Skyfall Considered the Most Overated film of all.

Comments

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    DarthDimi wrote:
    OK, the author prefers Naked Lunch to Videodrome, I almost zoned out after reading that. ;-)

Yeah, I know 8-} though that for me was not the worst offender.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Have you tasted coffee with honey? Quite yummy!
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 6,601
    Getafix wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I know I'm a fairly young Bond fan (I've seen all the films in the cinema since TND) but SF was the first time I came out of the cinema feeling genuinely excited and buzzed up. At that point I wasn't sure if it was the best Bond film ever, but it was certainly an instant top 5 for me.

You'd probably been drinking too many fizzy drinks.

Now this is a typical repsectless statement. What did the guy deserve to get that getafix "I know everything and better anyway" treatment?
    So maybe some nice touch on the shoulder to set him straight AGAIN would come in handily.
    He left some time ago and it was not the worst time ever had on this forum,. What ever made you come back?
    Longing for ole Germanlady? VERY one sided, i can assure you.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Sandy wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    OK, the author prefers Naked Lunch to Videodrome, I almost zoned out after reading that. ;-)

What do you reckon was, @Sandy?

DarthDimi wrote:
    Sandy wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:

Well, besides saying the likes of Inception and Departed are overrated which in my book is offense enough (not even going into Bond here, everyone knows how I feel about SF), he advises people to see We Own the Night (not bad but no where near Marty) instead of Departed and Bamboozled instead of The Network.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 12,265
    I think a lot of people just confuse overrated with getting a lot of deserved praise, which most Bond films earn IMO. I don't see how GE is that overrated; it's collectively seen as the best Brosnan Bond film, and helped save the series when it needed a new, popular turn after the downs of the Moore era and the briefness of the Dalton era. DAD almost killed it again, and then Craig came along. I think the most important Bond films are usually some of the best, which include DN through OHMSS (the golden age), GE, and CR.
    Sandy wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Sandy wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:

Well, besides saying the likes of Inception and Departed are overrated which in my book is offense enough (not even going into Bond here, everyone knows how I feel about SF), he advises people to see We Own the Night (not bad but no where near Marty) instead of Departed and Bamboozled instead of The Network.

For Departed I fully agree, it is a poor US remake of a great Asian movie trilogy. And unless you have not seen the original hard to call great, it is a poor watered down version of the original. If you like that it is a great movie.
    Did it deserve an Oscar, NO it did not. Scorcese was due his Oscar but got it as a making-up oscar for a remake which is an insult for his good movies.

The Departed was a pretty decent film with a great cast. But IMHO I felt like Marty should have gotten an Oscar for Goodfellas. I feel that is his masterpiece.

I always felt that Network was overrated. Crap put me to sleep. Perhaps my nap caused me to miss the best parts. I dunno....

They left one off the list for overrated: No Country for Old Men hated this horseshit of a film.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 12,506
    To be honest I could not care less about the article. I enjoyed the film plain and simple.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 11,189
    RogueAgent wrote:
    To be honest I could not care less about the article. I enjoyed the film plain and simple.

Best response to have. If you enjoy the film that's what matters. There are some Bond films...and non-Bond films...I personally can't understand how some can have as their favourites, but that's my problem.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 11,425
    Germanlady wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I know I'm a fairly young Bond fan (I've seen all the films in the cinema since TND) but SF was the first time I came out of the cinema feeling genuinely excited and buzzed up. At that point I wasn't sure if it was the best Bond film ever, but it was certainly an instant top 5 for me.

You'd probably been drinking too many fizzy drinks.

Now this is a typical repsectless statement. What did the guy deserve to get that getafix "I know everything and better anyway" treatment?
    So maybe some nice touch on the shoulder to set him straight AGAIN would come in handily.
    He left some time ago and it was not the worst time ever had on this forum,. What ever made you come back?
    Longing for ole Germanlady? VERY one sided, i can assure you.

Can't you tell when something is said in jest? Do you REALLY think a comment about drinking too much fizzy pop is offensive?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Of all the Bond films that could be on there I never thought it'd be Skyfall, or that it'd get the number one spot. That's pretty funny.
    At least they brought back M's old office - I was VERY happy about that.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 2,189
    Getafix wrote:
    I agree. I just felt like the whole film was a setup. To me, Skyfall made me more excited to see Bond 24 than be excited for the film I had just watched. I will say as someone who has had to put up with a lot of people saying that Goldfinger is overrated, Skyfall is about a million times more overrated...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Getafix wrote:
    I agree. I just felt like the whole film was a setup. To me, Skyfall made me more excited to see Bond 24 than be excited for the film I had just watched. I will say as someone who has had to put up with a lot of people saying that Goldfinger is overrated, Skyfall is about a million times more overrated...

