The Man from U.N.C.L.E.: original series & films

Comments

• The Man From U.N.C.L.E. episode guide now has reviews of all 29 episodes of The Girl From U.N.C.L.E.

http://uncleepisodeguide.wordpress.com/spinoff-the-girl-from-u-n-c-l-e-1966-67/
  • Just bought all five original movies, looking forward to revisiting these films I watched countless times as a kid.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I've got the five movies on DVD with extras that can only be played on the computer.
    I love the whole 60s spy movie genre. With the Matt Helm and Derek Flint movies.
    Here is an article about how "The Golden Anniversary Affair" celebrating U.N.C.L.E.'s 50 anniversary turned out.

http://www.cinemaretro.com/index.php?/archives/8316-INSIDE-THE-GOLDEN-ANNIVERSARY-AFFAIR-CELEBRATING-50-YEARS-OF-THE-MAN-FROM-U.N.C.L.E..html
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 4,622
    The Man From U.N.C.L.E. episode guide now has reviews of all 29 episodes of The Girl From U.N.C.L.E.

http://uncleepisodeguide.wordpress.com/spinoff-the-girl-from-u-n-c-l-e-1966-67/

Stellar work as usual. Great read. Nice resource and companion to the dvd set.
    Well discussed that April Dancer wasn't really allowed to be an action fight girl, a la Avengers girls, Cathy Gale and Emma Peel, especially Peel.
    delfloria wrote: »
    Here is an article about how "The Golden Anniversary Affair" celebrating U.N.C.L.E.'s 50 anniversary turned out.

http://www.cinemaretro.com/index.php?/archives/8316-INSIDE-THE-GOLDEN-ANNIVERSARY-AFFAIR-CELEBRATING-50-YEARS-OF-THE-MAN-FROM-U.N.C.L.E..html
    Another great read!! and such great photos. You guys are killing me.
    Everyone, do follow the link and indulge, you won't regret!
    UNCLEEVENT3.jpg

unclemuseumLazarusSpecialalanstephenson.jpg

unclemuseumcarbinealanstephenson.jpg
    DrGorner wrote: »
    I've got the five movies on DVD with extras that can only be played on the computer.
    I love the whole 60s spy movie genre. With the Matt Helm and Derek Flint movies.

Me too, Flint and Helm are great genre spoof fare, but respectful, and of the genre just the same.
    btw what is this 5 pak of Uncle films. There were actually 8 cinema films which are indeed all packaged in one handy dvd set.
  • re: 5 vs. 8 UNCLE movies.

There were eight. Several years ago, outside the United States, a five-movie package was released by Warner Bros.

A couple of years ago, Warner Archive released all eight. Warner Archive primarily services the U.S. market, but it's possible people outside the U.S. make arrangements to have them sent from friends or whatever.

All eight are as follows:
    --To Trap a Spy (full color version of pilot plus additional footage with Luciana Paluzzi).
    --The Spy With My Face (The Double Affair, which was filmed in color but shown on TV in black-and-white, plus additional footage).

As an aside, one first-season television episode, The Four-Steps Affair, includes extra footage from the two movies above. Thus, Luciana Paluzzi appeared in the series, but in Four-Steps, rather than the pilot

--One Spy Too Many (re-edited from Alexander the Greater Affair, parts One and Two, with some additional footage, mostly featuring Yvonne Craig, but one scene from the TV episode -- showing the significance of the number 5 at Alexander's rock quarry -- is subtracted)
    --One Of Our Spies Is Missing (re-edited from The Bridge of Lions Affair, Parts I and II -- Roman numerals used from here on out with the two-part episoes -- plus some additional footage).
    --The Spy In the Green Hat (re-edited from The Concrete Overcoat Affair Parts I and II).
    --The Karate Killers Affair (re-edited from The Five Daughters Affair Parts I and II, with some alternate versions of some scenes shot for the movie version).
    --The Helicopter Spies (re-edited from The Prince of Darkness Affair Parks I and II, with some alternate versions of some scenes. Also fixes some editing/continuity gaffes from Part II of the television version.
    --How to Steal the World (re-edited from The Seven Wonders of the World Affair Parts I and II). Movie version is only UNCLE production not to include Jerry Goldsmith's UNCLE theme. Music credit for the movie reads only, "Music by Richard Shores."
    I could never understand why they never put all eight of them on the disc.
  • The main difference between Fleming's two spy heroes.

