Is Pierce Brosnan really all that bad ??

Comments

To me Sean Connery is the benchmark and every other actor brings a different twist to the character, I give credit to Pierce to bring Bond back to a new generation and I really like GE, TND, and TWINE. Pierce was the Bond of his times and did a great job. Pierce was a little too old for DAD and I think that is where the bashing comes in. If he was allowed out of his contract with Remington Steele, I really would have like to see him do Bond at a younger age, we would not have any bashers then and had 5 solid films to his credit. I will say if anyone can pull off an aging Bond, I believe Daniel Craig has the potential to do so.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    SHF1 wrote:
    I will say if anyone can pull off an aging Bond, I believe Daniel Craig has the potential to do so.
    Dalton could have, but by his own strict interpretation of Fleming, he took himself out of the game before the sell-by date. Too bad IMO.
    chrisisall wrote:
    TND was better than any of Moore's, Lazenby's, Craig's, and er... a couple of Connery's.
    Scotty, shields UP!

:(
    FoxRox wrote:

Not quite the incoming fire I had expected....
    chrisisall wrote:
    FoxRox wrote:

Not quite the incoming fire I had expected....

That's because I already knew you loved it haha. Just sad face because you're the only guy I know that'd say that. What's your top 5 Bond films?
    edited March 2014 Posts: 17,691
    FoxRox wrote:
    . What's your top 5 Bond films?

TLD
    LTK
    TND
    GE
    TB
    chrisisall wrote:
    FoxRox wrote:
    . What's your top 5 Bond films?

TLD
    LTK
    TND
    GE
    TB

...o.o
    lol !
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    SHF1 wrote:
    Pierce was a little too old for DAD and I think that is where the bashing comes in. If he was allowed out of his contract with Remington Steele, I really would have like to see him do Bond at a younger age, we would not have any bashers then and had 5 solid films to his credit.

First, welcome to the forum. :)

Second, that is just :)) .Brosnan would have been even worse at a younger age. One of the reasons there weren t many Brosnan bashers until CR on the internet is this: People like myself did not bother signing in on a Bond fan forum during his tenure. Bond was a had-been for many people. Much like Asterix and Lucky Luke after the death of Rene Goscinny. There was a time I believed that I would never see a decent Bond ever again. I was ready to swear off the Bond franchise after DAD. Up until then, I gave every film the benefit of doubt, and really hoped PB himself could grow into the role a bit more as he aged. Disappointment upon disappointment that was. Bless the reboot!
  • RC7RC7
    edited March 2014 Posts: 10,512
    People like myself did not bother signing in on a Bond fan forum during his tenure. Bond was a had-been for many people.

Around DAD's production a lot of Bond forums were teeming with visitors. Much busier than they have been since CR. I'm not suggesting this is representative of the respective actors popularity/performance, but because you decided not to grace the internet with your presence during this period, doesn't mean there weren't a lot of people online discussing Bond. Bond has never been a has-been to me and I'm sure that's the case for many others.
    I am sure you are right. Of course there would be a lot of fans for any entry. I am just suggesting that the antipathy towards Brosnan and his films did not start with the reboot, but that it may have been hidden from forums like this back then. Before Brosnan there was no internet around, so it is only natural that these places would attract his fans first and foremost when these forums were created.
  • RC7RC7
    Oh, there were many Brosnan haters, even back then! But yes, you're probably right that it has escalated since many of his detractors have emerged online post-2006.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 11,425
    SHF1 wrote:
    Pierce was a little too old for DAD and I think that is where the bashing comes in. If he was allowed out of his contract with Remington Steele, I really would have like to see him do Bond at a younger age, we would not have any bashers then and had 5 solid films to his credit.

First, welcome to the forum. :)

Second, that is just :)) .Brosnan would have been even worse at a younger age. One of the reasons there weren t many Brosnan bashers until CR on the internet is this: People like myself did not bother signing in on a Bond fan forum during his tenure. Bond was a had-been for many people. Much like Asterix and Lucky Luke after the death of Rene Goscinny. There was a time I believed that I would never see a decent Bond ever again. I was ready to swear off the Bond franchise after DAD. Up until then, I gave every film the benefit of doubt, and really hoped PB himself could grow into the role a bit more as he aged. Disappointment upon disappointment that was. Bless the reboot!

