The Man from U.N.C.L.E.: original series & films

Comments

Sorry, you won't be able to make it to "The Golden Anniversary Affair" 4EverBonded. We'll be thinking of you.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Have fun! I'm sure it will be a blast. :)>-
  • There may have been a test screening of the UNCLE movie on June 9 in Pasadena, California:

http://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2014/06/10/fans-say-theyve-seen-u-n-c-l-e-test-showing/

• The pickup scenes filmed earlier this year were for the test screening at the end of April just for the studio heads at WB. Which prompted reshoots last month. One of which was in Regents Park. A confirmed double for Henry Cavill was reshooting some scenes!

On Monday 9th of June, there was a test screening of The Man From U.N.C.L.E. in LA. i was able to get some feedback from two members of the audience.
    [url=" http://tmblr.co/ZvENgw1IVoEiX"] http://tmblr.co/ZvENgw1IVoEiX[/url]

• Rumour has it Theodore Shapiro will be scoring The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

See his work below:

http://www.shellybort.com/14/post/2014/04/mm-theodore-shapiro.html
  • In the U.S., The Man From U.N.C.L.E. will debut at 10 p.m. eastern time on Sunday, Sept. 7 on MeTV. It will be part of a "spy bloc" of shows, also including Mission: Impossible, The Saint (color episodes; MeTV has been showing the black-and-white episodes overnight Sunday/early Monday) and Get Smart.
  • Forgot to mention. MeTV is promoting the "spy block" as "The Spies Who Love ME."
  • Meanwhile, a look at UNCLE's odd post-series history.

http://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2014/08/06/u-n-c-l-e-s-odd-post-series-history/
    But that is probably a much better time tor release a film than Jan. :)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    2 months before Bond 24.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Any idea when any trailer for this comes out?
    It's certainly a film I'm looking forward to.
    Loved the TV show growing up, looking forward to this movie, and i love the theme so i hope it is included?!!! Classic tune! \:D/
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 4,622
    Another interesting blog entry @waverly.

Didn't know there was a debate within the online Uncle community about the film. We have been generally positive here in the online 007 community, which is where I kind of lurk, as my Bond fandom trumps everything else.
    Still as a huge Uncle fan, I will keep open mind, until the film is released.
    Mind you, as a huge Avengers fan as well, the 1998 film adaptation of the iconic series was a huge disappointment. The film looked great in still shots. It was very well designed as far as its look, but it lacked soul, for lack of a better word. It only captured the original Avengers appeal on a surface level. Just hope the new Uncle film doesn't fall into the same trap. We shall see.

• timmer wrote: »

Didn't know there was a debate within the online Uncle community about the film. We have been generally positive here in the online 007 community, which is where I kind of lurk, as my Bond fandom trumps everything else.
    Mind you, as a huge Avengers fan as well, the 1998 film adaptation of the iconic series was a huge disappointment. The film looked great in still shots. It was very well designed as far as its look, but it lacked soul, for lack of a better word. It only captured the original Avengers appeal on a surface level. Just hope the new Uncle film doesn't fall into the same trap. We shall see.

I don't want to exaggerate it. But there have been some anti-movie posts or comment sometimes on UNCLE-related Facebook groups. Also, sometimes there's an anti-movie response to a blog post.
    timmer wrote: »

I don't want to exaggerate it. But there have been some anti-movie posts or comment sometimes on UNCLE-related Facebook groups. Also, sometimes there's an anti-movie response to a blog post.

Those people already made their mind about the movie and no matter how good the movie is you will find negative reviews from them about the movie once it comes out
    edited September 2014 Posts: 12,459
    I remain keen on the film. I grew up with UNCLE and I'm happy there is a new movie about it. For Pete's sake, I definitely want it to be fun and well made. But upset there is even one being made? Oh honestly ... 8-|
  • 22-September was the show's 50th anniversary.

In the U.S., on Sunday night, one of the best episodes, The Quadripartite Affair was telecast on MeTV. It was the third episode broadcast and the first to give David McCallum's Illya Kuryakin significant screen time. It was written by Alan Caillou, a writer-actor, who wrote several of the best early episodes.
  • I remain keen on the film. I grew up with UNCLE and I'm happy there is a new movie about it. For Pete's sake, I definitely want it to be fun and well made. But upset there is even one being made? Oh honestly ... 8-|

Here's a post from last year about the general subject, including a gag photo (well, the photo was serious, but it has a gag caption).

http://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2013/10/06/some-fan-complaints-about-the-u-n-c-l-e-movie/
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    It will rock, no doubt. Slick & silly 60's fun. I'll be surprised if a sequel isn't planned before it's released.
    re fan complaints as listed in the hmss link, two posts above.
    IMO Hammer's Kuryakin look below is close enough. I will admit mild concern that Cavill might be too hulking, however it really will depend on how he carries the part. The trick is to work with Vaughn's general look and manner.
    Solo wasn't big but he certainly wasn't small. He was a smooth agent who could handle himself via smart self defence and hand-to-hand combat training. He had agent fight skills. So the trick is to bring that out as opposed to brute-strength fight skills.
    I think the production is perfectly capable of doing that.
    What remains to be seen is how well the actors, carry the roles.

uncleoct2.jpg
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 2,115
    re: today's MI6 article on U.N.C.L.E. This passage:

//The pilot episode was originally a 70 minute colour feature, but ***that version has long been lost** and a one-hour black and white version titled 'The Vulcan Affair' debuted on NBC on September 22nd, 1964. (emphasis added)//

There is a color version of the pilot on the DVD set with the Solo title. I'll have to check the running time.
    Excellent backgrounder on Uncle's origins and Bond connections, today on Mi6 homepage.

http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/history-the-man-from-uncle-debuts-1964?t=&s=&id=03760
    September 22nd was 50th anniversary of Uncle's TV debut. What a great week that was in 1964, featuring the cinema opening of Goldfinger, 5 days earlier, and the TV premiere of Uncle.
    =
    "'To Trap A Spy' was created from the pilot and included some additional plot filmed in April 1964 with Italian actress Luciana Paluzzi playing a sexpot character who lures an agent to his death. Were Bond producers watching as they prepared for 'Thunderball'?"
    =
    Yes, I do think the Bond producers were paying attention.

uncle2.jpg

If you really want to enjoy Paluzzi's Uncle performance check out the first Uncle Feature film,

To_Trap_A_Spy_Poster.JPG

//The pilot episode was originally a 70 minute colour feature, but ***that version has long been lost** and a one-hour black and white version titled 'The Vulcan Affair' debuted on NBC on September 22nd, 1964. (emphasis added)//

There is a color version of the pilot on the DVD set with the Solo title. I'll have to check the running time.
    I checked the run time. It's 1:10 so with the added Paluzzi subplot footage, they were able to flush the original colour pilot out to the full length feature above.
  • Thanks, Timmer!
  • FWIW, for those without access to the DVDs, the Luciana Paluzzi footage was used *twice*.

The first, as noted above, to add some length to the pilot so it could be released as a movie. Then, the Paluzzi footage, along with some extra footage done for the second UNCLE movie (The Spy With My Face) were edited into a new story for an episode called The Four-Steps Affair.

There is one character whose fate is much different. In The Spy With My Face, UNCLE agent Kitt Kittridge (Donald Harron) is killed by Solo's double. In The Four-Steps Affair (where the double doesn't appear), Kittridge survives.
  • Laney Boggs spotted it when UNCLE composer Daniel Pemberton went on Twitter to say he starts tomorrow (Oct. 24) recording his score for the new movie.