The Man from U.N.C.L.E.: original series & films

Comments

• Ok so offical date is now January 16 2015, but i was really close LOL!

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/man-from-uncle-guy-ritchie-release-date-1201114113/
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Hopefully not this year's Jack Ryan.

I'm looking forward to it.
  • Ok so offical date is now January 16 2015, but i was really close LOL!

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/man-from-uncle-guy-ritchie-release-date-1201114113/

Studio hasnt written it off with that release date...the dead zone for film releases is January...
    Regarding the dead zone.............. not anymore.

From DEADLINE:

Guy Ritchie’s Man From U.N.C.L.E will be released January 16, 2015, which is the start of the Martin Luther King Jr holiday weekend, Warner Bros said today.

U.N.C.L.E. is hoping to capitalize on the four-day MLK holiday which is one of the bigger moviegoing weekends of the year. This past year was a record-breaker.
  • :
    Producers are watching the first screening of #ManFromUNCLE today, to see how much needs editing/reworking! :)
    hm interesting... Usually not many people do well in January but on the other hand it's safer than releasing it in late 2014.

I really hope that they will use good marketing.. I really want the movie to be successful (and good obviously). If the movie is really good it will attract people and it will make good money. But again this it is a risk releasing it on MLK day. If they released it week later or earlier I think that they would have done better on the box-office.

But still it is to early to talk about it.
    There is a new set of UNCLE Special attachments being made in Japan by the PRODUCTS ZEKE. http://www.products-zeke.com/product2.html It's great to see that there is still such great interest in one of the best designed guns ever made. The Maruzen replica from Japan was an impressive piece of work and this one is even more so. Unfortunately, it looks like the ZEKE replica attachments will only be available in Japan. Fortunately, for those fans outside of Japan there are Brad Ferguson's remarkable U.N.C.L.E. Special replicas at the Unclegun.com
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    And I'm here. In JAPAN. If I can help any of you get something, I'm happy to do so.

(So I say, off the top of my head, not knowing what details that would entail ... trip to Tokyo? Cannot afford that. Just maybe, though, I could order something, get it, and ship it on to you ... ) :)
    Great to know. Thanks so much for the offer, that's very kind of you.