Ditto. Although I dutifllly dragged myself along to see the films, it felt to me like the series had committed creative suicide during the Brosnan era. But I was one of those rare Dalton fans. Not sure what has happened since then. Either there were a lot of Dalton fans around keeping quiet, or he has undergone a serious rehabilitation.
    I think in the big wide world Brosnan is still the more popular Bond, I rarely hear Dalton discussed. Usually when it comes to Bond those mentioned are Sean, Rog, Pierce and Dan.
    Oh there is no doubt that Lazenby and Dalton are the less popular Bond's compared to the other four.
    Personally i agree with them ,Lazenby and Dalton are #6 and #5 on my fave 007's.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Yes, there are some who really put Brosnan down a LOT. I don't get that, and it really gets old reading it. I happen to like something, sometimes a lot of things, about all of the Bond actors, except Lazenby.

I like Brosnan's Bond very much. So I think when we switch next week on the Originals thread, @Thunderfinger, you have plenty of sharpened knives out. But I'm not losing sleep over the Brosnan bashers; it's a waste of time. Dissenting opinions that are civil are a different thing entirely and are welcome. Bashing anybody is not cool.

For me, Brosnan's Bond in GE was very good indeed, but he improved and gave us a fully rounded, excellent Bond in TND, in my opinion his best Bond performance. TWINE was a flawed film and even Brosnan was not his best - but having said that (it was an uneven performance in an uneven film), I still do not think he was bad. Nope. DAD was a mess, but I don't fault Brosnan's performance in it - actually, I thought his Bond was good, better in DAD than in TWINE.

I honestly do not see the negative things that people write about concerning Pierce Brosnan's Bond. I don't see it when I view the films, I don't get those feelings or vibes. Nope. To me, Brosnan was a very good James Bond. I read some comments and realize that I have truly seem to have viewed a different film from those who are so cuttingly negative. So, I will agree to disagree with them 100%.
    4Ever.

:D
    Haha, my knives do not need sharpening, dear @4EverBonded. They are sharp enough already, but I promise I will keep it relatively civil. ;)
    At least on that thread, I hope. Thanks, dear thunderfinger. :)
    Brosnan wont get a bashing from me,i find his films enjoyble if you dont over-analyze them.

Yes,including DAD !
  • RC7RC7
    I honestly do not see the negative things that people write about concerning Pierce Brosnan's Bond. I don't see it when I view the films, I don't get those feelings or vibes. Nope. To me, Brosnan was a very good James Bond. I read some comments and realize that I have truly seem to have viewed a different film from those who are so cuttingly negative.

Me neither, @4EverBonded - I, like you, don't care much for Laz. But I don't cruise threads looking to bash the guy. It smacks of pretentiousness IMO. 'I'm too good for the Brosnan era. It's beneath me and I want you to know that'.
    Yes, there are some who really put Brosnan down a LOT. I don't get that, and it really gets old reading it. I happen to like something, sometimes a lot of things, about all of the Bond actors, except Lazenby.

I like Brosnan's Bond very much. So I think when we switch next week on the Originals thread, @Thunderfinger, you have plenty of sharpened knives out. But I'm not losing sleep over the Brosnan bashers; it's a waste of time. Dissenting opinions that are civil are a different thing entirely and are welcome. Bashing anybody is not cool.

For me, Brosnan's Bond in GE was very good indeed, but he improved and gave us a fully rounded, excellent Bond in TND, in my opinion his best Bond performance. TWINE was a flawed film and even Brosnan was not his best - but having said that (it was an uneven performance in an uneven film), I still do not think he was bad. Nope. DAD was a mess, but I don't fault Brosnan's performance in it - actually, I thought his Bond was good, better in DAD than in TWINE.

I honestly do not see the negative things that people write about concerning Pierce Brosnan's Bond. I don't see it when I view the films, I don't get those feelings or vibes. Nope. To me, Brosnan was a very good James Bond. I read some comments and realize that I have truly seem to have viewed a different film from those who are so cuttingly negative. So, I will agree to disagree with them 100%.
    4Ever.

:D

This is an open forum, and it would be boring if everyone agreed. I for one think the Brosnan bashing is extremely healthy and shows people's critical faculties are properly engaged. I don't understand the need to try and close down debate or constantly label those with strongly held views as trouble makers. I find the idea that anyone likes Brosnan faintly absurd, but I welcome the fact that we have people like that on the forum - it livens things up. You won't hear my saying certain views should not be aired, or that some Brosnan fans defend him too much.

Of course bashing the actors is cool - it's half the fun!

I could say I find it sad and 'old' to hear people still unable to appreciate Lazenby. How can anyone watch the work of genius that is OHMSS and not respect Laz's not inconsiderable achievements in that movie? The film and Laz's performance is far, far superior to any of Brosnan's entries.

