Is Pierce Brosnan really all that bad ??

Comments

AstonLotus wrote:
    Will never understand the common belief that GE was the highlight of Brosnans run as 007.TND and TWINE are easily better films.DAD is not as good but still a fun Bond film.

Even Brosnan said that TND was not as good as GE. TWINE was very uneven and DAD is considered by many (including myself) to be the nadir of the series. In any case, GE had far more positive impact on the franchise than any of the other films.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited March 2014 Posts: 12,459
    In my opinion, TND is definitely better than GE and for sure Pierce steps up his game and gives us a full rounded, great Bond in TND. His Bond is better in TND; perhaps he feels the overall film GE is better than TND. I love both films.

And Bain, you said this:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    My mum thinks Daniel Craig is a Jeremy Kyle lookalike and doesn't really see what all the fuss is about regarding him. Personally, I've grown to like him more as Bond. I can see why Brosnan is the more successful actor outside of Bond though. He's excessable and has a fatherly quality about him.

Well, he is really successful post Bond, but "fatherly" ... ?! I never got that (except in the film Evelyn). I mean, I still want to be his little Danish. ;) And I look forward to those same kind of vibes when I see November Man later this year.

Just posting this pic again because I want it on this page ... :D

pierce-brosnan-after-the-sunset-movie-premiere-arrivals-1HRaw3.jpg
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    At least once a year I intentionally suffer through DAD for the excellent performance Pierce delivered. He was a GREAT Bond. I pity those that dismiss any Bond movie based solely on whether they *like* the actor or not... :-<
    No. /thread
    1. GoldenEye
    2. The World is Not Enough
    3/4: Tomorrow Never Dies and Die Another Day (can't pick at the moment)

For me, 1 is great, 2 is good, and 3 and 4 are meh. Some days I prefer TND some days DAD I guess, but GE is the only one I regularly rewatch.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 11,189
    AstonLotus wrote:
    Will never understand the common belief that GE was the highlight of Brosnans run as 007.TND and TWINE are easily better films.DAD is not as good but still a fun Bond film.

For me GE is easily the most fun and impressive of his films. The tank chase (I think) is more spectacular than any of the action stuff in Brosnan's other films.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    For me GE is easily the most fun and impressive of his films. The tank chase (I think) is more impressive than any of the action stuff in Brosnan's other films.

It was easily the best film, as it had a fine & creative director up to the heroic task, and a script that still smacked of latent Dalton influence.
    chrisisall wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    For me GE is easily the most fun and impressive of his films. The tank chase (I think) is more impressive than any of the action stuff in Brosnan's other films.

It was easily the best film, as it had a fine & creative director up to the heroic task, and a script that still smacked of latent Dalton influence.

It was also the only film that featured a Bond girl who was, in effect, a normal person rather than an action hero and/or eye-candy.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Oh, Natalya is one of the best Bond girls! Gorgeous, sure, but no bimbo and realistically played with spark by Scorupco. I just prefer TND slightly as a film, but GE has the best Bond girl of Pierce's era, yes.
    I think Natalya is one of the more underrated Bond girls. As you say "realistically played".
    BAIN123 wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

It was also the only film that featured a Bond girl who was, in effect, a normal person rather than an action hero and/or eye-candy.

One other thing GE got right. TWINE with Christmas Jones could have gone the same route, if not for the abysmally stupid casting.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I think Natalya is one of the more underrated Bond girls. As you say "realistically played".
    Which is also a big reason why I love Wai Lin- the amazing contrast.
    Ludovico wrote:
    AstonLotus wrote:

Even Brosnan said that TND was not as good as GE. TWINE was very uneven and DAD is considered by many (including myself) to be the nadir of the series. In any case, GE had far more positive impact on the franchise than any of the other films.

So? Brosnan is entitled to his opinion but plenty of actors dont like the great films they are in.Harrison Ford doesnt like Blade Runner for example.I think sometimes actors are biased against some films they work based on their experience making it.

TND has better music than GE.

TND has more and better action than GE.

TND has a better and more witty script than GE.

TND has a more confidant and better performance from Brosnan as 007 than GE.

This is all just my opinion of course.

When does more mean better? TND had too much action and not enough investigation/spying, something GE had plenty of. TND also had a weaker villain (and I like Carver, he was funny, but not the most menacing), relying far more on gadgetry, the script was at times very messy and borderline bipolar (Bond grieves a quasi-loved one, then ta-da, he's joking minutes later playing with a remote car) and lacked the inventivity of the GE script. TND, basically, is YOLT/TSWLM/MR's plots all over again, on a slightly smaller scale. That does not make it bad, mind you, just not as good. And GE does recycle things, yes, but not nearly as much or as blatantly.