One has a moral center. Which one could that be?

https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2014/12/09/the-main-difference-between-flemings-two-spy-heroes/
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 4,622
    The main difference between Fleming's two spy heroes.

One has a moral center. Which one could that be?

https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2014/12/09/the-main-difference-between-flemings-two-spy-heroes/
    I can help with the Bond " in cold blood" distinction. I see it this way. Both FRWL and CR are correct. Bond will execute assassination as a necessary part of his 00 job description, with the understanding that the the kills are for the greater good- kills that save lives, protect king and country, take out bad persons, that pose a real threat.
    Where he draws the line though is killing someone, spur of the moment, heat of the moment that he hasn't been sanctioned, assigned to kill. A good example of this situation is TMWTGG. He is reluctant to kill a defenseless Scaramanga. He doesn't act until Scarmanga makes a move.
    Compare with say Dirty Harry. Harry Calahan,in the Scaramanga scenario, would play both judge and executioner, and blow Francisico away without batting an eye.
    Bond won't do that. Bond will kill, when the killing has to be done. He understands that life has dealt him that responsibility. But unlike Callahan, he's not out to clean up the world. Bond is motivated by duty.
    Bond won't unnecessarily take a life, sometimes to a fault. He hesitates to kill one of DN's goons, while making his escape at Crab Key. The reason being, even though the guy was a killer, Bond had determined he could continue without taking the life. Honey wasn't quite so discerning.
    This scenario, I think illustrates Bond not wanting to kill in cold blood.
    He does take out Dr.No's crane operater earlier, because he has to, to complete the mission, to mitigate imminent danger.
    Motivated by his own sense of duty and responsiblity, the task at hand is to take out ther very real threat posed to himself and Honey, not to mention humanity in Dr.No.
    He hesitates later, when on the run, because the danger has been taken care of. He's not out to rid the world of Dr No's now patronless hired hands, just because he can.

Bond is also not above revenge. This is more evident in the movies, not so much the books, but even revenge for Bond has purpose.
    It falls under duty, if only a duty to his unique talents and the responsibility he carries, as opposed to official sanction.
    But Fleming's Bond won't kill without purpose. His Bond had a very definite moral centre.

I don't think Solo though, being a tv character, was quite as fleshed out as Bond.
    And Fleming's Bond IMO, was decidedly not anti-hero. He exhibited classic hero traits, such as willing to sacrifice oneself for others. Bond was flawed and indulgent of his indulgences, but that only makes him human. All heroes also exhibit human weakness.
    In fact I'd say Bond and Solo are cut from very similar cloth.
    I am not sure that Solo was ever asked to execute kills, ie act as assassin as Bond was required to do from time to time, but Uncle had a lighter tone than the Fleming novels.
    It might not have fit with the spirit of the Uncle show to have the charming lead, act as assassin, but in "real" life, I think an Uncle agent such as Solo, would have to be proactive and take out the enemy, as assigned from time to time.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Extremely well thought out & expressed @timmer!! Total agreement here!
    And prompted by another excellent piece from the good folks at hmssweblog.
    I originally wanted to simply, try and wrestle , what actually does seem to be a Fleming contradiction re Bond killing in cold blood........ and then went off on a ramble. :D ~O)
    Oh well. Keyboard and too much coffee can be a dangerous thing.
  • Joseph Sargent, who directed 11 Man From UNCLE episodes (and 1 Girl From UNCLE episode), dies at 89. Won 4 Emmys, nominated for 5 others. Also did some feature films.

https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2014/12/22/joseph-sargent-accomplished-director-dies/
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 11,119
    Just...post the damn image :-P. Here in full quality. I'm getting excited about this spy thriller:

His name is Bo....ehh...sorry....Solo! Napoleon Solo :-P:
    243A443400000578-2884313-Super_spies_Gaby_Teller_Alicia_Vikander_left_Illya_Kuryakin_Armi-a-44_1419290691175.jpg
    article-0-187F110300000578-363_634x883.jpg
    article-0-18782B7C00000578-960_634x589.jpg
    article-0-187F11FD00000578-371_634x463.jpg