Personally for me I still enjoy him. HOWEVER I understand some of the criticisms he gets. He DOES at times look a bit lightweight in his films (better than Connery or Moore did at their weakest though), there IS a superficialness to a lot of his era (watch his hair in TND), and he WAS let down by poor casting/lazy script-writing.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 11,189
    I think OHMSS is indeed better than most, if not all, of Brosnan's films but Broz is the more charismatic figure. He just is. Laz did indeed do a commendable job in parts of OHMSS but quite a bit of his line readings in that film are just plain poor. Listen to that flat voice. I say that as someone who watched OHMSS again over Christmas. Broz didn't get it all right but he's not as wooden as Laz could be.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I think OHMSS is indeed better than most, if not all, of Brosnan's films but Broz is the more charismatic figure. He just is. Laz did indeed do a commendable job in parts of OHMSS but quite a bit of his line readings in that film are just plain poor. I say that as someone who watched OHMSS again over Christmas. Broz didn't get it all right but he's not as wooden as Laz could be.

Well, I must say, I'm very surprised to hear you say that! ;)
    Getafix wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I think OHMSS is indeed better than most, if not all, of Brosnan's films but Broz is the more charismatic figure. He just is. Laz did indeed do a commendable job in parts of OHMSS but quite a bit of his line readings in that film are just plain poor. I say that as someone who watched OHMSS again over Christmas. Broz didn't get it all right but he's not as wooden as Laz could be.

I'm not dumping on Laz completely, there are times when I think he's very effective. Namely in the second half. However I just find Broz more enjoyable to watch, same goes for Rog.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Personally for me I still enjoy him. HOWEVER I understand some of the criticisms he gets. He DOES at times look a bit lightweight in his films (better than Connery or Moore did at their weakest though), there IS a superficialness to a lot of his era (watch his hair in TND), and he WAS let down by poor casting/lazy script-writing.

I would say that Craig has been let down by some pretty lousy script-writing at times. Heck, he barely had a script for QoS. But his performances are still much better than Brosnan's. So, what are we supposed to conclude from that? I would say, the only conclusion is that Brosnan was not very good. A good actor will be able to deliver consistently good performances, even if the material is a bit dodgy. Brosnan's portrayal of Bond was all over the place.

I agree with 4EverBonded on one thing. TND is definitely his 'best' performance. He plays it fairly straightforwardly and is helped by the fact the film nips along at a decent pace.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

I'm not dumping on Laz completely, there are times when I think he's very effective. Namely in the second half. However I just find Broz more enjoyable to watch, same goes for Rog.

I'm only kidding around.

Like all those loyal Brosnan fans who always stick up for their man, I have a grudging respect. If only the Broz had shown as much grit and character as Bond!
    edited March 2014 Posts: 12,459
    Bantering and speaking your piece about what you feel is wrong in a film or about an actor's performance is one thing - bashing is ugly, meanspirited and becomes a knee jerk reaction. And it is not a good thing; it's not cool, and if you think it's fun I think you have a sad sense of fun. A good argument is not bashing.

Oh, nice to have it confirmed you are just kidding around.
    Bantering and speaking your piece about what you feel is wrong in a film or about an actor's performance is one thing - bashing is ugly, meanspirited and becomes a knee jerk reaction. And it is not a good thing; it's not cool, and if you think it's fun I think you have a sad sense of fun. A good argument is not bashing.

Oh, nice to have it confirmed you are just kidding around.

I think it boils down to a different sense of what 'bashing' is exactly. I don't really believe in pulling punches when it comes to people's views. I feel strongly that Brosnan was not just mediocre, but truly, absolutely, awful. I don't see why I should hold back in expressing that view, just to avoid offending someone. To me, his tenure was a very bleak period in the history of Bond. Equally, I fully expect those who feel strongly about issues I disagree with to have free rein to say what they want. I am not a fan of the personal sniping and bullying that sometimes takes place on here, but as long as people express themselves in a basically civilised way, then I don't object to what any one has to say.

Frankly, I find it odd the extent to which some members seem obsessed with damping down the debate and have these very proscriptive views on what is and what is not an acceptable line of argument.
    It is all a matter of personal taste. We have different expectations and preferences, and that should be totally acceptable to everyone. Indeed it is acceptable for most here that we disagree about actors and films. Very few here are inclined to shoot the messenger thankfully. I am not a fan of repeating myself too often, but sometimes you just gotta speak the truth as you see it. And the truth for me is that yes, Pierce Brosnan(as Bond,mind you) and his films really ARE that bad. The low point of the series.

As for "bashing"-this word is of Norse origin and means to strike violently.
    The word "debate" is of French origin, and means exactly the same thing.