Now, when it comes for impact, while TND was a success, GE borderline saved Bond. it certainly made him relevant again.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 99
    In my opinion, TND is definitely better than GE and for sure Pierce steps up his game and gives us a full rounded, great Bond in TND. His Bond is better in TND; perhaps he feels the overall film GE is better than TND. I love both films.

And Bain, you said this:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    My mum thinks Daniel Craig is a Jeremy Kyle lookalike and doesn't really see what all the fuss is about regarding him. Personally, I've grown to like him more as Bond. I can see why Brosnan is the more successful actor outside of Bond though. He's excessable and has a fatherly quality about him.

Well, he is really successful post Bond, but "fatherly" ... ?! I never got that (except in the film Evelyn). I mean, I still want to be his little Danish. ;) And I look forward to those same kind of vibes when I see November Man later this year.

Thanks for reposting my pic! See, he still looked good and was capable of staying for 2 or so more movies. Craig already looks as old as Brosnan does in Skyfall.

Brosnan gets too much hate for reasons that were out of his control: the scripts sucked, DAD, too cartoony, too OTT, too many weapons and gadgets, and incapable of acting. It's not like Brosnan called the shots; he may have voiced his opinions when he was permitted, but for the most part, Brosnan followed the contractual obligations.

The general public loved this guy. His movies were hits, his video games were very successful, his looks were popular, etc. I recall back in the early 2000s, this guy's face was everywhere. Craig doesn't even have the same popularity as Brosnan did during his tenure, despite higher box office returns.

People also claim that Brosnan was too feminine for the role. He was one of the best looking guys in the world at the time, why wouldn't the makeup artists/stylists take advantage of that! Also, Brosnan did look scrawny at times, but he was never unbelievable in his fight scenes, as he got beat up a lot.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Hmmm... I have a little itch. And it is not down there.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 11,189
    I definitely think that, outside of Bond, Brosnan has had more luck with the general public than Craig. I know it didn't require big acting chops but Mama Mia was a huge hit and is still a very popular film (it seems to be repeated on ITV1/2 regularly). He's often used to sell other films too. I remember seeing his face on posters around the tube when Love is All You Need was released, the only time I've really seen that with Craig is in Cowboys and Aliens.

However, while Brosnan was certainly popular during his Bond run (and still is) I'd say Craig has overtaken him...rightly so to be honest.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited April 2014 Posts: 13,350
    I think until Craig starts his post-Bond career, it will be difficult to honestly compare and judge.
    Yeah that's true.
    And I'm not sure Brosnan can be credited for the success of Mamma Mia. ABBA should. Not that I like ABBA mind you. But Brosnan singing in the movie was ridiculed.
    Ludovico wrote:
    And I'm not sure Brosnan can be credited for the success of Mamma Mia. ABBA should. Not that I like ABBA mind you. But Brosnan singing in the movie was ridiculed.

I don't know what you mean.... :-\"

Ludovico wrote:

I must be the only straight young male that likes ABBA. I think people liked Brosnan's signing in a kind of "aww bless him for trying" kind of way. Like a dad attempting Karaoke.
    Maybe. I liked his singing of Bank of the roses, which you can find on YouTube, but not because he sings very well.
  • Brosnan was just one of the ingredients to Mama Mia's success. The movie was largely successful due to ABBA and the ensemble cast.

Although, to be honest, none of the Bonds have been successful after their tenure with the exception of Connery. I would say Brosnan comes second, but he's mostly in smaller independent films. Hopefully this changes after November Man and Expendables 4 (rumored, as of now).
    Oh he did very well after and in parallel to Bond. But he did not have two more Bonds after DAD. He had started showing his age even then.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    And I look forward to those same kind of vibes when I see November Man later this year.

That pic was taken in 2004, only two years after DAD. So I would say he not only could've but should've done at least two or three more Bond films; and no I'm not saying he should've been in CR or at least the version that was made, that's Craig's film.

Here's a more recent pic of Brosnan.
    pierce-brosnan-to-portray-french-king-1368136811-1803.jpg
    If he dyed his hair, maybe a touch of makeup, he would look ten years younger!

Brosnan gets too much hate for reasons that were out of his control: the scripts sucked, DAD, too cartoony, too OTT, too many weapons and gadgets, and incapable of acting. It's not like Brosnan called the shots; he may have voiced his opinions when he was permitted, but for the most part, Brosnan followed the contractual obligations.