If only that were actually true. With Skyfall at least I'd understand why someone would view it as the greatest of the great. With Goldfinger I just don't get it at all. It's a fine film, but the best ever? It isn't even the best of the first few Connery films in my eyes.
    Goldfinger and Skyfall are really not that overrated among fans. They earn a decent amount of deserved praise (particularly Skyfall), and they're both fine Bond films. Maybe they can be a bit overrated by some websites, but among this website (the true fans), they really aren't that overrated. Praised by some, yes, but that doesn't mean overrated. There are many good merits to both of the films.
    FoxRox wrote:
    Goldfinger and Skyfall are really not that overrated among fans. They earn a decent amount of deserved praise (particularly Skyfall), and they're both fine Bond films. Maybe they can be a bit overrated by some websites, but among this website (the true fans), they really aren't that overrated. Praised by some, yes, but that doesn't mean overrated. There are many good merits to both of the films.

I think Goldfinger is somewhat overrated here, but you are a newer member so I don't expect you to be fully aware of that just yet.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 4,622
    Captain American requires extra popcorn. It's great cinema fare. Even though I am a Bond fan, and have already watched SF at least 10x, I did enjoy Cap way more when I first viewed it in cinema. Its great, smart, escapist entertainment. Enjoyable as hell. I wanted to see it again, as soon as it was over.
    Not with SF though. It was trying too hard. I had to set it aside for a week or so.
    With Cap, I was right back the next day.
    Mind you being a Bondphile, I will be watching SF regularly for the rest of my life, as I do all Bond films. Cap might get a couple more viewings when it comes out on blu and that's it.
    SF is most overrated Bond IMHO of course. But I feel the same way about CR too. But SF is more overrated. CR I think is a better Bond film.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 1,052
    I do feel that GF and SF are both overrated, but I think it's got more to do with circumstances.

GF came out at the height of Bondmania and the formula was put in place with this film and a few iconic scenes means it has always shown up and the no1 film in those clip shows.

SF came out in a very big year for Britain, with the Olympics etc and the 50th anniversary of the Bond films and the critics going nuts for it because of Mendes etc.

They are both decent entries but probably the overhype actually diminishes the appeal after a while.

But we all probably overhype to a certain extent, I go nuts for OP and LTK and there will be plenty of people happy to tell me they are s**t.
    SaintMark wrote:
    Sandy wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Sandy wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:

For Departed I fully agree, it is a poor US remake of a great Asian movie trilogy. And unless you have not seen the original hard to call great, it is a poor watered down version of the original. If you like that it is a great movie.
    Did it deserve an Oscar, NO it did not. Scorcese was due his Oscar but got it as a making-up oscar for a remake which is an insult for his good movies.

I have seen the original Infernal Affairs (more than once actually) and while I think it had a great idea the execution was, in my opinion, a bit poor (not calling it a bad film, mind you). I don't think at all Departed is a watered down version of the original as you call it. I think instead it takes the great idea of the original and improves on it.
    Well I don't care what they say. Skyfall was good.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 2,107
    Everything about Skyfall is overrated. It's a fine movie and not a least bit a bad movie. But for now it feels to have taken the most overrated sport in the franchise. I too am more excited about Bond 24, than I ever was with Skyfall.
    GF is underrated round here, if anything.
    GF is certainly in my top 5 but it is somewhat dated shall I say (compared to some of the later entries though its nothing). Connery and Blackman are both great, the first half hour is classic Bond, but to be honest Goldfinger has never really wowed me as a main villain. I actually prefer the silent but deadly Oddjob.

I think it's the caricature gangsters that stick out for me. That whole "EXCEPT CRIME" speech feels pretty cheesy by today's standards.

Also lets not forget the wonderful performance by Tilly Masterson:

"Let me go, you're breaking my back" :))

I prefer Skyfall by a small margin.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    GF is certainly in my top 5 but it is somewhat dated shall I say (compared to some of the later entries though its nothing). Connery and Blackman are both great, the first half hour is classic Bond, but to be honest Goldfinger has never really wowed me as a main villain. I actually prefer the silent but deadly Oddjob.

I think it's the caricature gangsters that stick out for me. That whole "EXCEPT CRIME" speech feels pretty cheesy by today's standards.

Also lets not forget the wonderful performance by Tilly Masterson:

"Let me go, you're breaking my back" :))

I prefer Skyfall by a small margin.

Respect for having GF in your top 5. I think part of the point about the villains is that Oddjob and Goldfinger compliment each other. I actually love Gert Frobe's performance (even if he was dubbed) and Harold Sakata is brilliantly used. And it's all underpinned by some of the best Ken Adam sets and amazing Barryness. Connery is simply pitch perfect throughout and as you say @BAIN, the pairing with Blackman is inspired. I actually feel sorry for those who think it's overrated.

Oh, and the REAL DB5...

Frankly, the list of amazing elements is endless. And the film is still greater than the sum of its parts.
    I understand why some think its over-appreciated, but there is certainly a lot of charm to the film and far too many classic elements for it to be considered 'bad'.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I understand why some think its over-appreciated but there is certainly a lot of charm to the film and far too many classic elements for it to be considered 'bad'.

Spot on - 'charm' is the right word.

GF and SF are both Top 5 Bond films for me and I could go on all day about why they're so great.
    FoxRox wrote:
    I don't see it high up anymore. Besides, the criticisms it draws are not entirely fair; it's still a great Bond film IMO. Everyone ignores the faults of FRWL and usually crown it the best Bond film.

Because it IS the best Bond film, in spite of its flaws.
    I actually can't think of any real flaws in FRWL.