Bond film is Goldeneye anyway, so who cares?

Have you ever talked with @Getafix about this? I have a feeling you'd get along great.

Back to the topic, I think Skyfall is a bit overrated, since it just came out and Craig is all the rage and it was this big anniversary movie. All the same, it is a great Bond movie, and The Living Daylights is definitely the most overrated on here, even though the general public hasn't caught on to it yet.
    Any film, which is a huge success and/or is lauded by the like of critics will always be considered by some as being overrated.
    Most overrated Bond film is Goldeneye anyway, so who cares?

Have you ever talked with @Getafix about this? I have a feeling you'd get along great.

Back to the topic, I think Skyfall is a bit overrated, since it just came out and Craig is all the rage and it was this big anniversary movie. All the same, it is a great Bond movie, and The Living Daylights is definitely the most overrated on here, even though the general public hasn't caught on to it yet.

It's impossible to overrate TLD - no acclaim is too great for that masterpiece.

I do agree though - if any film is more overrated round here than SF, then it's GE - total garbage from start to finish.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 11,189
    I turned OHMSS off the other day and stuck GE on (just wasn't getting into the film this time round). Thoroughly enjoyed GE too.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 40
    Skyfall or not Skyfall, TLD or not..or Goldeneye.. in my opinion bond movies had to be watch with several various considerations. just saying this particular flick is overrated may be okay - but guys - we talk bond films. clearly we have to look at it from several angles, the time of the release, the opinion years later, in compare with another bond film and fore sure some angles more. i mean the audience age is changing so the films, and with that also the cinematic competition in view on these various angles.
    i repeat: i hope you understand my english even it is bloody poor - amfrom switzerland - but feel free to correct me.
    After all i hope you get my point guys..
    Birdleson wrote:
    It's either SKYFALL or GOLDENEYE. Both are pretty good Bond films, but I'm surprised how high both of them are ranked on many list. I'd have to give the overrated edge to SKYFALL, as it received such critical acclaim. I don't think it will age that well.

GOLDENEYE's appeal seems mainly generational. Most Bond fans enjoy it (me included), but the ones that came into Bond with the Brosnan era hold it with the reverence that many of us older, "original", fans feel for GOLDFINGER. To me it is almost all of the Bond cliches and tropes rolled into one film, as a reaction to the Dalton years.

Both GE and SF are on the fringes of my Top Ten at any given time, but they are definitely the most overrated.

I came of age during the Moore years and have GE rated No. 3, right below SF.

With all due respect Getafix what makes TLD a masterpiece? Is it the under-used villains, the fairly bland direction from Glenn or the appauling Felix or Moneypenny? Daylights is fresh in my head. Its a solid, decent film but certainly not a masterpiece.

I appreciate we all have our favourite films, but it seems we let personal fondness get in the way of objectivity. I'm fond of GE but I'm not going to pretend its a masterpiece either. I don't think any Bond films are masterpieces to be honest and you are deluding yourself if you think they are.
    Some may be NEAR masterpieces but usually there's a flaw to be found somewhere. FRWL is the only film I can genuinely think of as being virtually perfect as it is.

The others are let down to varying degrees by certain performances, characters, writing or direction.
    Again: We do have a separate thread for overrated Bond films, and at least six ( I think) SF threads. SF is not overrated. Silva, maybe, but SF is (along with CR) one of the best Bond films from the last few decades. All in my opinion of course, unless you fail to grasp that. No Bond film is a masterpiece (IMO, OMG), but some are Bond masterpieces. I can count those on a hand and a finger, maybe two.
    I know I'm a fairly young Bond fan (I've seen all the films in the cinema since TND) but SF was the first time I came out of the cinema feeling genuinely excited and buzzed up. At that point I wasn't sure if it was the best Bond film ever, but it was certainly an instant top 5 for me.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 11,425
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I know I'm a fairly young Bond fan (I've seen all the films in the cinema since TND) but SF was the first time I came out of the cinema feeling genuinely excited and buzzed up. At that point I wasn't sure if it was the best Bond film ever, but it was certainly an instant top 5 for me.

You'd probably been drinking too many fizzy drinks.
    No I hadn't. I deliberately avoided having popcorn/fizzy drinks :p

Perhaps it was the excitement of seeing it in Leicester Square, but I know how I felt upon coming out. I enjoyed the film a lot and went back to see it two more times.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    No I hadn't. I deliberately avoided having popcorn/fizzy drinks :p

Perhaps it was the excitement of seeing it in Leicester Square, but I know how I felt upon coming out. I enjoyed the film a lot and went back to see it two more times.

Glad someone's paying attention to the Wittertainment Code of Conduct. ;-)
    Normally I don't mind popcorn but on this occasion I just couldn't.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Normally I don't mind popcorn but on this occasion I just couldn't.

You should have seen the amount of crap me and my friends consumed during Captain America. It was bloody obscene! :-)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    OK, the author prefers Naked Lunch to Videodrome, I almost zoned out after reading that. ;-)
    DarthDimi wrote:
    OK, the author prefers Naked Lunch to Videodrome, I almost zoned out after reading that. ;-)

Quite simply, no Cronenburg film is ever overrated! :-)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Any film, which is a huge success and/or is lauded by the like of critics will always be considered by some as being overrated.

This is all that needs to be said.