Are you over there on business or pleasure? Will you be there during the U.N.C.L.E. release early next year?
    If this movie is only half as good as I think its going to be, I will be outfitting myself with one of those replica guns, to compliment my Solo suit, Uncle briefcase, pen communicator, and ID badge (for when at HQ) and then I am out the door on mission. B-)
  • XXXXXX Banned
    timmer wrote:
    I don't believe there is an Uncle thread. I did search but didn't find. If so, apologies in advance. Please delete this thread and relocate comment.
    ===Ok that's out of the way. Anyway I just bought the complete Uncle TV series - now one of my proudest possessions. Amazon cut the price in half for one day so I pounced. Each of the 4 seasons are neatly packed in an official Uncle briefcase, which is real handy to have, in case you need to go on a mission. Each season has its own extras disc and there are two bonus discs with the set, dedicated to even more extras. Its a very complete set. What's missing though are 7 of the 8 Uncle theatrical releases. (one of the films is included as an extra) The season one extras-disc does though include the original "Solo" colour pilot, which was later heavily edited and transfered to black and white, as The Vulcan Affair, for the series debut, fall 1964. The pilot was also the basis for one of the films, so there are basically three versions of the same story and footage; the original TV pilot, the season-one debut episode and the theatrical film.
    For completists, Warner Brothers has just this year, released the 8 theatrical films in one dvd set, along with the complete Girl From Uncle series, which lasted only one season. WB however has released Girl From Uncle as a Part One and Part Two set.
    The good news though is that all of Uncle is now available for purchase, if you want to spend the cash. Basically 4 separate purchases are required.
    1. The Man From Uncle complete series (1964-1968); Seasons 1-4 including the colour "Solo" pilot. Season One is b&w. Seasons 2-4 are in glorious Metro colour.
    2. Complete movie set. All 8 films.
    3. The Girl From Uncle, Complete Series Part 1
    4. The Girl From Uncle, Complete Series Part 2
    Of note about the films. None are original from the TV series. All 8 are two-part TV-show episodes, with additional footage and fresh titles for theatrical release. So if you watch the whole TV series, you've basically seen the films. However the films do have that extra footage and the extra film is a little less PG, not having to pass mustard with the TV censors.
    Season two I think is Uncle at its absolute best. I am early into season two, having plouged through all 29 Season One b&w episodes. The colour makes such a difference. The producers clearly have made an effort to splash as much colour on the Uncle palette as possible to fully exploit the new colour tv medium, circa 1965.
    We learn from the extras, that Uncle really found its audience off the back of Goldfinger, which was released Dec. 1964. Bondmania fueled Uncle mania. Uncle was one of the biggest shows in TV-land by the time Season One wound down. Both stars were bombarded with fan mail, especiallyMcCallum, who enjoyed a pop-star like status. So season two debuted in glorious colour with no expense spared.
    I might even recommend starting with Season Two for maximum initial Uncle impact and then, when finished with Seasons 3 and 4, go back and watch how it all started with Season 1. One can see how the series finds its legs and style as Season One moves along. The show was perfected IMO by the time Season One was done.
    The Season One extras disc devotes some quality time discussing how Ian Fleming and Bond were the impetus for the series. Uncle is truly a child of Bond. When Robert Vaughn first read the Uncle pilot script, he remarked it was "Bond on TV."
    Producer Norman Felton says that the success of DN on screen is what prompted him to approach Fleming to help create a Bond-like TV show. Felton describes his initial meetings with Fleming. The two met in New York City, but because of Fleming's recent heart problems, Fleming insisted they walk and talk, as he needed the heart exercise. Felton recalls that Fleming spent much of their time together recounting his own intelligence exploits and really didn't offer up much in the way of developing a new series. It was Felton and Sam Rolfe who ultimately created the series, but Fleming did offer up the name Solo. Meanwhile, as Felton explains, when Eon caught wind of the project, they dissuaded Fleming from continuing, preferring he concentrate on Bond. Eon was also concerned that use of the character Solo would conflict with the upcoming GF, which of course included a Solo character. The compromise that was reached was that the name Solo would not be included in the title of the series, hence the dropping of the Pilot title "Solo" in favour of the iconic title that followed. Good move.
    Uncle is noted for its awesome rotation of guest stars. It was one of the hippest TV shows for an actor to be on. Each season has its own extras feature detailing that season's notable guest-stars.
    Of note for Bond fans: the Season One guest list included both Luciana Paluzzi and Richard Kiel. Paluzzi, fittingly plays a Thrush femme fatale, which foreshadows her TB role, which was just around the corner. Kiel turns up twice. First time in the pilot, in an uncredited henchman's role. He swings a pipe at Solo and that's it but its definitely Kiel. Kiel turns up later in another episode; this time in a meatier henchmen's role, in which he also has a few lines and a full credit. Kiel was battling the agents from Uncle long before he battled James Bond.
    Season One also features an episode in which Shatner and Nimoy first appeared on screen together. The same episode also includes the future Colonel Klink, Werner Klemperer. Other notables that turn up in the first season; Get Smart's Babara Feldon, Klink's Hogan's Heroes' sidekick, John Banner (Sargeant Schultz), Trek's James Doohan, Batman's Cesar Romero (the Joker) and Yvonne Craig (Batgirl), Sharon Tate, Robert Culp, Eddie Albert, Carol O'Connor, Ricardo Montalban and a host of others.
    The Uncle-girls are of course are a feast for the eyes. Not only the weekly guest star but also the female agents that populate the HQ and the Thrush enemy-agent ranks. TV just does not get any better than Uncle. Actually the Avengers gets equal props. The two shows are 1 and 1A IMO.
    Side note on the Avengers. Even though the Avengers, first hit the airways in 1961, a year before DN, the show is still very much a child of Bond. The TV producers, readily admit to being influenced by Fleming's books and sagely forecast the Bond driven spy-mania that would flourish in the 1960's. The Avengers was their response. The Avengers found its style in its second season, post DN, when Steed's gentleman spy took over as the main focus, from Ian Hendry's doctor-detective, David Keel. We also meet Honor Blackman's glamourous, Bond-girlish, Steed partner, Cathy Gale in the second season and the Avengers was off and running.
    Full rundown on Uncle's second season, when I'm done with it. Although I may take my time. It is 30 episodes and like a premium vintage, it should be savoured. Season 2, I think is Uncle at peak.
    I'm a huge fan, looking forward to the new movie
    edited March 2014 Posts: 12,459
    delfloria wrote:
    Great to know. Thanks so much for the offer, that's very kind of you.

Are you over there on business or pleasure? Will you be there during the U.N.C.L.E. release early next year?

I live here, @delfloria - I am teaching English and plan on being here another 7 to 9 years.
    :D So yes, if anyone wants, I can help get them product (within reason). Happy to try, anyway.
    Just PM me.

I do really look forward to seeing U.N.C.L.E.; I have no idea when it will open in Japan, though. I had a looooooooooooong wait for Skyfall, let me tell you; it nearly killed me. It didn't open in Japan until Dec. 1st.
  • At the moment these are the release dates announced for The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
    US 16 January 2015
    UK/Ireland (same as the US), 16 January
    France 21 January
    Spain 6 February
    Extra footage being shot now for the East Berlin car chase. (thanks LaneyBoggs)
  • delfloria wrote:
    Extra footage being shot now for the East Berlin car chase. (thanks LaneyBoggs)

Footage will be shot Monday at Leavesden Studio, no main cast actors expected!
    http://laneyboggs2001.tumblr.com/post/81512466478/man-from-uncle-reshoots-may-be-on-monday

https://twitter.com/QuirkyRides/status/452225788868177920

Also some footage is being shot in Italy as well
    http://www.osservatorelaziale.it/index.asp?art=10020
  • Jared Harris talks briefly about his U.N.C.L.E. role

http://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2014/04/22/jared-harris-talks-briefly-about-his-u-n-c-l-e-role/

Jared Harris: Excited To Be Apart Of "The Man From U.N.C.L.E

• edited April 2014 Posts: 4,622
    Uncle alert!!!