And Hugh Grant is "M"...ehh...sorry......Mr Waverly :-P:
    article-0-187822CA00000578-358_634x441.jpg
    article-2442226-18782B7600000578-119_634x405.jpg

I think Henry Cavill is up there with Idris Elba to replace Daniel Craig......AFTER HE HAS MODE TWO MORE FILMS AFTER "SPECTRE" off course ;-).
    Solo & Illya invade the villain's lair. Image from Laneyboggs2001. Join us at the "The Man from U.N.C.L.E. Inner Circle" Facebook group for more U.N.C.L.E. adventure. [img][/img]newsoloampillyainwarehouse_zps92e35a3b.jpg
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Great photos! This films seems to be a very good looking, fashionable, and with a fun 60's vibe. Really looking forward to it. I loved UNCLE and Girl from UNCLE.
  • @4EverBonde?? 2015 is a unique year. A year FULL of spy/action movies. It's the "spy craze" all over again (with reference to the 1960's) :-D! "Mission: Impossible 5", "The Man From U.N.C.L.E ", "Kingsman: The Secret Service", "Spy", "Gunman" andddd off course "SPECTRE". Mann, we Bond fans will be spoiled brats in 2015 8-}.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Yes, 2015 is going to be a big year for the spy genre. Bond is going to have to deliver something absolute something incredible to leave these pretenders in the dust. ;)
    The U.N.C.L.E. film looks and feels much different from the current 007 films. There will be a lot of different choices for spy fans this year.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 11,119
    Anddddd, the first look at the revamped U.N.C.L.E.-logo. It looks very cool :-D!!:
    photosol.JPG

In comparison with the original:
    images.jpg

It's just very plain. Henry Cavill IS Napoleon Solo ;-)
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 5,767
    Comingsoon has among other things a new foto. I have yet to see a shot from this project that doesn´t look fabulous.

http://cdn3-www.comingsoon.net/assets/uploads/2015/01/635560680917296292-MAN-UNCLE-MOV-jy-1187-.jpg

• edited January 2015 Posts: 4,622
    Oh that is a good photo. They do look very Solo and Ilya!

635560680917296292-MAN-UNCLE-MOV-jy-1187-.jpg
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I am really looking forward to this!
    timmer wrote: »
    Oh that is a good photo. They do look very Solo and Ilya!

635560680917296292-MAN-UNCLE-MOV-jy-1187-.jpg

That really is a cool picture! B-)
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 11,119
    Here's a great article about the upcoming "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.", as well as some insight in the new "Mission: Impossible 5" movie.

total_film.png

By the way, can someone change the title into "The Man From U.N.C.L.E."? That's the official title.

Also, more info about the plot, videos from actual filming and rehearsing and more pictures:
    henry.jpg

The plot:
    ...set against the backdrop of the early 1960's, at the height of the Cold War, 'The Man from U.N.C.L.E.' follows 'U.N.C.L.E.' agents 'Napoleon Solo' and 'Illya Kuryakin'. The two team up on a joint mission to stop a mysterious international criminal organization, which is bent on destabilizing the fragile balance of power through the proliferation of nuclear weapons and technology. The duo’s only lead is the daughter of a vanished German scientist, who is the key to infiltrating the criminal organization, and they must race against time to find him and prevent a worldwide catastrophe...

The music score of "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." will be composed by Daniel Pemberton. It will be his first big screen music score, as he was mainly doing TV series before this production.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 2,115
    Daniel Pemberton sent out a number of Tweets during recording of the score last fall. He didn't give anything away, except for a picture of sheet music showing one of the tracks is titled, "His Name Is Napoleon Solo."

Some details:
    https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2014/10/12/u-n-c-l-e-music-future-and-past/

https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2014/09/23/u-n-c-l-e-movie-score-recordings-starts-sept-24/
    2015, it would seem Spying is a bit of an in thing again. :)
    Here's a nice live jazz ensemble version of the music from "U.N.C.L.E.", off course with Jerry Goldsmith's original theme included:

But expect more bigger orchestrated music from the actual score. This is a picture from the hall where the score was conducted by Daniel Pemberton:
    BzvFGnLCQAAXZ3t.jpg:large
    The Man from Uncle, had a fantastic theme. :)