The general public loved this guy. His movies were hits, his video games were very successful, his looks were popular, etc. I recall back in the early 2000s, this guy's face was everywhere. Craig doesn't even have the same popularity as Brosnan did during his tenure, despite higher box office returns.

People also claim that Brosnan was too feminine for the role. He was one of the best looking guys in the world at the time, why wouldn't the makeup artists/stylists take advantage of that! Also, Brosnan did look scrawny at times, but he was never unbelievable in his fight scenes, as he got beat up a lot.

I completely agree with you, especially the part that I bolded. While I do like Craig as Bond, Brosnan IMHO was a far superior Bond in comparison.
    I'm very much looking forward to seeing him in November Man. Maybe he'll finally get to do in that film what he always wanted to do with Bond.

It often seems as if one's favorite Bond is their first Bond. You often hear, "When I was a kid......" As an original Bond fan, Connery was my Bond, but now I'm over it. I also like Lazenby, Dalton, and Craig. Those three along with Connery bring a toughness to Bond that Moore and Brosnan did not or could not project. I would not use the term feminine to characterize either, but both--Moore more so--play a more dandified Bond. Both are too much the polished, unruffled gentleman who never quite convinces us that beneath that cool exterior is a savage.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 28
    And I look forward to those same kind of vibes when I see November Man later this year.

That pic was taken in 2004, only two years after DAD. So I would say he not only could've but should've done at least two or three more Bond films; and no I'm not saying he should've been in CR or at least the version that was made, that's Craig's film.

Here's a more recent pic of Brosnan.
    pierce-brosnan-to-portray-french-king-1368136811-1803.jpg
    If he dyed his hair, maybe a touch of makeup, he would look ten years younger!

I completely agree with you, especially the part that I bolded. While I do like Craig as Bond, Brosnan IMHO was a far superior Bond in comparison.
    I'm very much looking forward to seeing him in November Man. Maybe he'll finally get to do in that film what he always wanted to do with Bond.

Wow Brosnan is looking good in that second pic.........he sounds great singing, reminds me of older David Bowie with a touch of asthmatic horse. =D>
    CrabKey wrote:
    It often seems as if one's favorite Bond is their first Bond. You often hear, "When I was a kid......" As an original Bond fan, Connery was my Bond, but now I'm over it. I also like Lazenby, Dalton, and Craig. Those three along with Connery bring a toughness to Bond that Moore and Brosnan did not or could not project. I would not use the term feminine to characterize either, but both--Moore more so--play a more dandified Bond. Both are too much the polished, unruffled gentleman who never quite convinces us that beneath that cool exterior is a savage.

I wouldn't say Bond was a savage, if by that you are referring to Fleming's Bond, he was a suave, sophisicated man who killed when he had to and would do anything to survive and complete the mission.
    Ludovico wrote:
    When does more mean better? TND had too much action and not enough investigation/spying, something GE had plenty of. TND also had a weaker villain (and I like Carver, he was funny, but not the most menacing), relying far more on gadgetry, the script was at times very messy and borderline bipolar (Bond grieves a quasi-loved one, then ta-da, he's joking minutes later playing with a remote car) and lacked the inventivity of the GE script. TND, basically, is YOLT/TSWLM/MR's plots all over again, on a slightly smaller scale. That does not make it bad, mind you, just not as good. And GE does recycle things, yes, but not nearly as much or as blatantly.

Now, when it comes for impact, while TND was a success, GE borderline saved Bond. it certainly made him relevant again.

GE has its share of silly moments and inane one liners.

007 skydiving after the plane ( thanks to terrible rear projection ) looked absolutley ridiculous.

'' I had to ventilate someone '' - Really Xenia? was that supposed to be funny?

'' YES! I AM INVINCIBLE! '' - Really Boris? was that supposed to be funny? Especially when you are frozen into a popsicle cartoon style at the end?

'' Hey Bond, do you do gardening? '' WHAT?

Trevelyan survives a high fall at the end that would kill any man stone dead.

Trevelyan locks Bond and Natalya in a helicopter rigged to be destroyed by its own missiles without actually thinking Bond might, just might use the ejector seat button thats RIGHT NEXT TO HIM.

Bond massacres innocent russian soldiers in the Kremlin who were not in on Ouromovs treachery.This should have caused a major international incident.

Bond trashes half of Moscow but we are not given any indication that the russian government had any problem with it.

Bond looks like a rookie idiot when he is easily taken prisoner inside Zukovskys bar.

Eric Serras score is the worst of the entire series.Thank god David Arnold was hired for TND.

TND is the better film.By far.