The new comedy release, The Other Woman, prominently features The Man From Uncle Theme.
    The mistress, Cameron Diaz, and the wife, Leslie Mann, get busy, stalking the cheating husband. As they launch their amateur spy, car-follow mission, up comes the Uncle theme full blast and extended for at least a minute or so.
    It's bounce in your seat time!! Oddly I don't think many in the audience would recognize the theme and its significance to the on-screen action, but us fans certainly would.
    The movie is otherwise generally awful for the most part, but it does have this Uncle interlude. Maybe some sort of early indirect promotion for the new film. I'd have to check. Maybe the same studio is involved with making both films.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    You guys could be of some help in another thread right now...
    Just bought a 2nd hand copy of the man from U.N.C.L.E magazine October 1967 I did not know of the excistance of this magazine. 144 pages of fun from another era. :D
  • Another name, Jeffrey Hatcher, a playwright and sometimes screenwriter, has shown up on the movie's IMDB.com entry as being among the writers. Given you don't usually hire writers during post-production, presumably that means he contributed previously.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1638355/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

The original press release for the movie only mentioned Guy Ritchie and Lionel Wigram as working on the screenplay.

Still no word on a composer.

• edited April 2014 Posts: 2,115
    Also, last week in the Detroit area, Henry Cavill did some post-production voice work.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=#Superman&amp;src=hash&quot;&gt;#Superman&lt;/a&gt; stopped by today! @chrishugan <a href="https://twitter.com/henrycavill">@henrycavill</a>; <a href="http://t.co/f3rl0DGbDl">pic.twitter.com/f3rl0DGbDl</a></p>&mdash; Ozone Music & Sound (@OzoneMusicSound) <a href=" 24, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

SaintMark wrote:
    Just bought a 2nd hand copy of the man from U.N.C.L.E magazine October 1967 I did not know of the excistance of this magazine. 144 pages of fun from another era. :D
    That Mag is treasure. I'd get it wrapped in plastic and store in a safe place. Uncle gold.

timmer wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    That Mag is treasure. I'd get it wrapped in plastic and store in a safe place. Uncle gold.

It was part of a bunch of Ellery Queen Mystery magazines and Alfred Hitchcocks' mystery magazines.

The earliest of my EQMM is 1945.
    That 2nd hand store sounds like a treasure trove of old serial mags.

I recently got a hold on an old 1980 Creem Rock mag, with Pat Benatar on the cover, in all her big-voiced spandex glory. Not letting go of that find. Never.
    Pat Benetar, as a adolescent she did create some stirring in my nether regions.

I just love the crmestories of old way before the DNA & CSI way, the more romantic side and those novels and magazines refer to those ages. Will take the Uncle magazine with me this weekend as I plan to visit my abode in the Belgian Ardennes.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 4,622
    "....my abode in the Belgian Ardennes" You lead an exotic life Saint. Belgian Ardennes, sounds like a setting for an Uncle episode. Watch out for any Thrush meet-ups or hidden installations.

re Benatar. You couldn't have picked out a mellower hit. I think she's better known for spandex powered high-heeled belters such as Hit Me With Your Best Shot, Treat Me Right, You Better Run...etc. I didn't like her back in the day, because I thought she was cheesy and all her songs seemed to be about "don't take any crap from your boyfriend" which I found offputting, as my gf did listen to her constantly.
    Later I came around to the brilliance and energy of the music. I am proud to say I have since acquired complete album collection, and I've seen her five times in concert from 1996 forward. Got a couple of the classic '80s spandex shows on dvd though. Great stuff! Pat IMO was the '80s queens of rock.
    Anyway on topic, I am sure she's a big fan of Uncle. She would have grown up in Jersey when the show was in its prime tv run.
    The Man From U.N.C.L.E. shows up in an unusual place...a U.S. journalism blog, about the series was ahead of its time when it came to drones.

http://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2014/05/12/how-u-n-c-l-e-was-ahead-of-its-time-on-drones/
    There's a major 50th anniversary event for The Man From UNCLE in September. Here's the website:

http://thegoldenanniversaryaffair.weebly.com/

It's taking place in the greater Los Angeles area. It includes a tour of what's left of the old MGM lot, where UNCLE was produced.

I hope I can attend. But it looks like a very good event.
    Thanks for the info! The drone article and brief clip were interesting, too.
    Which I could go to some events; I cannot as I am still overseas. But it sounds like fun!